Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Antitonic posted:

True. It’s just an issue I’ve come up against personally for preferring lower stats. Like multiple negatives. The majority of players I’ve interacted with are all about maxing out everything and domination, whereas I enjoy working on stories of growth. And feats are a great way to enable that. You might not be as useful in combat, but it feels like your successful rolls matter more.

And given CR is much more RP over mechanics on average, I could definitely see stat boosts being “neglected” for flavour.
Ashley aside, no one has neglected them in either previous campaign.

Main stat affects to-hit rolls, spell DC, and for non-spontenous casters the amount of spells prepared. There's also a bunch more class specific uses but these are the most universal ones.
With a low main stat you'll spend your time missing, getting resisted, and not having the spell you need prepared.
Main stats are pretty drat crucial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I'd love to know how they roll stats all the same, there are so many odd numbers in their blocks I'd assume it's either 3d6 or 4d6 and assign but even then some of them seem to pick lower rolls for their primary stats so maybe they do it sequentially but that would mean that you could end up with some really poorly constructed characters. Thanks for that link earlier, I was more interested in seeing spell lists and skills and they have some of that on there.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
It's 4d6 drop the lowest of the 4 for each stat, non sequential, and if they don't reach a certain combined minimum total they reroll everything.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
One of my biggest problems with 5E as written is that you have to choose an ASI or a feat when the former come up constantly and the latter are generally more situational. It's just bad design. In my campaigns I give everyone a free feat to start with.

I've also had to deal with the problem of parties where some characters are optimized and others aren't. In general I end up having them get magic items to patch up their shortcomings.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Hexmage-SA posted:

One of my biggest problems with 5E as written is that you have to choose an ASI or a feat when the former come up constantly and the latter are generally more situational. It's just bad design. In my campaigns I give everyone a free feat to start with.

I've also had to deal with the problem of parties where some characters are optimized and others aren't. In general I end up having them get magic items to patch up their shortcomings.

My DM in the campaigns I'm playing in now gave us some freedom here.

Free level 1 *non combat feature*, if it has a stat increase, ignore that.
His reasoning was that this would encourage us to pick some of the lesser used features that generally get ignored for the more handy ones, and encourage roleplaying.

The second homebrew rule, reasoning that features are cool as hell and it sucks picking one or the other is:
At ASI pick +2 or one feature and +1.

My goblin warlock started the Frostmaiden campaign speaking seven languages thanks to the Linguist feature and the character background options.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Senjuro posted:

Ashley aside, no one has neglected them in either previous campaign.

Main stat affects to-hit rolls, spell DC, and for non-spontenous casters the amount of spells prepared. There's also a bunch more class specific uses but these are the most universal ones.
With a low main stat you'll spend your time missing, getting resisted, and not having the spell you need prepared.
Main stats are pretty drat crucial.

Yeah, but a stat increase only increases the bonus by +1. Spells prepared is definitely a good thing to have, but feats might help a lot more than a +1 at lower levels for most everything else.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

seaborgium posted:

Yeah, but a stat increase only increases the bonus by +1. Spells prepared is definitely a good thing to have, but feats might help a lot more than a +1 at lower levels for most everything else.

That +1 adds up over time and any increase at all to spell DC is huge. The most powerful spells are based on saves and not hits for a reason.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Senjuro posted:

That +1 adds up over time and any increase at all to spell DC is huge. The most powerful spells are based on saves and not hits for a reason.

The difference between a sorc with 18 charisma and 20 is an extra known spell and a +5% success rate on social skills and spells. If it's a choice between that and say, war caster, spell sniper, or elemental adept I'm going to take feat.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

The difference between a sorc with 18 charisma and 20 is an extra known spell and a +5% success rate on social skills and spells. If it's a choice between that and say, war caster, spell sniper, or elemental adept I'm going to take feat.
But think about how often you use those things that benefit from that extra 5% and how many spells there are that can completely neutralize an enemy on a failed save. Polymorph, hold, blind, banish, slow, charm, dominate, feeblemind, and probably more. Heck, you can even just drown most creatures by plane shifting them to the Elemental Plane of Water. Your main stat even helps with Counterspell and Dispel Magic which are undoubtedly lifesavers.
Unlike things like your HP, attack, AC, or even saving throws, almost nothing official exists that can improve your spell DC precisely because it's so powerful. Don't take my word for it, just listen to Matt. (C1E74)

And sorcerers specifically don't need war caster as much as they're proficient in constitution saving throws.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Government Handjob posted:

My DM in the campaigns I'm playing in now gave us some freedom here.

I always give my players an ASI and a feat. It's never broken the game or anything and people end up taking the interesting but useless in combat feats. One time I tried separating feats (I also made up some of my own since we had a pretty unique setting) into minor and major feats. You always got a minor feat and could choose between a major feat or asi. That idea kinda sucked so we scrapped it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Fell asleep watching the stream on Thursday, so I was not prepared for Fearne recommending sending children into the spire holes. Ashley is killing it so far this campaign. Fearne is so, so good :allears:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Lotus Aura posted:

Fell asleep watching the stream on Thursday, so I was not prepared for Fearne recommending sending children into the spire holes. Ashley is killing it so far this campaign. Fearne is so, so good :allears:

Both Fearne and Laudna are bringing two different types of chaos to the party and I love it.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Cross posting this from the gif thread because its a pretty sweet Kenku costume

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
... don't eat humans, okay?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Go gently caress yourself!

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Horrifying, but in a good way.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Welcome to the Mighty Nightmares

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

redbrouw posted:

Welcome to the Mighty Nightmares

Laudna has a suggestion for the new group name, I see.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
My phone was like "we see you like Critical Role heres something you might enjoy" and linked me to this

https://www.dicebreaker.com/topics/critical-role/opinion/critical-role-love-has-died

Yeah i don't think so fam.

quote:

I cannot speak for SWANA communities and individuals, but I was certainly a little baffled as to why Mercer and co. had decided to go down this route. Fantasy settings and elements are often at their best when they don’t take direct inspiration from real-world cultures, especially if the people involved aren’t from those cultures.

... do they know fantasy at all and how nearly all of it is taken from real world inspiration?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lid posted:

... do they know fantasy at all and how nearly all of it is taken from real world inspiration?

lol quoting an anonymous twitter account and giving no sign whatsoever they've actually seen an episode of this season is definitely one way to write an article

if anything, this season has been a clear effort from Matt towards undoing his "marquet is Fantasy Arabia/North Africa" thing from S1 and making it way less stereotypical. the current location they're in has reminded me much more of south/central america

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 24, 2021

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Lid posted:

My phone was like "we see you like Critical Role heres something you might enjoy" and linked me to this

https://www.dicebreaker.com/topics/critical-role/opinion/critical-role-love-has-died

Allow me to be somewhat skeptical of an article like from *checks notes* another Actual Play channel that likely sees themselves as scrappy independent underdogs competing against the 800 pound gorilla brand.

Which like, they very well might be, I've enjoyed a few things here and there from Dicebreaker, but still.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Lid posted:

I generally like Dicebreaker, but this article was ill-conceived from the start. Matt and CR have acknowledged that they’re working with cultural consultants to AVOID this exact problem. And as other posters indicated, Marquet has clearly been expanded on to make it more diverse in its inspirations.

Also, yeah, huge LOL at the idea that fantasy is at its best when it…isn’t inspired by anything? I guess? Which is completely impossible and/or indicates such a deep misunderstanding of fantasy on a fundamental level as to make the whole thing laughable.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
With most of the critical role drama, you gotta want it if you think it's a problem. However, Marquet was a standard Edward Said orientalism problem until Matt said he would fix it.

It's up to these fans to recognize that, and it's going to take a lot to convince them. I think it's on the cusp of being inconsequential, but who knows?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Never consume media about media you enjoy, it is the only way.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
pals

maybe this is stupid to say but

can i just be super clear

i am LOVER wheel of time the hbo series right now

k?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
high lover.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Lid posted:

"I can't speak for SWANA communities except here's an entire article where i'm literally doing that."

With a little "I liked Critical Role before it went all mainstream" thrown in.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
What do you mean it isn't Thursday?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh, this is a skip week due to Thanksgiving isn't it? Well, I'm not thankful at all :colbert:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Deuce posted:

"I can't speak for SWANA communities except here's an entire article where i'm literally doing that."

With a little "I liked Critical Role before it went all mainstream" thrown in.

Most all the comments are calling them out for one aspect or another, which I thought was a little funny to see since it is their own site.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

redbrouw posted:

What do you mean it isn't Thursday?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Smdh, they should have replaced the cast with players from a real life spire-dwelling culture if they wanted to go down this road. Very insensitive of them to deviate from the universally recognized default setting of White People in King Arthur's Court.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
No Dungeons and no Dragons? What kind of "Dungeons and Dragons" is this? :colbert:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Deuce posted:

That's always my favorite part of articles like that, but the close second was the assertion that fantasy setting should never take inspirations from real life settings, which was baffling.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Crazy Ted posted:

That's always my favorite part of articles like that, but the close second was the assertion that fantasy setting should never take inspirations from real life settings, which was baffling.

No no the BEST fantasy settings take zero real life inspiration is what she said. Such examples include

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

eke out posted:

lol quoting an anonymous twitter account and giving no sign whatsoever they've actually seen an episode of this season is definitely one way to write an article

if anything, this season has been a clear effort from Matt towards undoing his "marquet is Fantasy Arabia/North Africa" thing from S1 and making it way less stereotypical. the current location they're in has reminded me much more of south/central america

It's also got a happy helping of South Asian influence too, epecially all the clothes he's mentioning are things like kurtas and dhoti

Quixote
Feb 22, 2005
It IS Thrusday, yet.

https://twitter.com/HemlockVale/status/1465032067259846656

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

gonna need travis to show up tonight, imho

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

eke out posted:

gonna need travis to show up tonight, imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Speaking of Laudna, while I'm a big fan of everyone joining in her whispers to make them creepy in general, especially with Orym in particular, I didn't like it last episode when it happened with Imogen. It just feels like their relationship is close enough that it doesn't work for Imogen to get that creepy vibe anymore. Or maybe it's because Imogen seems to have gotten past it in general, and was reassuring Laudna about how she could do better in future when Laudna freaked out some kids in the first episode.