Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKoWsk0LMtw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The state of CSPAM is strong

There haven't been any huge blowouts in a while so that's good. I'm as much a fan of smiting my forum enemies as the next person but I think the light-handed approach to moderator intervention has been a good change - and giving the threads the autonomy to manage themselves without sweeping subforum rules seems like it has been an effective compromise to keeping the disparate CSPAM cliques happy. The big red line "do not cross" stuff is still getting dealt with swiftly enough too so... I dunno.

Keep whittling away the poo poo and helping the good stuff thrive. I don't think there's any drastic course correction needed though.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
wrong thread

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

empty whippet box posted:

translation - "we would like people not to use slurs, and have the authority to stop them from doing so, but they really want to so we're going to let them" loving cowardly, pathetic, embarrassing poo poo. personally i no longer feel comfortable posting in cspam because of it, and also because of how venomous and hateful a lot of the posters are and you let those ones dictate the rules and what is and is not ok far, far more than you let common loving sense and the desire to do what is right dictate those things.

personally I'm not going to be one of the people who posts in one of the 'safe spaces to post slurs' forums, and indeed I haven't in a couple months, and I will continue not to, because of this kind of weak, dogshit moderation that literally only enables the shittiest, meanest, most unpleasant people who post on these forums.

this part really gets me:

that's because it's loving wrong you feckless loving coward. you should be one of the ones stepping up and saying NO, THIS IS NOT OK but instead you're posting pathetic bullshit like this trying to give yourself an excuse for not standing up to it.

this will never happen and all you are doing is siding with them and enabling them. YOU are more the problem than they are, and the rest of the moderation team that allows this garbage to be one of the defining aspects of what cspam is. You're doing a bad job and you should be ashamed.

for those of you just tuning in this guy has had multiple threads in qcs full of the most dysfunctional freaks on these forums obsessively crawling through his posting history to dig up personal info with which to try bully him off the site

the only difference between the fyad/qcs/cccc crew and kiwi farms is that SA has some minimum rules of conduct and kf aren’t in denial about being sociopathic pieces of poo poo

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

that definitely happened

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Wheeee posted:

the only difference between the fyad/qcs/cccc crew and kiwi farms is that SA has some minimum rules of conduct and kf aren’t in denial about being sociopathic pieces of poo poo

lmao every time

Sundown Forum
Nov 12, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheeee posted:

for those of you just tuning in this guy has had multiple threads in qcs full of the most dysfunctional freaks on these forums obsessively crawling through his posting history to dig up personal info with which to try bully him off the site

i dont like fyad and i think your posts are sanctimonious horseshit

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

imagine being mad at fyad lmao

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

mila kunis posted:

is there an IK regular for the eurasia thread since gradenko stepped down?

I regularly read the thread but it doesn't seem to need any moderation ever? If you want a thread title change hit me up

Lucavi
May 12, 2002

Good soup! posted:

imagine being mad at fyad lmao

time to check that post history

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bleeding kansas posted:

empty whippet box has always been a good poster

why would someone do this. just go on the internet and tell lies

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

lol. lmao

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
ah hell yeah, a bunch of turkey in me, chillaxin to the fifth rerun of planes, trains, and automobiles, logging into my favorite website something awful dot com and getting in on that sweet not-at-all-expired cspam v. fyad slugfest rather than talk to my family about how much i love them or any poo poo like that, this is what the internet was made for, this is why i was born, this is why the pilgrims came to america

Probably Magic has issued a correction as of 07:52 on Nov 26, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lol every time without fail

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

lol every time without fail

no page you've posted on is without fail

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i don't think i have any issues with c-spam moderation currently but then again i don't pay very attention to the meta-discussions

this mod thread feels kind of like dictating stuff from on high though. how are mods chosen anyway? the first point about cultural genocide happening seems... pretty far from the c-spam consensus. at least from the perspective of the eurasia thread, where discussion would take place.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Wheeee posted:

SA isnt in denial they just have their buds in charge, its pretty sad poo poo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Loucks posted:

I hadn’t seen any of those, but honestly thanks for providing an actual response instead of being smug and snarky for no reason at all. Doesn’t sound too bad except, of course, for the slurs. I’m aware that slurcrew finds my position there incomprehensible though.

You should probably read the old marxism thread then. Larry is pretty well read, and overall a good contribution.

People side with because the most hated of the last iteration of mods would pick fights with him, and then probe him for responding to aggressive comments. There were people even coming into the thread to scold him for responding to the fights. His perma was pretty BS.

Given the slapfights that happen in almost every thread, and the obnoxious tendencies of goons I don't think he's even middle of the list of "bad" posters. Dickeye used to get into multi page fights with people who told them that being unpaid/making $4 an hour for working at a local gaming shop was bad.

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

some plague rats posted:

:drat:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

some plague rats posted:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

crepeface posted:

i don't think i have any issues with c-spam moderation currently but then again i don't pay very attention to the meta-discussions

this mod thread feels kind of like dictating stuff from on high though. how are mods chosen anyway? the first point about cultural genocide happening seems... pretty far from the c-spam consensus. at least from the perspective of the eurasia thread, where discussion would take place.

The comments about genocide are best seen in contrast to how D&D handles the issue, which is that what is happening is genocide and denial of such is met with discouraging probations. The point that we are trying to make is that we will not be issuing probations for "genocide denial" and that folks shouldn't ask for such.

The Eurasia thread definitely has a consensus among the regulars there, but it would be unwise to suggest that there is any such thing as "CSPAM consensus". If folks want to roll in there and disagree, they're welcome to do so, but they're likely to be met with hostility. No one's saying they shouldn't, but we are saying that we are not going to issue probations for anyone on either side of the issue, simply because they hold a particular viewpoint.

That was added specifically because we have occasionally gotten reports in the past from people who saw a post basically saying "the CCP is amazing and what's happening there is great" with the reason "genocide denial" to make it clear that we are not taking a forums position on the issue.

As for how mods and IKs are chosen, there's a few different ways. First, we look for suggestions from the community. This has already happened once in this thread and happened in the last feedback thread too.

Now, as we saw with R. Guyovich giving a rather shermanesque response when publicly suggested, folks often turn down the offer to mod or IK when asked. Because we don't want to put anyone on blast, we're not going to be sharing the list of people who were offered and declined from the last feedback thread, but I can assure you it is hilariously long.

The second way that mods and IKs get chosen is by existing mods discussing which threads they all read and seeing where there are gaps. The idea here is then that the mods start reading the threads for a while and identify candidates who contribute positively and who they see interacting positively outside those threads. I understand that I was chosen because I followed and participated in the UFO and Epstein threads, and I happened to lurk a few others that were needing coverage too.

The big goal with both of these is that we don't want mods and IKs that are disconnected from the community and who don't represent the threads that they're moderating. This is inevitable to some degree, since this is such a big community that it's impossible to have complete coverage, but nevertheless it's something that we're always going to strive toward.

The third way mods and IKs get chosen is just by seeing posters in the threads we read who are contributing positively and who we think have the right temperament to be a mod or IK. I don't think it's controversial to say that just because someone is popular that doesn't automatically mean they'd be a good choice for mod or IK, so as mods we try to use our best judgment when balancing between who is a popular contributor and who would then do well with buttons.

One of the big items from the last feedback thread was more input on who mods and IKs CSPAM, and that really is something that we're trying to take to heart. Obviously, this process is one that is ongoing and what I just wrote above isn't set in stone or like official policy, just me speaking off the cuff about the process.

We're still looking for more mods and IKs, but perhaps unsurprisingly, it's hard to find people who want to voluntarily and without compensation clean the shitflinging monkey cages so the process is ongoing.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

some plague rats posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

SA isnt in denial they just have their buds in charge, its pretty sad poo poo

This

Fluffdaddy is our admin, they love CSPAM so much.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

jeffrey likes to read the succ zone and get pissed off just like me

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

empty whippet box posted:

translation - "we would like people not to use slurs, and have the authority to stop them from doing so, but they really want to so we're going to let them" loving cowardly, pathetic, embarrassing poo poo. personally i no longer feel comfortable posting in cspam because of it, and also because of how venomous and hateful a lot of the posters are and you let those ones dictate the rules and what is and is not ok far, far more than you let common loving sense and the desire to do what is right dictate those things.

personally I'm not going to be one of the people who posts in one of the 'safe spaces to post slurs' forums, and indeed I haven't in a couple months, and I will continue not to, because of this kind of weak, dogshit moderation that literally only enables the shittiest, meanest, most unpleasant people who post on these forums.

this part really gets me:

that's because it's loving wrong you feckless loving coward. you should be one of the ones stepping up and saying NO, THIS IS NOT OK but instead you're posting pathetic bullshit like this trying to give yourself an excuse for not standing up to it.

this will never happen and all you are doing is siding with them and enabling them. YOU are more the problem than they are, and the rest of the moderation team that allows this garbage to be one of the defining aspects of what cspam is. You're doing a bad job and you should be ashamed.

I think its good when tedious posters who only post about meta poo poo leave

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

C-SPAM is pretty good, except for the frankly, outrageous Dark Souls 2 apologia that gets tolerated here.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

lumpentroll posted:

Jeffrey stops all succ zone probes from going through because he's part of bernies online harassment bros. No woman will go un harassed.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

all of these threads are yours - except succ zone
attempt no modding there

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
reposting this suggestion for no real specific reason, just an innocent bump

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Behead those who insult Dark Souls 2

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

reposting this suggestion for no real specific reason, just an innocent bump

Stormcrowishly: You have no power here

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
every op should be a vlog

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

lumpentroll posted:

it was better before the whining-about-d&d crew showed up in force :ssh:

Also dark souls 2 is good and if you feel differently, you're banned.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Alec Eiffel posted:

every op should be a dog
fixed

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

sir, thank you

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
We uphold Miyazaki thought in C-spam

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Look, either your Dark Souls game has the "well what is it" gesture or it doesn't. It's more, DMC2 "they tried!" okay, less DmC "this game and its entire team should be memory holed forever" bad.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'd like to note here, as I PMed Thunderbeast, my recent purchase of SotFS is also, somehow, your fault. I blame the week off. Thanks?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lib and let die posted:

C-SPAM is pretty good, except for the frankly, outrageous Dark Souls 2 apologia that gets tolerated here.

gently caress you

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’m going to turn this thread’s posts into a series of vlogs. will you close this thread so I can post mine?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The trump thread has failed at containment again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Alec Eiffel posted:

I’m going to turn this thread’s posts into a series of vlogs. will you close this thread so I can post mine?

Fly Molo posted:

gently caress you