Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

CaptainSkinny posted:

Hey, you know the weird Folgers Coffee incest commercial that goes mildly viral this time of year? I just found out the sister is Jeffery Combs daughter.

Wow that Wayeun clone went off the rails!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

We should all have the lifesize Gowron standee in our homes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If I can rig it up to shout EXPERIENCE BIJ when I walk past

Really wreak Kavok on my houseguests

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i use a Traveler-brand toilet puck, as i piss on it it disappears ( i call pissing taking a wes )

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

quote:

gq coffee incest things

ah so a 60-year-old showbiz boomer tried to write how teenage siblings would behave

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 24, 2021

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I don't Twitter so I had never seen anything about that Folgers thing. Insane. :psyduck:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I.....want a star trek hockey jersey

Oh thank god I thought I was the only one.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Brawnfire posted:

If I can rig it up to shout EXPERIENCE BIJ when I walk past

Really wreak Kavok on my houseguests

I want to rig mine up for experiencing bij, all right

:gizz:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

Oh thank god I thought I was the only one.

Who knows, maybe they'll do one sometime. They've got a whole range of pseudo-collegiate-team starfleet academy gear now, they invented a whole phoenix motif and mascot for the merch that I don't think came from anything in the shows. (Obviously a ref to Cochrane's Phoenix but I don't remember any Phoenix stuff associated with the academy, I mean)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 24, 2021

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TOS is actually pretty fun. I'm nearing the end. I'm at the season 3 episode with space hippies.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

TOS owns bones.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Drone posted:

TOS owns bones.

Literally, Bones is a character on TOS.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

How do these stills always manage to look so terrible? It has to be some combination of the lighting and shooting in HD, but goddamn.

Also, running shoes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The new Starfleet insignia just reads as Bajoran to me and it's weird

Also those uniforms suck

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Bajor bided their time and took over the Federation, that's why all nu-Trek sucks, it's all secretly Bajor episodes.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hellblazer187 posted:

TOS is actually pretty fun. I'm nearing the end. I'm at the season 3 episode with space hippies.

S03 is good :ssh:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

really skimping on the quality of console rock debris

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Animal-Mother posted:

Bajor bided their time and took over the Federation, that's why all nu-Trek sucks, it's all secretly Bajor episodes.

Bajor episodes are good; I will cause an extremely annoying and tedious fight over this pointless argument

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Also those uniforms suck

It's weird how all the new stuff simultaneously looks really expensive and super cheap at the same time

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Very funny

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

some of you refuse to accept joy into your life

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Picard Season One is ten bucks on DVD at your local Walmart.

After watching the first episode, it still feels I wasted my money.

holy poo poo, Patrick Stewart sounds so loving frail, like a strong wind will shatter his ancient skeleton.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

*Laughs in The Omega Glory*

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

"Michael, what's wrong? You're not crying."

<Does Kyle Rittenhouse convulsion>

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

infernal machines posted:

How do these stills always manage to look so terrible? It has to be some combination of the lighting and shooting in HD, but goddamn.

Also, running shoes.

It really looks like shots of a highschool play, in between blasts of a cheap fog machine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Brawnfire posted:

It really looks like shots of a highschool play, in between blasts of a cheap fog machine

I was just thinking the set looked like a theatre stage. There's so much open space with nothing in it, presumably to give the actors room to, you know, act, except this is Discovery and it's filmed for television and I have no idea why they would design a bridge set like that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

They know they've got too much space, too. They'll arrange people in the background like set pieces.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

Also, running shoes.

To be fair, a lot of production stills look like rear end because they’re not meant to be framed or shot like that. They might also have been taken during rehearsals, so they’re more than likely not lit correctly either.

Still not a massive fan of the set or costumes though.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Drone posted:

Also those uniforms suck

they put a notch in the starfleet delta for all the nutrek to let you know there's something missing

and then they went ahead and put the notch on the entire uniform

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Bajor episodes are good; I will cause an extremely annoying and tedious fight over this pointless argument

Bajor episodes are good, because the Bajorans are awful. Every episode makes you empathize with Sisko more and more as he has to put up with their inane bullshit.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

holy poo poo, Patrick Stewart sounds so loving frail, like a strong wind will shatter his ancient skeleton.

He sounds like someone tossed a bunch of nickels into a carburetor.

Unrelated, just what in the hell is an inverse warp field

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

DebonaireD posted:

That's where you make a bubble around everything in the universe except for your ship, duh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
inane technobabble that contradicts previous inane technobabble is as star trek as picard ever managed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

HD DAD posted:

To be fair, a lot of production stills look like rear end because they’re not meant to be framed or shot like that. They might also have been taken during rehearsals, so they’re more than likely not lit correctly either.

Still not a massive fan of the set or costumes though.

Well, sure, except these are part of the promotional images sent out to io9, like all the previous Discovery still I've posted have been, and are purportedly from actual scenes in the show, not production stills. Either way, it's a curious choice for your press kit. Like, maybe the show doesn't actually look like a knock-off Doctor Who in motion, but they keep using these shots for marketing.

In the old days they'd just shoot slightly out of focus or smear some vaseline on the lens to hide the seams, and that was fine.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 26, 2021

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

this space hippie went Super Herbert 2

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

DebonaireD posted:

dropping anchor

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brawnfire posted:

They know they've got too much space, too. They'll arrange people in the background like set pieces.

That's pretty much what the intent was from what I could tell; Make the set look busy by having an "inner ring" of the main cast's stations and then another "outer ring" of extras poking at consoles to make it look busy at the back (I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "BE LIKE BATTLESTAR GALACTICA" note stapled on a design somewhere). The problem is there's neat aliens in the back doing stuff who look MUCH more interesting than what's in the foreground, plus the space required for the composite foreground->background shots is pretty huge to make it frame well without anyone in the back getting in anyone's way at the front of the shot, so it's making a problem that didn't need to exist.

Drone posted:

Also those uniforms suck

They're still miles better than the original season 3 version because if they stood the wrong way or raised their right arm, or you looked at them from behind, the colour stripe just disappeared onscreen and the uniforms all looked identical. They shouldn't have survived initial screen testing either.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DebonaireD posted:

He sounds like someone tossed a bunch of nickels into a carburetor.

Do you know what a static warp shell is? It's a little bit like that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/539285683911786496/913196777233068082/tumblr_r2ppe8tl8w1qgz7mu_720.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Drone posted:

Also those uniforms suck

I don’t like the rank insignia being in the center and right below the neck. Also some characters have their rank insignias on 3 places: on the middle like I just described and on both shoulders. That’s so dumb.