Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

Shhh, you're not allowed to use a Democrat's previous words and actions against them if it makes them look bad. That's doxxing.

Care to show us where anybody here has said this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Clinton's third way neo lib poo poo was honestly the only way a Democrat would've been able to get elected in 1992. Also Ross Perot helped too. Had Perot not entered, HW Bush was likely to win a second term just off the popularity of Reagan and the quick win in the Gulf War. Clinton squeaked that victory out and proceeded to neolib the place to death

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Yeah, it's not something a lot of people noticed because it took years for average Americans to feel the effects, but NAFTA alone did a hell of a lot of damage. It absolutely wrecked a lot of rural farming communities in Mexico, which was supposedly the prime driver for the waves of Mexican immigrants we saw in the early 2000s that all the racist shitheads in the US are still freaking out about.

Also Clinton and the rest of the 90's democrats doing away with the protections that had been put in place to prevent another great depression from happening led pretty directly to other problems we're dealing with today.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

Who gives a gently caress if you think it's a tragedy or justified violence. Either way you don't want buildings on fire. People are so upset they're seeing buildings on fire. The majority recognize the anger is justified. Leadership of doing very little to resolve problems. Both sides should be putting pressure on them to solve the underlying problems instead of sniping.
Yeah for real.

When there is civil disorder and uprisings against state oppression in other countries, US media blames their governments (hmmm maybe we need to bring them some freedom)

When there's civil disorder and uprisings against state oppression in our country, US media blames the people. Why aren't they being polite? VOTE! etc

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Cranappleberry posted:

not even one of the ignorant people who asks "did Mookie do the right thing?" But surety that Mookie did the wrong thing in the movie Do the Right Thing.

(Mookie did the right thing)

Spike Lee still gets so (rightfully) pissed when he gets that question lol.

The title isn't a question, it's an imperative.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

Using Biden’s past actions and statements was basically verboten here during the campaign.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah for real.

When there is civil disorder and uprisings against state oppression in other countries, US media blames their governments (hmmm maybe we need to bring them some freedom)

When there's civil disorder and uprisings against state oppression in our country, US media blames the people. Why aren't they being polite? VOTE! etc

Doesn't look like that'll work out much longer, G.O.P. Cements Hold on Legislatures in Battleground States

quote:

Republicans are locking in newly gerrymandered maps for the legislatures in four battleground states that are set to secure the party’s control in the statehouse chambers over the next decade, fortifying the G.O.P. against even the most sweeping potential Democratic wave elections.

In Texas, North Carolina, Ohio and Georgia, Republican state lawmakers have either created supermajorities capable of overriding a governor’s veto or whittled down competitive districts so significantly that Republicans’ advantage is virtually impenetrable — leaving voters in narrowly divided states powerless to change the leadership of their legislatures.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

I really hope this isn't me becoming an accelerationist, but I'm less concerned about this news now that I've accepted that the alternative isn't going to save us. Living under republican misrule may help foster the kind of attitude needed to disrupt the lesser of two evils dilemma.

I know the democrats are "not as bad" and people suffer as a result of republican rule, but i think we should use whatever and whoever we can to take the power back. Nobody will accept that the tides are rising until their feet get wet (frustratingly).

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i just try to look at the bright side. if horrible things are sure to come, maybe they'll make more people realize we need to do something about it

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kith posted:

i just try to look at the bright side. if horrible things are sure to come, maybe they'll make more people realize we need to do something about it

Much as I'd like to believe that, the argument will probably just stay the same.

"You can't let the Republicans win, they'll keep drilling bigger holes in the boat! You HAVE to vote democrat because they'll compromise so that the Republicans only drill holes 80% as large as they originally wanted to, also Joe Manchin will block any efforts to let us have a teacup to try to scoop water out with. Stop letting perfect be the enemy of good though."

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

HonorableTB posted:

They are not in fact untouchable and the climate collapse will expose how vulnerable they are once the system starts failing severely enough that it doesn't protect them anymore due to a critical mass of people no longer able to or willing to buy into it. Give it 20-30 years at the most. The only reason they're considered untouchable now is because there aren't enough people desperate enough yet, but that won't take a long time to happen.

Oh they know what's coming for them. Here's an article I came across a while back that touches on what's going on in their heads and how laughably naive and unprepared they are.

quote:

Survival of the Richest

Douglas Rischcoff

Last year, I got invited to a super-deluxe private resort to deliver a keynote speech to what I assumed would be a hundred or so investment bankers. It was by far the largest fee I had ever been offered for a talk — about half my annual professor’s salary — all to deliver some insight on the subject of “the future of technology.”

I’ve never liked talking about the future. The Q&A sessions always end up more like parlor games, where I’m asked to opine on the latest technology buzzwords as if they were ticker symbols for potential investments: blockchain, 3D printing, CRISPR. The audiences are rarely interested in learning about these technologies or their potential impacts beyond the binary choice of whether or not to invest in them. But money talks, so I took the gig.

After I arrived, I was ushered into what I thought was the green room. But instead of being wired with a microphone or taken to a stage, I just sat there at a plain round table as my audience was brought to me: five super-wealthy guys — yes, all men — from the upper echelon of the hedge fund world. After a bit of small talk, I realized they had no interest in the information I had prepared about the future of technology. They had come with questions of their own.

They started out innocuously enough. Ethereum or bitcoin? Is quantum computing a real thing? Slowly but surely, however, they edged into their real topics of concern. Which region will be less impacted by the coming climate crisis: New Zealand or Alaska? Is Google really building Ray Kurzweil a home for his brain, and will his consciousness live through the transition, or will it die and be reborn as a whole new one? Finally, the CEO of a brokerage house explained that he had nearly completed building his own underground bunker system and asked, “How do I maintain authority over my security force after the event?”

The Event. That was their euphemism for the environmental collapse, social unrest, nuclear explosion, unstoppable virus, or Mr. Robot hack that takes everything down.

This single question occupied us for the rest of the hour. They knew armed guards would be required to protect their compounds from the angry mobs. But how would they pay the guards once money was worthless? What would stop the guards from choosing their own leader? The billionaires considered using special combination locks on the food supply that only they knew. Or making guards wear disciplinary collars of some kind in return for their survival. Or maybe building robots to serve as guards and workers — if that technology could be developed in time.

That’s when it hit me: At least as far as these gentlemen were concerned, this was a talk about the future of technology. Taking their cue from Elon Musk colonizing Mars, Peter Thiel reversing the aging process, or Sam Altman and Ray Kurzweil uploading their minds into supercomputers, they were preparing for a digital future that had a whole lot less to do with making the world a better place than it did with transcending the human condition altogether and insulating themselves from a very real and present danger of climate change, rising sea levels, mass migrations, global pandemics, nativist panic, and resource depletion. For them, the future of technology is really about just one thing: escape.

snip...

When the hedge funders asked me the best way to maintain authority over their security forces after “the event,” I suggested that their best bet would be to treat those people really well, right now. They should be engaging with their security staffs as if they were members of their own family. And the more they can expand this ethos of inclusivity to the rest of their business practices, supply chain management, sustainability efforts, and wealth distribution, the less chance there will be of an “event” in the first place. All this technological wizardry could be applied toward less romantic but entirely more collective interests right now.

They were amused by my optimism, but they didn’t really buy it. They were not interested in how to avoid a calamity; they’re convinced we are too far gone. For all their wealth and power, they don’t believe they can affect the future. They are simply accepting the darkest of all scenarios and then bringing whatever money and technology they can employ to insulate themselves — especially if they can’t get a seat on the rocket to Mars.

Luckily, those of us without the funding to consider disowning our own humanity have much better options available to us. We don’t have to use technology in such antisocial, atomizing ways. We can become the individual consumers and profiles that our devices and platforms want us to be, or we can remember that the truly evolved human doesn’t go it alone.

Being human is not about individual survival or escape. It’s a team sport. Whatever future humans have, it will be together.

The real shame of this isn't just their ignorance of how things are likely to play out, or even their sad attempts to escape the bed they made, or even their cartoonishly naive ideas for how they might maintain their house of straw in the world to come. The shame is that it didn't have to be this way.

The interesting thing about a lot of the Thiel/Musk/Zuckerberg types is their obsession with great people of history, people who stepped up in their society and were transformative, people who were visionaries and geniuses, who's contributions saved us from ourselves and pushed humanity to reach ever greater heights of development and progress. It's part of why they love Ayn Rand so much. The protagonists of her books are who they want to be. And they could've been. They could've used their wealth and resources to aid humanity in it's darkest hour. They had the opportunity to live out (at least as closely as they could in the real world) the fantasies they'd had while reading Atlas Shrugged or the biography of Marcus Aurelius. But they didn't.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Angry_Ed posted:

I can think of a specific example in GiP when I was told that bringing up Biden's actions from 1975 IRT Vietnamese refugees were too old an example to use against him. IDK what the cutoff is though.

Probably not when he and Chuck Grassley tried to freeze Federal benefits in the 80s, or how he treated Anita Hill. Is the Crime Bill too long ago?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kith posted:

Woah easy there, that sounds like accelerationism to me.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Kith posted:

I wonder about that. If current events are any indication, I assume the horrible things will either be politely ignored, or actively cheered on for when they happen to the "right" people. See: the current pandemic; the AIDS crisis, respectively.

Although there may be an opportunity in there somewhere for someone who can create a fake terrible thing to monetize with. Though that market might already be cornered by televangelists, now that I think about it...

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ershalim posted:

I wonder about that. If current events are any indication, I assume the horrible things will either be politely ignored, or actively cheered on for when they happen to the "right" people. See: the current pandemic; the AIDS crisis, respectively.

Although there may be an opportunity in there somewhere for someone who can create a fake terrible thing to monetize with. Though that market might already be cornered by televangelists, now that I think about it...

According to the Fox News commercials that are always playing at work, when the global economy crashes, silver will be the only thing worth anything and we should all be stocking up on that.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

the_steve posted:

According to the Fox News commercials that are always playing at work, when the global economy crashes, silver will be the only thing worth anything and we should all be stocking up on that.

I need to stock up on that and those doomsday prep canned soups with my reverse mortgage right away! Err.. I can reverse mortgage my student loans, right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
It used to be gold, now its silver. Can't wait till Fox is promoting Crude Oil as the next Apocalypse proof commodity

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Kyle Rittenhouse is exploring legal options to sue Joseph Biden for defamation.

quote:

"What did you make of the president of the United States calling you a white supremacist?" Rittenhouse was asked by Fox News host Tucker Carlson during a wide-ranging interview, a portion of which was aired on Monday evening.

"Mr. President, if I could say one thing to you, I would urge you to go back and watch the trial and understand the facts before you make a statement," Rittenhouse said.

Carlson pressed Rittenhouse to go on, saying "it's not a small thing to be called that."

"No," Rittenhouse responded. "It's actual malice, defaming my character, for him to say something like that."

quote:

"Intentional malice" and a disregard for truth is the legal standard required to convict someone of defamation.

quote:

Rittenhouse, during the interview with Carlson, maintained that his case "never had anything to do with race" and was instead about "the right to self-defense."

"I’m not a racist person. I support the BLM movement," Rittenhouse said. "I support peacefully demonstrating ... I believe there needs to be change. I believe there’s a lot of prosecutorial misconduct, not just in my case but in other cases. It’s just amazing to see how much a prosecutor can take advantage of someone."

"Like, if they did this to me, imagine what they could have done to a person of color who doesn't maybe have the resources I do or it's not widely publicized like my case," he said.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Rittenhouse's remarks about Biden.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1463195406511513605

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
If that was possible everyone would have sued Trump by now.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

the_steve posted:

Much as I'd like to believe that, the argument will probably just stay the same.

"You can't let the Republicans win, they'll keep drilling bigger holes in the boat! You HAVE to vote democrat because they'll compromise so that the Republicans only drill holes 80% as large as they originally wanted to, also Joe Manchin will block any efforts to let us have a teacup to try to scoop water out with. Stop letting perfect be the enemy of good though."

I feel like the reason this particular debate keeps coming up is mostly just due to disillusionment.

If you ignore the nuance of the situation then "the Dems control all three branches of government, why don't we have full communism now", might seem like a reasonable (if slightly hyperbolic to make a point) question. The Dems were elected to do certain things, why aren't they doing them? Well, perhaps because not every member of congress with a D next to their name votes in lockstep with AOC?

This is not some conspiracy where "the Dems secretly don't want to do good things." The reality is some of the Dems want what we perceive as good things, other Dems are lovely moderates, and that's the boring truth. There are too many lovely moderates in the party, and if you want the more progressive legislation to get through Congress, you need to make sure there are enough progressive Democrats in Congress so that legislation can't be blocked or watered down by any moderates.

What's the most analogous example of the kind of transformative legislation that we're basically looking for? The New Deal? And how much of the vote share did the Democrats have in Congress when the first and second New Deal were passed? Let's have a look:

73rd Congress (1933-1935):
Democrats: Senate: 62.5%, House: 72.4%
Republicans: Senate: 36.5%, House: 26.4%

74th Congress (1935-1937):
Democrats: Senate: 75% , House: 73.7%
Republicans: Senate: 22.9%, House: 23.9%

Interesting, how about Biden now?
117th Congress (2021-2023):
Democrats: Senate: 50%, House: 50.9%
Republicans: Senate: 50%, House: 49.1%

It's obviously not that simple of course, a lot has changed since then and there are a ton of other variables, including lobbying, and it should be clear by now that just having a D next to their name doesn't make a candidate a reliable vote for progressive legislation. Which takes us back to the need for primarying moderate Dems.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 26, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

LorneReams posted:

If that was possible everyone would have sued Trump by now.

There actually are still defamation lawsuits against Trump pending and the courts technically haven't ruled on the ability to sue a President for slander or defamation specifically. Clinton v. Jones has already established that a sitting President can be sued civilly while in office, though.

One of them was just withdrawn by an Apprentice Contestant two weeks ago, another one is still ongoing, and a third by Dominion Voting systems is still pending.

But, slander and defamation suits are (for better or worse) very difficult in general to successfully win in America and doubly impossible if the slander and defamation is directed at someone who is considered "a public figure," which is a description that basically everyone who is "defamed" by a sitting President would fit.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

-Blackadder- posted:

I feel like the reason this particular debate keeps coming up is mostly just due to disillusionment.

If you ignore the nuance of the situation then "the Dems control all three branches of government, why don't we have full communism now", might seem like a reasonable (if slightly hyperbolic to make a point) question. The Dems were elected to do certain things, why aren't they doing them? Well, perhaps because not every member of congress with a D next to their name votes in lockstep with AOC?

This is not some conspiracy where "the Dems secretly don't want to do good things." The reality is some of the Dems want what we perceive as good things, other Dems are lovely moderates, and that's the boring truth. There are too many lovely moderates in the party, and if you want the more progressive legislation to get through Congress, you need to make sure there are enough progressive Democrats in Congress so that legislation can't be blocked or watered down by any moderates.

What's the most analogous example of the kind of transformative legislation that we're basically looking for? The New Deal? And how much of the vote share did the Democrats have in Congress when the first and second New Deal were passed? Let's have a look:

73rd Congress (1933-1935):
Democrats: Senate: 62.5%, House: 72.4%
Republicans: Senate: 36.5%, House: 26.4%

74th Congress (1935-1937):
Democrats: Senate: 75% , House: 73.7%
Republicans: Senate: 22.9%, House: 23.9%

Interesting, how about Biden now?
74th Congress (2021-2023):
Democrats: Senate: 50%, House: 50.9%
Republicans: Senate: 50%, House: 49.1%

It's obviously not that simple of course, a lot has changed since then and there are a ton of other variables, including lobbying, and it should be clear by now that just having a D next to their name doesn't make a candidate a reliable vote for progressive legislation. Which takes us back to the need for primarying moderate Dems.

The problem there is that the party, largely speaking, has made it abundantly clear that they will do whatever they can to tip the scales for the lovely moderate over any sort of progressive.

Pelosi threatened to block funds to any progressive running against a lovely incumbent. Sure, she said it was supposed to apply across the board, but it never seemed to come up when a moderate was running against anyone even slightly left of them.
You had the Dems "considering" the idea of abolishing the position that a progressive had won the primary for over the lovely moderate, until they decided instead to change course and decide that sore loser laws no longer applied to their picks, and getting rid of the elected position was retconned to cloud talk once they thumbed the scales for their guy.

The "Democrats are not a monolith" is a really popular excuse for why good things just can't happen-gosh darn it- but the moderates in the party absolutely are a monolith, and they've proven they're just as bad at Republicans when it comes to changing the rules to make it virtually impossible to get those progressive candidates into place.

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021

-Blackadder- posted:

Oh they know what's coming for them. Here's an article I came across a while back that touches on what's going on in their heads and how laughably naive and unprepared they are.

The real shame of this isn't just their ignorance of how things are likely to play out, or even their sad attempts to escape the bed they made, or even their cartoonishly naive ideas for how they might maintain their house of straw in the world to come. The shame is that it didn't have to be this way.

The interesting thing about a lot of the Thiel/Musk/Zuckerberg types is their obsession with great people of history, people who stepped up in their society and were transformative, people who were visionaries and geniuses, who's contributions saved us from ourselves and pushed humanity to reach ever greater heights of development and progress. It's part of why they love Ayn Rand so much. The protagonists of her books are who they want to be. And they could've been. They could've used their wealth and resources to aid humanity in it's darkest hour. They had the opportunity to live out (at least as closely as they could in the real world) the fantasies they'd had while reading Atlas Shrugged or the biography of Marcus Aurelius. But they didn't.

I think the Zuckerberg/Theil/Musk/Bezos types don’t to use their wealth in way to aid humanity because they don’t have the same type of wealth as Carniege/Ford/JP Morgan.

Like JP Morgan was able to bail out the US government because of the cash he had on hand. For current crop of robber barons to do the same, they would have to sell a bunch of stock in their companies tank the stock price and their wealth.

Even Musk & Bezos, the only two whose companies produce or move real goods wealth is based on fictional stock prices. That are based on monopolistic fantasies of total control of the EV or Cloud Provider market spaces.

Marx was right in that capitalism traps the capitalists as much as it traps everyone else.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Politico is deeply concerned about the "alarming" news that ... too many people are employed and getting raises in Nebraska.

quote:

HELP WANTED — Nebraska set an alarming record this week: “Nebraska logged the lowest unemployment rate of any state on record in October, reflecting the acute labor shortages that have quickly swept across the nation amid an economic recovery that is without parallel,” WSJ’s Sarah Chaney Cambon reports. “Nebraska’s unemployment rate ticked down to 1.9% last month, well below the national jobless rate of 4.6% and the lowest for state records tracing back to 1976, Labor Department data show.”

It has driven up wages and made it difficult for employers to hire and expand.

https://www.politico.com/newsletter...001&nlid=630318

the_steve posted:

The problem there is that the party, largely speaking, has made it abundantly clear that they will do whatever they can to tip the scales for the lovely moderate over any sort of progressive.

Pelosi threatened to block funds to any progressive running against a lovely incumbent. Sure, she said it was supposed to apply across the board, but it never seemed to come up when a moderate was running against anyone even slightly left of them.

What progressive incumbent was primaried by a moderate supported by the DCCC?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

GrunkleStalin posted:

I think the Zuckerberg/Theil/Musk/Bezos types don’t to use their wealth in way to aid humanity because they don’t have the same type of wealth as Carniege/Ford/JP Morgan.

Like JP Morgan was able to bail out the US government because of the cash he had on hand. For current crop of robber barons to do the same, they would have to sell a bunch of stock in their companies tank the stock price and their wealth.

Even Musk & Bezos, the only two whose companies produce or move real goods wealth is based on fictional stock prices. That are based on monopolistic fantasies of total control of the EV or Cloud Provider market spaces.

Marx was right in that capitalism traps the capitalists as much as it traps everyone else.

I assume they wouldn't even if they could, but ignoring that, even if they did try to sell all of their stocks I don't think there's enough extant money in existence for them to actually "have" what they "own." I think you're spot on about how their wealth is more or less fictional. In theory there's something like 6 trillion actual physical dollars that exist, and something like 2 quadrillion dollars that people "own" in various ways.

I haven't seen that reading of Marx before, though. I take it to mean that Marx understood capitalism to be a thought prison more than an actual "they can't do these things" kind of thing. Like, the commodification of everything that relies on the exploitation of everything will, because it has to, erode anything that exists for its own sake in favor of ways to accrue more capital and thus more money -- a more metaphorical prison than one of constraint due to monetary limitations; but I may be misunderstanding your point.

I wonder if monopolistic forces could bail out the country in another sense, though. Corporate influence is significantly stronger than many actual countries (see Nestle or Coca Cola), and so I think it's entirely possible that they could simply magic up some way for their finances to intermingle with the governing body to gain something of approximate imaginary value to whatever it was they were trying to bail us out of. Like, land rights, or sea rights, or the intellectual property of the concept of the country, or something. Nestle Presents New Jersey would be worth at least a couple hundred thousand

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

the_steve posted:

You had the Dems "considering" the idea of abolishing the position that a progressive had won the primary for over the lovely moderate, until they decided instead to change course and decide that sore loser laws no longer applied to their picks, and getting rid of the elected position was retconned to cloud talk once they thumbed the scales for their guy.

The "Democrats are not a monolith" is a really popular excuse for why good things just can't happen-gosh darn it- but the moderates in the party absolutely are a monolith, and they've proven they're just as bad at Republicans when it comes to changing the rules to make it virtually impossible to get those progressive candidates into place.

How so?

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Politico is deeply concerned about the "alarming" news that ... too many people are employed and getting raises in Nebraska.

https://www.politico.com/newsletter...001&nlid=630318

What progressive incumbent was primaried by a moderate supported by the DCCC?

Not a progressive incumbent (or congress critter) but the Buffalo mayoral race was pretty hosed up. The incumbent Dem didn’t bother to campaign in the primary cuz he assumed he’d walk away with it, he lost to the socialist who, despite being the official democratic candidate, was basically disavowed by the NY state dem machine and the heavy hitters and lost in the general to the incumbent who ran as a write in cuz “everyone begged me to do it”

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

tigersklaw posted:

Not a progressive incumbent (or congress critter) but the Buffalo mayoral race was pretty hosed up. The incumbent Dem didn’t bother to campaign in the primary cuz he assumed he’d walk away with it, he lost to the socialist who, despite being the official democratic candidate, was basically disavowed by the NY state dem machine and the heavy hitters and lost in the general to the incumbent who ran as a write in cuz “everyone begged me to do it”

She was endorsed by like both NY Senators, yet somehow burned a lot of her progressive supporters over the course of the general. And total turnout was pretty dismal, it's not like she was overwhelmed by a massive showing despite getting popular support: she just went flat. It was a bummer since I was pulling for her and expecting her to win, but there's a lot more that failed than the local Dem machine not liking her.

And the fact that she was backed by the most national and mainstream Dems relevant to the race puts the lie to the whole "DNC fighting tooth and nail to primary every progressive" thing we hear about but never really see.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

tigersklaw posted:

When you're the only name on the ballot and still lose because only 10% of the electorate turned out to write in someone else, you're a pretty crappy candidate.

It had nothing to do with her being a socialist and everything to do with her being a lousy politician who couldn't give anyone a reason to vote for her.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Killer robot posted:

She was endorsed by like both NY Senators, yet somehow burned a lot of her progressive supporters over the course of the general. And total turnout was pretty dismal, it's not like she was overwhelmed by a massive showing despite getting popular support: she just went flat. It was a bummer since I was pulling for her and expecting her to win, but there's a lot more that failed than the local Dem machine not liking her.

And the fact that she was backed by the most national and mainstream Dems relevant to the race puts the lie to the whole "DNC fighting tooth and nail to primary every progressive" thing we hear about but never really see.

Also the state Republican party supported her opponent:

https://nypost.com/2021/10/26/democrat-gets-gop-support-as-write-in-over-socialist-in-buffalo-mayors-race/

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah the Buffalo race really was her just being a bad candidate. She wasn't very knowledgeable, she lost her one union supporter by hiring scabs, and said she supported charter schools at some fundraiser.

But even if it were a back stab from the moderates, so what? This speaks to a problem the Left in the U.S. has had forever, we always have some whiny excuse for why we lose. Socialism not working in some country? CIA is undermining their government, not fair! Bernie didn't get the nomination? The moderates pulled some convention trick to sabotage him, not fair! Republicans exploit cold war hysteria and propaganda to misconstrue our goals and make people think we're the Khmer Rouge? Not fair! The media clearly hated Bernie and was completely in the tank for Biden? Not fair! All of those things are true and all of those things are indeed not fair, and it doesn't matter because history is written by the winners. No kidding the U.S. is going to run black ops on anything to the left of McDonalds it sees in other countries, no kidding the establishment is going to try to maintain the status quo, no kidding the moderates are going to stab us in the back and ally with our enemies, no kidding the GOP is going to do whatever it can to maintain white supremacy, anyone who didn't already know that coming into this was finished before they even got started.

We either figure out a way to get into power or we don't.

Abrams is out there putting in work. Can everyone else, who spends so much time here or on reddit, or twitter agonizing over the Democrats failures, honestly say they're putting in equal effort as far as they are able?

And I remember in a previous thread another goon mentioning that they'd run for something. Which is really what we need a lot more of. In the most recent election in Jersey a truck driver who got annoyed he couldn't get a concealed carry permit ran as a Republican with zero experience and $2200 in campaign funds and unseated his democratic opponent who was a 20 year incumbent and the state senate president.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 26, 2021

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Prediction: court case will be a drawn out version of this thread litigating "he was/wasn't a white supremacist actually" debate and the verdict will not settle anything in the slightest.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1463195406511513605

Weird how he keeps hanging out with people like Tucker Carlson, Donald Trump and the Proud Boys if he's so mad about people trying to link him to white supremacists...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

Weird how he keeps hanging out with people like Tucker Carlson, Donald Trump and the Proud Boys if he's so mad about people trying to link him to white supremacists...
Yeah well but he said he supports BLM so he can't be a racist bootlicker.

I think people's frustration is understandable but that's just how politics work everywhere. It'd be like expecting a 5% socialist party in a coalition to push through their agenda. There's just going to be more than a few contrarian assholes who disagree and won't vote for that stuff so the only solution is to vote in more than a handful people who support your goals.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nucleic Acids posted:

Using Biden’s past actions and statements was basically verboten here during the campaign.

No, it wasn't. It was discussed on every page, 24/7. What kind of amnesia does that sort of understanding imply?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

No, it wasn't. It was discussed on every page, 24/7. What kind of amnesia does that sort of understanding imply?

Their concerns about Biden's mental state are just projection.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

In this specific thread unsure but yes there was a very long conversation in the previous thread that you couldn't determine Democrats future actions based on past actions because maybe they changed their minds.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Biden better impose brutal travel restrictions.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
n/m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

It wasn’t exactly accepted by Biden supporters around here to, say, use his championing of the crime bill and being besties with Strom Thurmond as evidence he’s a racist, for instance.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 26, 2021