Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1463525634919964672

armed driver intentionally hits someone else, later gets into a shootout with them and dies. speaking of platonic scams, here's the platonic ideal of an american story

i was going to say it's amazing that a pregnant woman - even one with terminal car brain - would instigate a pointless death battle like this, but looking at it from her perspective she was always the one wielding lethal force- in her car, where she could kill a motorcyclist with impunity, and then later with a gun, where she could stand her ground and murder someone. it just turns out the motorcyclist was a better shot

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

armed driver intentionally hits someone else, later gets into a shootout with them and dies. speaking of platonic scams, here's the platonic ideal of an american story

If he had miata this would not have happened

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

i was going to say it's amazing that a pregnant woman - even one with terminal car brain - would instigate a pointless death battle like this, but looking at it from her perspective she was always the one wielding lethal force- in her car, where she could kill a motorcyclist with impunity, and then later with a gun, where she could stand her ground and murder someone. it just turns out the motorcyclist was a better shot

This is like a lateral thinking puzzle for conservatives.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This is like a lateral thinking puzzle for conservatives.

lmao

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Filthy Hans posted:

Yeah clearly the issue here is that motorbikes are too dangerous as they can't handle a little attempted murder via road rage. The solution is to ban anything from being on the road that doesn't provide equivalent protection to an APC.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

MIATA

IS

ALWAYS

THE

ANSWER

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pregnant librarian with road rage is my new fetish.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

The point is not to be efficient it is to provide a separate private infrastructure system for rich people. This is the whole business model that's it.

How is any of this better than a helicopter?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Morbus posted:

How is any of this better than a helicopter?

If you have helicopter money you laugh at tesla people

But like even the helicopter people need a way to get from the airport to the strip or wherever without having to look at any icky homeless people. that is what they are selling

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Blackhawk posted:

Was there ever a definitive theory as to why the boring company actually exists again? Clearly it's not to replace millions of above-ground roads with millions of sewer tunnels, as far as I know the options are:

- Pure scam to bilk local governments out of money promising outlandish solutions, delivering garbage and pocketing the cash (e.g. las vegas). Also in support of keeping the Tesla bubble inflated by making personal vehicles seem feasible into the future when the road system is clearly in crisis.
- The actual plan is to make personal car tunnels for the mega-wealthy so that they can avoid ever having to deal with the collapsing road system and surface traffic consisting of poor people
- Drug smuggling tunnels under the US/Mexico border

"Hmm what is the actual, underlying rational reason for people investing in such a stupid idea" I ask, in a world where $5 billion has been spent on hyperlinks to poorly drawn cartoons of apes with funny hats.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

If you have helicopter money you laugh at tesla people

But like even the helicopter people need a way to get from the airport to the strip or wherever without having to look at any icky homeless people. that is what they are selling

That's what helipads are for. Anyway I don't think the boring co is actually selling any marketable luxury concept to rich people or w/e I think it's just Dahir Insaat but with Elon Musk branding.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Well yeah some people use helipads but in a city like Vegas there are like thousands of millionaires going in and out every day and it's not really practical for all of them to take helicopters everywhere all the time even if they could afford it. There is just not enough room or vehicles.

You're thinking about this logistically and in terms of numbers, stop doing that. It's not about anything related to efficiency. None of that matters at all.

It's about an exclusive and elite experience, where you don't have to interact with anyone who is poor. That's it. That's all it is.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Morbus posted:

"Hmm what is the actual, underlying rational reason for people investing in such a stupid idea" I ask, in a world where $5 billion has been spent on hyperlinks to poorly drawn cartoons of apes with funny hats.

Yeah but NFT's of disgusting monkeys makes sense when you consider it's just another form of gambling, like boring company might make sense if it was just for rich people to avoid proles or to siphon government money into elon's bank account. Neither thing makes any sense at face value and stated purpose, but in both cases a lot of people seem to pretend that they do.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

Well yeah some people use helipads but in a city like Vegas there are like thousands of millionaires going in and out every day and it's not really practical for all of them to take helicopters everywhere all the time even if they could afford it. There is just not enough room or vehicles.

You're thinking about this logistically and in terms of numbers, stop doing that. It's not about anything related to efficiency. None of that matters at all.

It's about an exclusive and elite experience, where you don't have to interact with anyone who is poor. That's it. That's all it is.

I saw an ad for Lexus on TV recently where they were advertising their future concepts for EV's and I had to laugh at the absurdity of it, and also wonder how much it had been influenced by Muskian thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKsqzqO4NHw

It starts with aerial views of a desert 90% covered in solar panels eerily similar to the start of Blade Runner 2049 but I assume not intentionally being a dystopia, the ad then displays a blocky almost cyber-truk style polygonal EV future car zooming into a huge tunnel going under a bay towards a futuristic city full of skyscrapers. The city itself is an idealised hyper-developed space dripping with hanging gardens, very 'elysium' like, there are also TV screens everywhere displaying images of nature which is again very Blade Runner dystopian... There are like zero other cars on the road the whole time of course, because traffic would get in the way of the ideal future. I can only surmise that in the ideal Lexus future some horrific global event has killed off 99% of Earth's population leaving only the mega-rich to whiz around in their perfect empty cities completely unironically like Blade Runner without the constant rain.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Blackhawk posted:

Yeah but NFT's of disgusting monkeys makes sense when you consider it's just another form of gambling, like boring company might make sense if it was just for rich people to avoid proles or to siphon government money into elon's bank account. Neither thing makes any sense at face value and stated purpose, but in both cases a lot of people seem to pretend that they do.

Investing in musk projects is a form of gambling and money laundering as well

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

bad guy stopped a bad guy with a gun and she was in the right because she had stand her ground, he was not standing his ground, if only he had his lawn next to hers

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1463300732849897475

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

“it’s not that bad they’re hoovering up the blood from an IV in my right arm. Hell, they used to do my left arm too, and I’m a leftie!”

it’s really sad either way and poor people tend to have longer commutes & often have more than one job they need to go to, potentially spaced very far apart.

yeah I mean I wish I didn't need a car but you know :911:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Americans are loving stupid.
https://twitter.com/Chopper4Brad/status/1463627998507196419?t=Zjx6dAWEPjD2mbjblE5zAQ&s=19

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Lmao even ignoring the traffic jam which is hilarious, look at all the space in that video devoted to cars. Like 95% of the surface area the camera sweeps over is devoted to moving or storing cars.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

people will never admit this is unsustainable until it collapses

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ArmZ posted:

people will never admit this is unsustainable until it collapses

Oh no, that will crush the hyperloop tho

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
was thinking yesterday that it would be nice to go back to the norm of travelling for the holidays being reprehensible

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

was thinking yesterday that it would be nice to go back to the norm of travelling for the holidays being reprehensible

speaking of, i actually got into 3 near misses thanks to the holiday rush in my town on tuesday. The commute alone I had to honk the horn 6 times in this commute, never has ever happened before.

one instance, I did a u-turn on a green, and this car came barreling onto the far right lane I was trying to enter from the u-turn on a left green signal. I'm still confused because he got all loving indignant at me, the light was loving green so his should have been loving red. The only reason I was out commuting was because I had an appointment that couldn't be missed, thanks society.

first day in a very long time that i had that was a insanely bad day and it was because i nearly got killed 3 times unironically from people cutting in illegally and clipping, and turned me into a ball of incandescent rage

gently caress cars

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a hopeful view of the future

https://i.imgur.com/fvdPrHS.mp4

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Blackhawk posted:

Was there ever a definitive theory as to why the boring company actually exists again?

When you are extremely wealthy to the point of absurdity, even your most childish and idiotic fantasies can be forced into the public spotlight, muting any possibility of alternatives that are far more sensible.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

just add more lanes

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

just add more lanes

but down as well as on the sides. I'm a genius

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hubbert posted:

When you are extremely wealthy to the point of absurdity, even your most childish and idiotic fantasies can be forced into the public spotlight, muting any possibility of alternatives that are far more sensible.

People are also desperate for a modern gold rush or new continent to colonize, but the physical world is already squeezed to the max, so it's all tech and digital bs.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
https://twitter.com/motorists/status/1463666289059282946?t=RtzWgVamRu95lcSz8cjQOg&s=19

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
My office is in one of the tallest buildings in the area and so a lot of pigeons roost there especially when it's cold those mother fuckers are crawling on the windows like ants but during 2020 most of the offices were closed so no one pressure washed the property so there was like a foot wide, half inch thick ring of pigeons poo poo around the building

It took a lot of tries but they finally blasted the poo poo off but there's still a brown toilet ring around the whole building

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm Big Bike

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Son of Man posted:

My office is in one of the tallest buildings in the area and so a lot of pigeons roost there especially when it's cold those mother fuckers are crawling on the windows like ants but during 2020 most of the offices were closed so no one pressure washed the property so there was like a foot wide, half inch thick ring of pigeons poo poo around the building

It took a lot of tries but they finally blasted the poo poo off but there's still a brown toilet ring around the whole building

:iiaca:

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
My bad I thought this was the pigeon poo poo thread

Thinking of trading my car for one of these bad boys, three cylinders of 4wd power. No one needs more than 65 mph anyway

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

even has the light bar all the chud wagons have recently too

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
gently caress cars. If I die in a car collision please thrown my body onto the freeway from an overpass

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Watching this guy's channel, he has some good things to say about ComBloc housing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eIxUuuJX7Y

Of course YouTube recommends a video by PragerU about the "war on cars."

Guess what, cars won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z8Tb7OA_F4

I like Adam Something better than Not Just Bikes because Not Just Bikes solution was to move to Amsterdam. Which most people in the US can totally do.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Moving is by far the most practical and realistic way for a North American to begin living in a humane city lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nitevision posted:

Moving is by far the most practical and realistic way for a North American to begin living in a humane city lol

To where exactly? Anywhere in the old continent is off because of climate unless you only care about the next, like, 5 years and nothing beyond that