Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

500 good dogs posted:

where do they put the captured carbon

in my pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

makes sense, I heard it doesn't capture much at all

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
precisely

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Tabletops posted:

it’s not nearly on the scale that the rest of the world will face

Football would be a lot more interesting if the teams were allowed to pick up and move the goalposts.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Stages of climate grief:

1. Democrats make the earth feel better via carbon credits and capture
2. China is the at the top of this graph of emissions by country!
3. America is climate-resilient and anyway I’m going to move to the Upper Peninsula and farm
4. Earth may not support complex life again for millions of years, possibly ever
5. Hahaha jetski cowboys

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the only carbon capture i believe in is getting in my car to buy cinnabons from taco bell

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

lol dude central america has already been getting hosed by drought for years. north america had crops get hammered this year, like the canadian pulse harvest had a >40% drop after the heat domes. but if you wanna celebrate being turbofucked instead of gigafucked uh okay go ahead

this is going to be terrible for poor countries that have to import food, especially those which do so directly from Canada — like Turkey, whose currency lost more than 30% of its value in the last month, and which imports a good deal of lentils from there. even without direct sales I presume richer countries are still better able to ride out any price fluctuations, in turn driving in prices, and… :(

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Steely Dad posted:

Stages of climate grief:

3. America is climate-resilient and anyway I’m going to move to the Upper Peninsula and farm
4. Earth may not support complex life again for millions of years, possibly ever
5. Hahaha jetski cowboys

There you go, Business Pro

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Chamale posted:

I've read every book Crichton wrote himself, State of Fear is a good thriller but it has a multi-page speech complete with graphs about how climate change is an illusion caused by measurement error. The climate conspiracy murders people by carrying around a blue-ringed octopus in a little baggie of seawater.

... victims of these dastards with "the blue rings, the blue rings" being the last words on their lips, in a desperate stab at grabbing both the mystery novel enthusiasts and right wing conspiracy nuts. Also repeatedly hammering how the libs have to keep everybody in ... a state of fear in order to keep everybody subservient. Seemed especially ironic in the aftermath of 911. Such an amateurish piece of poo poo, he couldn't have written that himself.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

It's almost certainly too late to save ourselves but the least we can do is use our remaining time to create giant carbon capture plants so that future intelligent species have an energy source that's as easy to exploit as coal was for us.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I am in love with the carbon capture technology where we just bury cars

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mawarannahr posted:

this is going to be terrible for poor countries that have to import food, especially those which do so directly from Canada — like Turkey, whose currency lost more than 30% of its value in the last month, and which imports a good deal of lentils from there. even without direct sales I presume richer countries are still better able to ride out any price fluctuations, in turn driving in prices, and… :(

I mean yeah, everything is always worse for poor countries. However, it's a mistake to assume that rich countries are somehow insulated from global turmoil. "Things will be terrible for everyone else" is pretty much a nonsensical statement that doesn't even need to be examined further, because general collapse elsewhere in the world will absolutely destabilize and turbofuck rich countries.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Steely Dad posted:

Stages of climate grief:

5. Hahaha jetski cowboys

Odonate
Sep 28, 2021

by Pragmatica

Tabletops posted:

i get this is the black pilled climate thread, but extreme rain events are not what is going to kill you from gcc. in fact, if you live in the americas there is a good chance you'll live to old age (or not die from gcc fallout) or whatever 5g per day of plastic consumption age that is.

generally it's cool to be like, wow poo poo's gonna suck so much 30 years from now, but I mean realistically you'll be fine. it's gonna suck a lot for developing countries in africa, central asia, the mid east and the developed countries that border them.

basically really really poor people are going to die, not you

Holy poo poo like 200k “middle class” people died in Europe when the thermometers reached 80 F, shut the gently caress up

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

mawarannahr posted:

Bad News 'Bout Canadian Lentils Crops, Fam.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Steely Dad posted:

Stages of climate grief:

5. Hahaha jetski cowboys

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
whats the difference between a lentil and a chickpea

chickpeas arent having massive crop failures in multiple countries

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Steely Dad posted:

Stages of climate grief:

5. Hahaha jetski cowboys

6. Why is that guy wearing bondage gear and a necklace made of doll heads?
7. I LIVE, I DIE, I LIVE AGAIN!

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://youtu.be/03OcZuf3zWo

ELTON JOHN posted:

i've never paid to have a lentil on me

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's hilarious how many people in the US don't realize how wildly unstable their "middle class" positions really are. Like it's not even a theoretical thing. There are endless stories of people losing literally everything to disasters and never getting it back because their insurance companies hosed them or they just fell through the cracks.

You have to be absolutely, insanely, disgustingly rich to not be one step away from ruin in this country.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://youtu.be/_62Jq4E8iRY

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Tabletops posted:

i get this is the black pilled climate thread, but extreme rain events are not what is going to kill you from gcc. in fact, if you live in the americas there is a good chance you'll live to old age (or not die from gcc fallout) or whatever 5g per day of plastic consumption age that is.

generally it's cool to be like, wow poo poo's gonna suck so much 30 years from now, but I mean realistically you'll be fine. it's gonna suck a lot for developing countries in africa, central asia, the mid east and the developed countries that border them.

https://twitter.com/AatiSheerazi/status/1417203015849758722/

"It Won't Affect Me" Says Increasingly Nervous Westerner For Seventh Time This Year

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ELTON JOHN posted:

chickpeas arent having massive crop failures in multiple countries

I hate to ruin the joke, but Canada's chickpea crop failed this year, with a 67% reduction compared to normal yields

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Chamale posted:

I hate to ruin the joke, but Canada's chickpea crop failed this year, with a 67% reduction compared to normal yields

There’s always more!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Whybird posted:

I don't know why the two bus guys thing pleases me so much, but it does.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Chamale posted:

lol climate change isn't happening, i have a bag of chickpeas right here! a full pound! everything is FINE

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if we all just ate carbon we'd solve 2 problems

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Tabletops posted:

Lol just the drop in birth rates caused in part by young people opting out of having kids due to anxieties over climate change have western economists freaking out. When there are a poo poo load of climant migrants seeking refuge, the fascists that rich nations elect in response will win on slogans of "Borders closed, we're full" so I'm not sure how they'll make up for the lack of workers...More prison labor, maybe?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
They'll just outright reintroduce slavery

Not even dress it up in a fancy euphemism

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Porque no la dos?

Probably slavery dressed up as debtor's prison. And work requirements for the unemployed. Oh, and war.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

if we all just ate carbon we'd solve 2 problems

Going to fight climate change by dying from obesity and burying all the carbon I sequestered in my fat.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

slavery for criminals is still legit.

so they'll just pass some onerous carbon tax, then bust everyone for carbon tax evasion.

burn wood to stay warm in a forest a startup already claimed is being used for sequestration? that's carbon jail for you.

fail to correctly account for the carbon emissions of the supply chain that delivered you your dried beans? that's carbon jail for you.

forget to include section G6.12, carbon emissions due to historic land use change (the house you grew up was built on a former farm in the 1920s)? you better believe that's carbon jail for you.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Up until 2 or 3? years ago all public schools and colleges in Colorado had to purchase all of their furniture from the prison labor workshops, it was written into state law explicitly to support the prison labor industry. If you bought something on Amazon or at Staples they would make you return it and you got reprimanded.

Nice of the dems to finally get rid of that law after having control for 10 years, great work chaps.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 18:56 on Nov 24, 2021

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Pryor on Fire posted:

Up until 2 or 3? years ago all public schools and colleges in Colorado had to purchase all of their furniture from the prison labor workshops, it was written into state law explicitly to support the prison labor industry. If you bought something on Amazon or at Staples they would make you return it and you got reprimanded.

Nice of the dems to finally get rid of that law after having control for 10 years, great work chaps.

drat those prisoners must have a great union if they can secure those contracts

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Paradoxish posted:

It's hilarious how many people in the US don't realize how wildly unstable their "middle class" positions really are. Like it's not even a theoretical thing. There are endless stories of people losing literally everything to disasters and never getting it back because their insurance companies hosed them or they just fell through the cracks.

You have to be absolutely, insanely, disgustingly rich to not be one step away from ruin in this country.

I think deep down a lot of them know but we're so lovely we just shrug our shoulders and say sucks to be you, won't happen to me. Our entire culture engenders a learned sociopathy, it's gross as hell

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That and/or forced procreation.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Trying to imagine being able to watch:

17,000 people rendered homeless due to unprecedented flash-flooding which will happen again and again and become more severe

$7.5+ Billion in infrastructure damage and climbing.

Total disruption of regional agriculture,

800+ dead due to temperatures usually seen at the equator a few months prior.

Add it to the tens of thousands of lives destroyed every year for the past decade by wildfire on the west coast, at an ever increasing rate,

Considering the imminent end of the Colorado River as a water source.

The failure of pulse crops across the prairies, due to a record drought with no end in sight.

And yet still be able to conclude: "Nah, everything will be OK, those lives in the tropics will die before my life is ever impacted. "

:hmmyes:

Gods, I'd lead such a productive and fulfilling life if my brain had this kind of wiring inside it. It must feel amazing.

Rime has issued a correction as of 20:04 on Nov 24, 2021

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Look man, I still have to go to work every day so what the gently caress do I care?

Call me when climate change cancels the economy

I'll have you know that number has never been more up.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think deep down a lot of them know but we're so lovely we just shrug our shoulders and say sucks to be you, won't happen to me. Our entire culture engenders a learned sociopathy, it's gross as hell

There are things that pull you under and
There are things that drag you down
But there's a power and a vital presence
That's lurking all around

(Apologies for quoting Bad Religion from 89 or so)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rime posted:

Trying to imagine being able to watch:

17,000 people rendered homeless due to unprecedented flash-flooding which will happen again and again and become more severe

$7.5+ Billion in infrastructure damage and climbing.

Total disruption of regional agriculture,

800+ dead due to temperatures usually seen at the equator a few months prior.

Add it to the tens of thousands of lives destroyed every year for the past decade by wildfire on the west coast, at an ever increasing rate,

Considering the imminent end of the Colorado River as a water source.

The failure of pulse crops across the prairies, due to a record drought with no end in sight.

And yet still be able to conclude: "Nah, everything will be OK, those lives in the tropics will die before my life is ever impacted. "

:hmmyes:

Gods, I'd lead such a productive and fulfilling life if my brain had this kind of wiring inside it. It must feel amazing.

Well you wouldn't really but you'd get paid for toeing that line.