Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Dip Viscous posted:

FedEx has been sending a package back and forth between different towns in Indiana and Kentucky since July. Its origin and destination are both in Iowa. It's so low value that it's not worth trying to get it straightened out, but HOW??

The package doesn't even exist. It was lost long ago. What's happening is that you're seeing logical scans. Meaning that the package is supposed to be on the truck. If it was, it would get a physical scan but, instead, it keeps following that truck back and forth because it's supposed to be on there.

The package should be exceptioned after a missed scan but sometimes, for unknown reason, it doesn't happen. That package, if it doesn't magically re-appear, will stay in the void until you call them to fix it.

With FedEx, they'll collapse the train of false logicals to make it seem like they're not dumbasses. With UPS, they retain the full tracking history because UPS does automatic GSRs if they screw up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Had this exchange today:

Mother: Do you want any of your grandfather's old slippers?
Me: No, I don't wear slippers, and I definitely don't want a pair of worn out slippers that are two sizes too big for me and are crusted with grandpa's notoriously bad foot fungus. Just throw them away.
Mother: Ok, you can try them on next time you visit and decide which ones you want.

MEDICAL WASTE IS NOT A FAMILY HEIRLOOM PLEASE STOP SHOVING OLD GARBAGE AT ME

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TV/movie scenes where a character is just swimming around underwater on a single breath for like, forever. Just going into underwater structures and poo poo, not seeming to need oxygen. Sometimes they're supposed to be particularly adapted to the water as characters, but lots of times they're just some guy. If it were me, I'd have a panic attack and drown

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

TV/movie scenes where a character is just swimming around underwater on a single breath for like, forever. Just going into underwater structures and poo poo, not seeming to need oxygen. Sometimes they're supposed to be particularly adapted to the water as characters, but lots of times they're just some guy. If it were me, I'd have a panic attack and drown

I have a habit of holding my breath in underwater scenes, to see if it's realistic. I almost passed out in High School watching 'The Abyss'

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
In Mission Impossible 5 there's an extended underwater section which they filmed by having Tom Cruise hold his breath for like 6 minutes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah but Tom Cruise is insane, and will die in a movie stunt he insists on doing once he gets old enough he can't.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That sounds terrible to me, like true hell. I got pretty into swimming back in the day but drat, that is a level beyond me.

And the thing that gets me is that even if they can hold their breath as long as they have been, the whole time I'm thinking YOU HAVE TO GET BACK TO THE SURFACE, IT'S THE SAME DISTANCE ON LESS OXYGEN WHY ARE YOU GOING INTO THAT UNDERWATER CAVE/WRECK/TUNNEL YOU IDIOT

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Also, realizing the right/smart way to do a task just as you complete the wrong/dumb actions. Like, the very moment.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People who redeem the "highlight my message" reward on twitch. What are you, a five-year-old on a swing? "Mum! Dad! Look at me! Look! Mum, you're not looking! Watch how high I can go!"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tiggum posted:

People who redeem the "highlight my message" reward on twitch. What are you, a five-year-old on a swing? "Mum! Dad! Look at me! Look! Mum, you're not looking! Watch how high I can go!"

Counterpoint: it's funny to waste points highlighting the dumbest poo poo imaginable

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Also, realizing the right/smart way to do a task just as you complete the wrong/dumb actions. Like, the very moment.
I love how this conjures up images of anything from trivial mistakes to life-ending catastrophes.

Related: that moment (especially at work, when you're talking to your supervisor or are in a meeting) when you have just asked a question and you realize you could have easily found the answer by making even the smallest effort on your part. (Like, idk, whatever is your work equivalent to, "Is it raining outside right now?")

I hate it when people do that to me; I hate it when I do that to others.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That's when you say you were "musing" or "thinking aloud" and act annoyed if they genuinely answered.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People with job elitism

Like rear end in a top hat, I used to save your dog when it impales itself on a pointy fence cuz you didn't train it well, and now I keep your planes from falling out of the sky on your very important business trip or whatever you do when you aren't sending emails 9-5 and complaining McDonald's workers are lazy. You absolutely cannot do my poo poo, but you're better than me cuz I never finished my useless history degree and I get paid hourly?

Hit me back up about how many people care when line go down vs how many people care when Fido dies or 200 people die on impact.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hobbyist gatekeeping.

There are people who seem to feel as though, because their experience getting started with a hobby with difficult or especially labor-intensive, that everyone's ought to be. These are the sort of people who use the phrase "spoon-feed" derisively.

There are excellent people who are happy to condense their knowledge and experience into easy-to-follow, quick-start guides, and I'm grateful for them. But man, looking up information online and the first handful of results being forum posts by some boomer dipshit saying ugh, THIS again, did you not read EVERY POST EVER ON THIS FORUM before asking your question is the pits.

I like doing research, and I'm good at it, but sometimes you just feel like grabbing some gear and getting started having fun, you know?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Hobbyist gatekeeping.

There are people who seem to feel as though, because their experience getting started with a hobby with difficult or especially labor-intensive, that everyone's ought to be. These are the sort of people who use the phrase "spoon-feed" derisively.

There are excellent people who are happy to condense their knowledge and experience into easy-to-follow, quick-start guides, and I'm grateful for them. But man, looking up information online and the first handful of results being forum posts by some boomer dipshit saying ugh, THIS again, did you not read EVERY POST EVER ON THIS FORUM before asking your question is the pits.

I like doing research, and I'm good at it, but sometimes you just feel like grabbing some gear and getting started having fun, you know?

This was also my experience with the linux community. "If you have to ask a question that basic, maybe you should just go back to using windows, sheeple." Dude, not everyone is a full-time programmer who compiles their own OS. Some of us just want to do normal computer stuff without using windows.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
It just took me six hours and three devices to sign into Windows 10. gently caress off. How is the way I signed in 4 hours ago less secura than than the way I signed in 5 hours ago?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Reading reviews on Steam and GOG of Hextech Mayhem, the League of Legends-universe sidescrolling platformer / rhythm game reminded me of a major pet peeve of mine IRT PC gaming: in 2021, there are still dudes out there who absolutely 100% believe that "PC game = keyboard + mouse" and will leave lovely reviews for any game on PC that doesn't suit those controls. If Nintendo put Mario 64 on PC, there would without a doubt be hundreds of negative reviews of it on Steam from guys saying "keyboard controls are garbage and you can't rebind, 0/10 stars". Controller games have been a major thing on PC gaming for over a decade now. If you're a PC gamer in 2021 you should already own some sort of controller and/or have sense enough not to buy platformers and third-person action games and other such things that anyone would reasonably expect to be designed with using a controller in mind, instead of buying those games anyway and then leaving lovely reviews when it turns out that, shockingly, the latest third-person cross-platform game that also launched on consoles doesn't play well with KB+M.

It's like if I only owned a hammer and left a bad review on a box of screws I bought off Amazon because they didn't work well with what I had.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Nov 25, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Imagined posted:

Reading reviews on Steam and GOG of Hextech Mayhem, the League of Legends-universe sidescrolling platformer / rhythm game reminded me of a major pet peeve of mine IRT PC gaming: in 2021, there are still dudes out there who absolutely 100% believe that "PC game = keyboard + mouse" and will leave lovely reviews for any game on PC that doesn't suit those controls. If Nintendo put Mario 64 on PC, there would without a doubt be hundreds of negative reviews of it on Steam from guys saying "keyboard controls are garbage and you can't rebind, 0/10 stars". Controller games have been a major thing on PC gaming for over a decade now. If you're a PC gamer in 2021 you should already own some sort of controller and/or have sense enough not to buy platformers and third-person action games and other such things that anyone would reasonably expect to be designed with using a controller in mind, instead of buying those games anyway and then leaving lovely reviews when it turns out that, shockingly, the latest third-person cross-platform game that also launched on consoles doesn't play well with KB+M.

It's like if I only owned a hammer and left a bad review on a box of screws I bought off Amazon because they didn't work well with what I had.

Nope. PC games should be playable with keyboard and mouse. That's the control scheme for that system. And not having fully customisable controls on any system in a game released in the 21st century is loving ridiculous. And if you can't make your game work properly on PC with PC controls, don't sell it you're incompetent.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It drives me nuts when people can't make a simple decision when making a purchase, and they have to keep browsing aimlessly, inspecting the details of every thing that catches their eye and weighs whether its a better deal or not and ugh

JUST PICK THE THING AND BUY IT dear god I must be cursed with shopping efficiency cause I see what I want, grab it and buy it. In and out. Real simple.

poo poo or get off the pot!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Tiggum posted:

Nope. PC games should be playable with keyboard and mouse. That's the control scheme for that system. And not having fully customisable controls on any system in a game released in the 21st century is loving ridiculous. And if you can't make your game work properly on PC with PC controls, don't sell it you're incompetent.
I played GTA Online and Rocket League for years with KB+M only.

I was an idiot.

Don't be like me.

Or at least be like me after I remembered that analog controls can be cool and good and stopped playing exclusively KB+M

stringless has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Nov 25, 2021

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

cinni posted:

JUST PICK THE THING AND BUY IT dear god I must be cursed with shopping efficiency cause I see what I want, grab it and buy it. In and out. Real simple.

poo poo or get off the pot!
This is my husband in restaurants. I still remember our very first visit to a Chipotle; I quickly scanned the menu and ordered something that looked good, then had to wait (along with everyone behind us in a growing line) a ridiculous amount of time while he determined precisely which combination of menu items would, apparently, defuse the nuclear warhead under the White House. And he's not even a picky eater! No food allergies! It's a loving Chipotle!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

This is my husband in restaurants. I still remember our very first visit to a Chipotle; I quickly scanned the menu and ordered something that looked good, then had to wait (along with everyone behind us in a growing line) a ridiculous amount of time while he determined precisely which combination of menu items would, apparently, defuse the nuclear warhead under the White House. And he's not even a picky eater! No food allergies! It's a loving Chipotle!
I feel like everyone except me is like this. Every time I'm at a restaurant with other people, I scan the menu, decide on something, and then wait four hours for everyone else to make the life-or-death decision of what to eat.

"It all sounds so good!" I know. It's a restaurant. Selling food people will like is their whole deal. Just pick something and don't worry about whether it's the best possible thing. You can come back another time. Or not. It doesn't matter. Let's loving eat!

And when the waiter comes around for drink orders? Yeah, I knew they were going to do that because I've been to a restaurant before, so I looked at the drinks first and picked something. Why are you all just now looking at the drinks menu like as though it's a new experience for you?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Hirayuki posted:

I still remember our very first visit to a Chipotle

At least you are not married to a person that calls it "chipolty"",

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Knowing that people are waiting for me to finish doing something makes me really anxious so I look up menus ahead of time so I already know what I want :negative:

peeve: my broken loving BRAIN :shepface:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

In the same realm as taking forever to order, I hate it when someone doesn't know what they want the first time the waiter comes around, so the waiter disappears to another dimension for the better part of an hour.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People who open a door and then stand there with it open for like 30 seconds and are shocked, SHOCKED, when an animal runs in or out

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

HOLY gently caress posted:

Knowing that people are waiting for me to finish doing something makes me really anxious so I look up menus ahead of time so I already know what I want :negative:

peeve: my broken loving BRAIN :shepface:

Same, plus it makes your meal choice so much better when you've been looking forward to it for hours rather than just a few minutes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Them: how do you do X?

Me: Step 1, step 2, step 3

Them:. Awesome. So (opposite of step 1) to start

Me:. No

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

No, thank Christ for small favors.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Same, plus it makes your meal choice so much better when you've been looking forward to it for hours rather than just a few minutes.
:same: But I send my husband menus beforehand and he still shilly-shallies when we get to the restaurant.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Nov 26, 2021

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I am one of the indecisive assholes however this problem was largely fixed by switching to vegetarianism where in many cases the choice is made for you bc there's only one option on the menu

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shilly-shallies?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dip Viscous posted:

Pronounce it CHIH-poot-lee so it rhymes with Shipoopi, sing it to the tune of Shipoopi, never get forced to go to Chipotle again.

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.
When someone says something like "Of course people are horrible to each other online because Internet." That's not how I was taught to use the word "because."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Amusingly, that's because internet too

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
"Help I can't log into my account"

"Okay, well it shows here that the email address you gave currently isn't tied to an account, do you have any other email addresses?"

"No, I've only ever had just this one."

[15 minutes of troubleshooting and "you're sure you don't have any others?... really, really sure?"s later]

"Oh, well, I do have this email address I only use for bills, but it's definitely not that one."

IT'S ALWAYS THAT ONE

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh, like the people who finally use the credit card they "never use" when cashing out, after trying all the rest and getting denied. My favorite part of cashiering.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I prefer people who have like 3 cards which they just cycle through repeatedly until the cashier tells them to gently caress off

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Back when I had to man the till I loving loathed the people who would go 'oh yeah I just need to transfer money to my card.' then start fiddling with their phone/netbank to transfer money over to it to pay.
Bonus points when they were loving rude enough to go 'no no no, wait a sec, I'm almost done.' when you tried to help a different customer instead of waiting around like an idiot.
God forbid they might have to wait a tiny bit to wrap things up after bringing the queue to a loving standstill.

Apart from that, cyclists with blinky lights. They're incredibly obnoxious.
If it's just the back light or whatever it's fine. But having a strong front-light that's constantly strobing is just the worst.
(One of them rode behind me most of the way back home today.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Shilly-shallies?
You learned a handy new word today! :buddy: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shilly-shally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Them: how do you do X?

Me: Step 1, step 2, step 3

Them:. Awesome. So (opposite of step 1) to start

Me:. No

Years ago I used to work at a convenience store. People would come in asking for directions (again, many years ago):

Them: How do you get to the [place] from here?

Me: Well, you take a LEFT out of our parking lot and then... blah blah blah...

Them: LEFT out of here and then blah blah blah?

Me: You got it. Want me to write that down?

Them: Nah, thanks. [They leave, I watch them IMMEDIATELY take a RIGHT out of the parking lot]

I watched this happen SO MANY TIMES. :negative: