Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

keep punching joe posted:

someone start a tattle life praxis cast thread.

Rob is the most chaotic d&d player you've ever seen. Straight up wants to murder people he thinks looked at him funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Loooooolll

Audible sale by best sellers

Books about Churchill x 5
Eddie Izzard x 3

And right at the arse end…
Peter Hitchens bitching that THEY won’t let you talk about Churchill anymore

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

Peter Hitchens bitching that THEY won’t let you talk about Churchill anymore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPNZTtoQBmA

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1463807618695241735

Shamelessly posting my own tweet here because it demonstrates what I was talking about when there were all those pearl-clutching headlines about overcrowding at Canning Town station during lockdown. The people there - and anyone commuting in via Stratford, also on the Jubilee Line and where you'd change if coming in by bus from the cheapest suburbs in the A11/A12 hinterland - had absolutely no choice *but* to be there, because they have the shittiest jobs and the smallest safety nets.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

serious gaylord posted:

Yep, i give them meter readings every month since you can just type it into the app. Overzealous is an understatement. I can afford a 20% increase but a lot of people might not be able to.

Fair enough. I don't know much about the SSE side of things but if you're on a fixed rate and you're in credit there's no need to increase payments, although as people use more over winter their credit usually decreases. If you can get in touch with them you'll most likely be able to keep the same payment, I don't see why not.

Most of the energy companies that have gone under recently only came about because of changes ofgem made to the industry around 5 years ago to increase competition in the market. Turns out they didn't do it in a good way because then hundreds of smaller companies popped up offering ridiculously low fixed rate contracts just so they could get as many customers as possible, but not having any long-term strategy and just sticking their heads in the sand when warned about potential wholesale price increases. OVO has been very steadily growing for a while before that, and is in a very safe position so nothing to worry about there.

Edit: with all that said it's so dumb having private energy companies

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

fuctifino posted:

Just fax yourself.

You wouldn't download a goon...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angrymog posted:

You wouldn't download a goon...

Nobody has that much bandwidth.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

This is probably a question best answered by Goddamtwisto - a friend is considering buying property on the Isle of Dogs - how likely is he to be literally underwater in 20 years?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/25/hmrc-to-relocate-to-newcastle-office-owned-by-tory-donors-via-tax-haven

quote:

HM Revenue and Customs has struck a deal to relocate tax officials into a new office complex in Newcastle owned by major Conservative party donors through an offshore company based in a tax haven, the Guardian can reveal.

The department’s planned new home in the north-east of England is part of a regeneration scheme developed by a British Virgin Islands (BVI) entity controlled by the billionaire property tycoons David and Simon Reuben.

The deal will see officials at the government department responsible for preventing tax avoidance working from a site owned by a subsidiary of a company based in a secretive offshore tax jurisdiction.

Honestly, it's funny because it's so blatant at this point.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Why not just relocate HMRC to the caymans

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Miftan posted:

Rob is the most chaotic d&d player you've ever seen. Straight up wants to murder people he thinks looked at him funny.
I'm not sure how this is different from anyone else in debate & discussion.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

This is probably a question best answered by Goddamtwisto - a friend is considering buying property on the Isle of Dogs - how likely is he to be literally underwater in 20 years?

Weirdly I answered this exact question ITT a few days ago - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983609&userid=72403&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post519445774

TLDR - extremely not-likely at least as far as the Thames goes. Now the chances of drowning in your new-build because of a completely catastrophic pipe failure or the most spectacular condensation problem ever are a bit higher, but no higher than anywhere else in the UK with our dogshit standards for new construction that aren't even close to being met in the mad rush to throw poo poo up for ROI.

(Metaphorically underwater, as the Americans use the term though - basically 100% because the bubble has to burst eventually when people realise they're paying yacht money to live in a 3-box with a commanding view of the completely identical "luxury" flats opposite)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Weirdly I answered this exact question ITT a few days ago - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983609&userid=72403&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post519445774

TLDR - extremely not-likely at least as far as the Thames goes. Now the chances of drowning in your new-build because of a completely catastrophic pipe failure or the most spectacular condensation problem ever are a bit higher, but no higher than anywhere else in the UK with our dogshit standards for new construction that aren't even close to being met in the mad rush to throw poo poo up for ROI.

Reading this I was very confused what Ireland has to do with anything.

In my defence they do have a housing crisis too.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
e- nvm.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 25, 2021

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Weirdly I answered this exact question ITT a few days ago -

Thank you

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jippa posted:

I just read this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-59400433

A couple who were killed in their home as their children were asleep upstairs may have been involved in rows over parking, residents said.

Jennifer and Stephen Chapple died at their home in Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset, at 21:45 BST on Sunday.

Residents described the couple as "very friendly" and said although it was a quiet neighbourhood, there had been disagreements over parking.

Two men, aged 34 and 67, were arrested on suspicion of murder.

Yes this story is what started the conversation.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Ah for gods sake she’s still on this. Diane I thought you knew your stuff :/

https://twitter.com/hackneyabbott/status/1463812353238130688?s=21

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Yes this story is what started the conversation.

Whoops.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I can't believe it's still Tuesday

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1463783154842546179

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

cool cool

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Some pro thread-reading on display today.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Perfect Element posted:

Some pro thread-reading on display today.

You read threads like a professional, therefore you're fit for work.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Noxville posted:

Ah for gods sake she’s still on this. Diane I thought you knew your stuff :/

https://twitter.com/hackneyabbott/status/1463812353238130688?s=21

I have a few friends who used to be successful sex workers, and the biggest risks they talked about were due to the fact that sex work wasn't normalised. None of them were coerced into it, nor were any of them pimped out. One was able to retire after a year of being a personal consort for a rich Kuwaiti businessman, which isn't something most people are able to do in their 20's. Another friend made the choice to work 3-4 hours a week as a sex worker instead of 40 hours a week in a supermarket, and it was a choice she made for a few months until something better came along.

Surely courses where all of this can be talked about openly and without stigma is a good thing?.....

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also calling support services where students who are currently engaged in any form of sex work can access harm reduction and open discussion "sex work sessions" is about as disingenuous as the Family Party types who call teaching condom use "sodomy lessons" and so on.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

So you're telling me Durham *doesn't* offer modules in fuckonomics and pimpology? drat, better fix my UCAS form.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

fuctifino posted:

I have a few friends who used to be successful sex workers, and the biggest risks they talked about were due to the fact that sex work wasn't normalised. None of them were coerced into it, nor were any of them pimped out. One was able to retire after a year of being a personal consort for a rich Kuwaiti businessman, which isn't something most people are able to do in their 20's. Another friend made the choice to work 3-4 hours a week as a sex worker instead of 40 hours a week in a supermarket, and it was a choice she made for a few months until something better came along.

Surely courses where all of this can be talked about openly and without stigma is a good thing?.....

Does she still have his number?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Hah, we got a full hour for Trangener Lunch.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
TFW you can't get the bus because you're a Bynar and it's the Non Bynar Bus running

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

No, no - we prefer our queers to be literate.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Shamelessly posting my own tweet here because it demonstrates what I was talking about when there were all those pearl-clutching headlines about overcrowding at Canning Town station during lockdown. The people there - and anyone commuting in via Stratford, also on the Jubilee Line and where you'd change if coming in by bus from the cheapest suburbs in the A11/A12 hinterland - had absolutely no choice *but* to be there, because they have the shittiest jobs and the smallest safety nets.

I mean, I work(ed) in an office for a quite well paid job and Stratford is a metropolis to me as a former Barkingite and now Forest Gate-doer.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Jedit posted:

Nobody has that much bandwidth.

Not enough fibre to the home.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Failed Imagineer posted:

TFW you can't get the bus because you're a Bynar and it's the Non Bynar Bus running

I like the symmetry of the two Bynars and the two Picards.

Yes, I know it's Orfil Quinteros, and I hate myself for it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The non-binary bus is a problem? I prefer living in a city with 23 DIFFERENT BUS ROUTES!!, thanks all the same.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

I mean, I work(ed) in an office for a quite well paid job and Stratford is a metropolis to me as a former Barkingite and now Forest Gate-doer.

Yeah, but you're not having to go in any more but my mate who also lives in Forest Gate had to come in all through the lockdown to guard the empty offices of Canary Wharf.

Also judging by the queues it's possible that at least a million or two of those journeys to and from Stratford were people going to try out the Wendy's on the Broadway - it's loving good, by the way, best price/taste ratio for a burger I've ever had.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, but you're not having to go in any more but my mate who also lives in Forest Gate had to come in all through the lockdown to guard the empty offices of Canary Wharf.

Also judging by the queues it's possible that at least a million or two of those journeys to and from Stratford were people going to try out the Wendy's on the Broadway - it's loving good, by the way, best price/taste ratio for a burger I've ever had.

Oh poo poo I didn't realise there was one in Stratford. It's replaced the lovely little Pizza Hut too by the looks of Google maps. :dance:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

To be fair to Trek, they've done a few episodes trying to confront gender stuff, they just usually chicken out at the last minute. Like the episode where Riker fucks the andro alien, and in the first half of the episode keeps saying "I cannot stress how much I am down to clown with anyone."

Then at the last minute they cast a very feminine actress and had her decide she wanted to be female. And then her society mindwipe her and the best Picard can manage is "Ah nevertheless, the Prime Directive aka the interstellar rules-based order must prevail."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bobby Deluxe posted:

To be fair to Trek, they've done a few episodes trying to confront gender stuff, they just usually chicken out at the last minute. Like the episode where Riker fucks the andro alien, and in the first half of the episode keeps saying "I cannot stress how much I am down to clown with anyone."

Then at the last minute they cast a very feminine actress and had her decide she wanted to be female. And then her society mindwipe her and the best Picard can manage is "Ah nevertheless, the Prime Directive aka the interstellar rules-based order must prevail."

Frakes specifically pushed hard for a male actor, 'cause he owns, but Berman gonna Berman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Jedit posted:

The non-binary bus is a problem? I prefer living in a city with 23 DIFFERENT BUS ROUTES!!, thanks all the same.

I suppose a binary bus would just be a taxi?