Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Love my President embracing idiotic republican talking points as policy.

https://twitter.com/zekejmiller/status/1463117344843124739?s=21

Desperate attempts to gain another voter cross all party lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Makes sense, he already embraced the idea that the stimulus checks caused inflation.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

The strategic reserve has to be the dumbest talking point. You have that so that you can run for a month if you get a pipeline bombed or unrestricted submarine warfare makes all the Corp shipping flee like cowards. Releasing any amount of it won't shift prices one cent. Because that's not where the problem is. You have a distribution backlog because hazmat trucking pays peanuts and sucks rear end if you like socializing.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

Like Obama, he probably thinks that if he does what they ask, he might get their support for something else.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Barrel Cactaur posted:

The strategic reserve has to be the dumbest talking point. You have that so that you can run for a month if you get a pipeline bombed or unrestricted submarine warfare makes all the Corp shipping flee like cowards. Releasing any amount of it won't shift prices one cent. Because that's not where the problem is. You have a distribution backlog because hazmat trucking pays peanuts and sucks rear end if you like socializing.
Yeah if they are doing that it tells me they aren’t serious about fixing the actual issues or just can’t figure out how to fix them

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Once all of those college and graduate degree holding long distance truckers start paying back their student loans they will be desperate enough to return to the job without any change in working condition such as pay scale and thus capital is not threatened and the problem is solved.

Surely this plan cannot backfire because the people making these decisions are brain geniuses that clearly have a finger on the pulse of reality for the peasant class.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Releasing oil from the strategic reserve to relieve a temporary clustertruck that's causing a spike in oil prices seems like exactly the sort of situation where you should use the reserves, and by definition is a one-time band-aid fix while we work out a solution.

Are y'all so eager to hate Biden that you've got to make lower gas prices into a bad thing?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tibalt posted:

Releasing oil from the strategic reserve to relieve a temporary clustertruck that's causing a spike in oil prices seems like exactly the sort of situation where you should use the reserves, and by definition is a one-time band-aid fix while we work out a solution.

Are y'all so eager to hate Biden that you've got to make lower gas prices into a bad thing?

He's been very poor about the climate, and this measure will do nothing to alleviate gas prices. His numbers will not improve.

I think once the Congress is fully Republican, his numbers will tick up, but 2024 will be a true test for Biden.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 23, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Nonsense posted:

He's been very poor about the climate, and this measure will do nothing to alleviate gas prices. His numbers will not improve.

I think once the Congress is fully Republican, his numbers will tick up, but 2024 will be a true test for Biden.

He hasn't been poor on climate and adding supply may reduces prices.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

He hasn't been poor on climate

citations needed

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
This is just stupid

https://twitter.com/derekwillis/status/1463153305803182087

I know books are already one way politicians can get money funnelled to them, to make it easier is just asinine.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

He hasn't been poor on climate and adding supply may reduces prices.

For one, just yesterday, he renominated Jerome Powell to chair the fed instead of literally anyone who understands and is willing to act on the relationship between the economy and climate change.

Or, last week, just after promising to lead the world at COP 26, Biden authorized a massive auction of 80M acres for drilling in the Gulf. This locks us into years (decades?) of more emissions.

Dude is poor on climate, prove me wrong.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Leon Sumbitches posted:

For one, just yesterday, he renominated Jerome Powell to chair the fed instead of literally anyone who understands and is willing to act on the relationship between the economy and climate change.

Or, last week, just after promising to lead the world at COP 26, Biden authorized a massive auction of 80M acres for drilling in the Gulf. This locks us into years (decades?) of more emissions.

He's authorizing more drilling because I don't think you're gonna completely wean off oil in 30 years. The technology just isn't there yet. You either pull the ripcord and start something resembling chaos now as oil prices skyrocket or you try to buy time with cheap energy while you work on another fix. The issue is they aren't investing in a fix. Western civilization is way too dependent on fossil fuels for us to arbitrarily stop supply of oil without a backup plan.

Eventually clean energy is going to replace fossil fuel energy just by free market forces. But you still need to jumpstart it with federal funds which I can see being resisted by the profiteering fossil fuel companies. I think both industries require investment until oil dependence is reduced by alternate technologies.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

He's authorizing more drilling because I don't think you're gonna completely wean off oil in 30 years. The technology just isn't there yet. You either pull the ripcord and start something resembling chaos now as oil prices skyrocket or you try to buy time with cheap energy while you work on another fix. The issue is they aren't investing in a fix. Western civilization is way too dependent on fossil fuels for us to arbitrarily stop supply of oil without a backup plan.

Eventually clean energy is going to replace fossil fuel energy just by free market forces. But you still need to jumpstart it with federal funds which I can see being resisted by the profiteering fossil fuel companies. I think both industries require investment until oil dependence is reduced by alternate technologies.

Again: He didn't authorize it. The Courts did. Red States sued because he was refusing to authorize it during the pause and review of leases. This gets brought up over and over and its completely taken out of context.
It is currently on appeal.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/544720-14-states-sue-biden-administration-over-leasing-pause-for-public

Also: LMAO that the Free Market is going to solve Climate Change. The Free Market got us in this mess. The Free Market is why Natural Gas is replacing Nuclear Plants. The Free Market doesn't give a loving poo poo.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Jerome Powell was an Obama appointee to the Board of Governors before Trump appointed him Chairman. He's been there before Trump. And also: Previous poster is right, the problem is OPEC is squeezing us right now because a certain Saudi leader is pissy Biden won't meet with him.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 23, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Again: He didn't authorize it. The Courts did. Red States sued because he was refusing to authorize it during the pause and review of leases. This gets brought up over and over and its completely taken out of context.
It is currently on appeal.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/544720-14-states-sue-biden-administration-over-leasing-pause-for-public

Also: LMAO that the Free Market is going to solve Climate Change. The Free Market got us in this mess. The Free Market is why Natural Gas is replacing Nuclear Plants. The Free Market doesn't give a loving poo poo.

Jerome Powell was an Obama appointee to the Board of Governors before Trump appointed him Chairman. He's been there before Trump. And also: Previous poster is right, the problem is OPEC is squeezing us right now because a certain Saudi leader is pissy Biden won't meet with him.

I'm not saying the free market will fix it on its own. I'm saying you build clean energy in parallel and eventually you wont be able to avoid using it because it'll be better than whatever the fossil fuel companies are doing now.

Maybe I'm optimistic. But the reason everyone's using natural gas and other stuff is because its cheaper due to the high up front costs of setting up a clean energy infrastructure... That's why government investment in R&D and infrastructure is so important. No one else will do it but there's always a benefit at the end.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Apparently NYC is going to approve voting in local elections for permanent residents and foreigners with working visas and a lot of Americans who earned their citizenship the hard way by choosing to be born here are real mad about the un-American idea of representation for taxation.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Leon Sumbitches posted:

that was a trump era deal that the biden admin tried to stop but a court ruled against them

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Meatball posted:

Like Obama, he probably thinks that if he does what they ask, he might get their support for something else.

Think of all the political capital he's racking up to use on things later :downs:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Unlike Obama, Biden has already gotten Republicans to help him with a thing. Yes, the bipartisan infrastructure bill threw progressives under the bus and endangered the entire BBB bill, but Obama threw progressives under the bus and abandoned huge parts of his agenda without getting Republicans to help him with anything.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

the_steve posted:

Think of all the political capital he's racking up to use on things later :downs:

I'm excited for the day when a dem president finally uses that political capital I hear so many things about instead of spending all that time charging it up.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Meatball posted:

Are we sure this isn't more about looking like he's doing something on an issue where he otherwise can't do much at all? Weren't posters here complaining about that earlier?

Biden really does need to look like he's doing everything he possibly can. I think a lot more visible performative steps, even if it got knocked down by GOP-appointed judges, would help him politically. That shouldn't be the ultimate decisionmaking thought process, but that is an unfortunately important part of being leader of our stupid country.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Kraftwerk posted:

As a pedantic aside, we will never be fully free of oil. Something like 12% of all oil and oil by-products (petrochemicals, natural gas, etc) drilled is used for non-energy uses - plastics, solvents, asphalt, fabrics, fertilizers; even when we stop burning the stuff we will still drill for it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm not saying the free market will fix it on its own. I'm saying you build clean energy in parallel and eventually you wont be able to avoid using it because it'll be better than whatever the fossil fuel companies are doing now.

Maybe I'm optimistic. But the reason everyone's using natural gas and other stuff is because its cheaper due to the high up front costs of setting up a clean energy infrastructure... That's why government investment in R&D and infrastructure is so important. No one else will do it but there's always a benefit at the end.

The solution we need that can actually deal with Climate change is already here. We keep closing them like Indian Point. Illinois actually did the right thing and saved their nuclear plants.

skylined! posted:

As a pedantic aside, we will never be fully free of oil. Something like 12% of all oil and oil by-products (petrochemicals, natural gas, etc) drilled is used for non-energy uses - plastics, solvents, asphalt, fabrics, fertilizers; even when we stop burning the stuff we will still drill for it.

Yeah, there's always going to be a need for hydrocarbons for things, but ending the burning of them is a significant step.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

skylined! posted:

Yes... and since this is a non renewable resource with no substitutes we're really going to want to reduce our use to leave enough for those applications.

I'm hopeful that anything that can't be electrified can be migrated to some kind of algae derived biofuel. It's frustrating that we have all these potential solutions and zero will from the state to invest in them and get ahead of the curve. I mean OPEC can decide the economic fates of entire continents and we're still sitting on our hands continuing to depend on oil as a strategic resource for energy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm hopeful that anything that can't be electrified can be migrated to some kind of algae derived biofuel. It's frustrating that we have all these potential solutions and zero will from the state to invest in them and get ahead of the curve. I mean OPEC can decide the economic fates of entire continents and we're still sitting on our hands continuing to depend on oil as a strategic resource for energy.

But that's the problem: OPEC commands that ability because we cannot replace large portions in a timely manner. Like cars: Maybe if there was a massive subsidy to move off fossil cars, we could shake OPEC's resolve. There's not. Also, there's the issue that a large amount of electricity needed to power electric cars is fossil derived, so you just move the goal posts, that or electrifying mass transit means we need to replace, joule for joule of energy, fossil with other sources. We can already do that.

Really, we need less R&D, more subsidies and national construction efforts to build out renewable and nuclear infrastructure. We already have all the tech we need, what we need is to actually build it.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

CommieGIR posted:

Really, we need less R&D, more subsidies and national construction efforts to build out renewable and nuclear infrastructure. We already have all the tech we need, what we need is to actually build it.

And build it quickly.

At the same time, although a lot of the popular worries about nuclear power are overblown, you do want to build your nuclear power plants with an almost "overbuilding" mindset, no? The conflict between the economic and political consequences of a plant going wrong mixed versus the usual free market incentives to halfass things whenever you can to maximize profits really gums up the works. It makes plant construction a really long process full of delays and that's ignoring the local resistance you often run into once construction is announced.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Eric Cantonese posted:

And build it quickly.

At the same time, although a lot of the popular worries about nuclear power are overblown, you do want to build your nuclear power plants with an almost "overbuilding" mindset, no? The conflict between the economic and political consequences of a plant going wrong mixed versus the usual free market incentives to halfass things whenever you can to maximize profits really gums up the works. It makes plant construction a really long process full of delays and that's ignoring the local resistance you often run into once construction is announced.

There's also the fact that we've been out of the business of building nuclear plants for nearly 20 years. This problem is happening at Votgle: We're having to re-learn how we do this as engineering plans meet the real world of construction.

Versus the Russians who have made the VVER series of reactors practically into an assembly line and can repeat the construction over and over with ease.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1463167961116471296

They were just tourists though, right guys?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Hey thread, what have y’all been up to over the weeke-:stonk:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yes it's blended so heavily into pop. It's just more appealing to the "libs" and by this I mean the Republican kids that are just as lib as real libs. They need club music that's also :heritage: in a way.
So has “lib” finally completed its transition into meaning “person I don’t like”? I’ve never been the clearest on the dividing lines, but that tracks with how it felt the whole time.

CommieGIR posted:

There's also the fact that we've been out of the business of building nuclear plants for nearly 20 years. This problem is happening at Votgle: We're having to re-learn how we do this as engineering plans meet the real world of construction.

Versus the Russians who have made the VVER series of reactors practically into an assembly line and can repeat the construction over and over with ease.
Add this to how nuclear plants take so much longer to get up and running in the first place, and you have a perfect recipe for one of the several changes in administration to disrupt the whole process and ruin everything. Thanks, America!

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

CommieGIR posted:

To this point, there are more people in China who know how to build a Westinghouse AP1000 plant than there are at Westinghouse US.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

osker posted:

To this point, there are more people in China who know how to build a Westinghouse AP1000 plant than there are at Westinghouse US.

Yup, and to that end China is also doing a lot more construction of newer Gen IV reactors like the new Pebble Bed reactor they just brought online and will connect to the grid before the end of the year

https://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Chinas-HTR-PM-reactor-achieves-first-criticality

This is kind of the highlight in our fight against Climate Change: We need to stop pretending its an R&D issue. The solutions are here, its the impetus to actually build and invest in them rather than cheap and dirty tech that is lacking.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 23, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trazz posted:

Oh really? What's the Democratic equivalent of the Southern Strategy

Just catching up but I believe it was called the "Sister Souljah moment"

I think it also had other names like "Tough On Crime" etc

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

Just catching up but I believe it was called the "Sister Souljah moment"

I think it also had other names like "Tough On Crime" etc

What was the "Sister Soulja moment"? I know it was a Clinton-era thing.

e: Never mind; apparently there's a whole Wikipedia article on it. I was just a kid during the 1992 election but drat...Clinton sucked far worse than I thought.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Its probably why Wyoming is basically taking naval reactors and putting them in buildings.

3 Mile Island, Chernobyl and Fukushima has terrified everyone on a wider scale than MRNA vaccines. I wish there was a way to undo this fear or to brazenly proceed with nuclear without giving a poo poo what people think (See: The French).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

Its probably why Wyoming is basically taking naval reactors and putting them in buildings.

3 Mile Island, Chernobyl and Fukushima has terrified everyone on a wider scale than MRNA vaccines. I wish there was a way to undo this fear or to brazenly proceed with nuclear without giving a poo poo what people think (See: The French).

Things are changing, believe it or not, public perception of nuclear power is actually above 50% approval for the first time since the 80s. So hopefully that'll help.

SMRs also will help a lot because it eliminates the massive overbuilding requirements and makes modularity and assembly line construction easy.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 23, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

AmiYumi posted:

Hey thread, what have y’all been up to over the weeke-:stonk:

So has “lib” finally completed its transition into meaning “person I don’t like”? I’ve never been the clearest on the dividing lines, but that tracks with how it felt the whole time.

Nah, I just mean that new country music is appealing to the conservative kids who are really just liberals at heart with a Trump banner or flag. They want to party smoke flavored juul pods and chill, but they don't always want rap music to be an outlet of expression. Thus country pop.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kraftwerk posted:

The m is lowercase, like m'Lady, because mRNA was discovered by a goon

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

What was the "Sister Soulja moment"? I know it was a Clinton-era thing.

e: Never mind; apparently there's a whole Wikipedia article on it. I was just a kid during the 1992 election but drat...Clinton sucked far worse than I thought.

Gotta love that her clapback to old Slick Willie calling her the black equivalent to David Duke was to point out Bill was still a member of a whites-only golf club in 1992, and he only finally resigned his membership because it would look bad in his presidential campaign.

Obviously it wasn't a problem in his gubernatorial campaigns because well Arkansas

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Nah, I just mean that new country music is appealing to the conservative kids who are really just liberals at heart with a Trump banner or flag. They want to party smoke flavored juul pods and chill, but they don't always want rap music to be an outlet of expression. Thus country pop.
Bet; there’s plenty of those kids who are party-line Rs because Dad told them so and that’s all the thought they’ve ever put into politics.

Taylor Swift made the country/pop line impossible to distinguish, not that it was all that strong for the prior 40 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It wasn't just a gun, it was some insane shotgun pistol thing made to skirt around sawed off shotgun laws. If he'd shot anyone with it, at pistol range... I don't even want to think about the damage it could have done.