Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Alec Eiffel posted:

I’m going to turn this thread’s posts into a series of vlogs. will you close this thread so I can post mine?

I understand that you're doing this for attention, and I would like to discourage that, so for every minute of vlogs of this thread that you post, I will probate you for one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
CSPAM gets some content, CSPAM gets some blood. sounds like a win win to me

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’m not certain you can use probation as a verb like that (“probate”).

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
heavily agree with the three last posts here.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Alec Eiffel posted:

I’m not certain you can use probation as a verb like that (“probate”).

The English language is a malleable thing, and as a UFO thread poster, "probe" already has other meaning for me.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Isn’t literally every post on these god forsaken forums… for attention?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Alec Eiffel posted:

You seem to thrive on negative attention, which never ends well.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Alec Eiffel posted:

you seem to enjoy attention of the "oh please step on my dick and balls in front of everyone" variety though

many sides, many sides

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

absolutely not. goons love to argue about completely dumb poo poo. you think its because there's a crowd? its because they can't remain seated. debate OCD

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Homeless Friend posted:

absolutely not. goons love to argue about completely dumb poo poo. you think its because there's a crowd? its because they can't remain seated. debate OCD

:wrong:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Before I can offer any kind of verdict on you one way or another, vlogs included, I need to know your opinion on the Pixies song "Alec Eiffel."

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s the best song on the worst of the first four albums (haven’t listened to any post-revival stuff)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

some plague rats posted:

The trump thread has failed at containment again

Domino theory is real, we should have posted at them over there, so they couldn't post at us here.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hey everybody it's been a week and I think the state of cspam discussion is a little exhausted by now so we're planning to wind down this thread in the near future. We'll probably close it sometime tomorrow so that if anybody has any last thoughts or discussion topics they want to raise, they have a chance. Preemptive thanks to everyone for chatting about CSPAM with us in this, the most boring thread in an otherwise fun subforum.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Formally annex the Seattle LAN thread imo

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Alec Eiffel posted:

it’s the best song on the worst of the first four albums (haven’t listened to any post-revival stuff)

This is a fair opinion.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

tokin opposition posted:

Formally annex the Seattle LAN thread imo

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019

quote:

The big goal with both of these is that we don't want mods and IKs that are disconnected from the community and who don't represent the threads that they're moderating. This is inevitable to some degree, since this is such a big community that it's impossible to have complete coverage, but nevertheless it's something that we're always going to strive toward.

The third way mods and IKs get chosen is just by seeing posters in the threads we read who are contributing positively and who we think have the right temperament to be a mod or IK. I don't think it's controversial to say that just because someone is popular that doesn't automatically mean they'd be a good choice for mod or IK, so as mods we try to use our best judgment when balancing between who is a popular contributor and who would then do well with buttons.

this is either bullshit or victory position needs to lose their star

they know it too

thats why they probed themselves and disappeared

"the right temperament"

give it to shallnoiseupon

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

bleeding kansas posted:

they know it too

"the right temperament"

are you crying about a sixer

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019

500 good dogs posted:

are you crying about a sixer

im saying that was embarrassing, and victory position was right to be embarrassed, and they should quit in order to improve the forum

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bleeding kansas posted:

they know it too

"the right temperament"

:qq:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

All the bad trump thread posters should be probed if they leave that thread.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

bleeding kansas posted:

im saying that was embarrassing, and victory position was right to be embarrassed, and they should quit in order to improve the forum

being embarrassing is a prerequisite for a blue star though

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019

sorry i made you cry twice in the same thread, trash

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bleeding kansas posted:

they know it too

"the right temperament"

Victory Position wasn't asked to be an IK so they could IK this thread, and they've been doing a good job in the threads we asked them to keep an eye on as an IK. They know they made a mistake probing Loucks itt, they realized it pretty much immediately, and we had the admins rescind the probe anyway.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

500 good dogs posted:

being embarrassing is a prerequisite for a blue star though

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019

vyelkin posted:

Victory Position wasn't asked to be an IK so they could IK this thread, and they've been doing a good job in the threads we asked them to keep an eye on as an IK. They know they made a mistake probing Loucks itt, they realized it pretty much immediately, and we had the admins rescind the probe anyway.

azathoth said temperament is important

im just trying to judge you all using your own metrics

they never even apologized for their embarrassing behavior

consider getting rid of them and give shallnoiseupon the star, please

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i've changed my mind, ban all non-animal vlogs

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bleeding kansas posted:

We're generally going to be more lenient with IKs having free rein to give joke sixers or probe people for posts that are annoying even if they aren't the kind of rulebreaking that a mod would punish somebody for, that's kinda the point of having IKs. It was a mistake to probe Loucks itt, but it was an understandable mistake given the remit that IKs have in CSPAM, and I think Victory Position's self-sixer counts as enough of an apology that they don't need to come in here and flagellate themselves begging for the forum's forgiveness.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

bleeding kansas posted:

they know it too

"the right temperament"

I choose to sit down and think about my actions, rather than post through it

That being said, I would like to apologize to Loucks as I was reading through other posts in this thread and felt heated enough to probate them, rather than continue their line of conversation. I did not take into consideration what was being conveyed and only tone, and for that, I apologize. You have to read through a lot of things and try to understand the context of what's going on rather than simply what the post is at the time or what the tone was either, that you have to have to allow for feedback, no matter how ugly.

Victory Position has issued a correction as of 03:09 on Nov 27, 2021

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019

vyelkin posted:

We're generally going to be more lenient with IKs having free rein to give joke sixers or probe people for posts that are annoying even if they aren't the kind of rulebreaking that a mod would punish somebody for, that's kinda the point of having IKs. It was a mistake to probe Loucks itt, but it was an understandable mistake given the remit that IKs have in CSPAM, and I think Victory Position's self-sixer counts as enough of an apology that they don't need to come in here and flagellate themselves begging for the forum's forgiveness.

i think we can both agree that it was an honest mistake if it only happens once

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

bleeding kansas posted:

Having the right temperament doesn't mean that they're a perfect infallible person who never makes mistakes. As soon as it happened, they clearly realized that it was a mistake, I also reached out to them via PM and expressed the same, which they clearly understood based on the probe and my own conversation with them.

If they had come back and said "no gently caress you I'm right go screw", that would be a temperament issue and while I don't know if they would have lost their buttons over it, as that's not a unilateral decision that I can (or should) be able to make, it would have been something I would have argued for.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
"being an ik" is like the lowest stake poo poo in the world lol

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

exmarx posted:

"being an ik" is like the lowest stake poo poo in the world lol

yeah, it's fun

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lucavi posted:

time to check that post history

what

E: might be all the mulled wine but idgi

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

bleeding kansas posted:

i think we can both agree that it was an honest mistake if it only happens once

It's the only thing I've ever seen them do as an IK that I disagree with (not saying I necessarily agree with everything they've ever done, just I haven't seen anything else so please spare me a helldump) but they have otherwise been an exemplary IK and good poster overall.

Expecting perfection isn't something that I do at my job with folks I train, who are paid and whose literal ability to remain housed and fed is contingent on their continued employment. I am definitely not going to expect better behavior from an IK who is volunteering for me, also a volunteer, on some decrepit web 1.0 forum we all choose to visit for some unknowable reason.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Good soup! posted:

what

E: might be all the mulled wine but idgi

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it means you're part of the out-group.

Adbot