Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you can't see your car from your house, then 79 foreigners might be looking at it.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Barry Foster posted:

Not really up to us, unfortunately, it's a pretty massive complex. The fact that he was in our particular building does suggest that he has a key, which lends credence to his story

Thanks! If he comes back I'll tell him about that

EDIT I think I just struggle with this because I fundamentally don't want to be some paranoid nimby weirdo like 95% of the british public, I tend to take people at their word almost as a kind of ethical committment (at least when I'm not blasted on indica)

but I recognise that maybe that just makes me a massive rube

Actually I was just thinking - if there's a decent BTWiFi signal round your way (and you can check that for yourself), he can buy 30 days for £39. Or a monthly subscription for £15 pm.

https://www.btwifi.co.uk/

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Pavement parkers are the worst imo. I live in a fairly busy local road with a single pavement along one side, but for some reason, these completely selfish cunts love parking on the pavement, even if it's 'just for 5 minutes'. So I normally stick one of these on the windscreen. They require a few minutes scraping with water to completely remove.

Sometimes they get more than one.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

forkboy84 posted:

It's important to remember that driving & car ownership drives people loving insane. Just encourages the worst most selfish behaviour in people.

Ban the car.

Personally I think it's just you're living too densely with too many people in one area. Humans where not made for it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We can't all live in a torp, at least not since the enclosures.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Humans weren't made.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The space outside your own home becomes more important if you're trying to charge your car through an extension lead out the letterbox

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm sure people will give you plenty of space when they see the badge.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They wouldn't want their own cars caught in the blaze, you see.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

His Divine Shadow posted:

Personally I think it's just you're living too densely with too many people in one area. Humans where not made for it.

Wish I was living densely :( God I miss that. Or more accurately the conveniences that come with that.

The problem, as always, is capitalism. People make poo poo housing estates in the suburbs that have no connection to any other infrastructure except roads. You are lucky if these Hell-'burbs have a park for kids to mess about it, never mind a store or school or god forbid a railway station to civilisation. So you get 1 bus an hour but also taking the bus has a stigma attached to it because we're loving morons, it's a type of transport you tits, don't listen to Thatcher.

Cars ultimately instil individualism. You're in your little bubble on your tod. Feel like King of your world. It's bad bro.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There's a housing development near me (in the centre of Bournemouth) that used to be three or four Edwardian semis (with small drives, enough for at least one car each) which were flattened and turned into a solid wall of something like 30 flats. Number of parking spaces for the entire development? Four. And this is in part of town where all the streets are double-yellows. The minimum price for a flat in Bournemouth is now about £100k, so it's not as if they could even justify it with "these are low-income flats, so obviously the buyers won't have cars."

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

Trump is a charisma vaccum

I actually really disagree with this. Trump is extremely charismatic, and not much else. It's a very weird charisma that gels with his irreverent (though ofc totally superficial) anti-establishment image, but you don't draw crowds like that and win a the presidency as an initial joke candidate outsider without something about you.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Just remove all road markings and declare demo derby rules. It'll be really bad for a while, but the buses will probably win in the end.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Presented unironically

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Humans weren't made.

I made one

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

E: ^^^^^ I believe the term is 'artisanally crafted'.

I once went to view a room somewhere, found a wide street running down the side of some houses (not even in front of them) that seemed suitable, with pavements and room for road parking on both sides, without too many cars on, and I barely made it five steps from my car before some dickhead came running out to ask how long I was going to be.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

ThomasPaine posted:

I actually really disagree with this. Trump is extremely charismatic, and not much else. It's a very weird charisma that gels with his irreverent (though ofc totally superficial) anti-establishment image, but you don't draw crowds like that and win a the presidency as an initial joke candidate outsider without something about you.
Yeah, he's undeniably got charisma, but in the most negative, malevolent way that appeals solely to awful people. It's not like Steve Jobs' Reality Distortion Field where he could talk even people opposed to him into doing what he wanted; Trump isn't going to change anybody's mind, but the people who are already on board his train just get ever more enthusiastic about crashing through the buffers.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

forkboy84 posted:

Wish I was living densely :( God I miss that. Or more accurately the conveniences that come with that.

I honestly don't. The less I am exposed to these socalled conveniences the happer I am.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Antigravitas posted:

Presented unironically

Hold on what's wrong with buying groceries for two weeks? Surely that's better than driving down there every other day to pick up one loaf of bread and three bananas?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'd say in the past it was more common to buy groceries for longer times at a go rather than doing everyday shopping, it'd often be basics like flour, salt and the like that kept. And you'd make more from scratch instead of buying readt made goods. It was also easier to get your goods and groceries from your local village then, now they're all out of business in favor of big centralized stores so you need a car to get there.

Most people in the past could never do everyday shopping. And everyday shopping IMO does to peoples brains something similar to what cars do, it normalizes mass consumption culture, it's an addictive behaviour.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 24, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

It's not like Steve Jobs' Reality Distortion Field where he could talk even people opposed to him into doing what he wanted;

A shame it worked on his oncologist and not the tumour!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Hold on what's wrong with buying groceries for two weeks? Surely that's better than driving down there every other day to pick up one loaf of bread and three bananas?

If the place where you live wasn't built by absolute cretins you have a supermarket in walk or bike distance and can get fresh food every few days without moving several tons of metal around.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Antigravitas posted:

Presented unironically

I absolutely love this meme format, and now I've just discovered a whole subreddit of em at reddit.com/r/theyhaveplayedus . Satisfying

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

E: ^^^^^ I believe the term is 'artisanally crafted'.

Nahh, you can't get pregnant having sex artisanally. That requires vaginal intercourse.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

all humans should live densely imo, as densely as possible, in a giant horrifying hive city. or rendered entirely into a fatty homogenate if possible

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Antigravitas posted:

If the place where you live wasn't built by absolute cretins you have a supermarket in walk or bike distance and can get fresh food every few days without moving several tons of metal around.

Loads of rural places are miles from shops and no public transport.

A place we lived near here in the 60s where there was a bus every couple of hours including one after 5pm (gosh! was there ever such a time!) now has absolutely NO public transport whatsoever and is about 5 miles from town, the road is extremely hilly so only fit people would be realistically able to cycle the 10 mile round trip, let alone with bags of shopping.

Where my mum is living (for now) is 4 miles from the nearest village shop and that is closing down this coming Friday.

And not everyone is physically able to cycle. (Eg yours truly - my balance goes and I fall off, and that was in my 30s, 40s, and before I had problems with my leg muscles.)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

kecske posted:

all humans should live densely imo, as densely as possible, in a giant horrifying hive city. or rendered entirely into a fatty homogenate if possible

I have seen the future, and it is Billy Bear.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Loads of rural places are miles from shops and no public transport.

I know, because they were built by absolute cretins.

Before the car those places didn't starve. It is only since car-centric design destroyed both rural and urban landscapes that car ownership became mandatory.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Antigravitas posted:

Before the car those places didn't starve.
British ingenuity managed to starve rural Ireland using only a network of steam trains and horse carts.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Car parking chat reminded me of this which came up on Reddit yesterday:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/comments/r0epu9/is_there_anything_i_can_do_about_my_neighbours/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

Person with a disabled parking spot being deliberately blocked in by neighbours.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Borrovan posted:

Sky News have got an aerial photo of the parking situation, & the police tape being up suggests it's probably an accurate slice-of-life:

I don't condone murder outside of very limited circumstances, and if I did condone murder here it'd probably be the developers not the residents, but

yeesh

That red car parked across 2 bays and the blue car parked where it is suggests what was happening. Those spaces arent allocated but the red car owners are clearly 'claiming' 2 spots and I would have to guess that the nutcase absolutely lost it over not being able to park immediately outside his front door. Its 100% some neighbors from hell stuff that's escalated to the insane level.

I've seen videos of people going mental and smashing cars up for parking infront of their house on a public road 'Thats MY spot!' etc but its always in the heat of the moment, nothing like this thats premeditated.

Payndz posted:

There's a housing development near me (in the centre of Bournemouth) that used to be three or four Edwardian semis (with small drives, enough for at least one car each) which were flattened and turned into a solid wall of something like 30 flats. Number of parking spaces for the entire development? Four. And this is in part of town where all the streets are double-yellows. The minimum price for a flat in Bournemouth is now about £100k, so it's not as if they could even justify it with "these are low-income flats, so obviously the buyers won't have cars."

You must live near me because I know exactly the development. What they're doing in Westbourne too is causing even more aggro. 30 2 bed flats and only 15 car parking spaces.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Car parking chat reminded me of this which came up on Reddit yesterday:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/comments/r0epu9/is_there_anything_i_can_do_about_my_neighbours/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

Person with a disabled parking spot being deliberately blocked in by neighbours.

lol, apparently LegalAdviceUK has a moderation bot that can remove your post entirely if it thinks you're posting too non-legally. Incredible website.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Antigravitas posted:

I know, because they were built by absolute cretins.

Before the car those places didn't starve. It is only since car-centric design destroyed both rural and urban landscapes that car ownership became mandatory.

When they were built, hundreds of years ago in some cases, there were local shops or farms where you could go buy stuff (we used to go buy eggs from a local farm and wrap each egg individually in a triangle of newspaper), public transport in the form of horse and cart etc. Not really 'cretins'.

I would agree with you for modern developments which haven't taken into account the absolute hacking away at local facilities whether because they become financially unviable or just fuckin failure to provide the relevant infrastructure.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

It's important to remember that driving & car ownership drives people loving insane. Just encourages the worst most selfish behaviour in people.

Ban the car.

My theory is that it's some kind of primal reaction to territory rather than being about cars. Cars just come up a lot since they move around so they have the opportunity to move into someone's space. It explains why we're willing to murder ourselves over "fishing rights" despite it being relatively worthless.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When they were built, hundreds of years ago in some cases, there were local shops or farms where you could go buy stuff (we used to go buy eggs from a local farm and wrap each egg individually in a triangle of newspaper), public transport in the form of horse and cart etc. Not really 'cretins'.

I would agree with you for modern developments which haven't taken into account the absolute hacking away at local facilities whether because they become financially unviable or just fuckin failure to provide the relevant infrastructure.
What happens around here is you have a core village or mill town from back then with a butcher, baker, greengrocer, general store, etc, then surround the whole place with roads only new builds where it's easier to go from your driveway to Tesco 2 miles away than it is to go into the village and buy a loaf of bread.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MarinaPurkiss/status/1463424646607511552
https://twitter.com/MarinaPurkiss/status/1463462473026125824

:allears:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

What happens around here is you have a core village or mill town from back then with a butcher, baker, greengrocer, general store, etc, then surround the whole place with roads only new builds where it's easier to go from your driveway to Tesco 2 miles away than it is to go into the village and buy a loaf of bread.

I think this is what was meant by saying that rural areas are built by absolute cretins. The original builders knew perfectly well what they were doing, the modern day planners didn't think for a second that maybe it's actually good to have some local cohesion and also not require everyone in the countryside to have an expensive metal box.