Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm always a bit surprised with the amount of love Moenbryda gets specifically because of the aforementioned Poochie factor. She was fine but the way people here often talk about her makes it feel like I missed something. If I was snarkier I'd assume it was just another case of "big lady hot" but I'm giving the writers the benefit of the doubt here and assuming I missed something in the story I played almost a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Ok so I got another thought, what if fancy dan is actually killed and beaten around level 87 as the trial and the 87 dungeon is after that rather than before; so the whole end of days actually has nothing to do with him, but with Zenos doing some bullshit with Zodiark. Because I do not actually recall him saying he was trying to bring about the end of days, just the end of the world; which while similar are things that can be defined very differently.

Honestly I'm just spinnin my wheels waiting for the next couple of weeks.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Countblanc posted:

I'm always a bit surprised with the amount of love Moenbryda gets specifically because of the aforementioned Poochie factor. She was fine but the way people here often talk about her makes it feel like I missed something. If I was snarkier I'd assume it was just another case of "big lady hot" but I'm giving the writers the benefit of the doubt here and assuming I missed something in the story I played almost a decade ago.

She's an active interesting Scion when most of them spend the entire time telling you to go kill a thing as they do nothing. Is the more generic answer you're looking for. She's a character, instead of a prop. Even if she's got poochie energy.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Moenbryda was a serviceable character, entertaining.

But she had a big 'Special Guest Star Who Is Going To Meet An Unfortunate End' sign across her back in both how she was written, and how her assets were created.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I thought she was lame and boring but it was still stupid to ice her right after she shows up. I hate the term because people have basically made it mean "something i dont like happened to a female character" but it really did feel like classic fridging lol

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

it was very clear this was not a real character.

They were all barely characters that early. She just never got a chance to develop.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

If I had to guess what Fandango's motive is, the thing that caught my attention the most was the way he said that he wants to die. It made me think that he was a part of some Ascian experiment that messed up his soul in such a way that even returning it to the Lifestream doesn't fix. So Dan believes that the only way to end whatever he is going through is to delete reality. (whether he is right remains to be seen).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

We made him dramatic as a joke

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

They're gonna kill Urianger in 6.0 so G'raha can take over his role of "guy who explains things" in 7.0 and do it without talking in Ye Olde Englishe so people actually understand what's being explained without having another character immediately repeat what Urianger said in plain talk

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chillgamesh posted:

They're gonna kill Urianger in 6.0 so G'raha can take over his role of "guy who explains things" in 7.0 and do it without talking in Ye Olde Englishe so people actually understand what's being explained without having another character immediately repeat what Urianger said in plain talk
Urianger will not die, but will move to Mars, to build fast cars.

Thancred realizes his problem is his brain, so he will move to Jupiter, to get more stupider.

Countblanc posted:

I think "big lady hot" is a significant component but I don't think it's all of it; I do think that that aspect made the part where she's sort of the dynamic new person who shows up and has all the energy and forwardness and everyone's down with her plan go down in a way it would not have if they had done the same beats with Cid's Sharlayan cousin Mid or something.

I also think that the situation probably parsed differently when the patches were coming out. She was around for two patches, wasn't she? Did she have any beats in sidequests at the time? You kind of got a feeling in the patch quests of actual time passing in game that you don't if you're doing them after the fact, which I think they are somewhat better about taking into account now but were less aware of in 2.x. It's like when I realized that having Ysayle join you and be revealed to be a very sad lady in Heavensward was probably way more of an impact if you had encountered her 6-9 months ago, and possibly had been fighting her every Thursday with your FC for a couple of months.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nah I've been playing since 2.1 and it was very obvious she was just there to die.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Countblanc posted:

She caused Urianger to spontaneously develop a personality.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

she was the only scion willing to play as a tank until they forced thancred to change jobs eight years later and for that i respect her

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Moenbryda wasn't exactly designed to die - Ishikawa was annoyed that's what they used her for - but as tailored she was a too-convenient fit into the social structure of the existing Scions when they hadn't really earned it. She should have been around longer and the rest of the bunch should have had better development to that point as well, but the whole 1.0-ARR-HW content pipeline makes fools of us all.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

She caused Urianger to spontaneously develop a personality.

gently caress I want to disagree with you but his reintroduction into the plot is literally

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Urianger has always had a personality! It's "fuckin' nerd". Further developments have upgraded him to "extremely dramatic fuckin' nerd".

Though am I the only person that actually understands him just fine? I am also a fuckin' nerd, and I'm getting so tired of watching streamer clips of people going "hurr hurr thee thou doth my butthole" everytime Urianger says anything, because apparently the average gamer was spooked by a Shakespeare play in their youth or something.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FeatherFloat posted:

Urianger has always had a personality! It's "fuckin' nerd". Further developments have upgraded him to "extremely dramatic fuckin' nerd".

Though am I the only person that actually understands him just fine? I am also a fuckin' nerd, and I'm getting so tired of watching streamer clips of people going "hurr hurr thee thou doth my butthole" everytime Urianger says anything, because apparently the average gamer was spooked by a Shakespeare play in their youth or something.

I never had trouble understanding him, he's a little flowery but not full on Shakespearean or anything.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I understand him just fine but I have a very particular fascination with archaic English and media that uses it to sound old-timey so his dialogue was basically made for me and me alone.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Urianger can't die because he's handing out the quests for all the optional ARR trials

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

everyone can understand urianger just fine, they just make fun of him for being a nerd

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Only Brian can understand Urianger

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Urianger is legit my fave non-catboy Scion and I will frown very hard if he dies.

I just love his dramatic rear end.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My theory with the positive public response to Moenbryda is that it's actually because she died so quick. She hits so many of the same personality buttons as Lyse in Stormblood that I imagine, if she stuck around, she would have the exact same sort of wide, low-level hatred. You know, the vaguely misogynist 'being complained about for minor problems that you're pretty sure would not have been an issue if Alphinaud was here doing exactly the same thing instead'.

I don't think the wider FFXIV community actually likes dealing with that sort of character, they just like the idea of them. Which is why Moenbryda is widely loved by that same community; because they didn't actually have her around for an extended period.

That part of the community doesn't really exist over here, but I see it weirdly often everywhere else.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

SirPhoebos posted:

If I had to guess what Fandango's motive is, the thing that caught my attention the most was the way he said that he wants to die. It made me think that he was a part of some Ascian experiment that messed up his soul in such a way that even returning it to the Lifestream doesn't fix. So Dan believes that the only way to end whatever he is going through is to delete reality. (whether he is right remains to be seen).
I don't think he was part of some experiment (but maybe his soul crystal was prototype), but I think he wants to delete reality to end his life because his soul is messed up in some way - whether it's because his soul crystal is broken and there are two competing personalities within him (Asahi and Fanny with Asahi being an insane suicidal guy) or it's some other reason (e.g. after millennia of being defective soul and servant of Unsundered, hoping for restoration of some paradise he can't even properly remember due to his broken soul crystal, he simply gave up any hope and desperately wants to end it all), I think his motive is indeed to end his life by ending lifestream and cycle of reincarnation (and everything else), so he is no longer reborn broken again.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 25, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cleretic posted:

My theory with the positive public response to Moenbryda is that it's actually because she died so quick. She hits so many of the same personality buttons as Lyse in Stormblood that I imagine, if she stuck around, she would have the exact same sort of wide, low-level hatred. You know, the vaguely misogynist 'being complained about for minor problems that you're pretty sure would not have been an issue if Alphinaud was here doing exactly the same thing instead'.

I don't think the wider FFXIV community actually likes dealing with that sort of character, they just like the idea of them. Which is why Moenbryda is widely loved by that same community; because they didn't actually have her around for an extended period.

That part of the community doesn't really exist over here, but I see it weirdly often everywhere else.

Unless Moen got an entire expansion dedicated to her after being AWOL for most of the previous expansion, I doubt it.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Tamba posted:

Urianger can't die because he's handing out the quests for all the optional ARR trials

that's past urianger, quests are always locked in a time bubble so it doesn't matter if you do them out of order

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Moenbryda seems like she'd have gotten over fine, although I imagine she would have become somewhat more reserved or frequently occupied just because her general personality was the kind of thing that would fill up a lot of space in the long term. Alternately she ends up joining the Ironworks and takes something like Jessie or that cool-glasses Viera's role.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Xad posted:

that's past urianger, quests are always locked in a time bubble so it doesn't matter if you do them out of order

Yeah, can't you still go get ARR Extremes from him even if he's currently on The First? Not to mention doing Coils anytime post-ARR.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I'm finally sitting down to do Eden and man, Gaia the Amaurotine and Gaia the Ryne's goth GF are super explicitly two distinct individuals huh

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TGLT posted:

I'm finally sitting down to do Eden and man, Gaia the Amaurotine and Gaia the Ryne's goth GF are super explicitly two distinct individuals huh

Yes, that is rather the point. Gaia is not the woman justifiably killed for trying to kill the entire population of a planet.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Yeah, she's Krysten Ritter instead.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
man i'm trying to be a snarky rear end in a top hat about the whole reincarnation thing but HERE YOU ARE

But yeah Eden's story feels like a further reinforcement of "characters are not the person they inherited some part of their soul from" and subsequently no, we're not Azem in any meaningful sense.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

DanielCross posted:

Yeah, can't you still go get ARR Extremes from him even if he's currently on The First? Not to mention doing Coils anytime post-ARR.

I always get a kick out of this when it happens, though.

"Alisaie, why don't you remember me? We sat under the stars and pondered about life :cry:"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Zoig posted:

Ok so I got another thought, what if fancy dan is actually killed and beaten around level 87 as the trial and the 87 dungeon is after that rather than before; so the whole end of days actually has nothing to do with him, but with Zenos doing some bullshit with Zodiark. Because I do not actually recall him saying he was trying to bring about the end of days, just the end of the world; which while similar are things that can be defined very differently.

Honestly I'm just spinnin my wheels waiting for the next couple of weeks.

I had a similar idea, but it was that we end up killing Zodiark himself around 87 or so(possibly with some interference from Fanny Danny or Zenos) and that's what restarts the End Of Days.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I'm glad the FF8 raid is also a love story with two idiots

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Eimi posted:

I mean my theory is that Fandaniel is much more the person he was before than Fandaniel the Ancient, combined with the memory crystal being hosed up, he's someone who had his original life stolen from him by some all power ancient rear end in a top hat, who told him to go enact these complicated plans and schemes and that oh he knows he probably died enacting them before. It's just all this compound frustration with his situation, hating the Ascians who forced him to do this, and his rebellion is essentially oh he's going to do the one thing they didn't want and he's going to end those days and kill all of them the smug pricks.

I was doing some reading since I wanted to know who of the Convocation is still unaccounted for since any of the remaining thirteen have to have some ah opinions on Fandaniel going rogue. Altima and Pashtarot are seen in person once and have not reappeared. Halmarut and Deudalaphon are mentioned, but unseen. Their offices are likely vacant.

More importantly and the reason I'm quoting this post is because while reading I came across something Emet-Selch said that I had forgotten and ties into your theory. The Unsundered can raise anyone to the offices of the Convocation, but they prefer to raise those fragmented souls of former members since they are the most loyal followers of Zodiark.

Fandaniel says something very revealing to Zenos when Zenos mentions his dream of the Final Days. It is, "Admittedly, my knowledge is mostly secondhand."

Which to me strongly indicates that unlike Gaia or the WoL. The person who was lifted up to the office of Fandaniel on the Convocation is not a reincarnation of that title holder how was actually on it when Zodiark was summoned. This is why as you say, he's raging so hard and rebelling.

tl;dr: I think your fan theory is correct.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

OhFunny posted:

I was doing some reading since I wanted to know who of the Convocation is still unaccounted for since any of the remaining thirteen have to have some ah opinions on Fandaniel going rogue. Altima and Pashtarot are seen in person once and have not reappeared. Halmarut and Deudalaphon are mentioned, but unseen. Their offices are likely vacant.

Worth noting that in the Ascian roundtable scene after Ramuh, all seats are occupied. So at the point of 2.3, either every single Ascian was alive, or there was some seat-filling chicanery going on (which may explain Emmerololth being there despite dying sometime in 2.1-2.2).

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

TGLT posted:

...No?

It's a lot squishier than that and I think Cleretic just wants it to be that way because it's treating "complicity with genocide" with a degree of moral gray. But at this point we're getting into interpretation. I got literally the opposite response, to the point of finding the "Azem doesn't matter!" fanatics infinitely more annoying than ANY of the Emet simps.

Azem would not be brought up constantly in a story about the importance of remembering and legacy and redress with the past if it was not hammering you, unsubtly, in the face with "THIS IS YOU" until it broke your nose.

Then it just becomes villains whinging on about something you have no reason to care about.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 26, 2021

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

OhFunny posted:

I was doing some reading since I wanted to know who of the Convocation is still unaccounted for since any of the remaining thirteen have to have some ah opinions on Fandaniel going rogue.

I'm hoping they're all out in the shards doing ascian stuff and have no idea what Fandaniel is doing or even that all the unsundered are dead until the WoL turns up on the moon and sets off an alarm or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Cleretic posted:

Worth noting that in the Ascian roundtable scene after Ramuh, all seats are occupied. So at the point of 2.3, either every single Ascian was alive, or there was some seat-filling chicanery going on (which may explain Emmerololth being there despite dying sometime in 2.1-2.2).

I just rewatched the scene and indeed they all are. I had to watch it twice though since opening angle made me think the two closest to the camera were vacant.

Emmerololth's presence at the meeting can be explained in game by saying another fragment of Emmerololth's soul was found and raised up. Although it's clearly something the writers overlooked when penning the Eureka storyline.