Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Blut posted:

Individual cops obviously might get lucky and succeed in shooting someone in the leg. But its still not the official policy of any police forces to aim for limbs in Europe that I've seen information on, for obvious practicality reasons. Got some sources for Finland or Germany?

After a cursory search in the case of Finland, it seems our cops themselves are reluctant to officially state any policy beyond "priority is on non-violent de-escalation of the situation, use of firearms is always the last means of resort and should adhere to a proportionality principle, and all police use of force is always investigated. The police are trained to consider any shooting even as potentially fatal". Because we have so few cop shootings, even anecdotal data is sparse, but in an exceptional spree stabbing incident back in 2017, when police arrived on the scene they shot the man in the thigh and tasered him. Some police shootings here have involved guns on the suspect's side too, and presumably the cops would assess the threat level higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Germany has more shooting going on, so here's two instances from 2021

quote:

Witnesses reported the incident to the police, who found the man a short time later. The 39-year-old man was holding another bottle with presumably flammable liquid in his hand, "which he was about to set on fire", the reports said. He was also armed with a knife.

After several requests and warning shots, the police officers stopped the man who was approaching them by shooting him in the leg. The man was seriously injured, but not life-threatening. The 39-year-old was arrested and given medical treatment.

quote:

In Hilden, North Rhine-Westphalia, a 31-year-old man allegedly attacked police officers with "a kind of samurai sword". He was then shot in the leg, a police spokesperson said. The man was seriously injured and taken to hospital. However, there was no danger to his life.

The man was sitting on a bench with his sword when the police arrived. According to the Rheinische Post, the man apparently wanted to take his own life.

The police asked him to put down the sword. The man did not do so. Instead, he threatened the officers with a raised sword. The police were still working into the night to secure evidence. The background of the incident is still unclear.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rappaport posted:

After a cursory search in the case of Finland, it seems our cops themselves are reluctant to officially state any policy beyond "priority is on non-violent de-escalation of the situation, use of firearms is always the last means of resort and should adhere to a proportionality principle, and all police use of force is always investigated. The police are trained to consider any shooting even as potentially fatal". Because we have so few cop shootings, even anecdotal data is sparse, but in an exceptional spree stabbing incident back in 2017, when police arrived on the scene they shot the man in the thigh and tasered him. Some police shootings here have involved guns on the suspect's side too, and presumably the cops would assess the threat level higher.

It’s along similar lines in Turkey, which is set to join the European Union any day now.

quote:

Within the scope of subparagraph (c) of the seventh paragraph, the police calls the person to "stop" before using a gun. If the person does not comply with this call and continues to flee, a gun may be fired first as a warning. However, if it is not possible to capture the person because he insists on escaping, a gun can be fired in sufficient measure to ensure the capture of the person.

A cursory search on Google in Turkey shows countless cases of people deemed violent suspects by the (broadly murderous, practically genocidal) Turkish police being disabled with a shot to the foot, which comports with my reading of this policy that shoot-to-kill is supposed to be a last resort. Although some years ago there were columnists arguing the police should have a license to kill “as they do in America.” Are Turkish cops just great shots? They seem maybe only a hair smarter or skilled than American ones.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I have this vague recollection that "if you are going to shoot, shoot to kill" is a guideline for private citizens engaging in self-defence, and not specific to any particular country or even to guns (it applies to e.g. knives as well).

Basically, the only reason to use potentially lethal weapons is if you're in fear for your life and retreat is not an option for whatever reason (you have a child with you, attacker is chasing you, etc.). If you're in a "it's them or me" situation, it's ok to pull out all the stops and go for the attack that is most likely to put them out of commission, i.e. centre mass.

Now aiming for the arms or legs isn't bad per se, but it's a strong indicator that you weren't quite as much in fear of your life as you claimed, because you felt safe enough to take the risk (to yourself) of missing or failing to disable the attacker. You wouldn't do that if your life was actually in danger, or your child's life, and you might get challenged on that during the investigation of the killing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

NihilCredo posted:

I have this vague recollection that "if you are going to shoot, shoot to kill" is a guideline for private citizens engaging in self-defence, and not specific to any particular country or even to guns (it applies to e.g. knives as well).

Basically, the only reason to use potentially lethal weapons is if you're in fear for your life and retreat is not an option for whatever reason (you have a child with you, attacker is chasing you, etc.). If you're in a "it's them or me" situation, it's ok to pull out all the stops and go for the attack that is most likely to put them out of commission, i.e. centre mass.

This goes for general self defence, even if you're unarmed. Like, the guideline is: if you have to defend yourself, go in super hard, and make it hurt as much as possible. It's you or them, don't care about what happens to them, put all your strength into the blows.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

The US police is a military force, and the objective of a military force is to kill the enemy. Unsurprisingly, the US police is very good at this.

However, the US police is incredibly, laughably, exceedingly terrible at being a police force, to the degree that entire parts of the population genuinely and probably rightly feel they would be not only better off, but safer, if the police were disbanded entirely over night.

No country should get it in their heads to take any hints from the US on policework, which especially includes the taste for militarized tacticool procedure and received internet wisdom that you have to shoot people in the heart and head as soon as you draw a gun (which you do as soon as you arrive at the scene since you are, of course, a soldier in a violent military conflict).

Yeah, the call of duty aesthetic makes police work seem much cooler. But it ultimately feedback loops into a police force who literally hopes to center point some terrist dude on any given day.

This is all just bullshit anyway. This is not science, tjis is the handywork of instructors and consultants who bring in procedure from the military because it sells well. It ends with US police spending valuable training time learning how to kill dudes efficiently. But because these so called experts have all the clout, Americans believe all that poo poo about pulling a machine gun on anyone who the police talks to, and how the police must shoot first and talk later, and how the police can only do their job by escalating maximally, which includes killing the perp.
Meanwhile, literally all other police officers all over the world shoot people without turning then into hamburger meat, like, all the time.

Edit: GO AS HARD AS POSSIBLE

Look at your police. Just look at. I am sure everyone feels so self defended and secure now

Lmao Americans sometimes

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 22, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure the US police are literally more violent, more triggy-happy and less willing to deescalate than the military are. At this point ex-military get kicked out for not being murderous enough.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure the US police are literally more violent, more triggy-happy and less willing to deescalate than the military are. At this point ex-military get kicked out for not being murderous enough.
:thunk: When that ninja wannabe attacked US soldiers with a Katana in California they did call the cops while hiding in their barrack.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Toplowtech posted:

:thunk: When that ninja wannabe attacked US soldiers with a Katana in California they did call the cops while hiding in their barrack.

To be clear, they were not armed and are constitutionally encouraged to defer in favor of civilian police while on domestic soil.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Antigravitas posted:

It flows naturally from the Verhältnismäßigkeitsgrundsatz (Principle of Proportionality). Since a lot of it is state based and horribly fragmented and hard to access I'll just quote from an old version of the "Bekanntmachung des Bayerischen Staatsministeriums des Innern über den Vollzug des Polizeiaufgabengesetzes", i.e. the Bavarian regulations:

(That's machine translated because I'm not going to do a proper translation of Behördendeutsch to German to English over an Internet argument)

Thats really interesting, thanks for that. Thats the only actual formally codified policy of aiming for the limbs I've seen. Good on the Bavarians.

Its still wildly impractical in most practical scenarios when things have gotten bad enough for guns to be drawn, but the police at least being told to try to do it can't hurt I suppose.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

police try to shoot at the legs here as well. there are instances of police killing people - especially mentally ill people - but generally when they shoot they seem to avoid killing people. i don't think "wildly impractical" is appropriate

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

V. Illych L. posted:

police try to shoot at the legs here as well. there are instances of police killing people - especially mentally ill people - but generally when they shoot they seem to avoid killing people. i don't think "wildly impractical" is appropriate

I think that a lot of the practicality arguments basically come from guys who are thinking of 25m pistol ranges rather than more realistic five meter engagements. It's very possible to aim for a leg. Americans (whether police or not) are just told to kill, rather than risk physical or legal liability.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kaal posted:

I think that a lot of the practicality arguments basically come from guys who are thinking of 25m pistol ranges rather than more realistic five meter engagements. It's very possible to aim for a leg. Americans (whether police or not) are just told to kill, rather than risk physical or legal liability.

America’s just really big and spread out, Europeans wouldn’t know with their tiny countries where everyone has to rub shoulders all the time, so this makes perfect sense.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

American cops are trained to shoot for centre mass rather than the legs because it's very hard to hit skinny teenager legs when they are running at full tilt away from you

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sweden just got its first female prime minister today.

Sweden also just had its first ever female prime minister resign, 7 hours later.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

MiddleOne posted:

Sweden just got its first female prime minister today.

Sweden also just had its first ever female prime minister resign, 7 hours later.

Finally were turning the corner on gender rights.

Why'd they resign 7 hours later? More context!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The environmental party left the coalition after the government's proposed budget failed a vote in parliament. She'll likely have to take on the job of PM as head of a single-party government.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Stolen from scandipol:

Beeswax posted:

Sweden got its first female PM, Magdalena Andersson from the Social Democrats. She spent days trying to wrangle support out of the Left Party and eventually got their backing after making concessions in the form of increased pensions for the poorest OAPs, providing a feasible foundation for a minority government with her as PM. Then parliament voted in favour of the right-wing opposition's budget, with the Centre Party (pro-market liberals) supporting the right-wing budget despite having had a hard line against the Swedish Democracts (populist right-wingers) in that bloc. Then the Green Party announced that it would leave the government over having to implement a budget that the Swedish Democracts backed. And then the PM resigned.

I think that's about it. Big ol' circus.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1463576961264013316?s=20

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The context is that politic is still politic even if you are a woman. Any extra misogyny is free, however.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's a pretty pithy headline, but when you realize that she did it because she didn't want to be prime minister of a government whose basis for existence would be called into question at every turn had she not, and that there's a pretty good likelyhood that she'll be the prime minister of the new government given the Swedish term limits (at least according to a Swedish friend of mine who's been following it for a long time, when I talked with her earlier today), it's not really that big of a deal and probably the right thing to do?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

On the contrary, it was completely unnecessary and basically showboating.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

MiddleOne posted:

Ah yes, politics.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

So you're saying people wouldn't constantly be saying "how can this government even exist given its lack of majority or consensus on the very first budget"? Because I'm not so sure about that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

европа нехорошо. Россия хорошо

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

So you're saying people wouldn't constantly be saying "how can this government even exist given its lack of majority or consensus on the very first budget"? Because I'm not so sure about that.

That whole situation isn't changed.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

европа нехорошо. Россия хорошо

congrats on using Google Translate i guess

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pope Hilarius II posted:

congrats on using Google Translate i guess

No translate. Other than verifying Europe was spelled correctly.

Мои русский плох

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

моя задница счастлива

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Why do people join the French Foreign Legion, what's the big deal?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
If it's anything like Spanish one: clean slate on your crimes in other countries, new nationality after your service. And the expected shooting guns and male camaraderie.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dawncloack posted:

If it's anything like Spanish one: clean slate on your crimes in other countries, new nationality after your service. And the expected shooting guns and male camaraderie.
Yeah, my understanding is that they furnish you with an entirely new (French) identity.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, my understanding is that they furnish you with an entirely new (French) identity.

but then you would be French

why

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
The Legion gives everyone who passes and stays in a clean slate and a possibility of French citizenship, which is enticing for many young males around the world, and all you have to do is show up at their door. You also see some westerners / ex-military looking for adventure and a good chance to keep shooting at people. They do perform background checks these days, so if you have done any serious crimes you will not be accepted.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Haramstufe Rot posted:

but then you would be French

why
Free healthcare.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Just saw this: ex-CNI Senior figure claims Spanish Secret Service carried out the jihadist attacks via an informant on Barcelona to try to sway the Catalonia Independence movement away from supporting the referendum

https://twitter.com/josepalay/status/1480947545836765186?s=20

The twitter account appears to be a little off the beaten path, but this article also seems to claim the same

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19841925.secret-service-behind-barcelona-terror-attacks-says-ex-cop/

He gave testimony to Spains High Court saying the same thing:

https://english.vilaweb.cat/noticies/villarejo-claims-that-spains-intel-was-involved-in-the-barcelona-terrorist-attack-of-2017/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 12, 2022

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

CommieGIR posted:

Just saw this: ex-CNI Senior figure claims Spanish Secret Service carried out the jihadist attacks via an informant on Barcelona to try to sway the Catalonia Independence movement away from supporting the referendum

https://twitter.com/josepalay/status/1480947545836765186?s=20

The twitter account appears to be a little off the beaten path, but this article also seems to claim the same

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19841925.secret-service-behind-barcelona-terror-attacks-says-ex-cop/

He gave testimony to Spains High Court saying the same thing:

https://english.vilaweb.cat/noticies/villarejo-claims-that-spains-intel-was-involved-in-the-barcelona-terrorist-attack-of-2017/

Let's check some more sources from other media:

https://www.ccma.cat/tv3/alacarta/t.../video/6138392/

https://www.lavanguardia.com/politica/20220112/7981263/villarejo-culpa-cni-17-a-socios-sanchez-explicaciones.html

https://www.elperiodico.com/es/politica/20220112/villarejo-vuelve-culpar-cni-17-13086211

https://elpais.com/espana/2022-01-11/villarejo-alienta-la-teoria-de-la-conspiracion-en-los-atentados-de-barcelona.html

https://www.efe.com/efe/espana/politica/villarejo-el-cni-no-pretendia-un-atentado-pero-se-le-fue-de-las-manos/10002-4715681

SOme context about those guys:

1- Josep Lluís Alay is the former chief of Puigdemont's office and a close personal friend, he's been under investigation under charges of ebezzlement and corruption, by the way he's also the guy that led the meetings with the (alleged)russian officers during the height of the "procés", more info: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/03/world/europe/spain-catalonia-russia.html.

2- Vilaweb is an independentist media owned by Vicent Partal, who's an absolut mad lad that loves flames everyone, including other independentists and the Generalitat when it suits him, I heard he's close to the CUP but can't say for certain. Also it published more info afterwards a bit with what was said afterwards: https://www.vilaweb.cat/noticies/villarejo-explica-ara-estat-no-volia-causar-atemptat-17-a-pero-va-escapar-de-les-mans/

3- I'm not familiar with the National Scot.

Dunno, going from this to "the CNI is behind the attacks" is kind of a leap of logic. I'm not willing to takes Villarejo's words at face value, at least not with more evidence and facts, especially considering who Villarejo is, what he has said in the past and the context of the whole thing.

I'm amused that the catalan government is jumping gun with this poo poo now, instead of three years ago, when the catalan police, in collaboration with other police forces and intelligence services, presented their final investigation to the court for the trial. Coincidently, the entire catalan police command has been purged by the catalan government very recently, so I guess we're going to have a couple weeks of funny poo poo going on, again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Angry Lobster posted:

Let's check some more sources from other media:

https://www.ccma.cat/tv3/alacarta/t.../video/6138392/

https://www.lavanguardia.com/politica/20220112/7981263/villarejo-culpa-cni-17-a-socios-sanchez-explicaciones.html

https://www.elperiodico.com/es/politica/20220112/villarejo-vuelve-culpar-cni-17-13086211

https://elpais.com/espana/2022-01-11/villarejo-alienta-la-teoria-de-la-conspiracion-en-los-atentados-de-barcelona.html

https://www.efe.com/efe/espana/politica/villarejo-el-cni-no-pretendia-un-atentado-pero-se-le-fue-de-las-manos/10002-4715681

SOme context about those guys:

1- Josep Lluís Alay is the former chief of Puigdemont's office and a close personal friend, he's been under investigation under charges of ebezzlement and corruption, by the way he's also the guy that led the meetings with the (alleged)russian officers during the height of the "procés", more info: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/03/world/europe/spain-catalonia-russia.html.

2- Vilaweb is an independentist media owned by Vicent Partal, who's an absolut mad lad that loves flames everyone, including other independentists and the Generalitat when it suits him, I heard he's close to the CUP but can't say for certain. Also it published more info afterwards a bit with what was said afterwards: https://www.vilaweb.cat/noticies/villarejo-explica-ara-estat-no-volia-causar-atemptat-17-a-pero-va-escapar-de-les-mans/

3- I'm not familiar with the National Scot.

Dunno, going from this to "the CNI is behind the attacks" is kind of a leap of logic. I'm not willing to takes Villarejo's words at face value, at least not with more evidence and facts, especially considering who Villarejo is, what he has said in the past and the context of the whole thing.

I'm amused that the catalan government is jumping gun with this poo poo now, instead of three years ago, when the catalan police, in collaboration with other police forces and intelligence services, presented their final investigation to the court for the trial. Coincidently, the entire catalan police command has been purged by the catalan government very recently, so I guess we're going to have a couple weeks of funny poo poo going on, again.

Gotcha, thanks for fact checking that!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EU wants to build its own DNS infrastructure with built-in filtering capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Having read the actual text, sounds good? DNSSEC validating recursive resolver free for use and not Google.

I use my own recursive resolver, but it would be useful elsewhere.