Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Freaquency posted:

Yeah that seems a little histrionic. There was surely a better option to fit what the Giants needed there, but Saquon isn’t even close to being a bust.

I don't think he's saying their draft that year started with the worst pick, just that it had it

Which is still debatable, obviously, but Kyle Lauletta

getting drafted,
getting arrested on the way to practice for reckless driving,
getting a 0 passer rating in his only ever game,
and appearing on and bouncing off of 3 other teams (currently on a fourth's practice squad!) over two more years

is probably at least up there for Giants QB draft picks all-time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Professor Funk posted:

Also a weird comment given Maccagnan drafted Hackenberg in the 2nd round. Though I would argue that’s the most *embarrassing* pick of all time, though not the worst given it wasn’t a high 1st rounder.

I think he was the first major prospect where PFF said "not an actual NFL prospect, we're not submitting a grade on this guy"?

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg

And per QBASE he was literally the worst prospect drafted in the top 100, ever: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2021/introducing-qbase-v20

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

There is objectively no worse draft pick given the other options available, the team, and the trade, than mitchell d trubisky

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
From a strictly value standpoint the worst draft pick is Seabass followed by Roberto Aguayo

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Isentropy posted:

I think he was the first major prospect where PFF said "not an actual NFL prospect, we're not submitting a grade on this guy"?

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg

And per QBASE he was literally the worst prospect drafted in the top 100, ever: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2021/introducing-qbase-v20

Yeah, which is why it's an absolutely embarrassing draft pick. I don't think it's a *worse*, i.e. more impactful, pick than high first rounders like Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, even Manziel (though that's closer I suppose since he was drafted 1-22), given the value of the pick used on him.

The best counterargument to this is that the Jets decided to take Jamal Adams at 6 the following year (and not Deshaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes) because they wanted to try to develop Hackenberg. God there are so many painful memories.

DariusLikewise posted:

From a strictly value standpoint the worst draft pick is Seabass followed by Roberto Aguayo

I'm glad you left Mike Nugent off this list.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 23, 2021

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Diva Cupcake posted:

All the receivers were settling for 1 year deals and below market value contracts and Gettleman bursts through the door like the Kool-Aid Man and hands Golladay $40m guaranteed.

Also, lol
https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/1463146585538322436

Man Sean Payton is a loving wizard

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Cavauro posted:

my friend is going to rank the qbs

make sure he gets it right this time or there will be hell to pay

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

R.D. Mangles posted:

There is objectively no worse draft pick given the other options available, the team, and the trade, than mitchell d trubisky

I want to say it has to be a #1, but the trade makes this arguable in my mind.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

DeimosRising posted:

I want to say it has to be a #1, but the trade makes this arguable in my mind.

The thing keeping it from being the worst draft move is how badly the niners bungled the haul they got from Chicago

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

We would talk about the rg3 trade Washington made with the Rams being the worst draft move if any of the players the Rams got with Washington's picks were worth a poo poo

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's too early to say Saquon Barkley isn't a bust. A smart GM probably doesn't sign him to an extension and if you don't sign your #2 overall pick to an extension, that's a huge loving bust of a pick, injuries or not.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Barkley would have to play like he did at his rookie year peak consistently over four years to be considered anything more than a reach.

Giants fans can correct me if I'm off base here, but the few times I've seen him actually on the field outside his rookie year he hasn't looked like much more than simply a solid starter.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He's a bust OP!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's too early to say Saquon Barkley isn't a bust. A smart GM probably doesn't sign him to an extension and if you don't sign your #2 overall pick to an extension, that's a huge loving bust of a pick, injuries or not.

Yeah but he's arguably not even the worst running back drafted #2 this millenium depending on how you feel about Saints-era Reggie Bush. He might be a bust, he's indisputably a bad use of the #2 pick, but it's not even on the radar of worst picks ever, I think.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I would support the Jets signing Saquon to a 1 year/$6 million deal next year TBQH

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

I would support the Jets signing Saquon to a 1 year/$6 million deal next year TBQH

I want Ronald Jones.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Raku posted:

Hes real good OP

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
He isn't the worst draft pick of all time but let us never forget the Dolphins traded up to take Dion Jordan.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Was gonna say that that whole draft was pretty talent poor in the first, but oh, Lane Johnson went with the next pick.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think Barkley is highly overrated and the pick was really dumb but it's not in the top 50 worst picks of all time. Any first round bust is worse. At least they got some level of production from Barkely for a few years.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Have there been "biggest draft busts in the history of the NFL" threads in TFF before?

You'd have to consider what was traded for the pick as well.

It would be better if it didn't include picks who got hurt right away but were just terrible or cancerous in their own right.

I'm always partial to Ryan Leaf. I figure JaMarcus Russell would be in there somewhere in the conversation.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

I really like this guy (except for the owner son thing)

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Both the players the Raiders selected with the Dion Jordan picks were meh but it was the Raiders so I dont know if its fair to judge that way.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

TheBizzness posted:

He isn't the worst draft pick of all time but let us never forget the Dolphins traded up to take Dion Jordan.

Wasn’t he actually pretty solid as a rookie and showed flashes, until the team asked him to bulk up to play some different role that cost him a lot of the speed and agility that had been his game up to that point? I remember Dolphin fans talking about him doing well covering guys like Gronk and not being bad at first, but then he had all his issues after that first season trying to be a different type of player.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I think Barkley is highly overrated and the pick was really dumb but it's not in the top 50 worst picks of all time. Any first round bust is worse. At least they got some level of production from Barkely for a few years.

A lot of the bust perception came from the opportunity cost. Gettleman could have drafted Sam Darnold instead!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

mcmagic posted:

Yeah this is my thing. I think it’s pretty obvious that it wasn’t a good pick, but this is the same draft that had Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen go in the top 10 so it isn’t even the worst pick of this class. He’s not even the worst RB pick of the first round! We like to think about the unspoiled potential of these top 10 picks but for every Josh Allen you’re going to get a couple of duds because the whole drat thing is a crapshoot. At the very least Barkley didn’t flame out.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Raku posted:

at getting owned in the playoffs by the vikings lmao

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The late touchdown to Mike Williams I could swear is like the fifth touchdown that looked exactly like that, the same splitting the corner and safety along the sidelines with a laser, the same kind of over-the-shoulder right on-the-money catch, and they were all to Mike Williams.

It's a great play call because most qbs can't make that throw that well

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dubious posted:

at getting owned in the playoffs by the vikings lmao

Hrm, I can think of one time that didn’t happen.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

fartknocker posted:

Wasn’t he actually pretty solid as a rookie and showed flashes, until the team asked him to bulk up to play some different role that cost him a lot of the speed and agility that had been his game up to that point? I remember Dolphin fans talking about him doing well covering guys like Gronk and not being bad at first, but then he had all his issues after that first season trying to be a different type of player.

That sounds accurate, yeah. Not sure when the drug problems took over exactly.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chucktesla posted:

The thing keeping it from being the worst draft move is how badly the niners bungled the haul they got from Chicago

While that was certainly disappointing and embarrassing for the Niners I don’t see how it factors for the Bears

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Freaquency posted:

At the very least Barkley didn’t flame out.
What’s you definition of flaming out here? There was a flame early on and for a host of reasons he hasn’t had a 100 yard game since 2019.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Barkley needed to produce at Derrick Henry levels to come close to being merely a reach. He's a bust, but only by virtue of a team being so loving dumb as to pick a back in the modern nfl with a #2 pick.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

What’s you definition of flaming out here? There was a flame early on and for a host of reasons he hasn’t had a 100 yard game since 2019.

He hasn’t been Trent Richardson bad which I think is a pretty good yardstick. His first two years were 1000-yard seasons, then he was injured last year and part of this year, and then until today saddled with Jason Garrett as his OC. He could still fall off a cliff if he isn’t the same post-injury or if his brain is broken playing for the Giants or whatever, in which case it’s obviously fine to re-evaluate him, but right now I don’t see anything in the (admittedly few) times I’ve watched him play this year that would indicate he has serious problems.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Trent Richardson

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Ryan Leaf had a bad rookie year and a bad attitude, and after he got hurt, he let both of those things compound until they blew his life. He was a huge bust. But the pre-draft evidence that that might happen was that, like, he gained a lot weight before the combine and came across as arrogant in interviews. If you’re ranking these things purely as GM mistakes, I don’t know that you can put Leaf up there with some of the “what the gently caress were you thinking” moments like drafting Brandon Weeden 22nd overall at age 28.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I dunno 28 doesn't seem that egregious for the cradle eggshell soft position that is qb. Ignoring a guy being an atrocious interview/attitude and doing a jamarcus russell in the 2 months between end of season and combine is a bigger red flag imo.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

rjmccall posted:

Ryan Leaf had a bad rookie year and a bad attitude, and after he got hurt, he let both of those things compound until they blew his life. He was a huge bust. But the pre-draft evidence that that might happen was that, like, he gained a lot weight before the combine and came across as arrogant in interviews. If you’re ranking these things purely as GM mistakes, I don’t know that you can put Leaf up there with some of the “what the gently caress were you thinking” moments like drafting Brandon Weeden 22nd overall at age 28.

I usually take "bad attitude" stuff with a grain of salt but his pre-draft stuff was way more than just him being arrogant. He straight up worked to make sure the Colts didn't draft him. The weight gain stuff was bad because part of why he was considered maybe superior to Manning was that he was way more athletic. The Ryan Leaf we saw in the NFL could never have been mistaken for an athletic QB. But he was considered that promising that he was still a high pick.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Freaquency posted:

Yeah that seems a little histrionic. There was surely a better option to fit what the Giants needed there, but Saquon isn’t even close to being a bust.

his rookie contract is just about up and he’s yet to gain 4000 all purpose yards, his cap hit starts going up starting next season and he’s only been an especially good RB part of his rookie year. that seems fairly bustish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

indigi posted:

his rookie contract is just about up and he’s yet to gain 4000 all purpose yards, his cap hit starts going up starting next season and he’s only been an especially good RB part of his rookie year. that seems fairly bustish

That’s fair I guess. I think I just differentiate between guys like this who it seems like don’t take off because they’re drafted into a dogshit organization and guys like Manziel, who would have busted even if he’d been picked up by a team like the Pats. The latter is a definitive bust, the former more of an “if only” sort of scenario. I know I’m not alone in this thinking because there are a few Josh Rosen stans still out there, somehow, but it’s probably not the metric most people are using.

It’s still ridiculous to say he’s the worst draft pick of all time though.