Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Domestic violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Gotcha, thanks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah, I don't know when the cops started shooting or if that's what caused him to run. I just know that's a thing that happened. All of the details aren't out. I don't mean to speculate on that.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Mr. Nice! posted:

At some point police start shooting at his car and he eventually says gently caress it and guns through a section then hauls rear end away.

It wasn't someone trying to deliberately kill people.

That video is from Wisconsin and North West Ave, the end of the parade route. The only report of police firing at the vehicle so far is after.

efb, etc.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 23, 2021

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I think the most likely scenario is he was fleeing some sort of altercation or situation where he figured he was gonna get arrested (while out on bail) if he didn't get the gently caress out of there immediately, got stuck in a parade, and then made the snap decision that he was going to push through no matter what. Just a piece of poo poo domestic abuser who decided to have a complete disregard for human life so he wouldn't have to go to jail. Not a deliberate terrorist attack but the results were worse than a lot of purposeful ones.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
And, to be clear, the tweet I posted completely erroneously claims that he fired a rifle into the crowd, when anyone with eyes can see the only shots in the footage are from the officer. That's definitely the end of the route, though (compare with Google Maps). I haven't seen anything suggesting a pursuit and there's a distinct lack of sirens or pursuit in the video where he's barreling down the route before ramming all the people. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but it'd be surprising for it to have not yet come out.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't see how anyone can think shooting at a speeding car is a good idea.

Best outcome, you nail the dude and now you have an out of control car. Congrats you've endangered the public.

Worst outcome, the bullet misses and nails a pedestrian.

edit: Like I'm not sure what the correct play is, but it seems firing at a dude even actively trying to nail pedestrians doesn't seem like the best solution.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 23, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't see how anyone can think shooting at a speeding car is a good idea.

Best outcome, you nail the dude and now you have an out of control car. Congrats you've endangered the public.

Worst outcome, the bullet misses and nails a pedestrian.

edit: Like I'm not sure what the correct play is, but it seems firing at a dude even actively trying to nail pedestrians doesn't seem like the best solution.

Cops do it on tv all the time, therefore it must be cool and good.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I think a statistical argument for that is plausible, and I can't get a true understanding of positioning without someone doing some legwork on a map. However, in the very narrow time window of "right before those barricades" this seems like a trolley problem with little girls and grannies on one track, and the driver plus someone's yard on the other.

vv well nvm then, I misunderstood the timing.

piL fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 23, 2021

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

piL posted:

I think a statistical argument for that is plausible, and I can't get a true understanding of positioning without someone doing some legwork on a map. However, in the very narrow time window of "right before those barricades" this seems like a trolley problem with little girls and grannies on one track, and the driver plus someone's yard on the other.
The little girls and grannies were already pulverized by the SUV's grill and ground beneath its tires at that point, so the trolley problem doesn't quite fit.

Luckily the auto industry is still a few years away from 10'-tall grills, or we could have had even more deaths!
https://twitter.com/aabluedot/status/1461969021100646402?t=sKPzNcRdOjFIzS6eAdyyvw&s=19

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m pretty skeptical of the police in most cases but this is that pretty extreme case where after he started running people down he you gotta do whatever you can to stop him. Watching how he drove into crowds it seemed deliberate, especially if you were the cop in that situation knowing only that this psycho is ramming crowds one of the rare situations like an active shooter I think it’s your duty to shoot because you have to assume he’s gonna either come back or find a new crowd to ram.

He just seems like a narcissist piece of poo poo who gave zero fucks and would rather kill or maim dozens than face consequences.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lmao baked Alaska got swatted on livestrean

https://twitter.com/mxtaliajane/status/1463073952092377092?t=eNzedHs0uSltKqd6w-OXOQ&s=19

I mean, ACAB but gently caress baked Alaska so win win?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

No harm no foul right boys?

https://twitter.com/jilevin/status/1463162463579525128?s=20

quote:

A Baltimore County police officer convicted of rape was allowed to remain on home detention, prosecutors announced Monday, after a judge determined at the man’s sentencing that there was “not evidence of any psychological injury to the victim,” even though the woman claimed she received therapy.

Anthony Westerman was convicted in August on multiple counts of rape, sexual offense and assault of a 22-year-old woman in 2017. Westerman, 27, who was separately convicted of assaulting another woman in 2019, was sentenced Friday to 15 years in prison for second-degree rape.

But Circuit Judge Keith Truffer suspended all of the sentence but four years of home detention for the 2017 conviction while Westerman pursues an appeal. Truffer also sentenced Westerman to just one day in jail for the 2019 assault, which he described as a “boorish” act, according to prosecutors.

Scott D. Shellenberger, the state’s attorney for Baltimore County, said in a news release that Truffer “determined that there was not evidence of any psychological injury to the victim despite the fact that she indicated she has received therapy for the attack on her and that the Judge had stated at the time of the verdict that what had happened to the victim ‘may be the most traumatic moment of’ her life.”

Shellenberger said in a statement to The Post that “the sentence was not what we expected or were asking for.”

“I do not believe that in this particular case that home detention is an appropriate sentence,” he said. “A police officer should know as well or better than others the reprehensibility of such an act. I fear this could cause rape victims to hesitate to report their crimes if they do not feel like they will get justice.”

Brian Thompson, Westerman’s attorney, said it was “factually incorrect” to say the judge sentenced his client to home detention and that Westerman could still face prison time. Thompson, who described the matter as a “he said, she said case,” said the prosecution failed to submit “reasonable proof” of the victim’s psychological trauma to the court record. Westerman plans to appeal the conviction, he said.

“He maintains his innocence, and we intend to keep fighting until we clear his name,” Thompson said of Westerman. “He did not commit a crime. This was two drunk people hooking up, and it turned into an alleged crime several years later.”

A spokesperson with the Baltimore County Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Westerman, who joined the department in 2013, has been suspended without pay, prosecutors said.

The judge’s ruling comes a week after another case in which a man convicted of rape was not given prison time at his sentencing. Christopher Belter, a 20-year-old New York man who pleaded guilty to rape and sexual abuse for assaulting four teenage girls during parties at his parents’ home, will not face jail time after a judge sentenced him to eight years’ probation. Although Belter faced a maximum sentence of eight years in prison, Niagara County Court Judge Matthew J. Murphy III concluded that time behind bars for the man “would be inappropriate.”

Article continues beyond that as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hometown making the news again.

https://twitter.com/richardawebster/status/1462774838150545410?s=21

https://twitter.com/RichardAWebster/status/1462774842021888004?s=20

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

That's hosed, they should just gather/pair that data from drivers license data (where people self-idntitify) rather than have police officers doing a literal pantone test at the window.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I had a job once where we were supposed to collect race and ethnicity data for events that we held and the existing practice when I started was to stand at the back of the room and "eyeball it".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I feel like I remember quite a few times I was filling out race questions and I recall white being the only option to me even though I’m chicano/Hispanic/not white.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

I had a job once where we were supposed to collect race and ethnicity data for events that we held and the existing practice when I started was to stand at the back of the room and "eyeball it".
Ugh, I'm triggered.

The nonprofit sector has been grappling with inequality for a long time now. So many funders want demographics so they can feel good that their money is going to "underserved communities." Worked with an arts organization that was dealing with a major funder that wanted more non-white people to attend the free public concerts said organization put on all summer in a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood. Concerts that you just walked into the neighborhood park where they were happening and enjoyed. So said nonprofit did exactly this. Eyeballed the poo poo out of it and low and behold, their stats showed more non-white participation.

This story repeats 1000 times across the nonprofit sector. Unless it's something like a school with enrolment forms or a social service organization with intake that specifically can ask race (or thanks to physical segregation, zip code) everyone is eyeballing it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Crab Dad posted:

I feel like I remember quite a few times I was filling out race questions and I recall white being the only option to me even though I’m chicano/Hispanic/not white.

I'm used to seeing Hispanic/non as an option separate from race.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Most demographic questions split it off between race (Caucasian, African American, etc.) and ethnicity (Hispanic or Latino origin or not).

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

And here my 9 year old demanded a king sized candy bar for getting the shot from CVS. She got two because gently caress it why not.

How many shots do you guys get as a rule? Growing up in glorious social democratic kingdom of :sweden: it felt like we got a vaccine for something every other month.

Slight hyperbole might apply to the above but there was quite a few.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

I noticed several years ago that on pretty much all government forms, 'hispanic' has been removed from all 'Race' questions and is now it's own separate category under ethnicity. It kind of makes sense because you can have white & black hispanic people. But us brown hispanic people are now expected to check off 'white' since we don't fall under any other racial category. I usually pick other or leave it blank now.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Don't use Wirecutter to Christmas shop this weekend.

https://twitter.com/wirecutterunion/status/1463175088325505035?t=XnFewDhH_7yEMUIFEPdpTw&s=19

I'm really hoping the Kellogg strike ends soon, I'm dying for some frosted flakes. But I ain't no scab.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

AFStealth posted:

I noticed several years ago that on pretty much all government forms, 'hispanic' has been removed from all 'Race' questions and is now it's own separate category under ethnicity. It kind of makes sense because you can have white & black hispanic people. But us brown hispanic people are now expected to check off 'white' since we don't fall under any other racial category. I usually pick other or leave it blank now.

Every time I can fill it in I put either Chicano or Aztec Warrior.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

InAndOutBrennan posted:

How many shots do you guys get as a rule? Growing up in glorious social democratic kingdom of :sweden: it felt like we got a vaccine for something every other month.

Slight hyperbole might apply to the above but there was quite a few.

They get quite a few in new born through 3ish years old and is dependent on state. I’d wager 5-8 different series during that time. After 3 it starts tapering out to maybe one a year. We’ve never turned a shot for either kid but they were born in southern states. When we moved to New York we had to get my daughter a booster or two to be compliant for public school.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AFStealth posted:

I know it's a question that got added to the ATF 4473 sometime within the last decade. One presumes it was to ensure invading Communist troops will eventually have more data point to look at.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

facialimpediment posted:

I'm really hoping the Kellogg strike ends soon, I'm dying for some frosted flakes. But I ain't no scab.

This is the best argument for converting to a coffee and cigarette breakfast there ever was

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

This is the best argument for converting to a coffee and cigarette breakfast there ever was

I got bad news for you about the tobacco industry, if you are boycotting to support labor

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

RFC2324 posted:

I got bad news for you about the tobacco industry, if you are boycotting to support labor

I get you. Moonshine and home grown weed it is

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RFC2324 posted:

Not if he's getting these one...well based on what some have said about "non-existent workcamps or genocide." :smuggo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chunghwa_(cigarette)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

stealie72 posted:

Ugh, I'm triggered.

The nonprofit sector has been grappling with inequality for a long time now. So many funders want demographics so they can feel good that their money is going to "underserved communities." Worked with an arts organization that was dealing with a major funder that wanted more non-white people to attend the free public concerts said organization put on all summer in a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood. Concerts that you just walked into the neighborhood park where they were happening and enjoyed. So said nonprofit did exactly this. Eyeballed the poo poo out of it and low and behold, their stats showed more non-white participation.

This story repeats 1000 times across the nonprofit sector. Unless it's something like a school with enrolment forms or a social service organization with intake that specifically can ask race (or thanks to physical segregation, zip code) everyone is eyeballing it.

My MegaCorp decided to award more contracts to minority or women owned businesses. Overnight many long term vendors run by white guys decided their wives should be considered the company owner now, while changing nothing else. The folks running our program were pleased a number went up to prove our commitment to social justice.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

I'm used to seeing Hispanic/non as an option separate from race.

Yeah, I've seen that a lot as well.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

That Works posted:

No harm no foul right boys?

https://twitter.com/jilevin/status/1463162463579525128?s=20

Article continues beyond that as well.

Silver lining is that hopefully the appeal will get soon be heard by another judge instead of this chuge at which point he’s still on the block to serve the rest of his time in real prison. This only applies until his appeal is denied.

loving ridiculous though

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1463238599705571334

quote:

The lawsuit accused some of the country’s most well-known white nationalists of plotting the violence, including Jason Kessler, the rally’s main organizer; Richard Spencer, who coined the term “alt-right” to describe a loosely connected band of white nationalists, neo-Nazis and others; and Christopher Cantwell, a white supremacist who became known as the “crying Nazi” for posting a tearful video when a warrant was issued for his arrest on assault charges for using pepper spray against counter demonstrators.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Jury deadlocked on the federal conspiracy charges, but supported everything else. The number could still go up on the 7 defendants that lost default judgements by not showing up.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1463165025070325781?s=20

Buzzfeed has some really good reporting on this too. Christopher Miller has been live tweeting the whole case.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/christopherm51/unite-the-right-charlottesville-verdict

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

My MegaCorp decided to award more contracts to minority or women owned businesses. Overnight many long term vendors run by white guys decided their wives should be considered the company owner now, while changing nothing else. The folks running our program were pleased a number went up to prove our commitment to social justice.

Had a Program Management course in grad school that pretty much amounted to how to triple word score the 'veteran/disabled/minority/disadvantaged/etc' bingo card for Federal contracts, as well as how to skim off the top through sub contracting.

Afterward found out the lecturer was banned from all Federal contracts after an incident where it was discovered that one of the subcontract suppliers he was using for aerospace grade fairing bolts was actually getting them from Lowes and counterfeiting the head markings. After the Feds took everything that wasn't nailed down, he landed a gig 'securing outside investment' for the university.

Definitely learned something from that course, just not what that guy thought he was teaching.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Silver lining is that hopefully the appeal will get soon be heard by another judge instead of this chuge at which point he’s still on the block to serve the rest of his time in real prison. This only applies until his appeal is denied.

loving ridiculous though

The appeal was filed by the defense and is going to cover issues the defense wants corrected.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1463310357187940356

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1463318567399604226

It's been weird seeing a doomsday prophet get developed in real-time, usually they just kind of pop up from nowhere into sudden "oh, that dude runs a cult" status. Really surprised he hasn't officially relapsed yet, though he's addicted like hell to conspiracies and himself.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The NFL Pylon Shortage of 2021:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/11/19/the-pylon-shortage-of-2021-daily-cover

Starcraft posted:

You must construct additional pylons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

facialimpediment posted:

It's been weird seeing a doomsday prophet get developed in real-time, usually they just kind of pop up from nowhere into sudden "oh, that dude runs a cult" status. Really surprised he hasn't officially relapsed yet, though he's addicted like hell to conspiracies and himself.

I leave my tv on weathernation sometimes and they still run his ads, with relatively low frequency. In one he opens talking about cancel culture and sheets, then my brain starts smoking and sparking while I seek out the mute button so I don't remember anything past that.

Frankly I'm surprised he's not down in Dallas with the JFK/Jr nuts. And I wouldn't doubt he's on something. I mean, it's obviously not going to be downers.