Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the new builds seem to be worse provisioned than the old houses for everything except parking space (and sometimes common green areas, they at least got that right around here), and the shops are slightly too far to conveniently walk with shopping from there, so the choices are to drive into the village and then discover that the 1920s grocers doesn't have much in the way of car parking, or head the other way onto the bypass and by then you might as well go to the nearest retail park, which has nothing except shops and car parking. As opposed to maybe have a little shop in the new build area too, which never happens because ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When they were built, hundreds of years ago in some cases, there were local shops or farms where you could go buy stuff

Exactly. Then with the advent of car-centric infrastructure all these shops were destroyed in favour of far-away centralised shopping. Those shops aren't economical now because of deliberate planning decisions made by absolute tossers.

If people used cars less (and if planners encoured less car-centric design) only the tiniest and most isolated villages wouldn't be able to support a local supermarket and bakery. And statistically speaking, absolutely nobody lives in those tiny villages.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

hahaha

I mean, I know everyone says she's dumb as a post, but dang

she really is dumb as a post

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If you love neighbour disputes you might get a kick out of a LegalEagle YouTube video posted - rather coincidentally - yesterday

I'd embed it here but I'm on my phone and it's slightly harder, though not impossible, to do that, and I'm a lazy bastard.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I live in a tiny village and the local shops reward us for shopping locally by opportunistically marking up the price of everything

we're in this together

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

What happens around here is you have a core village or mill town from back then with a butcher, baker, greengrocer, general store, etc, then surround the whole place with roads only new builds where it's easier to go from your driveway to Tesco 2 miles away than it is to go into the village and buy a loaf of bread.

Near where I grew up in Hampshire, in the early 2000s they converted a former psychiatric hospital (a great place to urbex or just to go for some peace and quiet on a summer weekend, btw) into a 'planned village' - by turning the original buildings into flats and filling the grounds with new-build.

Now, by design this place was built in the middle of nowhere and with minimal road access to anywhere nearby. Its main transport link in the old days was via a private halt on a railway line, and otherwise there was one rural lane (two cars could pass, but it was a squeeze) ran across the site from one corner to the other and ended up on the outskirts of the nearest mid-size village about two miles away.

The plan for the new 'village' originally consisted entirely of housing. No corner shop, no school, no GP surgery, no community centre, no childcare, nothing. Just 50 acres of housing, served by a narrow lane. The residents of the nearby village kicked up a fuss, pointing out that their local services were already at capacity and that the road was not suitable. The developers made a concession in the form of a convenience store and a community hall on the site and to build a dedicated access road across farmland to the main A-road (a mile or so in the other direction) to allow residents to drive to the large town for their needs. The hospital site development would not make any road links with the original access lane, apart from a single emergency access with a coded barrier.

So now there are 11,000 people living in a location purposely sited to be awkward and remote, with hardly any local amenities and forced to drive either four miles into the large town (already a traffic congestion nightmare in and around the town centre) or a similar distance 'up and around' to get to the village they are barred from (and the main square of which also runs out of parking at peak times, and which still has a lack of school spaces and long GP waiting lists).

Just a horrific lack of thought into encouraging (or even permitting) non-car-based transport. I believe that now, 20 years on, there are investigations going on as to the viability of reopening the railway station.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, driving's done on public roads but from inside your own little bubble of private property, which kicks up all sorts of funny territorial quirks in people's heads.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

BalloonFish posted:

Near where I grew up in Hampshire, in the early 2000s they converted a former psychiatric hospital (a great place to urbex or just to go for some peace and quiet on a summer weekend, btw) into a 'planned village' - by turning the original buildings into flats and filling the grounds with new-build.

Horrific lack of thought into encouraging (or even permitting) non-car-based transport. I believe that now, 20 years on, there are investigations going on as to the viability of reopening the railway station.

Knowle?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Speaking of parking

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59399754

quote:

In September, Food and Drink Federation (FDF) boss Ian Wright warned that the UK was in for permanent food shortages.

He said: "The UK shopper and consumer could have previously expected just about any product they want to be on the [supermarket] shelf or in the restaurant all the time.

"That's over. And I don't think it's coming back."

According to the FDF, the food and drink industry is short of about half a million workers - or one in eight of the total workforce - which is leading to supply chain issues.

Several companies including supermarkets, pubs and restaurants have blamed a lack of heavy goods vehicle (HGV) lorry drivers for causing problems in their supply chains, including shortages of some products.

Lorry driver shortages have also been blamed on EU workers leaving the UK following Brexit as well as during the pandemic and tax changes making it more expensive for drivers from elsewhere in Europe to work or be employed in the UK.

Elizabeth de Jong, the director of policy at freight and haulage trade association Logistics UK, highlighted a lack of available lorry parking facilities as a key reason putting people off driving jobs.

She told the Transport Select Committee there had been evidence for years that there were far too few parking spaces, with people having to stay in their cabs at side of the road or on industrial estates, with no hygiene facilities.

Also lol at 'permanent food shortages'. Nice country

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Convex posted:

Speaking of parking

*Boris Johnsonishly* Let them eat sovereignty

arum arum aaaaaaag

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Correct.

Used to cycle up to the place in the period between closure and redevelopment for a mooch about in the summer holidays. There were loads of typical schoolkid rumours, legends and dares about the place...not least because there was a still-active Secure Unit in a corner of the site.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Convex posted:

Speaking of parking

Malthus says that there's no such thing as a "permanent" food shortage.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

All these absolute vultures claiming boris is looking and sounding poo poo but he's the loving picture of health

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

BalloonFish posted:

Correct.

Used to cycle up to the place in the period between closure and redevelopment for a mooch about in the summer holidays. There were loads of typical schoolkid rumours, legends and dares about the place...not least because there was a still-active Secure Unit in a corner of the site.

You'll be glad to know that they're infilling between Whiteley and the trainline all the way up to Botley (the Whiteley Meadows) so there's even more going in now. Thankfully there has to be schools and a surgery in there now though.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Convex posted:

Speaking of parking

When we said “there will be adequate food”, I think it’s clear we didn’t mean every kind of food, for all people, all of the time

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Food rationing has a proud place in British history and in fact I’d argue it’s one of the things that has made us such a great country today

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I see no lie here, adequate =/= plentiful, varied or delicious.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Total Meatlove posted:

You'll be glad to know that they're infilling between Whiteley and the trainline all the way up to Botley (the Whiteley Meadows) so there's even more going in now. Thankfully there has to be schools and a surgery in there now though.

Yeah, I remember reading about that when I was back down there visiting family. Give it a few years and I'll literally be able to turn to my nephew and nieces and say ":corsair: I remember when this was all fields".

I don't have too much of a problem with the principle of 'build houses so people have somewhere to live'. I do have a problem with cheap, developer-friendly sprawl and a sea of mid-density, crowded, cookie-cutter Premium Executive Homes with awful transport links, no amenities, crap infrastructure and nothing to soften their environment impact really narks me.

Up here in Peterborough there are a couple of big planned developments on the outskirts. One is actually really well done with a good mix of housing types and styles, provision of greenspaces (and even a recreational lake with a beach) and a sensible provision of corner shops, pubs, community centres and a couple of 'high streets'. Still far too focussed on personal car transport, although it is hooked into the city's extensive cycleway system and there are continual rumblings about providing a station for it on the main line to London which it sits right next to. But it has enough to give the place a sense of life and purpose beyond merely being somewhere for the worker drones to sleep and store their consumer items. The other big one is exactly that, unfortunately. And that's the one that was built on greenfield; the good one is on former clay field and brick pit land.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Food shortage? No no no. What we have here is an overpopulation crisis. But don't worry folks, we can turn that problem into a solution. Hope everyone likes white meat!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, driving's done on public roads but from inside your own little bubble of private property, which kicks up all sorts of funny territorial quirks in people's heads.

Any cyclist who has spent any time on public roads will firmly assure you that car ownership is a direct causal link to absolute sociopathy. I don't think I know anyone who cycles regularly who doesn't have multiple stories of essentially being attacked with several tonnes of high-speed steel.

Then when confronted about how they're attempting to murder someone else, will immediately go Full Clarkson and bleat about ARE ROAD TAX

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 24, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

Food rationing has a proud place in British history and in fact I’d argue it’s one of the things that has made us such a great country today

"Well it'll build character, won't it!"

- boomers, in unison, smiling smugly at their grandkids

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

It's one of the reasons the boomers are so loving long-lived, so I'd argue it's had the opposite effect.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Any cyclist who has spent any time on public roads will firmly assure you that car ownership is a direct causal link to absolute sociopathy. I don't think I know anyone who cycles regularly who doesn't have multiple stories of essentially being attacked with several tonnes of high-speed steel.

Then when confronted about how they're attempting to murder someone else, will immediately go Full Clarkson and bleat about ARE ROAD TAX

As far as I can tell road rage in general seems to be proportional to how close you are to the Dartford crossing.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Have you guys heard of "tattle"?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/24/people-nasty-as-hell-on-there-battle-close-tattle-most-hate-filled-corner-web

I'm pretty online but I knew nothing about it. I suppose I never really use instagram or whatever. Even so, I thought it was odd it had just completely missed me.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/24/people-nasty-as-hell-on-there-battle-close-tattle-most-hate-filled-corner-web

I'm pretty online but I knew nothing about it. I suppose I never really use instagram or whatever. Even so, I thought it was odd it had just completely missed me.

Thought that was kiwifarms tbh

Dabir posted:

Food shortage? No no no. What we have here is an overpopulation crisis. But don't worry folks, we can turn that problem into a solution. Hope everyone likes white meat!

*Brown meat. Everyone on the boat draws straws. Short straw gets asylum, the rest off to the corpse starch factory.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jippa posted:

Nope.

Seems like a kiwifarms for normies though.

f;e: beaten

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's a fairly recent development (<2 years?) but yeah it's the kiwifarms to mumsnet's 4chan. The pattern is pretty familiar to anyone who ever read a mock thread on here.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
banning cars is a great idea in theory but if you don’t have alternative infrastructure in place first (which nowhere in this country does with the possible exception of London) then you’re just punishing people who rely on them for such luxuries as, uh, getting to work, or buying food, or transporting their families around

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Car parking chat reminded me of this which came up on Reddit yesterday:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/comments/r0epu9/is_there_anything_i_can_do_about_my_neighbours/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

Person with a disabled parking spot being deliberately blocked in by neighbours.

Legal Advice UK is incredible. There was one a couple of days ago where a person's neighbour has delusions that they were having an affair with her husband and (amongst a load of other stuff) had deliberately crashed into this woman's car while she was dropping her kids off at school.

The punchline was that the police had declined to attend and suggested she speak to the local council.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

josh04 posted:

it's the kiwifarms to mumsnet's 4chan.

wot

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Has anyone successfully purchased a house in Scotland this year without the aid of rich parents, or going 30% over the home report value, asking for a friend (me).

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

Has anyone successfully purchased a house in Scotland this year without the aid of rich parents, or going 30% over the home report value, asking for a friend (me).

Have you considered moving to any of the wonderful towns along the Glasgow to Stranraer route? (Not Prestwick)

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
the gently caress is even a kiwifarms

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Barry Foster posted:

hahaha

I mean, I know everyone says she's dumb as a post, but dang

she really is dumb as a post

not my posts

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

what, by yourself?

didn't realise we had the virgin bloody mary over here. hail this dude...tte full of grace

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

serious gaylord posted:

You must live near me because I know exactly the development. What they're doing in Westbourne too is causing even more aggro. 30 2 bed flats and only 15 car parking spaces.
I just checked on Street View for the sake of accuracy (it's been a while since I went that way), and it turns out I was conflating two developments on the same street. One isn't as bad as I thought; it has four parking spaces outside, but also some garages (don't know if enough for all the flats). The other, with 20 flats, though... no parking spaces. On a double-yellow street, with the nearest on-road parking pay-and-display. Nice!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jaete posted:

what, by yourself?

didn't realise we had the virgin bloody mary over here. hail this dude...tte full of grace

You clearly haven't seen them movie where the time traveling trans dude* knobs himself.

*Not clear which gender to ascribe here due to the arrow of causality being tricky, so read that "dude" non-binarily , tia

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How far are we realistically away from human parthenogenesis? It seems like the sort of thing that we'd be doing already if it weren't for all the George Bush Evangelical types banning embryo research for culture war reasons.

You'd think they'd be all for additional virgin births, but maybe they thought ahead and realized the babies would probably all be women.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

How far are we realistically away from human parthenogenesis? It seems like the sort of thing that we'd be doing already if it weren't for all the George Bush Evangelical types banning embryo research for culture war reasons.

I think it was Bill Clinton panic banning human cloning after watching seminal sci-fi parable The Sixth Day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

You'd think they'd be all for additional virgin births, but maybe they thought ahead and realized the babies would probably all be women.

We could probably clone someone now if we really tried. There would be quite a few severely messed up babies produced in the attempt and no real benefit, but it could be done.