Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Nitevision posted:

Moving is by far the most practical and realistic way for a North American to begin living in a humane city lol

has JNB ever said how he was able to move to Amsterdam? Is he there on a work visa maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i read in an interview that his wife managed to score a job with a company that would sponsor their visa

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm Big Bike

Get between my legs

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Cars loving Suck! 3 simple words that sound so sweet together

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

actionjackson posted:

has JNB ever said how he was able to move to Amsterdam? Is he there on a work visa maybe?

the Dutch are shooting each other and setting poo poo on fire because they’re possibly more antivax than Americans. they’ll probably get even more racist over time and climate. I wouldn’t bet on it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

the Dutch are shooting each other and setting poo poo on fire because they’re possibly more antivax than Americans. they’ll probably get even more racist over time and climate. I wouldn’t bet on it.

I don't think the antivax thing is true, according to the government site 88.5% of adults have had two doses, 84.9% have had one. Have the Dutch mandated vaccines for anyone?

https://coronadashboard.government.nl/landelijk/vaccinaties

for some reason the percent in Amsterdam is much lower (mid 70s)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

actionjackson posted:

I don't think the antivax thing is true, according to the government site 88.5% of adults have had two doses, 84.9% have had one. Have the Dutch mandated vaccines for anyone?

https://coronadashboard.government.nl/landelijk/vaccinaties

for some reason the percent in Amsterdam is much lower (mid 70s)

don’t let the numbers get in the way of the sensation

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUx3bJY7nH0

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

don’t let the numbers get in the way of the sensation

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUx3bJY7nH0

lol so many bikes on fire. i guess you still gotta burn something even when there's way less cars. the netherlands is such a beautiful country 🥲

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

This group gets quoted for "balance" in lots of news stories about street safety, as if it represents a real constituency, and someone investigated and it turns out it's got two employees in some random town in Minnesota or something.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

My Singapore 3 lane road here is just as wide as that 2 lane road

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Palladium posted:

doesn't it cost an insane amount to rent a parking place if you live in a Singapore apartment

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Palladium posted:

MY SINGAPORE 3LANE ROAD

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Palladium posted:

Brother have you seen an American before? We are large people.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'd never seen a motorway wider than 4 lanes in each direction before I visited america

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Filthy Hans posted:

doesn't it cost an insane amount to rent a parking place if you live in a Singapore apartment

$60-80 bucks per month for a public housing parking lot? So not really

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

they do charge you a $50k+ certificate of entitlement to own a car in singapore though

almost like they want the people lowering everyone else's QoL to pay for it???

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Animal Friend posted:

Has this been posted yet

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

$60-80 bucks per month for a public housing parking lot? So not really

oh, I heard it was much much worse, but maybe that was Hong Kong or maybe it I just heard some bullshit

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Palladium posted:

My Singapore 3 lane road

~~mY SiNgApOrRe 3 LaNe RoAd~~

mr fuckin fancy pants over here. not everyone is lucky enough to live in a first world country. lots of us are american,

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pretty incredible every single traffic light doesn't have built in red light cameras and speed cameras (both instant and average over a distance) at this point in cities because it might upset drivers

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

They've added lots of average speed cameras to a new motorway in the UK and the drivers loving hate it.

Near me they are experimenting with speed cameras that make the next light red if you are speeding which imo is a great, equity improving innovation. Of course the drivers hate that too

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Red light cameras are tricky because the companies contracted to run them like to speed up the timing to encourage drivers to race the yellow lights and increase ticket revenue while decreasing safety.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

withak posted:

Red light cameras are tricky because the companies contracted to run them like to speed up the timing to encourage drivers to race the yellow lights and increase ticket revenue while decreasing safety.

the problem there is just grift, capitalism and town fiefdoms. it should be federal or state-operated and non of the fines go to some corrupt township mayor office or private corp who handles 'management'

the one in millbrae was hilariously rigged.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ban cars, buy also make car manufacturers pay when a car they built is speeding (or is in any sort of incident)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

someone in my city thread was talking about some suburb, did a random walking route search and lmao

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

coming back to the US after a few years abroad was legit dangerous. i was so used to long, luxurious yellow lights that i ended up driving through a red at least 5 times before i could mentally readjust

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

actionjackson posted:

someone in my city thread was talking about some suburb, did a random walking route search and lmao

This could be any exurb in america at this point

withak posted:

Yup, I hate them. People freak out and either slam on the brakes or gun it to make them. Not ideal

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yup, I hate them. People freak out and either slam on the brakes or gun it to make them. Not ideal
This sounds like a people problem, so long as the light timing is sane.

Make it ubiquitous so that people know they have to approach each stoplight like a sane person instead of roadrunner on cocaine. Run/administer by the local DoT with meaningful oversight instead of some lovely third party blackbox running a grift with the local mayor/PD.

Can't pull the story up right now, but there was a whole series of reports on alleged racial imbalance in DC's camera enforcement, citing that the presence of cameras was disproportionately higher in poor black neighborhoods. But then looking at the actual data showed the majority of the tickets went to white drivers from the 'burbs recklessly racing through black neighborhoods (and a significant number of black residents weren't car owners, anyways).

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

you'd have to try insanely hard to make camera ticket issuance as racist as cop issuance.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

you'd have to try insanely hard to make camera ticket issuance as racist as cop issuance.

I'm confident that Americans can accomplish that one way or another.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

Wait'll you see my new algorithm.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

seems fairly easy. just setup the cameras in minority neighborhoods, which is how cops do it

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Vomik posted:

seems fairly easy. just setup the cameras in minority neighborhoods, which is how cops do it

you're still ticketing people based on actual behaviour, and protecting minorities (they are disproportionately victims of car crashes) (also see post above about the actual speeders in minority neighborhoods). cops will like pick out minorities in white neighborhoods

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

you're still ticketing people based on actual behaviour, and protecting minorities (they are disproportionately victims of car crashes) (also see post above about the actual speeders in minority neighborhoods). cops will like pick out minorities in white neighborhoods

hmmm ok how about this…

cameras that can’t capture license plates if the offender is using new model Xeon headlights

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

yeah that probably works

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Xaris posted:

the problem there is just grift, capitalism and town fiefdoms. it should be federal or state-operated and non of the fines go to some corrupt township mayor office or private corp who handles 'management'

the one in millbrae was hilariously rigged.

An interesting idea but have you considered just banning cars instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

Just use AI on it somehow that should get the racism up to where it ought to be