Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If your policy does not result in the public being adequately protected, it is a failure :shrug:

I certainly agree with this, I just think it's important to encompass the entirety of the failure so that it is better understood and potentially addressed (lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's also super trivial things the Biden admin could do to make life really difficult for anti-vaxxers. TSA mandate that you can't get on a plane without showing a vax card with your ID at security. Executive order that you can't be on federally-owned property unless you're vaccinated. At the state level they could have gone in much harder on requiring proof of vaccination to dine indoors, or attend public events like concerts, or set foot on state property, etc.

You can crow about how SCOTUS would block some or all of that, but the point is they didn't even try to use the stick once it became obvious that bushels of carrots were still not going to win over anti-vaxxers. Every one in power is just too mortified that anything resembling a second lockdown - even a lockdown exclusively for antivaxxers - would destroy their political career or worse, hurt the economy!!!!, so we're stuck in a limbo where our leaders seem to just be kinda hoping it eventually goes away or the vaccine mutates into a super panacea that makes you immune forever.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Our leadership class is mostly OK with it never going away at this point because it's now clear to them that the virus won't make the stock market or real estate prices go down. In fact, those metrics have been doing exceptionally well for the past 18 months so the virus being around may in fact be a good thing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sydin posted:

Executive order that you can't be on federally-owned property unless you're vaccinated. At the state level they could have gone in much harder on requiring proof of vaccination to dine indoors, or attend public events like concerts, or set foot on state property, etc.
Federal/state properties have guards. How is Pizza Hut gonna deal with the crazies?

I would love more poo poo requiring vax certification. But I don't know how that happens without a large investment in security because those loving unvaxed idiots are super reactionary.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it's funny how it feels that spending hundreds of millions on the "carrots" didn't solve poo poo. I really hoped that the idea of a vaccine lottery would convince some people but most people I know will not give two shits about any lottery hitting a new high

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Well you have an entire signaling apparatus separate from the government, but also protected by it via the first amendment, bent on destroying public safety, among other things. It's a fantastic weak point of American political construction that's currently being exploited.

I would be surprised if any public policy could reign this in without radical political change.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
a free press is cool and good

a free press driven by capitalism, less good

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sb hermit posted:

it's funny how it feels that spending hundreds of millions on the "carrots" didn't solve poo poo. I really hoped that the idea of a vaccine lottery would convince some people but most people I know will not give two shits about any lottery hitting a new high

I'm not too beaten up about money going to average people even if it didn't solve the problem it was trying to. But yes, governments do not enforce public health and safety with positive reinforcement. It doesn't work.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

sb hermit posted:

The vaccine lotto was loving stupid. It might incentivize some compulsive gamblers, but anyone with some sense looks at it and see a gimmick that isn't going to give them any cash. And it puts a life saving vaccine on the same level of trustworthiness as a grocery store survey, or a timeshare raffle. And now that the CDC has finally stopped loving around with their pointless booster gatekeeping that killed thousands, there's not gonna be another round of lotteries or any other incentive for people to get their 3rd shots. Or 4th shots, or 5th shots as we realize that covid is a coronavirus, and our immune response to every coronavirus fades with time.

Pay each person a legitimate amount of money, along with a paid day off to get the vaccine. Joe Biden still owes me $600, that could be attached to the booster shot or completing the first vaccination course. Just loving connect A to B with a straight line, there does not need to a Rube Goldburg machine worth of complexity in trying to get people to do something by hoping they stumble over a vaccine needle while looking for a free car voucher under a bush.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

sb hermit posted:

It not only didn't solve poo poo but it also managed to piss off people who actually took the initiative to get vaccinated. "Oh, so I did the responsible thing and got no reward but idiots who held out got perks for finally getting the jab, that's bullshit" is a very common sentiment I've heard repeated.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

personally for myself i consider increasing my chance of not dying of coronavirus a pretty good reward

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shear Modulus posted:

personally for myself i consider increasing my chance of not dying of coronavirus a pretty good reward

What's all this believing in science? I just want to be let into the Applebee's

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Yeah I don’t know poo poo about science, but I know quality fast casual dining when I see it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

jetz0r posted:

And now that the CDC has finally stopped loving around with their pointless booster gatekeeping that killed thousands, there's not gonna be another round of lotteries or any other incentive for people to get their 3rd shots. Or 4th shots, or 5th shots as we realize that covid is a coronavirus, and our immune response to every coronavirus fades with time.

I can see why epidemiologists wanted to initially restrict the booster to select populations. But I can also see, a mile away, why such an approach was made by dumbasses who haven't read the news or talked to people on the front lines.

When the vaccine floodgates were first completely open to people, the appointments were filled for about... what ... two weeks? A month? And then Orange County soon after had to start closing all the super sites because besides the initial rush, no one else cared at all about the vaccine, even with all the incentives. The only effective solution was to spend valuable one-on-one time to convince people to get it, because they thought they weren't eligible, or were hit by misinformation. And beyond that, many other places saw increased compliance via liberal use of the stick.

I hope that next time this inevitably happens again, we keep it short, simple, and effective.

Also, Orange County's app for vaccine scheduling hasn't been updated for boosters. What a waste of money. I guess maybe it was helpful for the initial shots, though.

Fauci was right. We should have had boosters for all from the get go, especially because we already have the distribution humming along.

I'm gonna get the booster today. Another Moderna on top of the first two. Hopefully I don't get anything worse than lethargy before Thursday.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

jetz0r posted:

The vaccine lotto was loving stupid. It might incentivize some compulsive gamblers, but anyone with some sense looks at it and see a gimmick that isn't going to give them any cash. And it puts a life saving vaccine on the same level of trustworthiness as a grocery store survey, or a timeshare raffle. And now that the CDC has finally stopped loving around with their pointless booster gatekeeping that killed thousands, there's not gonna be another round of lotteries or any other incentive for people to get their 3rd shots. Or 4th shots, or 5th shots as we realize that covid is a coronavirus, and our immune response to every coronavirus fades with time.

Pay each person a legitimate amount of money, along with a paid day off to get the vaccine. Joe Biden still owes me $600, that could be attached to the booster shot or completing the first vaccination course. Just loving connect A to B with a straight line, there does not need to a Rube Goldburg machine worth of complexity in trying to get people to do something by hoping they stumble over a vaccine needle while looking for a free car voucher under a bush.

This sounds very inefficient. Have you considered hiring some quants?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The vaccine lottery could be a good idea if you thought that the main reason people weren't getting the vaccine was because they were dumb and/ or lazy, but it doesn't work too well if the main reason people are holding out on the vaccine is because it's a deep state 5G microchip that tracks you and makes you magentic and changes your DNA

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Shear Modulus posted:

The vaccine lottery could be a good idea if you thought that the main reason people weren't getting the vaccine was because they were dumb and/ or lazy, but it doesn't work too well if the main reason people are holding out on the vaccine is because it's a deep state 5G microchip that tracks you and makes you magentic and changes your DNA

Or you think it is a way to infect the population with AIDS and malaria.

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!
https://twitter.com/recallsfboe/status/1463181403193950210

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
lmao that an alt-right funded campaign gets the endorsement of all the conservative dems despite the alt-right having targeted some of them in the past. What a bunch of loving idiots. I know that London Breed, Scott Weiner, etc. are Republicans in policy but JESUS, they hate you, you idiots.

fermun fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 25, 2021

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I apparently missed out because it was bad enough that they apologized and deleted it:
https://twitter.com/recallsfboe/status/1463986827983929347

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Been hearing chuds freak out that some school district in Long Beach is going to build co ed locker rooms. From the way it was actually described, there would be individual stalls for students to actually change. I guess this was an effort to be inclusive to trans and nonbinary students. I'm guessing this is a tempest in a teapot meant to get parents riled up?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Panfilo posted:

Been hearing chuds freak out that some school district in Long Beach is going to build co ed locker rooms. From the way it was actually described, there would be individual stalls for students to actually change. I guess this was an effort to be inclusive to trans and nonbinary students. I'm guessing this is a tempest in a teapot meant to get parents riled up?

Basically every single story on this is from Brietbart-level sources and literally nobody cares at all about the facts.

They're just transphobes.

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

DarklyDreaming posted:

I apparently missed out because it was bad enough that they apologized and deleted it:
https://twitter.com/recallsfboe/status/1463986827983929347

drat. I'm sure it's saved somewhere but I haven't bothered to look.

https://www.sfgate.com/bay-area-politics/article/SF-school-board-recall-campaign-ad-cringe-Preston-16649915.php

quote:

A strange, nearly 3-minute long campaign advertisement in support of the San Francisco school board recall is getting pilloried on Twitter.

The ad was posted on Twitter on Tuesday by Recall SF School Board, the organization leading the charge against President Gabriela Lopez, embattled former Vice President Alison Collins and current Vice President Faauuga Moliga.

It features campaign leads Autumn Looijen and Siva Raj, with a man identified as “Gaybraham Lincoln.”

Nice fundraising pivot:
https://twitter.com/recallsfboe/status/1463986832853504000

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
LA Metro has rolled out it's six options for rail along the Sepulveda Corridor (ie the hugely busy connection between west LA and the san fernando valley currently, currently a packed 10 lane stretch of the 405)

https://thesource.metro.net/2021/11...x-alternatives/

Public comment has begun.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Alternative 6 looks badass.

Though I appreciate the idea of a connector to the Getty Center, I don't think running along the 405 is a perfect idea just because of how loving far out it is. Plus just general questions about maintenance and breakdown s for those.

I much rather like the idea of Westwood being connected to Van Nuys Blvd via rail. Bridges the valley and the Westside nicely.

I guess I question how resilient the proposals would be to the firestorms that happen along those corridors...

San Diego is finishing up an elevated monorail thing that links downtown and UCSD. Anyone know how that's going?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Yeah I don't know that anything that's not heavy rail makes sense for this connection, I'm on board with 6 as well.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I like options 5 and 6

Really excited to see the corner of the valley I grew up in finally getting connected to the subway system

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The more I think about it, the less enthused I am for some kind of weird loopback from the 405/Sepulveda into the Van Nuys corridor.

6 makes hooks into the existing Amtrak connector and uses it as a maintenance spot.

I think it's also good to keep it separate from the 405. Just because that's there doesn't mean we're beholden to it.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
First case of omicron covid detected in US, just announced by SF Department of Public Health.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/omicron-variant-found-california-rcna6909?cid=ed_npd_bn_tw_bn

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

San Diego is finishing up an elevated monorail thing that links downtown and UCSD. Anyone know how that's going?

It isn't a monorail - they extended the existing light rail system up the I-5 corrdor.

It's kind of a mixed bag. It connects UCSD, a couple hospitals, and a mall with downtown and the rest of the trolley network, but all of the intermediate stations are just parking lots along the freeway with little to no pedestrian or bicycle access.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

LA Metro has rolled out it's six options for rail along the Sepulveda Corridor (ie the hugely busy connection between west LA and the san fernando valley currently, currently a packed 10 lane stretch of the 405)

https://thesource.metro.net/2021/11...x-alternatives/

Public comment has begun.

I saw a good video about the plans for this line a while back. It left me thinking that the monorail options were the worst but also kinda the most likely...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJdbCgVkH3w

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

fermun posted:

First case of omicron covid detected in US, just announced by SF Department of Public Health.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/omicron-variant-found-california-rcna6909?cid=ed_npd_bn_tw_bn

Of course it's in California, lol.

I'd ask "who the gently caress is traveling to South Africa during the pandemic" but my boss actually did this a couple months ago to go on safari, so apparently that answers that. :downs:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It was only first identified in Africa; it likely first mutated elsewhere and flew under the radar for a while. Still, to play it safe, we should secede from the US.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CPColin posted:

Still, to play it safe, we should secede from the US.

:hmmyes:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The person in the article is someone who flew back from South Africa though

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Fair enough. I don't want to let myself fall into the trap of blaming the place that first identified a strain for somehow having caused it, so I pushed that outward without having caught that point in the article. (I bet they're only testing people who specifically came back from South Africa for the omicron variant and plenty of people have come back from, say, Belgium with it and haven't been noticed.)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

CPColin posted:

Fair enough. I don't want to let myself fall into the trap of blaming the place that first identified a strain for somehow having caused it, so I pushed that outward without having caught that point in the article. (I bet they're only testing people who specifically came back from South Africa for the omicron variant and plenty of people have come back from, say, Belgium with it and haven't been noticed.)

My understanding is that SA for whatever reason has extremely good infectious disease research, so that they tend to be very early on identifying new strains.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

CPColin posted:

could you tell us more about this "secession" thing though?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

CPColin posted:

They are specifically doing sequence testing on everyone that has travelled to South Africa and all their close contacts right now, I believe, but the US sequence tests 5.5% of all covid-positive test results. That ranks 33rd internationally as a percentage of positive test results that get sequenced, with the UK being 1st overall at 14%. The US has a massive amount of variability though with Vermont doing 21.6%, Oklahoma doing under 0.9%, and California about the average at 5.7%.

South Africa is only sequencing 0.8% of covid positive tests (37th internationally), yet have had 2 variants of concern first identified there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Jaxyon posted:

My understanding is that SA for whatever reason has extremely good infectious disease research, so that they tend to be very early on identifying new strains.

It's because they got shellacked by AIDS when it first reached pandemic levels, so they spent most of the 90's and early 2000's overhauling every aspect of their healthcare system