Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

BalloonFish posted:

Erebus and Terror were former bomb ketches - ship's fitted with large fixed mortars for shore bombardments. They were chosen for conversion to polar exploration ships because their hull structures were much stronger than a standard ship in order to withstand the recoil of the mortars, thus making them better-suited to working through (and getting stuck in) ice.

The Royal Navy had a long tradition of giving bomb ketches hellish, firey, doom-laden, infernal names :black101: Others include
Beelzebub, Etna, Devastation, Sulphur, Carcass, Basilisk, Tartarus, Dreadful, Blast, Convulsion, Destruction...and - most terrifying and hellish of all - Portsmouth

One of my earliest crackping moments about the evil of empire came from playing tie fighter. All the star destroyers had names like Vengeance. Then I started looking up names of royal navy ships and they had the same names and I thought "these are not the names a peaceful society chooses for its peacekeeping ships."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Hope Boris gets omicron and this time it ends the sweaty gently caress.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's very hard to do peacekeeping with bomb vessels.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
HMS Hugs'n'kisses

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Victory in the First Opium War granted Britain access to five Chinese ports and resulted in the handing over of Hong Kong where HMS Clown had its early demise.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSIhX-VWhtQ

I mean I'd prefer Bowie to Nu Metal but I think this new variant should reconsider its relationship with to the disgraced Auteur videogame director David Cage.

David Cage is disgraced now? what did he do, besides spending far too much time and money making video games where taking a piss is a necessary part of the story

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Things are getting serious.

https://twitter.com/ScottishSun/status/1464312064026062848

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Julio Cruz posted:

David Cage is disgraced now? what did he do, besides spending far too much time and money making video games where taking a piss is a necessary part of the story

Quantic Dream was (and probably still is) riddled with abuse

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Royal Navy ship naming owns because it's a bunch of stuff like HMS Terror and Vengeance and then you get stuff like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Pickle_(1800)

It's way more interesting than the American's naming scheme at least

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

fuctifino posted:

The Met office have just updated the warnings for tomorrow. We don't often get red alerts, so please take heed.

https://twitter.com/Daily_Record/status/1464187067202777089

Yellow snow warnings always amuse me.

Frank Zappa posted:

Watch out where the huskies go,
And don't you eat that yellow snow

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Tarnop posted:

Yep.

Its really bizzare honestly, like how do you simultaneously make self important 'cinematic' games where the player is the 'director' and has full control over how gently or forcefully you choose to open cupboards, but also apparently scream at your staff about your games 'not being for F*gs'? I found his games facinating when all we knew was that he was a kinda skeezy Wiseau level 'Auteur' that somehow got famous actors and David Bowie to put their names to his crap, but just yuck to all that stuff now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Alctel posted:

Royal Navy ship naming owns because it's a bunch of stuff like HMS Terror and Vengeance and then you get stuff like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Pickle_(1800)

It's way more interesting than the American's naming scheme at least

I know I've mentioned it before but my dad served on HMS Gay Bruiser, one of the Royal Navy's 12-strong Gay class.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

It's very hard to do peacekeeping with bomb vessels.

We need the HMS Frank Exchange of Views

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Or people wondering when we became such a snowflake society that you can't even name an instrument of infernal wrath after the morning star any more.

Oh, the letters page of the Portsmouth News and the Daily Telegraph were always full of letters from Admiral Something-Posh (Retd.) complaining about exactly that every time new ship names were announced.

This being a navy that literally has a Trident sub called Vengeance

zhar
May 3, 2019

Tarnop posted:

there's also the ellen page nude shower scene he got his company to make without her knowledge that hackers managed to dig out of the game files. bear in mind this would never have been intended to be in the release, he just got his 3d artists to model her nipples for reasons we can only guess at.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bug Squash posted:

We need the HMS Frank Exchange of Views
Wonder how we as a country would have done in the fight against fascism with HMS Reasoned Debate In The Marketplace Of Ideas?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I absolutely think you should call warships the most 2edgy5me stuff.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know I've mentioned it before but my dad served on HMS Gay Bruiser, one of the Royal Navy's 12-strong Gay class.

Imagine working in the bowels of the Gay Bruiser

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd change my stance on military spending if they launched a reconnaissance vessel called HMS Gay Lucifer that did nothing but rebroadcast Alex Jones sped up 12%

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
HMS Dragon
HMS Daring
HMS Defender
HMS Diamond
HMS Dauntless

HMS Duncan?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Coming up with edgy/imposing ship names is one of my favourite things about playing space 4xes, so I'm not going to begrudge the Royal Navy for sounding evil as poo poo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Imagine working in the bowels of the Gay Bruiser

He did - he was an engineering rating which meant his rank was Stoker despite it being powered by three big gently caress-off Packard aero engines, and frankly I think he was swinging the lead because he never once had to throw shovels full of petrol into them.

(He actually met my mum while serving on the Gay Bruiser and I never did think to ask either of them what boat he *claimed* to be on when they met)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's weeks too early for anyone to be making that prediction and I'd assume anyone saying so with any kind of confidence is selling something. We have some evidence it's more transmissable than Delta but literally no data at all yet on how dangerous it is, and how much it's mitigated by existing vaccines or treatable with existing therapy.

Yeah, dunno why this particular variant's suddenly all over the news when there's absolutely no evidence it's any worse than any of the thousand other variants that've popped up in the last 18 months. Quiet news day?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Altho 'Omicron' is an admittedly cool, sinister name for a new deadly virus.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, dunno why this particular variant's suddenly all over the news when there's absolutely no evidence it's any worse than any of the thousand other variants that've popped up in the last 18 months. Quiet news day?

Ramping up the scare factor ahead of christmas prepares the ground in case the government does grudgingly decide they need to increase any restrictions at some point over winter, given they've been openly laughing at the idea of masks and home working for most of the last twelve months together with an anti-lockdown right wing press..

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

There's some signs it *could* be very bad - a large number of mutations means it has a better chance of getting past existing immunity (but I have to stress, because nobody ever does this, that this *doesn't* mean that existing immunity is useless, that would be extremely unlikely but admittedly not impossible) and preliminary data does seem to suggest it spreads faster than Delta, but we have been here before (Beta and Gamma variants in particular) and it's just fizzled so don't start panic-buying bog-roll and cyanide tablets just yet.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Ramping up the scare factor ahead of christmas prepares the ground in case the government does grudgingly decide they need to increase any restrictions at some point over winter, given they've been openly laughing at the idea of masks and home working for most of the last twelve months together with an anti-lockdown right wing press..

No. 10 controls the World Health Organisation?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Didn't one of the pharmas say they've come up with something that'll tackle covid and is variant-proof?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

don't start panic-buying bog-roll and cyanide tablets just yet.

how many cyanide tablets do we each need?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

Didn't one of the pharmas say they've come up with something that'll tackle covid and is variant-proof?

Oxycantin, was it?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

how many cyanide tablets do we each need?

Well, I'd say buying any number above zero counts as panic-buying unless you happen to be a very, very old man living in Buenos Aries.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Johnson (not Johnson)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

WhatEvil posted:

Ivermectin, iirc.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

death

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WhatEvil posted:

I think it's this one

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/merck-says-covid-19-pill-cuts-hospitalization-death-risk-by-30-2021-11-26/

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

quite possibly trying to encourage people to get vaccinated (including booster vaccines). And I don't mean this as an antivax tinfoil hat exercise, I mean that for many people it does seem like Covid has become an afterthought now - based to a large extent on the Government's messaging over the last few months - and with such a mindset, why would you bother getting a vaccine?

WhatEvil posted:

mRNA (Pfizer/Moderna) vaccines were supposed to be (relatively speaking) easy to re-sequence and roll out for new variants, which hasn't happened yet although I presume their R&D labs are beavering away at this.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

zhar posted:

there's also the ellen page nude shower scene he got his company to make without her knowledge that hackers managed to dig out of the game files. bear in mind this would never have been intended to be in the release, he just got his 3d artists to model her nipples for reasons we can only guess at.

Yo, not having a go at you or anything but Elliot Page came out as trans a while back and uses he/him nowadays.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Total Meatlove posted:

HMS Dragon
HMS Daring
HMS Defender
HMS Diamond
HMS Dauntless

HMS Duncan?

That was exactly the one I was thinking of that got all the crusty retired Captains, RN worked up about 'weak names'.

It's actually named after Admiral Duncan of Camperdown and the MoD wanted to ensure that one T45 had a name linked with Scotland and one linked with Wales (Dragon).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pistol_Pete posted:

oxford_town posted:

quite possibly trying to encourage people to get vaccinated (including booster vaccines). And I don't mean this as an antivax tinfoil hat exercise, I mean that for many people it does seem like Covid has become an afterthought now - based to a large extent on the Government's messaging over the last few months - and with such a mindset, why would you bother getting a vaccine?

mRNA (Pfizer/Moderna) vaccines were supposed to be (relatively speaking) easy to re-sequence and roll out for new variants, which hasn't happened yet although I presume their R&D labs are beavering away at this.

It's because inital reports are that its approx. 500% more infectious than Delta, and may have a higher IFR as well.

This is categorically different to the "thousands of other variants" - it's something genuinely new. In the coming weeks we're gonna find out how much of a difference that makes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

zhar posted:

That one is kind of whatever to be honest, it's not the only game to have nipples in. (see also mass effect cameltoes etc.)

There's a million easier and far skeevier ways to do a virtual deepfake like that instead of putting it in the game if he wanted it for sexual gratification.

Also "hackers" is basically just any random modder with access to decoded game files and modelling tools.

That said there's a lot of credible allegations of abuse and harassment in quantic dream, which are far worse. I can't really get worked up about nipples on an otherwise barbie model of all things.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 27, 2021