Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Last Celebration posted:

Also it’d be pretty cool if Gau had normal attack power and could just use claws, idk what they were thinking when they decided he should just be a monk complete with falling off hard because his weapons don’t scale late game.

Gau's generally the first character I have that can hit the damage cap, with Catscratch. Let alone the other broken stuff he can do which mostly rely on his decent magic stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is Fantasian any good? And by good I mean “like a final fantasy”

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is the deal with Gau having a yellow or red face when he rages?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
He doesn't change colour unless he gets a status effect. He gets an effect where bubbles or steam or something is rising off of him when he rages, which I think is shared with the berserk ailment (which does have a colour change), but that's about it.

Unless one of his rages comes with a berserk effect. Not sure why that would happen but it's FF6 so who knows.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Xad posted:

The Last Story, wii game co-written and directed by sakaguchi

It’s this, with music by Uematsu. It’s literally an FF game with the serial numbers filed off.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

God, these reviews of Bravely Default 2 with milquetoast endorsements are telling me to wait until it hits a Steam sale. Thanks for the feedback, y'all.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xad posted:

The Last Story, wii game co-written and directed by sakaguchi

HD DAD posted:

It’s this, with music by Uematsu. It’s literally an FF game with the serial numbers filed off.

Blue Dragon was also written by Sakaguchi with a score by Uematsu so throw that in there, too.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

NikkolasKing posted:

Blue Dragon was also written by Sakaguchi with a score by Uematsu so throw that in there, too.

But who the gently caress was responsible for this?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtpAzbEnc8

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Prowler posted:

God, these reviews of Bravely Default 2 with milquetoast endorsements are telling me to wait until it hits a Steam sale. Thanks for the feedback, y'all.

You’ll enjoy Bravely Default a lot, lot more than BD2 or Bravely Second. You’ll enjoy Bravely Second a lot, lot more if you play Bravely Default 1. But I think someone won’t enjoy Bravely Second much if they didn’t play Bravely Default.

No matter what, however, Bravely Default 2 will be a solid B-.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Jesus Christ the guy from Deep Purple sang this

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Chillgamesh posted:

Jesus Christ the guy from Deep Purple sang this

There was also a really wretched tie-in manga that barely seemed to have anything to do with the game that I bought because the Death Note guy drew it.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah but it also has art by toriyama so it's some weird combo of dragon quest and ff with the serial numbers filed off

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lost Odyssey is very Final Fantasy to me precisely because it bucks series conventions a bit more than Bravely Default or Blue Dragon. Final Fantasy is always different, after all.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

A god damned genius.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Lost Odyssey was one of the better late period FF games imo. I wouldn't put it above 12 but absolutely slots in somewhere before 13 and 15.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would put LO well above 12 and 15 and probably on par with 13 if just because it has a combat system that owns and feels like a finished game.

However LO is actually Shadow Hearts 4, not a Final Fantasy game.

Bravely Default is Final Fantasy V The Series.
The Last Story is Final Fantasy Around 9 But Less Nostalgic.
Kingdom Hearts is Final Fantasy 8 On loving Acid.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Prowler posted:

I got it on Switch back when Amazon was doing those $15 coupons for Prime members and it happened to be on sale at the time, so my final price was like $15.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

What game feels most like an FF title with the trademark removed?

Lost Odyssey.

Professor Beetus posted:

Lost Odyssey was one of the better late period FF games imo. I wouldn't put it above 12 but absolutely slots in somewhere before 13 and 15.

Lost Odyssey is far and away better than ffxii was.

Blue Dragon Quest is fun but it doesn’t feel anything like a FF game.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

A killer change for 6PR would be to let Mog and Gau be controllable after unleashing their ability.

T Edition does this (Mog’s Dances only last one turn and Gau can be deraged using the Unicorn esper).

T Edition also lets Gau equip weapons and learn rages anywhere.

T Edition is also pretty damned difficult! I’m having a good time with it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jokes posted:

Is Fantasian any good? And by good I mean “like a final fantasy”

Short Answer: No

Long Answer: The 7th Guest and I both played through the game at the same time and its perplexingly bad. It is bad in a way that is carefully, handcraftingly and lovingly designed to be bad and its all the more infuriating because it hides its true nature behind about 40% of the games total content. It is a strange game where I absolutely hope it was a success but that the lead designers and producers don't get invited back for the sequel.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

bobfather posted:

T Edition does this (Mog’s Dances only last one turn and Gau can be deraged using the Unicorn esper).

T Edition also lets Gau equip weapons and learn rages anywhere.

T Edition is also pretty damned difficult! I’m having a good time with it.

This sounds like both a fun mod to play through as someone that has played a poo poo ton of FF6 and FF6 mods, but also a mod that I just don't have the patience for at my advanced mid thirties age.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like that Sabin is a MUSCLE MONK but he actually works best with magic. He's pretty much a fist wizard.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ApplesandOranges posted:

I like that Sabin is a MUSCLE MONK but he actually works best with magic. He's pretty much a fist wizard.

Ah, like Ryu.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
OK I hit a wall in FF5. Twintania. gently caress this boss.

I scanned him and he's weak to Holy so I bonk him with Excalibur and cast Holy on him which does 9999 except that apparently he always counters Holy with Mega Flare twice and wipes my party before they get to act again. What the gently caress. I equipped Coral Rings and Flame Rings but I only have 2 of each so 2 people always die but even when I'm just hitting him with Excalibur eventually he does Giga Flare before I can kill him and wipes me. What the gently caress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK I hit a wall in FF5. Twintania. gently caress this boss.

I scanned him and he's weak to Holy so I bonk him with Excalibur and cast Holy on him which does 9999 except that apparently he always counters Holy with Mega Flare twice and wipes my party before they get to act again. What the gently caress. I equipped Coral Rings and Flame Rings but I only have 2 of each so 2 people always die but even when I'm just hitting him with Excalibur eventually he does Giga Flare before I can kill him and wipes me. What the gently caress.

If throwing money at it or reflecting its own spells into its big stupid face isn't an option, you can also just stall until it goes into gigaflare mode and then spam odin and other instant death moves on it.

Note: all mu advice for the game is going to hinge on throwing money at it because by god did I rely on samurai

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Twintania’s Gigaflare charge is a huge debuff according to the wiki. So huge that it makes them vulnerable to instant death (Odin) and Petrify (!Spellblade) among others, along with reducing their ailment evasion.

Edit: efb

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The information is in-game, in the library room of the final dungeon castle.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also Twin's first form has a chance of throwing nasty counters, so it's best to just wait in the first form and stay healed until the "Charging for Mega Flare!" prompt comes up, then kill Twin with your instant death option of choice.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Arist posted:

Ashe is the main character.

really. cos ashe wasnt the main character even in the sequel, in which you play the same main character. :colbert:

(penelo obvis)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ManSedan posted:

I just wish Ashe didn’t have those awful pants.

I just wanna know what this pose is

Ashe is supposed to be the fiery, determined, revenge-crazed leader of the Resistance. Nothing about her outfit or this weird-rear end pose communicates any of that

zakharov posted:

Is Final Fantasy VIII good or bad

There is no "bad" numbered FF game that I've played.

But VIII is certainly the worst of these various good to great games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only bad numbered FF games are, in no particular order; I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, and presumably soon XVI

Mega64
May 23, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I just wanna know what this pose is

Ashe is supposed to be the fiery, determined, revenge-crazed leader of the Resistance. Nothing about her outfit or this weird-rear end pose communicates any of that

She's deciding whether to flay your skeleton out of your body while you're still alive or if she'll simply burn your skin off and see how long you'll stay conscious.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

gods.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats is the singer of Deep Purple, as well.

Blue Dragon is a messy, messy FFV inspired game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You just know Uematsu's entire career up to that point was a build up to make Eternity. Guy wears his prog influences on his sleeve.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Eternity loving rules, I love the part near end where it's just Ian Gillian screaming.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Eternity is not the problem with Blue Dragon, its a song for a much better game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

soon as i fix the fan sound on my 360 or get the later slim e model, im gonna play that loving game and listen to that soundtrack that owns.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Barudak posted:

Eternity is not the problem with Blue Dragon, its a song for a much better game.

I was just thinking how awesome it'd be if you replaced the boss music for the PR games with Eternity.

Luckily that's possible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

Yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI-xp68YlcU