Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
What is going on with this game? I am really bad and just carried a series of ranked matches. Twice I had BBs turn into my Des Moines and I killed them 1v1? Is the C Columbo just really bad???
:confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

What is going on with this game? I am really bad and just carried a series of ranked matches. Twice I had BBs turn into my Des Moines and I killed them 1v1? Is the C Columbo just really bad???
:confuoot:

Bad players. The Columbo is a pretty good ship, and would be able to blap you for 20k basically anywhrere if it weren't for the previously mentioned bads.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Stanley Pain posted:

10 crates and got the Atlanta B and the Alaska B. Already had the Alaska.

Then you have the doubloons mission!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

General Battuta posted:

Yeah this game isn’t pay to win; it’s more play to pay, where it allows you to get some of the way just by playing the game then uses sunk cost effect to encourage you to drop real money to finish what you started. Dockyard, early access to new lines, a few free tokens to get you started and then real money to get to the real prizes. Even premium (which is honestly pretty fairly priced and easy to get for free) is set up as “look how much you’re missing out on by playing without premium.”

All of this is true, and I am the first to talk poo poo about capitalism; however, the software is free therefore, in order for the company that makes and updates the game to keep in business, keep making content, and keep the servers up… they have to charge people for something…

Which means they have to make what they charge for enticing enough for people to :homebrew:

Now that doesn’t mean WG hasn’t done some really shady poo poo with gamble boxes, but I am hardly going to complain that premium makes the game less grindy.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
They give out a lot of free premium time anyway, and unlike every other thing in the store the prices for premium time are reasonable. The upshot of all the loot boxes, early access ships, and ridiculously expensive premium ships is that their business model is based on getting hundreds of dollars from people who buy ships just to collect the 3D models and from weirdos who must have the newest overpowered premium ship, so if you aren't one of those (and you don't care about fighting premium ships with a disadvantage, or you only play tier 10) the game is basically free.

It's also the weird thing with people complaining about Wargaming's unethical business practices, the complaint is that you don't get enough for your money if you spend $1000 on warships. None of it is noticeable otherwise. Premium ships have been overpriced the whole time the game has existed, and it's even gotten better with the dockyard events that let you buy a premium ship for less than $60, but selling six weeks of early access to a ship for more than someone wants to pay is morally bankrupt (and it's morally bankrupt because they bought it anyway and so were forced to spend more than they wanted :rolleye:)

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 20, 2021

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Out of all the complaints I am especially mistified by the ones about early access. Just don't pay it, and wait to get it for free? It's quite simple really.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I liked when they did the year of premium for half off and, with missions and random apology crates I ended up with 18 months of premium for $50.
:hai:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

I liked when they did the year of premium for half off and, with missions and random apology crates I ended up with 18 months of premium for $50.
:hai:

Same. I don’t know if they did this more recently than this because I took about a two year break from this game, but back in 2017 or 2018 I bought a year of premium for around $45.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I looked for it last year, but didn’t see it. I got mine xmas 2019, so the perfect pre-pandemic present.

Ironically though, I was so busy with work I barely played after March...

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I bought ten more because I hate myself and got the Saipan, Kaga and Pommern. Already had a Pommern too lol

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:chloe:

Is that cheaper than just buying the botes?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
8 losses in a row.

In every single case no ship other than mine moved more than one gridline beyond spawn. Most reversed from spawn to start. All cases every single cap was claimed by the enemy before half our BBs took damage.

Took 4 reports today, in what I'm assuming is completely unrelated news.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
I wanted the Alaska B, but got dragged into the gambling thingy. Ended up buying 30 Black Friday Premium crates (as a true degenerate 10 at a time).
Got a Cossack DD, a Kaga CV and in the penultimate crate the Alaska. Also got 30 days of premium, some 140k free XP, 7-800 K commander XP and a boatload of different camos. As my one splurge this month, I feel content.

The free XP will help unlock the German TX G.K, so it's ready to be given for free as a special ship once they update that line over new years.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Blindeye posted:

8 losses in a row.

In every single case no ship other than mine moved more than one gridline beyond spawn. Most reversed from spawn to start. All cases every single cap was claimed by the enemy before half our BBs took damage.

Took 4 reports today, in what I'm assuming is completely unrelated news.

The FDG hell continues:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:chloe:

Is that cheaper than just buying the botes?

A hundred bucks for 5 premium ships, a bunch of dubloons, and other misc stuff... hrrm...

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
EH, for the conversation earlier, I still view some of the premium ships to obviously be hitting that p2w setup. Like enterprise post rework. Granted, wargaming stopped selling it, but they still shake it in boxes at times iirc.

But lets move on to comedy hour. What happens when you take 9 schlieffens into a battle supported by a richthofen, montana, and conqueror?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdKjpXPrnGg

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
tbf, i think those 3 just didnt have any schlieffens.
Ok maybe the richthofen fot spotting, but monti and conq just are there since they havent got schlieffens.

still lmao.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Opened up 3 of my free crates and got a Loyang lmfao. I walked away a bandit this Black Friday.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I got some black camo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Wargaming have forgotten what happened with Sir Foch and have just had a russian streamers youtube taken down for copyright infringement. The crime? Saying the game is bad.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/qzt2kf/wargaming_bans_russian_streamers_channel_on_yt/

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

JuffoWup posted:

EH, for the conversation earlier, I still view some of the premium ships to obviously be hitting that p2w setup. Like enterprise post rework. Granted, wargaming stopped selling it, but they still shake it in boxes at times iirc.

But lets move on to comedy hour. What happens when you take 9 schlieffens into a battle supported by a richthofen, montana, and conqueror?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdKjpXPrnGg

Now I need to see some 12v12 SchlieffenDome. What will melt first, the ships or the servers?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Wargaming have forgotten what happened with Sir Foch and have just had a russian streamers youtube taken down for copyright infringement. The crime? Saying the game is bad.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/qzt2kf/wargaming_bans_russian_streamers_channel_on_yt/

Hearing from people who watched his channel, apparently it was full of racist slurs, homophobia, and vulgar rants against specific WG employees.

Sounds like a much bigger issue than "says game bad", tbh.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Devorum posted:

Hearing from people who watched his channel, apparently it was full of racist slurs, homophobia, and vulgar rants against specific WG employees.

Sounds like a much bigger issue than "says game bad", tbh.

second comment in that threat goes into more detail about that:

quote:

As a Russian speaker I had been occassionally watching a Nomen stream for maybe 3-4 years. Aside from having some absurd views about the game itself (Thunderer, Georgia, Alaska, being bad, Kremlin unplayable bad, DDs and smokes being OP, general poor level of knowledge about game mechanics) he has been very abrasive and offensive in a way Foch has never even dreamt to be. Nomen is a guy who would spend 30 minutes describing how WG employees of his choice should f*** their mothers. On top of it an endless stream of racist slurs (WG catering to the n***ers in the West you know) and homophobia all over. So while I wouldn't piss on WG if they were on fire, Nomen is the last guy you should rally behind. He is a Zoup rather than a Foch.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Then I am embarrassed to have not looked a bit further into it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I had multiple ranked matches with no BBs last night and it was the most fun the game has ever been.

Burns
May 10, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Then I am embarrassed to have not looked a bit further into it.

Problem is the russian guy was banned not for his content but rather for copyright claim. Thats a bigger problem.

That goes for just about any streamer really, its like always on thin ice.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Burns posted:

Problem is the russian guy was banned not for his content but rather for copyright claim. Thats a bigger problem.

That goes for just about any streamer really, its like always on thin ice.

Yeah, definitely could have taken a different route than reminding every streamer they can end them at a whim.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Devorum posted:

Yeah, definitely could have taken a different route than reminding every streamer they can end them at a whim.

Most likely they did; and the only way that WG could assuredly rely on YouTube to remove the videos is to make a copyright claim.

The fact of the matter, like it or not (I don’t for the record), is that WG owns the copyright to their gameplay; and while there are certain fair use rules that YouTube does not enforce (another problem), anything more than about 2 minutes of WG game streaming does not fit into any of those fair use categories.

Meaning every streamer and youtuber who makes WOWs content using gameplay videos should not need reminded that we live in a global capitalist society where creators—be they individuals or companies—‘own’ their copyrighted material and can always shut down people using that content in their videos at a whim.

This is the case regardless of WG “reminding” people by exercising their ‘rights’ as the IP owner.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Is there a setting or mod that'll show the difference between: "Detected, no one is targeting you" vs "Detected, you do not have Priority Target"?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Darkrenown posted:

Is there a setting or mod that'll show the difference between: "Detected, no one is targeting you" vs "Detected, you do not have Priority Target"?

There's a captain skill that tells you how many people are targeting you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Darkrenown posted:

Stanley Pain posted:

There's a captain skill that tells you how many people are targeting you.

The skill is called Priority Target, iirc. There is also a mod that adds a countdown timer to the indicator for when you fire guns!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Yeah, if you take a closer look at my post you will see I do already know of the skill Priority target and how it lists how many ships are targeting you. My question was regarding how it can be misleading when you go from a ship WITH Priority target to a ship WITHOUT PT, because it lulls you into a false sense of security by looking as if no one is targeting you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, if you take a closer look at my post you will see I do already know of the skill Priority target and how it lists how many ships are targeting you. My question was regarding how it can be misleading when you go from a ship WITH Priority target to a ship WITHOUT PT, because it lulls you into a false sense of security by looking as if no one is targeting you.

Ah, my bad...there is a mod which lists your captain skills on the side above the chat, which is I think the closest to what you are asking. It's called Crew Perks in Battle in the modstation.

I don't believe there is anything to change the indicator itself to let you know the skill isn't active.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah my brain didn't parse that question well at all. If you want/need priority target you need to get it on all your captains. There's no in-between.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah my brain didn't parse that question well at all. If you want/need priority target you need to get it on all your captains. There's no in-between.

I find incoming fire to be a good compromise, because primarily I use both skills to inform my situational awareness for dodging incoming salvos.

I only put this on a select number of ships though (never, ever a BB for instance), and have no problem remembering which ship captains have which skills; so, yeah… if you are a person who has problems with this, I have no idea how to help.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Lol, ok. I have something like 200 ships which I'm knocking snowflakes off of after several months of not playing this game. If you can simply remember all those skills forever, good for you, but it's an incredibly basic bit of UI design to indicate a difference between a skill being present or not.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I just...look before launching a match? I'm also knocking the cobwebs off a ton of boats, so I check my captain skills before hitting the "play" button unless it's a boat I'm familiar with. Seems easier than cluttering up my UI.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
In what world would a little "(0)" by the "Detected" when you have PT but no one is aiming at you clutter the UI?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Darkrenown posted:

Lol, ok. I have something like 200 ships which I'm knocking snowflakes off of after several months of not playing this game. If you can simply remember all those skills forever, good for you, but it's an incredibly basic bit of UI design to indicate a difference between a skill being present or not.

There is a mod available that shows your currently mastered skills and equipped gear in battle, it's on mod-station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
A lot of discussion over a non-problem. If you are only playing to knock snowflakes off, just do it it in co-op where it doesn't matter what skills you have. If you want to actually take the time to play randoms, maybe spend 30 secs setting up your signals, camos, equipment etc and checking your captain skills before clicking play.