Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

You wouldn't download a NFT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

how do you ply your trade as a professional shoplifter without a fence?

Judging by that fplus ep I linked, you sell it on ebay-likes because you're an idiot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MRC48B posted:

And then they take it out on their line members, browbeating them for "letting it happen"

then cut their hours or whatever unofficial "punishments"

basically it sucks for the employees because they know they're hosed no matter what happens.

A million years ago I was working at a big servo in a really lovely area and, one night, a couple girls came in went to the back of the store and kicked in the big metal grill in the door to the storeroom/office.

This was during the height of "robbery with syringe full of blood" epidemic so even if I was feeling bootlicky there was no way in hell I was going to go anywhere near them. So I just called the cops and they naturally didn't come for an hour and the girls got away. My manager, her boss and one of the real big bosses asked me why I didn't stop them.

I said it was night-time and company policy says staff are not to leave the console area if anyone is in the store, also it's company policy to not attempt to detain thieves and to never put yourself in potential harm's way. I called the cops which is precisely what the policy said to do and remained safe in the console area. Everything we were told to do.

"But you didn't even try to stop them" Well, no, of course not, the employee handbook forbids it.

"You just stood there and did nothing." I didn't do nothing, I called the police, exactly what the handbook said to do.

"Well, they stole over a thousand dollars of cigarettes*. I don't think we can trust you to continue working here."

* smokes in Australia are insanely expensive. So $1000 is like a couple dozen cartons.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This was during the height of "robbery with syringe full of blood" epidemic

wut

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

You wouldn't download a NFT

You're right, actually

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Having spent a lot of time working retail it was awesome when someone very visibly stole something because it meant I could rubberneck instead of doing whatever else I was doing that I hated, and I couldn't get in trouble because all the bosses were either trying to deal with cops or rubbernecking themselves.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lol he posted mckinsey lmfao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i never got the impression they were armed. just that they swarm a store with dozens of thieves at once so there's no way to apprehend them

that owns

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Two things desperate drug addicts have access to - syringes and blood.

So, strict gun laws + AIDS panic = inventive criminals threatening people with a syringe full of blood like it was a loaded gun.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Don't like your anus? Clean it. Refuse cleaning? Cool. Book 'em! Too horny? Jack 'em!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Two things desperate drug addicts have access to - syringes and blood.

So, strict gun laws + AIDS panic = inventive criminals threatening people with a syringe full of blood like it was a loaded gun.

Can I have "Australian version of "knockout games" for 40 buttcoins, Alex?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

how do you ply your trade as a professional shoplifter without a fence?

boosters sell poo poo to their neighbors, friends and friends-of-friends

everybody needs clothes, or poo poo from the hardware store

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A million years ago I was working at a big servo in a really lovely area and, one night, a couple girls came in went to the back of the store and kicked in the big metal grill in the door to the storeroom/office.

This was during the height of "robbery with syringe full of blood" epidemic so even if I was feeling bootlicky there was no way in hell I was going to go anywhere near them. So I just called the cops and they naturally didn't come for an hour and the girls got away. My manager, her boss and one of the real big bosses asked me why I didn't stop them.

I said it was night-time and company policy says staff are not to leave the console area if anyone is in the store, also it's company policy to not attempt to detain thieves and to never put yourself in potential harm's way. I called the cops which is precisely what the policy said to do and remained safe in the console area. Everything we were told to do.

"But you didn't even try to stop them" Well, no, of course not, the employee handbook forbids it.

"You just stood there and did nothing." I didn't do nothing, I called the police, exactly what the handbook said to do.

"Well, they stole over a thousand dollars of cigarettes*. I don't think we can trust you to continue working here."

* smokes in Australia are insanely expensive. So $1000 is like a couple dozen cartons.

that doesnt sound legal (your getting fired)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Carthag Tuek posted:

American labor laws are a joke. "at will employment" means any pretext is legal as long as they aren't stupid enough to openly document the actual reason when its "fired for being black/pregnant/reporting harassment/gay/following policy" etc

I don't know if Australia is any better in that regard I know they have a whole island to rape their refugees on instead of a bunch of camps on the mainland so that's a cool innovation

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

American labor laws are a joke. "at will employment" means any pretext is legal as long as they aren't stupid enough to openly document the actual reason when its "fired for being black/pregnant/reporting harassment/gay/following policy" etc

I don't know if Australia is any better in that regard I know they have a whole island to rape their refugees on instead of a bunch of camps on the mainland so that's a cool innovation

Also, the camps are technically not Australian soil, so clearly they are not responsible. And Denmark at least it's looking into copying the obviously great system.

The best thing about the American labour laws is that somehow, some employers still forget to make up a bullshit reason and just fire people for being gay and get sued. You literally just have to write "fired for smelling bad".

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

atelier morgan posted:

boosters sell poo poo to their neighbors, friends and friends-of-friends

everybody needs clothes, or poo poo from the hardware store

i feel like you wouldn't get a very good spot price that way, and you have to move the goods (they are evidence)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

i feel like you wouldn't get a very good spot price that way, and you have to move the goods (they are evidence)

It doesn't matter if you have to sell it for 50% of the tag price when every single cent is pure profit for you. That's why people buy from boosters too, it's significantly cheaper. Everyone wins.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

BonHair posted:

Also, the camps are technically not Australian soil, so clearly they are not responsible. And Denmark at least it's looking into copying the obviously great system.

The best thing about the American labour laws is that somehow, some employers still forget to make up a bullshit reason and just fire people for being gay and get sued. You literally just have to write "fired for smelling bad".

You also have to not write an email saying "I hate how gay this guy is! Can we fire him for that?" And that's just too hard.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Owlbear Camus posted:

the thing is, charges were made for ~70,000 employees in 2020 alone, about 56% being for retaliation: https://www.natlawreview.com/article/eeoc-roundup-part-i-10-things-to-know-about-2020-charges-and-litigation-statistics?amp

many such cases of being stupid enough.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
one of my favorite things about at will employment is that it goes both ways, and now in a labor crunch people are quittng their poo poo jobs all the time with no notice, and then when the middle managers cry crocodile tears you can yell "at will employment baby! suck it!"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Nastier Nate posted:

one of my favorite things about at will employment is that it goes both ways, and now in a labor crunch people are quittng their poo poo jobs all the time with no notice, and then when the middle managers cry crocodile tears you can yell "at will employment baby! suck it!"

I for one am excited for them to get so desperate they start marching chain gangs of prison slaves into Subway to make 0.11 an hour toward their commissary as sandwich artists.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

I know most companies cry how you need to give them 2 to 3 weeks before you resign.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

etalian posted:

I know most companies cry how you need to give them 2 to 3 weeks before you resign.

And then fire you immediately after you do so.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Just left job and my boss got mad that even though I technically did give 2 weeks notice, he'll be on vacation for most of that time so it doesn't count. I should have said "if you'd like, I can also be on vacation for most of that time", but instead I just said "yeah, well." and shrugged

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Just left job and my boss got mad that even though I technically did give 2 weeks notice, he'll be on vacation for most of that time so it doesn't count. I should have said "if you'd like, I can also be on vacation for most of that time", but instead I just said "yeah, well." and shrugged

Why would that even matter, is he mad he doesn't get to spend any time with you before you go away forever? :(

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

Why would that even matter, is he mad he doesn't get to spend any time with you before you go away forever? :(

If you as a boss have convinced yourself that you have an important job, I can imagine that you could also convince yourself that you have an important role to play in handing off an exiting employee's responsibilities. He doesn't, though, and that was the last time I spoke to him.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
My last place put cashing out PTO behind a two week notice so I just quarter-assed my job and a cool bonus for it

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

make sure to give your two weeks in writing. by email bccing your personal email if possible.

this puts them on the hook for 2 weeks of unemployment if they fire you on the spot out of misguided spite. and you should file if for no other reason than gently caress em

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
My ex job literally took away everyone's vacation time and no one except myself and one other complained. Stupid bootlickers.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

it’s a nation of bootlickers I’m afraid

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

i am harry posted:

Capitalism.png: it’s a nation of bootlickers I’m afraid

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Crazycryodude posted:

It doesn't matter if you have to sell it for 50% of the tag price when every single cent is pure profit for you. That's why people buy from boosters too, it's significantly cheaper. Everyone wins.

yeah, this

also if you're boosting clothes to make a living you're not exactly on the ultraliberal grind trying to make every possible penny, and goodwill can be a lot more valuable for surviving

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

i am harry posted:

I remember days when you didn't let people make you pee into a cup to get a job running a cash register.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Last time I gave 2 weeks notice i had it written on a cake, brought it to the break room, and sent a pic to my boss.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I was running a Cafe doing 80 hour weeks but was still a casual as my boss was cheap and didn't want to give benefits, I hassled him for part time and full time contracts for a while and never got anywhere.

Dude was a class A psycho and had to hire a HR manager for a company of 30 people because the turnover was so high.

Guy was in constant contact with you about meaningless poo poo and you'd get a three page email about cheese at 3am etc. I was on vacation with my now wife and told him to gently caress off and leave me alone for it, everything was set up and the person we left in charge was on top of things.

Guy made it about 6 hours before he called me. I didn't pick up so the messages and emails started, psycho ex poo poo just blowing up my phone about cupcakes or whatever.

Eventually I picked up, told him to gently caress off forever and that I quit, good luck and such. He sputtered something about notice and handover of duties but I was a casual and didn't owe him a loving thing.

Abongination has issued a correction as of 02:47 on Nov 25, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

aperfectcirclefan posted:

My ex job literally took away everyone's vacation time and no one except myself and one other complained. Stupid bootlickers.

At a former job they wanted to have all the regular warehouse workers quit, and sign up at another company (owned by the first company) that would rent them to the first company as warehouse workers - when they felt like it, and at whatever wages they felt like. Now there was a really stupid guy working there, and all the other regulars kept telling him "don't do it don't do it don't do it" because obviously there's no way to make anyone do it (here, as we have human rights). He was all "yeh yeh of course I won't do it!" which is when everyone knew he was going to do it.

So he did.

e: This was in 2004 or something. Now he's working for my current employer and is still stupid as poo poo but at least they put him in his own little hut ½ a km away from the rest of us, so no-one has to work with him.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Carthag Tuek posted:

Oh it absolutely wasn't, but it also wasn't worth getting a lawyer over. Once you have experience working somewhere like a petrol station you can find another job in the industry very quickly.

Mostly thanks to it being an incredibly lovely job with a high turnover. For some reason.

In the end, I got my outstanding pay with no fuss and that's all I really cared about.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Last time I gave 2 weeks notice i had it written on a cake, brought it to the break room, and sent a pic to my boss.

Why didn’t you just invite your boss down to see the cake?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

i am harry posted:

Land of the free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I don't need the nanny state telling me I have rights like some kind of gayamasexual, I will take this assfucking with pride like a real man god dammit