Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The m is lowercase, like m'Lady, because mRNA was discovered by a goon

He wore his lucky fedora in the lab that day. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had to take a cab today and the driver had some chud talking head's show on and it honestly just sounded like a transcript of a shitpost from this thread, nothing but shrieking about how dumb and goddamn crazy the libs are and also a joke about how Australia was a penal colony and maybe he shouldn't say penal on air

So that was an exciting look into what everyone's uncles are listening to

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I had to take a cab today and the driver had some chud talking head's show on and it honestly just sounded like a transcript of a shitpost from this thread, nothing but shrieking about how dumb and goddamn crazy the libs are and also a joke about how Australia was a penal colony and maybe he shouldn't say penal on air

The horseshoe is real

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

It wasn't just a gun, it was some insane shotgun pistol thing made to skirt around sawed off shotgun laws. If he'd shot anyone with it, at pistol range... I don't even want to think about the damage it could have done.

Jesus... I'll admit I didn't even read the story. I just saw that this guy was armed and his "defense" was basically "you're lucky I didn't get to do what I was there to do"--admitting guilt and intent in one sentence--and thought of this thread and the couple of "they were just tourists" posts I saw here last week.

Welp. Can't wait for Dems to fully piss away their congressional control by next year and for the investigation to dry up in an instant before anyone significant gets arrested and charged. I think legalizing weed alone would be enough to at least slow the bleeding but that alcohol lobby money is apparently better than staying in control and passing your purported agenda.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

You know things are going well for Democrats when they start comparing the lefties to chuds. :wink:

Speaking of which, some tidbits from a Third Way-conducted focus group:

quote:

The problems cut far deeper than the failings of their gubernatorial nominee, Terry McAuliffe, or President Joe Biden’s flagging approval ratings. Rather, the Democratic Party’s entire brand was a wreck.

“Voters couldn’t name anything that Democrats had done, except a few who said we passed the infrastructure bill,” the center-left group Third Way and its pollsters said in a report, obtained first by POLITICO, on focus groups they ran in Virginia.

Most of the voters Third Way spoke with in suburban Virginia focus groups, according to the report, “could not articulate what Democrats stand for. They could also not say what they are doing in Washington, besides fighting.”

And those were just the people who voted for Biden.

As Third Way’s Matt Bennett put it, “It’s not great news. Any [focus group] report that starts out, ‘Our weak national brand left us vulnerable’ is not great news.”

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

drat looks like those voters didn't get the message that Democrats don't owe them anything (insert claps as appropriate)

Hopefully the party works hard to push that critical message out before the midterms

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

You know things are going well for Democrats when they start comparing the lefties to chuds. :wink:

I wonder what Third Way brushed aside or ignored when it comes to popular policies that were ignored like drug pricing, child tax credit, etc. They're that centrist group that want p much nothing to change so I assume they are putting their thumb on the scale.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

RBA Starblade posted:

So the policies and goals they were shrieking about are the same policies and goals that others in here complain about, right? Not just the same targets of ire, but also coming from the same place?

Cause otherwise, what a stupid comparison

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Biden has be out there every day explaining things he’s doing to combat higher prices and supply chain issues, even if they’re not actually going to work.

This is how politics works - if he doesn’t speak to the problems impacting regular people, he’s toast.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

It wasn't just a gun, it was some insane shotgun pistol thing made to skirt around sawed off shotgun laws. If he'd shot anyone with it, at pistol range... I don't even want to think about the damage it could have done.

While it's definitely a gun that would have killed some one, it is also a Taurus Judge so it's probably the worst handgun he could have picked. It's basically a gun for idiots that want to look cool.

edit: vvv Well yes but it's heavy, low capacity, not very accurate, and the buckshot has bad penetration compared to an actual shotgun

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 23, 2021

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

TGLT posted:

While it's definitely a gun that would have killed some one, it is also a Taurus Judge so it's probably the worst handgun he could have picked. It's basically a gun for idiots that want to look cool.

So every gun you see someone open carrying.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Willa Rogers posted:

To add to this:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1463168214121205777?s=21

A lot of people are going to be disappointed

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Extremely funny that even these Third Way empty suits stuffed with Koch Brothers cash are starting to go "hey it seems like if we can't govern then...that means...no....votes for us?" Meanwhile Manchin and Sinema are coiled around their dragon hoards of coal and pharma money hissing "No" and we're all shocked that the guy who campaigned on "nothing will fundamentally change", "I have no empathy" is pretty much cool with it and doesn't care very much at all about a meaningless platform that he let Bernie write in exchange for his endorsement and money and leverage.

It's starting to seem like winning with Joe Biden was worse for the future of the Democratic party than losing to Trump would have been because he's completely destroying all faith and trust in the party as an institution and as a protector of working or middle class interests, and even losing young people and PoC. But on the other hand it means my beaten, reluctant vote for Biden/Harris last November was a vote to destroy the Democratic Party after all so that's very very funny and some comfort I guess.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

I wonder what Third Way brushed aside or ignored when it comes to popular policies that were ignored like drug pricing, child tax credit, etc. They're that centrist group that want p much nothing to change so I assume they are putting their thumb on the scale.

Third Way strongly supports the BBB legislation & Biden's presidency, and has been promoting both.

https://twitter.com/ThirdWayTweet/status/1463158467225608200
https://twitter.com/ThirdWayTweet/status/1461432330703224835

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fallom posted:

The horseshoe is real

It was the random digression into the word "penal" that got me thinking lol

quote:

I didn't say whose shitposts :)

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 23, 2021

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

VitalSigns posted:

It's starting to seem like winning with Joe Biden was worse for the future of the Democratic party than losing to Trump would have been because he's completely destroying all faith and trust in the party as an institution and as a protector of working or middle class interests, and even losing young people and PoC.

A Democrat win, period, doomed the party. The country is in the shithole, with problems everywhere, and the folks in charge are gonna take the blame

This lets the Republicans easily blame the Dems for all the problems started during—and by—the Trump admin. Short of unprecedented effective legislation, there’s no winning for the people in charge over the next couple of years.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

lil poopendorfer posted:

A Democrat win, period, doomed the party. The country is in the shithole, with problems everywhere, and the folks in charge are gonna take the blame

This lets the Republicans easily blame the Dems for all the problems started during—and by—the Trump admin. Short of unprecedented effective legislation, there’s no winning for the people in charge over the next couple of years.

Everything Trump did was a win until Biden took office. If Trump had gotten another 4 years all the "issues" today would be "features" until the next Democrat took office. There is no waiting for republicans actions to blow up in their faces because it never happens. The right just learns to enjoy the burning sensation on their cheeks and announces that having your eyebrows singed off is how America is supposed to be.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

lil poopendorfer posted:

SpartanIvy posted:

Everything Trump did was a win until Biden took office. If Trump had gotten another 4 years all the "issues" today would be "features" until the next Democrat took office. There is no waiting for republicans actions to blow up in their faces because it never happens. The right just learns to enjoy the burning sensation on their cheeks and announces that having your eyebrows singed off is how America is supposed to be.

What the gently caress are you two going on about? Do you think all the problems with America started under Trump? Here's a non-exhaustive list of problems that are not Trump's fault that the Dems aren't fixing and don't seem to want to fix:

Student debt
Medical debt
The medical system in general
Weed crimes
Climate change

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trump wouldn't be hurt as bad by supply chain issues because he would be on TV and Twitter every day saying he's putting 10 new tariffs on Jyyyyna and he means business and they won't get away with this.

It would be completely stupid and if anything would exacerbate the problem, but that doesn't matter because a lot of people would feel like somebody in charge is doing something and that's comforting. Biden could benefit too if he did almost anything other than tell everyone Christmas is canceled and we have to wait and pray that the free market god sorts everything out. Kinda similar problem with Obama and the Democrats taking over in 2009, refusing to finger the people responsible for the crash except to bail them out, and then just going "well once all you losers get foreclosed on the markets will finally get a chance to recover"

Trump probably would have won if he'd taken covid seriously at all and tried to even half-rear end a response instead of just saying it doesn't exist and if it does maybe an Easter miracle will take care of it (and then gotten it himself lol). I'm still amazed that he went with the dumbest possible strategy of just figuring it would stay in New York City and he could just blame it all on Cuomo

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

theCalamity posted:

To add to this:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1463168214121205777?s=21

A lot of people are going to be disappointed
Christ, voters need their own episode on the "Well there's your problem" podcast. Dems keep thinking they can run from the problem of voters being this stupid and uninformed. How's that working out? Meanwhile R's run circles around us with literally zero actual policy positions outside of vague hand wavy nonsense and race baiting because they understand that humans are driven by status anxiety and that perception > reality.

How can people so smart be so incompetent?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 23, 2021

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

SpartanIvy posted:

Everything Trump did was a win until Biden took office. If Trump had gotten another 4 years all the "issues" today would be "features" until the next Democrat took office.

I have my doubts theres going to be a next Democratic president. The next time Republicans get the trifecta (probably 2024, considering all the supression), they'll pass laws that basically mean you need the house to win the presidency; they will simply never certify a democrat as the winner of a presidental election ever again; they'll cite allegations of fraud and certify the Republican, gently caress the popular vote and EC vote.

If they win house majorities in the midterms, they're seating the republican in 2024 by fiat. Like what they tried to do in 2020, but will have enough votes to pull it off. If the dems sue, a 6-3 Supreme court will side with the Republicans and that's that.

Meatball fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 23, 2021

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Willa Rogers posted:

Third Way strongly supports the BBB legislation & Biden's presidency, and has been promoting both.

https://twitter.com/ThirdWayTweet/status/1463158467225608200
https://twitter.com/ThirdWayTweet/status/1461432330703224835

Voters don't understand our economic policies because they're explicitly designed to not have tangible, immediate, direct benefits for the working class so we gotta... Talk about our economic policies we've been talking about even harder.

Christ.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-Blackadder- posted:

Christ, voters need their own episode on the "Well there's your problem" podcast. Dems keep thinking they can run from the problem of voters being this stupid and uninformed. How's that working out? Meanwhile R's run circles around us with literally zero actual policy positions outside of vague hand wavy nonsense and race baiting because they understand that humans are driven by status anxiety and that perception > reality.

How can people so smart be so incompetent?

Why do you expect anyone except us brokebrained politics nerds to know what is in a bill that has been marked primarily by infighting and consistently getting smaller?

also:

The Democratic strategy of talking about the SHEER SIZE of these bills is embarrassing because you convince voters that it is a giant, incredible, amount of government spending and then they look at BIP and see that it's... roads? It's good spending, but it's just fixing broken infrastructure and nobody gives a poo poo and talking it up while the only broadly noticable change for trillions of dollars between two bills will be child care and pre-K is... not likely to work. It doesn't help that the child care components could even backfire, if Bruenig is correct.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 23, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Meatball posted:

I have my doubts theres going to be a next Democratic president. The next time Republicans get the trifecta (probably 2024, considering all the supression), they'll pass laws that basically mean you need the house to win the presidency; they will simply never certify a democrat as the winner of a presidental election ever again; they'll cite allegations of fraud and certify the Republican, gently caress the popular vote and EC vote.

If they win house majorities in the midterms, they're seating the republican in 2024 by fiat. Like what they tried to do in 2020, but will have enough votes to pull it off. If the dems sue, a 6-3 Supreme court will side with the Republicans and that's that.

I get this feeling too. The United States is going to look very similar to Mexico when the PRI ruled uncontested and somehow won every election.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

The Judge is chambered in .410, a shotgun shell suitable for rats, chipmunks, and small birds. It is considerably less effective against humans than pretty much any modern handgun cartridge including just loading it with .45LC (which it can also fire). There ARE rules-loophole shotguns in larger calibers, but they cannot exist in a standard pistol form factor and are like over 2 feet long.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Meatball posted:

I feel the same way. The Democrats are acting with the urgency of people who don't grasp the danger to the country because they're out of touch, and/or just don't give a gently caress because they'll be insulated from most of the pain. It looked for a few months like they had learned their lesson after the Obama years, but the summer and fall have brought a reversion to the 2009 mean: Democrats wringing their hands while Rome burns.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

SpartanIvy posted:

Yes the republicans are generally more skilled at the politics aspect, but rising gas, housing & food prices as well as supply chain issues are material things that are hard to sweep under the rug

camoseven posted:

What the gently caress are you two going on about? Do you think all the problems with America started under Trump? Here's a non-exhaustive list of problems that are not Trump's fault that the Dems aren't fixing and don't seem to want to fix:

Student debt
Medical debt
The medical system in general
Weed crimes
Climate change

Agreed, but that’s background noise :D nobody is gonna fix any of that stuff and Americans have learned to live w it

I’m talking COVID and the economy/supply chain issues it led to, as well as the problems resulting from the huge QE patch like inflation & housing shortages. Can’t be fixed in our political framework

Somebody had to fall on that sword, and the voters would vote “the other guy” in next time, no matter what.

lil poopendorfer fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 23, 2021

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

VitalSigns posted:

Trump wouldn't be hurt as bad by supply chain issues because he would be on TV and Twitter every day saying he's putting 10 new tariffs on Jyyyyna and he means business and they won't get away with this.

It would be completely stupid and if anything would exacerbate the problem, but that doesn't matter because a lot of people would feel like somebody in charge is doing something and that's comforting. Biden could benefit too if he did almost anything other than tell everyone Christmas is canceled and we have to wait and pray that the free market god sorts everything out.
Curious, WWRRD?

Earlier in the thread or another in D&D someone mentioned that Cheney just wanted to get the U.S. off of foreign oil so we couldn't be squeezed and controlled by foreign interests and that's why we had to turn the middle-east into a game of Risk. Feels like the Saudi's are determined to lend credence to the Neo-Cons argument. We're obviously not going to war with SA, but I can't imagine someone at DOD or over at State or AEI isn't taking copious notes for later.

I feel like despite how quick his base was to adopt it, Trump's isolationism was kind of a fluke. Didn't some soldier basically have a long talk with him and convince him that the real way to get what he wanted (the love and adoration of the masses) was to end American wars and cement his name in history as the president who brought peace to the middle east, or something like that?

I somehow doubt that whoever inherits the mantle of Trumpism is going to stick to Trumps isolationist foreign policy. The Republicans can't go five minutes without invading someone. And war is their favorite "easy win" way to get votes/support next to racism. To top it all off, they're going to be chomping at the bit because who ever bangs out the next quick military win will get bonus points for healing the country's post-Vietnam Afghanistan wounded ego.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 23, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CommieGIR posted:

Things are changing, believe it or not, public perception of nuclear power is actually above 50% approval for the first time since the 80s. So hopefully that'll help.

SMRs also will help a lot because it eliminates the massive overbuilding requirements and makes modularity and assembly line construction easy.

If we want Nuclear to happen we have to change the financial basis of utilities. The "guaranteed profits" thing has resulted in a lackadaisical effort on plant construction. We have to separate the building of reactors to that. It can't be "time & materials", it has to be fixed price, milestones basis.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Can’t say that it’s too surprising that 18 swing voters who voted for Biden in 2020 and are unsure who they are voting for in 2024 aren’t paying much attention to politics in general….

The full report can be found here: https://thirdway.imgix.net/pdfs/override/Qualitative-Research-Findings-%96-Virginia-Post-Election-Research.pdf

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

If we want Nuclear to happen we have to change the financial basis of utilities. The "guaranteed profits" thing has resulted in a lackadaisical effort on plant construction. We have to separate the building of reactors to that. It can't be "time & materials", it has to be fixed price, milestones basis.

Agreed. That's also gonna take political capital to achieve.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

I somehow doubt that whoever inherits the mantle of Trumpism is going to stick to Trumps isolationist foreign policy. The Republicans can't go five minutes without invading someone. And war is their favorite "easy win" way to get votes/support next to racism.

Once votes stop mattering they'll only get in wars that the capitalists tell them to.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

I somehow doubt that whoever inherits the mantle of Trumpism is going to stick to Trumps isolationist foreign policy. The Republicans can't go five minutes without invading someone. And war is their favorite "easy win" way to get votes/support next to racism.

You remember when a general wanted to drop a MOAB on some random cave and Trump was like "yeah sure"? Or when he had a random airfield in Syria bombed? He wasn't an isolationist in any meaningful sense, he just wanted to privatize foreign exploitation and otherwise stick to military maneuvers that made him feel big and tough. Any Republican will probably inherit his form of "isolationism" quite comfortably.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, Trump's 'Isolationism' is entirely about 'Keep the migrants out but continue bombing countries anyways'.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Decon posted:

Voters don't understand our economic policies because they're explicitly designed to not have tangible, immediate, direct benefits for the working class so we gotta... Talk about our economic policies we've been talking about even harder.

Christ.

there was an rnc tweet a week ago or so that just listed poo poo voters want in four bullet points, like:

* lower gas prices
* lower food prices
* good schools
* less crime

and it was super-effective compared to the convoluted messaging dems insist on, like pelosi here:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1461718003796561924

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

TGLT posted:

You remember when a general wanted to drop a MOAB on some random cave and Trump was like "yeah sure"? Or when he had a random airfield in Syria bombed? He wasn't an isolationist in any meaningful sense, he just wanted to privatize foreign exploitation and otherwise stick to military maneuvers that made him feel big and tough. Any Republican will probably inherit his form of "isolationism" quite comfortably.

By "Trump's Isolationism", I didn't mean that he was a pacifist "dove. I meant that we can safely assume that most other Republican candidates wouldn't have negotiated with the Taliban and pulled American troops out of Afghanistan, Syria, and even Germany. Even the Dems thought he was doing too much, and the rest of the GOP was foaming at the mouth. There's a good article I came across a while back that talked about how Trumps own chief staff and generals were doing crazy kabuki theater to get him not to go through with the Syria withdrawal.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

TGLT posted:

He was the first president to not start any new wars or interventions in like 50 years, that counts for something

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Willa Rogers posted:

there was an rnc tweet a week ago or so that just listed poo poo voters want in four bullet points, like:

* lower gas prices
* lower food prices
* good schools
* less crime

and it was super-effective compared to the convoluted messaging dems insist on, like pelosi here:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1461718003796561924

Look, the best way to meet family dinner table topics is head on and directly... With a defensive, unwieldy speech without a concise, easily remembered takeaway.

Our years of losing shoo-in after shoo-in show that.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I mean I follow politics pretty closely and I am not really sure what the democrats want to do. Their messaging is convoluted and usually doesn’t match their actions at all.

Republicans are fascists but we need to reach across the aisle and compromise with them

The US is close to losing its democracy but no urgency to pass laws to protect voting rights

Going to try and help regular people with BBB but biggest piece of it is a tax give away to rich people

Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lil poopendorfer posted:

He was the first president to not start any new wars or interventions in like 50 years, that counts for something

That's not to say he didn't get really close to starting some, but its more because Trump is just a non-committal person rather than any sort of pacifist nature.