Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Google Butt posted:

I don't know either source materials, but as a tv show, WoT is way less infuriating from a writing, directing, editing and acting point of view

Depends, first half of Foundation was very different in quality from the second half

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I just finished the first (and only episode I’m watching, gently caress that sucked) of Wheel of Time, and if you liked that Foundation took liberties with the source material, whoo boy, do I have a show for you to watch.

I’m glad you said this because I thought WOT was terrible and the WOT thread loves it so I wasn’t sure if I was crazy or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

WOT is much closer to the base material, for one. It doesn’t even compare to Foundation.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I honestly thought Foundation was bad from episode 2

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
If you think WoT took more liberties than the source material than even the early episodes of Foundation, much less the late episodes of Foundation, you probably downloaded that FXX pilot from 2015 by mistake. Watch the Prime show.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Just caught up on the last couple episodes. The Cleon stuff is entertaining, but this show sure is trashy.

The final scene with Robot Lady reminded me of the Family Guy scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pioBHf11N78&t=43s

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I feel like the nanites would've healed other cleon's slit throat

To be honest, at first, I wasn't sure which Dawn he killed.

Paradoxish posted:

The best part is that all of this followed several beats where she had every opportunity to just drug him or otherwise incapacitate him, but instead she let him wander around her house waiting for the dramatic reveal.

He did come earlier than she expected, so she might have needed a minute or two.

SpaceAceJase posted:

I guess the Cleons weren't wearing their shield bracelets during their slap fight?

I did wonder about this. Maybe the Cleon's bracelets cancel each other out?

Bip Roberts posted:

Show was fine, probably not going to watch anymore, the whole season gave me a Westworld season 3 vibe.

Never did watch the third season, I assume it was bad.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 23, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Small White Dragon posted:

I tried to watch it and gave up halfway through

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Perhaps next season will be set entirely within the flower girl's mind -- she's imagining what might happen next (it's not like she has any other pressing items on her schedule at the moment), and hopefully she'll prove to be a better writer than the ones we've gotten so far. :buddy:

I don’t understand why she just sat there after his entire spiel about how her life is going to be a living nightmare for the remainder of her years. Foundation didn’t have humans living extremely long lives or anything but say she had another 50-70 years left, I’d actively try to attack empire or kill myself right then and there.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

To be honest, at first, I wasn't sure which Dawn he killed.

That’s a good point. Maybe he slit left-handed Dawn’s throat and the imposter tried to pass. Robo nanny figured it out and snapped his neck to protect the dynasty from the imposter taking over.

My head tells me that is too clever for this show but I want to believe.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Killer robot posted:

If you think WoT took more liberties than the source material than even the early episodes of Foundation, much less the late episodes of Foundation, you probably downloaded that FXX pilot from 2015 by mistake. Watch the Prime show.

Oh, I watched the Prime show, it sucked.

Speaking of the FXX pilot vs. the Prime version: why the gently caress would you cut out the prologue from the first book, it literally sets the tone for the series.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I don’t understand why she just sat there after his entire spiel about how her life is going to be a living nightmare for the remainder of her years. Foundation didn’t have humans living extremely long lives or anything but say she had another 50-70 years left, I’d actively try to attack empire or kill myself right then and there.

I literally thought that when he left her alone, like quick, go slam your head on a rock or try to drown yourself.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Yeah I wanted to see her shot by a tranquilizer sniper too :(

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
We really need a new thread title :lol:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Third season of Westworld is great! It’s just not the same show as the first two seasons! It’s basically a whole new show but you’ve already seen all of the characters backstory!

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Foundation: ‘yer a Mule, Hari!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
WoT is a pretty funny situation. Everyone tells me it's good. I think it's probably good. I might even love it. But life is too short for me to get invested in a series 14 books long, that by all accounts, drags on needlessly until the end. And the fact that it's polished off by Sanderson puts me off completely. His whole cosmere poo poo is getting more and more annoying, I'm hopping off that train, too.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

WoT is a pretty funny situation. Everyone tells me it's good. I think it's probably good. I might even love it. But life is too short for me to get invested in a series 14 books long, that by all accounts, drags on needlessly until the end. And the fact that it's polished off by Sanderson puts me off completely. His whole cosmere poo poo is getting more and more annoying, I'm hopping off that train, too.

I thought Sanderson did a pretty decent job wrapping it up. But I hear you, I got 1/2 way through his latest like 2 months ago and just...stopped.

I got roped into Foundation because the first few episodes showed some promise and sometimes a show just need a few episodes to find their footing. WoT turned me off in the first 15 minutes, I'm not watching past the first episode.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Foundation… Not!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's almost like when you get rid of the characters, setting and main thematic elements from the source material it's tough for a show to have a good foundation.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

No, Psychohistory is useless in the show and the current title is a testament to that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Space dad tyrant reality TV show

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Foundation: No respect for the peace itt

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
maybe they can rebrand this as a futuristic sequel to game of thrones and then let someone make an actual Foundation tv series

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

No, Psychohistory is useless in the show and the current title is a testament to that.

True

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
I was on board with the Cleon arc, and then they just completely hosed the dog with that idiotic twist ending. Everybody's been contaminated from the beginning and nobody has a genetic backup? And this series of contrivances is what brings down the invulnerable genetic dynasty?

It's trash, and it retroactively killed the entire cleon arc. The rest of the show was already irredeemable before they made it clear that nobody even understands what psychohistory is or is supposed to be able to do. I don't think anybody involved with this production actually read the books, or have read very many books at all for that matter. You can't make an adaption when nobody involved is capable of comprehending the source material.

Show bad. It's a shame too, cuz the visual aesthetic can be really compelling - there's just nothing under the hood.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Foundation : Book spoilers don't matter

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Wasn’t the imposter Dawn a perfect genetic copy of the original Cleon? Here’s you pile of magic goo right there for backups.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, they should compare against him and stick his corpse in the preservation case.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

iv46vi posted:

Wasn’t the imposter Dawn a perfect genetic copy of the original Cleon? Here’s you pile of magic goo right there for backups.

They should check Flower Girl for pure Cleon DNA

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you think they ever gently caress with the people in the sensory prison? Like apply old people make up to them and be all "You've been in prison for 50 years!" And then show them a mirror and the person freaks out about all the years they've lost. And then they are all "JK lol, it's been like two weeks" and then put the shroud back on.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ElGroucho posted:

I mean you know why they call him the drag on

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Do you think they ever gently caress with the people in the sensory prison? Like apply old people make up to them and be all "You've been in prison for 50 years!" And then show them a mirror and the person freaks out about all the years they've lost. And then they are all "JK lol, it's been like two weeks" and then put the shroud back on.

I'm pretty sure that's mandatory

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hari emerges from the vault, and gestures towards the gathered Goons from the Foundation thread.

"Congratulations on surviving the first crisis. I'm happy to say, we foresaw great things for this show and we were proven right!"

Confused Goons look at each other.

"In fact, we received numerous awards for a coherent plot, believable characters and truly innovative world building" - he continues.

"Something's wrong. He's talking about another future!" - cries a Goon - "We're hosed hosed!". The rooms erupts into chaos.

"I'm happy to tell you we will now embark on a continuation of out adventures - films, an MMO and a new series of Foundation books..."

Room erupts into chaos, people jump out the windows, etc.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mokotow posted:

Hari emerges from the vault, and gestures towards the gathered Goons from the Foundation thread.

"Congratulations on surviving the first crisis. I'm happy to say, we foresaw great things for this show and we were proven right!"

"In fact, we received numerous awards for a coherent plot, believable characters and truly innovative world building" - he continues.

"Something's wrong. He's talking about another future!" - cries a Goon - "We're hosed hosed!". The rooms erupts into chaos.

"I'm happy to tell you we will now embark on a continuation of out adventures - films, an MMO and a new series of Foundation books..."

Room erupts into chaos, people jump out the windows, etc.

Quick, get Tim Cook in here! We need another keynote to soothe our troubled hearts!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm reimagining that post into a modern take on it's story

"Wow poo poo seems hosed"

"What? Do you not have any input on this situation? Didn't you predict everything with math?" - they ask.

AI Hari shrugs "I thought it was going to be good."

Everyone stares at eachother for several minutes before Hari turns around and walks back into the vault

Give me $50,000,000

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hari smiles beatifically. "Look inside yourself, the answers were within you all along" *vanishes*

Crini
Sep 2, 2011
Did the show ever explain why the Empire never rebuilt the star bridge after Space 9/11?

I know they took a Brother Dusk up to see the ruins before they destroyed it and dusted him, but I kept wondering why they couldn’t just build a new one and repair the scar.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Crini posted:

Did the show ever explain why the Empire never rebuilt the star bridge after Space 9/11?

I know they took a Brother Dusk up to see the ruins before they destroyed it and dusted him, but I kept wondering why they couldn’t just build a new one and repair the scar.

They didn't know how.

syense
Oct 13, 2018

people who play large jenga at bars have nothing of interest in their lives.

Nitrousoxide posted:

They didn't know how.

Was that every explicitly stated? Id have liked some more concrete examples of the empire having decayed already and forgetting how things work. Would probably have helped me accept the Cleon stuff at the end.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Crini posted:

Here's another question: Why don't they have more than one?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Crini posted:

Brother Day proposed a 6 Trillion galactic credits Build Bridge Better plan, but due to "negotiations" in the galactic council the funds were redirected to tax cuts for Trantor elite and an increase in the military budget.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

ElGroucho posted:

Here's another question: Why don't they have more than one?

Here's another another question: Why would a civilization that has mastered controlling gravity even have a space elevator in the first place? Even Waterworld and Terminus had ships just landing and taking off from the planet like it's no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Here's another another question: Why would a civilization that has mastered controlling gravity even have a space elevator in the first place? Even Waterworld and Terminus had ships just landing and taking off from the planet like it's no big deal.

They were showing off, the space bridge was pointless opulence just like the rest of Trantor