Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I mean I’m generally against cash bail so $1,000 is fine. Whether the dude should have bail in the first place is uh… yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

vacation pay*

*lol. Lmao.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Bored As gently caress posted:

$1k for what should've been considered attempted murder.

The gently caress is wrong with that judge and prosecutor.

It's attempted murder if you use a gun, but in the US we've devoted massive effort toward ensuring that people aren't punished for car crimes, MADD's efforts to reduce drunk driving notwithstanding. It's routine for drivers to kill people and walk free because it was an "accident." I don't know the specifics of that incident, but it's no real shock that it wasn't taken seriously. Hell, recently I had a guy try to run over me with his truck (as in, full eye contact, mashing the gas, I jumped out of the way and would have been dead or permanently hosed if I hadn't) and the cops just asked if he had a gun or other weapon and lied about having a detective call me back. I even had the guy's name and address. If you want to do some killing your best bet is to buy a big truck or SUV and pretend you're just a really bad driver when they catch you.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Loucks posted:

It's attempted murder if you use a gun, but in the US we've devoted massive effort toward ensuring that people aren't punished for car crimes, MADD's efforts to reduce drunk driving notwithstanding. It's routine for drivers to kill people and walk free because it was an "accident." I don't know the specifics of that incident, but it's no real shock that it wasn't taken seriously. Hell, recently I had a guy try to run over me with his truck (as in, full eye contact, mashing the gas, I jumped out of the way and would have been dead or permanently hosed if I hadn't) and the cops just asked if he had a gun or other weapon and lied about having a detective call me back. I even had the guy's name and address. If you want to do some killing your best bet is to buy a big truck or SUV and pretend you're just a really bad driver when they catch you.

Combine that with the fact that it was a DV case and courts aren't great about taking that seriously in the first place.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Notahippie posted:

Combine that with the fact that it was a DV case and courts aren't great about taking that seriously in the first place.

Good point.

I did see a claim in another thread that the low bail was in part due to a covid-related backlog resulting in no way for him to get a speedy trial, so they set the bail low and released him to avoid having to dismiss the case. Don't take that as definitive in any way because I have no idea whether this is 1) true or b) makes any sense at all because I'm neither a lawyer nor familiar with that state's legal system.

My cloudshouting about car crimes stands, however.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
^^^^^^ Completely agree with you on the car crimes. That's bullshit and the laws need on that need to change.

I know my brain's busted to poo poo, but don't we have a ton of excess lawyers out there looking for jobs? With a glut of lawyers out there, you'd think that there would be enough goddamn judges (hopefully not from the Federalist society) to get through a backlog of cases.

This poo poo is inexcusable. Not keeping DV perpetrators in jail while the case goes to court gets people hurt or killed. Also, far too many people are out on bond for assault with a deadly weapon, or straight up murder. End cash bail for sure, but institute no bail for some crimes.

A victim of domestic violence getting a restraining order is fine, but a piece of paper l isn't going to stop a 5,000lb truck or a bullet. And not all states allow instant gun purchases, and a lot of states restrict the carrying of concealed weapons, so even if a DV victim does have a firearm at home (and hopefully had good training on its use), all the rear end in a top hat wife beater has to do is wait while she's going or coming home from work.

My mom volunteered at one of the women's shelters near us. She said it was in a nondescript building, no signs, no number on the building. They had to keep the location a secret because DV perpetrators might find out the location and find their partner.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 22, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Black guy, apparently.

https://heavy.com/news/darrell-brooks-jr/

This site seems chuddy but it has a lot of info collected about him already.

Are Tucker Carlson and his chorus of fascist lackeys howling about this guy yet?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Other legal news:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1462908274156703754

lol they subpoenaed roger stone and alex jones

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I took this picture recently

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

facialimpediment posted:

Other legal news:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1462908274156703754

lol they subpoenaed roger stone and alex jones
... Hunger Games actress Jennifer Lawrence??

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Are Tucker Carlson and his chorus of fascist lackeys howling about this guy yet?

Andrew Torba, the guy who runs GAB, declared this an attack on white Christians.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cugel the Clever posted:

... Hunger Games actress Jennifer Lawrence??

Thankfully no.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Andrew Torba, the guy who runs GAB, declared this an attack on white Christians.

At this point in their rhetoric anything and everything is an attack on white Christians. Not attacking them is an attack because you're just trying to make them look bad when they retaliate for it.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjb8mv/qanon-jfk-cult-tearing-families-apart

I know it's vice, but still. I'm waiting for the next waco with these people now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm still surprised nobody's dropped a nonchalant hard R on Tucker's show yet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I didn't know J Law was a chud... shame.

Kazinsal posted:

I'm still surprised nobody's dropped a nonchalant hard R on Tucker's show yet.

They have that 8-second or something thing for live TV, otherwise it's probably happened on the show a few times.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That Works posted:

She's not.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The POS who killed five people and wounded another 40 is facing five counts of first-degree intentional homicide. Unsurprisingly he's got a history of violence against women.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/11/22/us/waukesha-parade-crash?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Hmm, not clear whether he was prohibited from driving after trying to run someone over previously. All around sad situation

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

That Works posted:

That movie she did with Crisp Rat musta really broke her brain.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Pine Cone Jones posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjb8mv/qanon-jfk-cult-tearing-families-apart

I know it's vice, but still. I'm waiting for the next waco with these people now.

Yeah I’ve seen commentary these people need intensive anti-cult deprogramming to have hope of returning to society.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
why would super right wing nutjob q people want a dem president back anyways?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't think it's a very coherent ideology

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ded posted:

Evidently because the 60s - before the protests and civil rights movement - is now (evidently) "the ideal America": https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2021/11/22/why-are-some-qanon-factions-obsessed-with-dallas-and-the-kennedys/

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ded posted:

You're thinking about it harder than they are - but I think it's because if JFK comes back, all the other Q-poo poo gets validated (donnie's back, democrat pedophile cabal, lizard people). That means that the democratic trials and summary executions start.

It is basically a death cult, after all :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That Works posted:

Different Lawrence, the actress is probably getting called by every entertainment reporter in the world right about now.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RimH7NKX7Wo

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Much like an unpleasant biopsy result, this is unsuprising but at least it's official
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1462812351145693193

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
drat, for real? Are they sure?

https://twitter.com/kaileytracy/status/1462882049354838021?s=21

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
What the ever loving gently caress is that lunatic saying that poo poo for?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Did a motive get released for the guy who drove the car into the parade yet?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bored As gently caress posted:

What the ever loving gently caress is that lunatic saying that poo poo for?

She's hoping that she can get a racist white juror to vote to acquit and hang the jury.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Did a motive get released for the guy who drove the car into the parade yet?

He was fleeing something (potentially an incident with a knife), came to police barricades, drove past them, he starts driving around to find a way through and actively doesn't seem like he's trying to run anyone over. At some point police start shooting at his car and he eventually says gently caress it and guns through a section then hauls rear end away.

It wasn't someone trying to deliberately kill people.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The perp was out on bond for a nasty DV charge and would normally not have been granted release pretrial. However, he was at the limit of his speedy trial rights, and they couldn't get him to trial because covid had everything backlogged. The prosecutors and defense worked out a deal that speedy trial would be waived and he'd get a $1000 bond.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

At some point police start shooting at his car and he eventually says gently caress it and guns through a section then hauls rear end away.

Clearly the lesson to take away from this is that suburban police forces need their own Predator drones with sword missiles. :colbert:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Mr. Nice! posted:

He was fleeing something (potentially an incident with a knife), came to police barricades, drove past them, he starts driving around to find a way through and actively doesn't seem like he's trying to run anyone over. At some point police start shooting at his car and he eventually says gently caress it and guns through a section then hauls rear end away.

Seriously? So, at first he was just fleeing something benign, ran through the barricades but hadn’t hurt anyone, the cops opened fire and he gunned it into the crowd out of sheer panic??

This poo poo can’t be real

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Seriously? So, at first he was just fleeing something benign, ran through the barricades but hadn’t hurt anyone, the cops opened fire and he gunned it into the crowd out of sheer panic??

This poo poo can’t be real

See if you can guess why the officer might've thought going loud on a moving car was a good *justifiable* idea: https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/us/what-we-know-about-suspect-in-waukesha-parade-tragedy/index.html

Pursuits are dumb.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only video I've seen have the only shots fired occurring clearly as he's exiting the parade route, after he's murdered a bunch of people. I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise.
https://twitter.com/wxandnews/status/1462562235344199688

Though there's nothing to say he intended to run over a bunch of grannies and little girls when he entered the route, judging by the top down footage, he clearly makes a decision to accelerate through them.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
What's a DV charge?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

You know, even in "Remedial Gun Handling 099" you're taught "know what's beyond your target before you pull the trigger of a loaded weapon."

I guess once you earn a badge you get to ignore that. =/

"Well, sure - I hit a sweet little old granny who crocheted blankets for cancer patients on her way home from bingo but I couldn't just *let the suspect get away*!"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

piL posted:

What's a DV charge?

domestic violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

piL posted: