Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Good. Get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Honestly surprised that he was convicted. Hail Satan.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
The loving defense attorney needs to roast.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Justice is possible in America, but boy do we have a lot of work to do to make it universal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

https://www.facebook.com/spotsy411

https://www.facebook.com/events/5126619377351497/

Appears likely to just be a "tee hee ironic" event by the right winger page that is "hosting" it. I've reported the host, which is violating some facebook identity rules.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How are u posted:

Justice is possible in America, but boy do we have a lot of work to do to make it universal.

If the elder McMichael hadn't given the video of the murder to an attorney to give to a local news outlet they would've got away with a lynching.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Groovelord Neato posted:

If the elder McMichael hadn't given the video of the murder to an attorney to give to a local news outlet they would've got away with a lynching.

I think this is the correct take. Without the video, this wouldn't have been even a news story. I'm glad some semblance of justice will be seen here.

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
It's impressive that all of the people Rittenhouse shot were white, and he supports BLM, but on social media there are still people saying he's a white supremacist. That's the power of narratives and ideology.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Dog King posted:

It's impressive that all of the people Rittenhouse shot were white, and he supports BLM, but on social media there are still people saying he's a white supremacist. That's the power of narratives and ideology.

cool take

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think this is the correct take. Without the video, this wouldn't have been even a news story. I'm glad some semblance of justice will be seen here.

They genuinely thought they would be lauded for this.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Dog King posted:

Well gee willikers, if he SAID it...

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Dog King posted:

Almost like these things are deeper and more complex than your two sentences portray .

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

skylined! posted:

His closing argument was that in America for us to have real freedom you should be allowed to citizen arrest anyone you want, anywhere, for any reason, and then self defense them to death if they try to escape from your crazed rumblings. I'm sure various rapists are saddened by this development as it might not allow them to citizen arrest women they see jogging in the park.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 24, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Already seeing conservatives going with "the system worked" line when it absolutely did not. DAs had videos of a murder - in broad daylight - and advised the cops not to arrest the murderers. All three of those men do not spend a day in a courthouse if that video was not given to the new station.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 24, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

Already seeing conservatives going with "the system worked" line when it absolutely did not. DAs had videos of a murder - in broad daylight - and advised the cops not to arrest the murderers. All three of those men do not spend a day in a courthouse if that video was not given to the news tation.

Yeah, it wasn't even close to working, the video is what made this case. Otherwise these guys would've walked, if they had even faced a trial.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nevermind, not worth it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Mary Trump must read the thread

https://twitter.com/MaryLTrump/status/1463583421092007940

Also banks seem to think the economy is going to do quite well in Q4.

https://twitter.com/ReutersJamie/status/1463543403187421184

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
3% to 8.7% hachi machi. That's quite a jump.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The revised job growth numbers have been strong

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

skylined! posted:

Both of them do. I don’t know who was the more racist of the two, the guy who kept having meltdowns and asking for a mistrial every day because Al Sharpton was sitting in the gallery with the family, or the long dirty toenails lady.

Also these guys are going up on federal hate crimes charges now after this, so their fun juuuuust beginning.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dog King posted:

I mean people will say "what an obvious troll" but literally millions of people hold this opinion.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

They weren't charged until the video went public. They absolutely would have gotten away with it.

Dog King posted:

I know you're already getting dunked on for trolling or whatever you were trying to do here, but for the lurkers that come to the thread looking for clarification on conflicting ideas or whatever I will give a good faith response:

A child growing up supporting police in the way Rittenhouse does is white supremacist in nature, because the institution of policing in the US is in service to white supremacy. Modern policing was born out of racism; it is baked into the system. The thin blue line flag that Rittenhouse waved on social media profile banners is a white supremacist icon. The act of defending property with violence - and its legality - has a rich history tied to the white supremacist movement in the US. The laws that Rittenhouse used to defend himself in court were born out of white supremacy. The very geographics he found himself in that night were a product of white supremacy.

You can say that Kyle Rittenhouse is not a white supremacist; fine. He may not have been a cross-burning, hood-donning Klan member. But he did the work of white supremacy, conscious or unconscious. He tied himself to an institutionally racist profession, he carried the symbols of white supremacy, he joined up with other white supremacists to defend property with lethal force, and he engaged in violence against people protesting the white supremacist-fueled shooting of a black person.

Also, funnily enough, believing - or even parroting it as if it were not a farcical joke - his claim to supporting the BLM movement without analyzing any of his actions in the context of our society or what the BLM movement is trying to do is also doing the work of white supremacy. It's lazy but it's still work.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 24, 2021

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think there is a nuanced conversation that would be useful about why people like Rittenhouse don't think they're doing the work of white supremacists and don't actually see themselves as ones but this place can't handle those talks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think there is a nuanced conversation that would be useful about why people like Rittenhouse don't think they're doing the work of white supremacists and don't actually see themselves as ones but this place can't handle those talks.

If it talks like a duck, walks like a duck, hangs out with other ducks, I don't think we need to have a conversation about why it might be a duck.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I wasn't sure Arbery's killers would face any penalty. It's not going to turn the heat down much but welcome anyway. It kind of seemed like the prosecution was trying to throw it by deliberately ignoring any racial angle.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Gumball Gumption posted:

We've had this "conversation" many times and a vast majority of posters in this thread acknowledge that a huge portion of white supremacists in the US don't think they are white supremacists. Your hot take reveals much more about you and your incorrect opinion than it does about "this place".

Lurk more is what I'm trying to say.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Very few people who are white supremacist see themselves as such. The idea that people are consciously white supremacist is often a product of the fact that relatively few people, and especially few whites, have had adult conversations about white supremacy.

I'd say that most people participating in white supremacy are aware or honest with themselves as to being white supremacists.

That's why it's not enough for white people to just claim they're not racist, or believe they're not racist. They need to consciously do anti-racist work, on themselves.

Giving up on that talk before having it isn't really useful.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
The BLM quote is like 1 minute of an hour long interview where he spends the rest of the time complaining about how unfairly he was treated and how justified he was in murdering those people. It's like how a lot of people claim they support "peaceful protest" but decry every single protest that isn't chud related.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

CommieGIR posted:

If it talks like a duck, walks like a duck, hangs out with other ducks, I don't think we need to have a conversation about why it might be a duck.

I honestly think we really do need to have that conversation. People don't see themselves as being racist even when they're directly engaging in racism, and it's largely because they don't know what it means other than "bad person." I have a rural family member who was outwardly, directly, hostilely racist, but lived by the mantra of "if you see someone who needs help, you help them." When he encountered a black man with car trouble, he dressed the man down, called him every derogatory slur in the world, infantilized him, and then said "now let me fix your drat ******* car." And to him, and to his family, he was a good person doing good in the world.

The failure of people to understand that bigotry isn't necessarily an action is one of the reasons people are able to walk themselves into becoming nazis while simultaneously thinking of themselves as good, righteous people and that not triggering serious cognitive dissonance. I think part of it is just that we refuse to actually talk about this kind of thing most of the time. Rittenhouse probably does think systemic violence against black people is bad when police do it; at the same time, he believes that the structural forces that lead to riots don't really matter, because it's simply bad people who choose to riot and loot (and in his mind these are probably the same thing).

These thoughts aren't mutually exclusive to the vast majority of people because people don't understand that racism isn't a "me" thing, it's an "us" thing. And if we aren't able to really tackle that without going "well yeah, he's just a nazi" then the only thing we'll ever actually be able to do is wait for people to fail, and then hate them for failing. Which, I think, we all realize isn't very effective.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

CommieGIR posted:

And if it steps like a goose...

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
edit: maybe not the place

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So something I’ve been wondering with this case is “are citizen’s arrests even a real thing to begin with?” Does it just wildly vary by state? Is this some holdover from Jim Crow or earlier?

To someone that isn’t a lawyer, the whole thing sounds like something you heard on tv but doesn’t make sense in the real world.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ershalim posted:

I honestly think we really do need to have that conversation. People don't see themselves as being racist even when they're directly engaging in racism, and it's largely because they don't know what it means other than "bad person." I have a rural family member who was outwardly, directly, hostilely racist, but lived by the mantra of "if you see someone who needs help, you help them." When he encountered a black man with car trouble, he dressed the man down, called him every derogatory slur in the world, infantilized him, and then said "now let me fix your drat ******* car." And to him, and to his family, he was a good person doing good in the world.

.....I don't think this is the convincing feel good argument you think it is. And maybe it wasn't meant to feel good, but it highlights that we still allow this sort of vitriol to be seen as "acceptable"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 24, 2021

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gumball Gumption posted:

So then what’s the point of your post? Either make your case or don’t, but just throwing out a vague shot about how folks can’t handle the discussion is useless

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It took a lot to get these people convicted

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1463582297244983301?s=21

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Fighting Trousers posted:

They genuinely thought they would be lauded for this.

It's kind of ironic in that the first prosecutor hand waving away their murder as a "legitimate citizen's arrest" probably convinced them that they hadn't done anything wrong, so why not release the video for everyone to see?

Hoisted by the institutional racism that was trying it's best to keep them out of jail.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 24, 2021

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Mary Trump must read the thread

https://twitter.com/MaryLTrump/status/1463583421092007940

Also banks seem to think the economy is going to do quite well in Q4.

https://twitter.com/ReutersJamie/status/1463543403187421184

Of course they do; banks have been given unlimited money with no end in sight at record-low rates, while charging consumers record-high rates.

Speaking of banks, lol:

quote:

HONG KONG/NEW YORK (Reuters) - JPMorgan Chase Chief Executive Jamie Dimon said on Wednesday he regretted his remarks that the Wall Street bank would last longer than China's Communist Party, moving quickly to avoid any longer-term fallout.

Dimon's comments had risked jeopardizing JPMorgan's growth ambitions in China where it won regulatory approval in August to become the first full foreign owner of a securities brokerage in the country. China experts in the United States said his quick apology should ensure no serious damage was done.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i just refreshed my memory on the timeline earlier today and now read the article (which is from after the video drop and before the arrest), so, quick summary and commentary

- first recusal was correct, by the lady who employed one of the murderers
- second prosecutor definitely sucked and was eventually pressured into recusing himself after he did his best to let the killers off
- third prosecutor handled the case notionally-okay insofar as referring it to a grand jury, but the article points out he could and should have arrested the dudes in the meantime to prevent them from destroying evidence and/or hurting someone else

Shortly after the article was published, the GBI (georgia's state-level fbi equivalent) stepped in and arrested the first two men.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
The fact that people can be so divorced from reality as to not recognize that they're white supremacists, when they're very obviously white supremacists, is a way that systemic racism perpetuates itself, and is something that should be proactively dug into and addressed on a policy level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I honestly thought they'd get off, because America.