Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

cruft posted:

Reducing the amperage will probably do the trick. Multiply the breaker amperage by 80% for the best bet on what to dial in.

My guess is they don't have a 50A breaker on there like they should.

Well, I installed it this summer. New 50AMP breaker, wire, plug, conduit.
Bad news: It tripped again.
Good news: I fixed it.
Pulled the panel cover and found one conductor loose in the breaker. Further investigation found the "loop" that the wire is compressed against was cracked. Quick trip into the closest town and one new breaker later, were back in business. Looking at the broken piece, there's a distinct line between shiny and dull, with the dull making up for more than 80% of the surface. Either a defect or I wrenched down on it too hard. I've installed hundreds of breakers over the years and never had this happen, so I would like to think it's not a result of over tightening and more likely a defect. (I'm also questioning if this was a return, Home Depot does not mark their restocked items and it was the only breaker left in that size sitting on the shelf "near" the right box.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

Yeah. I have to wonder if the dealership went off and designed these themselves, in which case, you know, good job, it looks great for something you did in your garage, and I'm sorry Ford HQ has been screaming at you to remove these ASAP for the last two hours.

E: oh... oh no :ohdear:

Actually, this Lincoln one looks a lot better than the previously-posted Ford one.

E2: Oh no. It's not just that dealership.

I can't help but notice that those charger holes are the brand logos, at least the Lincoln one is.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MRC48B posted:

its a speed hole.

cross promotion with Dyson bladeless fans

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

cross promotion with Dyson bladeless fans

Yeah it's this. Not exactly this, but it's basically just modern luxury consumer goods design.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

the spyder posted:

Well, I installed it this summer. New 50AMP breaker, wire, plug, conduit.
Bad news: It tripped again.
Good news: I fixed it.
Pulled the panel cover and found one conductor loose in the breaker. Further investigation found the "loop" that the wire is compressed against was cracked. Quick trip into the closest town and one new breaker later, were back in business. Looking at the broken piece, there's a distinct line between shiny and dull, with the dull making up for more than 80% of the surface. Either a defect or I wrenched down on it too hard. I've installed hundreds of breakers over the years and never had this happen, so I would like to think it's not a result of over tightening and more likely a defect. (I'm also questioning if this was a return, Home Depot does not mark their restocked items and it was the only breaker left in that size sitting on the shelf "near" the right box.)

Nice work. I guess I didn't need to advise you on how home wiring works, heh.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah it's this. Not exactly this, but it's basically just modern luxury consumer goods design.

The modern luxury consumer glory hole.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jimong5 posted:

I can't help but notice that those charger holes are the brand logos, at least the Lincoln one is.

Well the Ford one has a blue oval in the middle so I think you’re on to something.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
EV charging points are getting a push in the UK next year - all new homes built and all new business buildings will have to have EV charge points, and any substantial renovations to businesses with 10+ parking spaces will be required to add EV charging points. I'm sure theres plenty of fine print (e.g. houses with only on-street parking) but its a step in the right direction.

With homes I wouldn't be amazed if it was really just a requirement to put the wiring in place for an EV charger, but even that is a good step.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Baconroll posted:

EV charging points are getting a push in the UK next year - all new homes built and all new business buildings will have to have EV charge points, and any substantial renovations to businesses with 10+ parking spaces will be required to add EV charging points. I'm sure theres plenty of fine print (e.g. houses with only on-street parking) but its a step in the right direction.

With homes I wouldn't be amazed if it was really just a requirement to put the wiring in place for an EV charger, but even that is a good step.

Hopefully on the residential side it's just a requirement for an accessible high amperage plug in the garage or near parking similar to the NA 14-50 nema outlet, given that all EVs come with their own EVSE that can make use of it already. It would seem silly to me to force homeowners to buy actual EVSEs to install, given that it would just arbitrarily limit what you can do with the wiring.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Warrior Princess posted:

Hopefully on the residential side it's just a requirement for an accessible high amperage plug in the garage or near parking similar to the NA 14-50 nema outlet, given that all EVs come with their own EVSE that can make use of it already. It would seem silly to me to force homeowners to buy actual EVSEs to install, given that it would just arbitrarily limit what you can do with the wiring.

You would think that would be the requirement, however i cant find anywhere that clarifies it, and don’t have any faith in legislation writers to have any clue what they are writing about so who knows.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
DP.

In similar news, with my coworkers new rav4 prime we looked into CT state incentives and lo and behold, starting Jan 2022 it looks like our energy companies will be required by the state to provide rebates up to 500$ for a residential charge point and cover 80% of wiring upgrade costs up to $2000, so now my buddy is super stoked. Supposedly comes with the caveat that the charger needs to be “smart” so it can report kwh draw to the utility, but only because the state is going to require the utility to charge less for those kws.

That’s pretty awesome since CT has like the highest electricity rates in the country or something.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Has anyone else read anything about the Nissan Ariya, which is supposed to hit dealers next year? It looks like it could be a respectable alternative to the Model Y.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

Has anyone else read anything about the Nissan Ariya, which is supposed to hit dealers next year? It looks like it could be a respectable alternative to the Model Y.

It was pretty hyped when it was announced, but after that it seems to have been overshadowed by stuff that was announced later and launched earlier with better specs.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I made a critical error talking about my EV at thanksgiving

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

kitten emergency posted:

lmao

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kitten emergency posted:

Haha! You're fighting the good fight, get back in there!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

what happened?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

kitten emergency posted:

Err, what?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

kitten emergency posted:

Did you get called a libtard, or did someone suggest Elon for president?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

borkencode posted:

They’ve been pressganged into giving everybody 0-60 stoplight drag starts after dinner and they’re rightly afraid of getting vomit in their new Mach E

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

borkencode posted:

Related, with my coworkers car. As we were all oohing and aahing it at the shop one of the more conservativly tilted coworker made a quip about driving around powered by coal. I quipped back about putting solar panels on the roof to charge it, said he could even get away with never paying gas tax or utility bill extras again. It was like a light bulb went on in his head and suddenly he was just as interested as everyone else. Was pretty humorous to watch.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

They’ve been pressganged into giving everybody 0-60 stoplight drag starts after dinner and they’re rightly afraid of getting vomit in their new Mach E

My dad deffo wants this but I didn’t drive down here so he’ll have to wait until he visits. His brother is boomer facebook poisoned and started ranting about California requiring electric trucks in three years (???)

dude lives in Arkansas, idk what the gently caress he cares

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

My dad deffo wants this but I didn’t drive down here so he’ll have to wait until he visits. His brother is boomer facebook poisoned and started ranting about California requiring electric trucks in three years (???)

dude lives in Arkansas, idk what the gently caress he cares

guess you need to get a Rivian or an F150 Lightning to clown on your dad’s brother now 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"Ok, who prefers white meat, who prefers dark meat? I will serve your preference in order of CO2 g/mile."

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

guess you need to get a Rivian or an F150 Lightning to clown on your dad’s brother now 🤷🏻‍♂️

honestly I kinda want a rivian… maybe next time

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

honestly I kinda want a rivian… maybe next time

sell the MachE to Carvana for ~$10k over MSRP

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

idk if I can put a car seat in the Rivian though

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Related, with my coworkers car. As we were all oohing and aahing it at the shop one of the more conservativly tilted coworker made a quip about driving around powered by coal. I quipped back about putting solar panels on the roof to charge it, said he could even get away with never paying gas tax or utility bill extras again. It was like a light bulb went on in his head and suddenly he was just as interested as everyone else. Was pretty humorous to watch.

Nice! This was a pro thanksgiving move, 100 peacekeeping points!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kitten emergency posted:

idk if I can put a car seat in the Rivian though

You don't know whether you can put a car seat in a pointless lifestyle truck for people that have to compensate for something? lmao

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

You don't know whether you can put a car seat in a pointless lifestyle truck for people that have to compensate for something? lmao

hey hey hey, whoa now—pretty much all trucks are pointless lifestyle trucks

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Fame Douglas posted:

Can you get a hair shirt to match your interior? Do they sell a slow, micro hatch ev with no options other than the "flagellate" button?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

holy poo poo I looked up my Leaf on Carvana just for funsies and the rough equivalents of mine are selling for $1k more than I paid for mine before rebates lmfao. drat, car market

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Citizen Z posted:

Can you get a hair shirt to match your interior? Do they sell a slow, micro hatch ev with no options other than the "flagellate" button?

Ah, the Fig Leaf

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kitten emergency posted:

you monster!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
So I ordered the Model 3.

And now, two days later I realized I can’t find anywhere mentioning an emergency rear door release. I swear it had one

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

And now, two days later I realized I can’t find anywhere mentioning an emergency rear door release. I swear it had one

It doesn’t.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Only put lower value passengers in the back like mothers in law and least favored children.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bird with big dick posted:

Only put lower value passengers in the back like mothers in law and least favored children.

The smallest ones go in the frunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

670 miles on EV driving, slowly getting the hang of this.

I suppose a lot of the things I’m impressed with may just be modern stuff but it’s all new to me.

1) the wipers only spray on the upstroke, and the nozzles are heated and mounted on the wiper arms.
Very efficient use of Windsheild fluid, and no drips after a quick use, no extra swipe at the end to get rid of drips.

2) having the car warmed and ready to go on a timer is very nice.

3) headlight ducking and corner lighting is cool

4) plugging in at home with 110v is mighty convenient

5) google assistant is fairly useful

6) google/iPhone is neat, when I walk out near the car my phone map pops up with routes to where I might be driving

Things that are not cool:
1) the touch sensitive door handles are locking and unlocking while I wash the car with either power washer and sponge

2) the hatchback does not shut when locking doors

3) google is not happy when 4G connection is iffy.

4) car will not consistently be able to deal with text messages,
Sometimes it will read them and let me write new ones, sometimes it complains about settings not being enabled.

5)car will not consistently recognize driver via PAK or fob, and you have to change driver profiles manually

6) selecting the radio/Spotify/etc to play media, does not “play”, it only selects the app, and you have to press play.