Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One of my mates at school came to England from Bangladesh when he was like 11, but his parents, being climbers, paid for an English tutor to give him a crash course in English and in fairness the bloke did a good job as he really did speak like a native - unfortunately though like a native of Middlesbrough because that's where the tutor was from, which marked him out *way* more than speaking with a Bangladeshi accent ever would have.

I was talking with a falluca captain in Luxor one time. He told me in heavily accented Egyptian' English that he had a cousin who lived in "Scortlaaand" (this being the nearest I can get to a strong Scots accent in print! Something like Tony Osoba in Porridge.). I thought to myself he must be telling the truth because he could only be saying with a Scottish accent is if he has heard it said that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Payndz posted:

Wasn't it revealed that people close to him don't even call him Boris?
If I was close to him, I would first of all try to move farther away from him, and then I’d call him “pigfucker”. Hopefully he’d correct me by saying “no that was David Cameron” so I’d have him on record confirming it, and if not I’d just keep calling him “pigfucker” anyway.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One of my mates at school came to England from Bangladesh when he was like 11, but his parents, being climbers, paid for an English tutor to give him a crash course in English and in fairness the bloke did a good job as he really did speak like a native - unfortunately though like a native of Middlesbrough because that's where the tutor was from, which marked him out *way* more than speaking with a Bangladeshi accent ever would have.

This happened to a friend of mine too, except he ended up essentially speaking RP in south-west Scotland, thus gaining himself the nickname Oxford, which eventually became Cocksford.

Teenagers are both cruel and hilarious.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah it definitely seemed like Nate's knowledge of SA was limited to GBS and pretty much entirely pre 2008
Also I'm pretty sure he got doxx and :toxx: mixed up. It was an interesting ep, but there were plenty of bits where I felt like it wasn't the vibe I remembered.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lungboy posted:

https://twitter.com/electpoliticsuk/status/1463262332667236364?s=21

Source is the Sun and no MPs are named though so arum arum aaaaaaaag

Ftfy

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Have you seen this insane story in Somerset? A couple were stabbed to death in their bed by their neighbours while their children were sleeping, apparently because of a dispute about parking? It's utterly loving deranged. Like I guess their neighbours felt they'd stolen their parking spot so broke into their house and murdered them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They havent said exactly what the motive was but it does appear to be that case based on what people are saying. Each house had 2 allocated parking spots so I wonder if the previous owners had only got 1 car so next door just assumed they had all 3?

Who knows. loving mental.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There was that guy who was stabbed to death on a night bus because he asked someone to stop throwing chips at him.

It seems like some people are just looking for a reason to go apeshit.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Also I'm pretty sure he got doxx and :toxx: mixed up. It was an interesting ep, but there were plenty of bits where I felt like it wasn't the vibe I remembered.

Yeah that really stood out for me too, since I very much remember Toxx clauses and also have recently looked up where ‘doc’ comes from since my wife asked. Another thing I think he didn’t really get into was the tension between different parts of SA’s user base- yeah it was a lot to awkward nerds, and yeah there was some ‘epic bacon’ and fedoras and ‘I can has cheeseburger’ but there was probably a greater set of users who would just mercilessly rip the piss out of those guys. I remember old SA as being hugely anti-meme.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Have you seen this insane story in Somerset? A couple were stabbed to death in their bed by their neighbours while their children were sleeping, apparently because of a dispute about parking? It's utterly loving deranged. Like I guess their neighbours felt they'd stolen their parking spot so broke into their house and murdered them.

An englishman's home is his castle.

Even if it's rented of a noble landlord.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So is an Englishman's parking space like his barbican or more like a stable yard?

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

After living in the suburbs, I can totally see this.

Hell even last weekend, I was 100 miles from home at a family gathering and my phone starts buzzing.

Someone had rung my doorbell (I have one of those RING doorbells that allow me to speak to people when I'm not in). It was a guy in his last 50's complaining about a car parked in front of his driveway. He starts ranting at me demanding that I move my car. I politely inform him that I'm 100 miles away and the reason my car is not on my driveway is because my car is with me. (I always park on my driveway anyway!)

That was apparently not good enough and he kept ranting at me and it must be me because my Driveway is clear.

I gave up and told him to ring the police and get it towed.

Guess I'm going to get stabbed at some point. RIP me.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

One of the few pleasures of this government is hearing Raab being repeatedly sent out, clearly against his will as he loving loathes him, to slavishly defend Boris Johnson’s laughable behaviour. 5 mins on the Today programme of Raab painstakingly explaining how important Peppa Pig is to the governments vision.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

smellmycheese posted:

One of the few pleasures of this government is hearing Raab being repeatedly sent out, clearly against his will as he loving loathes him, to slavishly defend Boris Johnson’s laughable behaviour. 5 mins on the Today programme of Raab painstakingly explaining how important Peppa Pig is to the governments vision.
I was about to say that Raab is Johnson's Baghdad Bob, but then realised the Trump parallels mean he's his Sean Spicer: go out and tell the press what the boss has told you to, however wrong, ludicrous or at odds with reality. Next stage, he'll be hiding from reporters in a bush before going into an online tirade about how much he hates some obscure brand of ice cream. :bahgawd:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Suburbs are where diseased people go to get more diseased.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Its a bog standard taylor wimpey development with as many houses crammed in with as little parking provided as possible. Although 'Dragon Rise' is a cool name.

On their side of the cul de sac it appears there are 11 homes "sharing" 17 spaces, so some have more than one maybe as there's nothing obviously denoting visitor spaces. Also theres a turn around spot directly next to where pictures show policemen looking in drains, so the spaces don't align nicely with front doors.

A few of the spaces are labelled but not all.

Probably not the first time lovely housing development in this country has lead to deaths.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Probably not.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
how many people went to prison for grenfell, i forgot

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Payndz posted:

Wasn't it revealed that people close to him don't even call him Boris?

Yes, "Boris" as the public sees him appears to be a confection, his friends and family call him Alex(ander).

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Sky News have got an aerial photo of the parking situation, & the police tape being up suggests it's probably an accurate slice-of-life:

I don't condone murder outside of very limited circumstances, and if I did condone murder here it'd probably be the developers not the residents, but

yeesh

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
When my brother bought his house eight years ago on a new build, the rule was a minimum 1.5 parking spaces per house, so of course that's exactly what they built. Apparently that's the average number of cars a family has nationally - which of course discounts those people who live in cities and use public transport, if you live in an area with no decent links then you are out of luck.

Our rented neighbors are not talking to us as we complained to the letting agent because they kept parking across our drive preventing us access, we tried to talk to them, but they were never in or answered the door/notes, so we had to escalate. They are also trying to fit two cars and a van on the front of a two bed semi, and have two other partners for the adult children, and another child with kids who visit regularly - meaning there can by up to six cars trying to park on an already busy street at once.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Borrovan posted:

Sky News have got an aerial photo of the parking situation, & the police tape being up suggests it's probably an accurate slice-of-life:

I don't condone murder outside of very limited circumstances, and if I did condone murder here it'd probably be the developers not the residents, but

yeesh

So there are 6 places for 7 cars which isn't ideal, but the bigger issue is that 5 of those cars aren't actually parked in a parking place. That is actually some loving terrible parking across the board.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

We have 19 flats and just 9 parking spaces for our block. None are allocated to individual flats and there is nothing in the lease to give anyone the idea that there should be.

I'm chair of the residents' management committee (we are also the freeholders so it's an uncommon set up - but I digress) anyway I have to complete LPE1s for people trying to sell their flats.

Having had one set of estate agents demanding to know 'what the committee are going to do about it' - the lack of parking - (answer: nothing, I don't drive, I don't have a car, I don't give a crap, rarely have visitors with cars for more than an hour a month and there's a supermarket carpark adjacent which is free for 1.5 hours) so the LPE1 I'm currently filling in for one of the flats I've put a covering letter to note the situation and that we aren't proposing to do ANYTHING about it at all - there's absolutely no more space for one thing!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Borrovan posted:

yeesh

That's the kind of low grade evil worthy of Crowley from Good Omens, subtle but everpresent.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Grey Hunter posted:

When my brother bought his house eight years ago on a new build, the rule was a minimum 1.5 parking spaces per house, so of course that's exactly what they built. Apparently that's the average number of cars a family has nationally - which of course discounts those people who live in cities and use public transport, if you live in an area with no decent links then you are out of luck.

Our rented neighbors are not talking to us as we complained to the letting agent because they kept parking across our drive preventing us access, we tried to talk to them, but they were never in or answered the door/notes, so we had to escalate. They are also trying to fit two cars and a van on the front of a two bed semi, and have two other partners for the adult children, and another child with kids who visit regularly - meaning there can by up to six cars trying to park on an already busy street at once.
I tend to take the view that parking is not a human right, ime (& round here at least) the council are pretty good at making sure that disabled people can have a disabled spot, & a bit of walking isn't going to hurt anyone else. I say this as someone who lives in a two-car household in a notorious poo poo-parking area (as in, local press does a story on the parking on my road at least once a year). The problem here is that the council keep approving more homes to be converted into HMOs, which is a bigger problem in terms of "there are no family homes for local families" than "if I come home at the wrong time of day I might have to cruise around for 10 minutes and walk a quarter mile".

People just get utterly entitled when it comes to parking spots, regardless of actual "right". In fact, there's probably an interesting lesson there in terms of the psychological concept of "ownership": the fact that "I'm using it it's mine" is such a strong psychological instinct is regarded as the strongest justification for the law of adverse possession, how people actually think about what "property" means is radically different from what the law says. Essentially, the human brain just outright rejects "private property" in favour of "personal property" in pretty much any real-world application, & it's remarkable that the exact opposite is true in political discourse.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

kingturnip posted:

There was that guy who was stabbed to death on a night bus because he asked someone to stop throwing chips at him.

It seems like some people are just looking for a reason to go apeshit.

I do think that living in this country, especially now, makes people deranged. Maybe I'm just getting older but I'm noticing more and more that people on the motorway are driving like they have a death wish.

Speaking of being deranged, I have a question for y'all:

Last night at around quarter past eight, while we were watching Making A Murderer (interesting but depressing) and I was getting pretty high on a banging indica, a dude came to our door and introduced himself to my partner. He said he'd moved into the flat upstairs for work - not permanently, but he said that the owners were letting him stay there with a few bits of furniture, and that he'd be back and forth over the coming amount of time (can't remember how long). He was pretty animated, mostly exchanging pleasantries at fairly high speed, but dropped in that he wanted to know the code to the gate to the estate (would he not have been told by his friends the owners??) - which my partner readily gave him - and then asked if he could pay us to piggyback off our wifi for the time he's here, otherwise he'd have to get internet to the flat. He said he'd give us time to think about it.

Something about this/his vibes made me feel a bit suspicious, although frankly I may have just been slightly paranoid from the weed lol. I'm pretty highly not inclined to give some stranger my wifi password, frankly. I deal with reasonably sensitive info for work and also, like, you just don't give strangers your wifi password, right? We also locked the door last night which we don't usually do, I feel like I freaked out my partner a bit by being a bit leery of this dude, although again weed lol.

What I might look into is if our wifi has a guest wifi feature - would that protect our data, or can someone sufficiently motivated get through that? I don't really know much at all about networks and how they work, it's a blindspot.

Am I crazy for being suspicious?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Guy who did it is a 34yr old ex commando by all accounts so could well be an element of military broken brain involved.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
lovely councils, lovely developers, lovely policing, lovely government, shittier veteran mental health facilities.

Confluence of them all leads to two poor kids orphaned over 6 square meters of tarmac.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Barry Foster posted:

I do think that living in this country, especially now, makes people deranged. Maybe I'm just getting older but I'm noticing more and more that people on the motorway are driving like they have a death wish.

Last night at around quarter past eight, while we were watching Making A Murderer (interesting but depressing) and I was getting pretty high on a banging indica, a dude came to our door and introduced himself to my partner. He said he'd moved into the flat upstairs for work - not permanently, but he said that the owners were letting him stay there with a few bits of furniture, and that he'd be back and forth over the coming amount of time (can't remember how long). He was pretty animated, mostly exchanging pleasantries at fairly high speed, but dropped in that he wanted to know the code to the gate to the estate (would he not have been told by his friends the owners??) - which my partner readily gave him - and then asked if he could pay us to piggyback off our wifi for the time he's here, otherwise he'd have to get internet to the flat. He said he'd give us time to think about it.

Something about this/his vibes made me feel a bit suspicious, although frankly I may have just been slightly paranoid from the weed lol. I'm pretty highly not inclined to give some stranger my wifi password, frankly. I deal with reasonably sensitive info for work and also, like, you just don't give strangers your wifi password, right? We also locked the door last night which we don't usually do, I feel like I freaked out my partner a bit by being a bit leery of this dude, although again weed lol.

What I might look into is if our wifi has a guest wifi feature - would that protect our data, or can someone sufficiently motivated get through that? I don't really know much at all about networks and how they work, it's a blindspot.

Absolutely not crazy for being suspicious, I wouldn't be giving a wifi password to anyone. If they need net and aren't there long enough to do an install then they can hotspot their mobile in seconds.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

You can get an ee 4G mobile router for a tenner. 'Sorry my work are hot on that kind of thing' is easy enough and stops any further questions.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Barry Foster posted:

No, I would a) not give strangers my wifi password and b) always lock my door if I were you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Borrovan posted:

All things considered, you could probably have made a better choice of words here.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lungboy posted:

Absolutely not crazy for being suspicious, I wouldn't be giving a wifi password to anyone. If they need net and aren't there long enough to do an install then they can hotspot their mobile in seconds.

Total Meatlove posted:

You can get an ee 4G mobile router for a tenner. 'Sorry my work are hot on that kind of thing' is easy enough and stops any further questions.

sebzilla posted:

No, I would a) not give strangers my wifi password and b) always lock my door if I were you.

As I thought. Thanks comrades!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'd also get that gate code changed and tell my partner not to give it out to random people.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
and they paved paradiise to put up a paaaaaarkiiiiin loooot

sshoooooooooooooooooo bupbup

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

What Meatlove said and also, he could get one of those Homehub broadbands or mifi broadbands on an unlimited package for under £25pm and take it with him when he moves (so long as he goes into an area with decent reception).

I have both so if one is down the other normally works. Very rare for both not to work - the homehub has had about 4 days of not working in almost 2 years now. And there's BTWiFi backup in case of direst need (which I can use my mum's sign in for now but she's moving to somewhere where broadband is already provided so boohoo that will stop when she gets round to cancelling her BB)!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Borrovan posted:

People just get utterly entitled when it comes to parking spots, regardless of actual "right". In fact, there's probably an interesting lesson there in terms of the psychological concept of "ownership": the fact that "I'm using it it's mine" is such a strong psychological instinct is regarded as the strongest justification for the law of adverse possession, how people actually think about what "property" means is radically different from what the law says. Essentially, the human brain just outright rejects "private property" in favour of "personal property" in pretty much any real-world application, & it's remarkable that the exact opposite is true in political discourse.
I live in a cul-de-sac where theres no lines on the road, theres no designated parking and theres loads of space available all the time because we're just far enough away from anything important that no one is going to park there and walk off.

And yet I still have people putting messages on my windscreen asking me to move on the rare occasions where the space outside my house is taken. I honestly couldn't give a poo poo, any changes to where I park adds seconds to my life, but people get incensed enough to do that. Back in the summer I had some increasingly deranged messages under the windscreen wipers and some anonymously posted letters through my door when I started using the space outside my house again, because the sender was using that space for two weeks when I didn't have a car and they decided that this was their space and how dare I use it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lungboy posted:

I'd also get that gate code changed and tell my partner not to give it out to random people.

Not really up to us, unfortunately, it's a pretty massive complex. The fact that he was in our particular building does suggest that he has a key, which lends credence to his story

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What Meatlove said and also, he could get one of those Homehub broadbands or mifi broadbands on an unlimited package for under £25pm and take it with him when he moves (so long as he goes into an area with decent reception).

I have both so if one is down the other normally works. Very rare for both not to work - the homehub has had about 4 days of not working in almost 2 years now. And there's BTWiFi backup in case of direst need (which I can use my mum's sign in for now but she's moving to somewhere where broadband is already provided so boohoo that will stop when she gets round to cancelling her BB)!

Thanks! If he comes back I'll tell him about that

EDIT I think I just struggle with this because I fundamentally don't want to be some paranoid nimby weirdo like 95% of the british public, I tend to take people at their word almost as a kind of ethical committment (at least when I'm not blasted on indica)

but I recognise that maybe that just makes me a massive rube

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 24, 2021

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The idea of the space outside your house being yours is just completely alien;

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=4825d9f8-69f8-44b2-92d5-3a271ef33f96&cp=50.790054~-1.067452&lvl=18&style=h&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

Like parking four streets down is normal, a walk won't kill you. A taxi stop to unload a car isn't the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gorn Myson posted:

I live in a cul-de-sac where theres no lines on the road, theres no designated parking and theres loads of space available all the time because we're just far enough away from anything important that no one is going to park there and walk off.

And yet I still have people putting messages on my windscreen asking me to move on the rare occasions where the space outside my house is taken. I honestly couldn't give a poo poo, any changes to where I park adds seconds to my life, but people get incensed enough to do that. Back in the summer I had some increasingly deranged messages under the windscreen wipers and some anonymously posted letters through my door when I started using the space outside my house again, because the sender was using that space for two weeks when I didn't have a car and they decided that this was their space and how dare I use it.

It's important to remember that driving & car ownership drives people loving insane. Just encourages the worst most selfish behaviour in people.

Ban the car.