Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my pedestal lamp on the right here broke and mildly electrocuted me when one of the lamp parts snapped off suddenly, leaving a black scorch mark on my hand. the one on the left is a tendril(?) lamp I bought at a yard sale recently but wound up never using but I think I'll just trash because both of these were bought used. what's a rock solid pedestal lamp I can buy new that comes highly recommended?

maybe a tall one that has a single bright LED bulb in the top part that illuminates from above? like this, roughly to scale with a typical chair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Captain Invictus posted:

my pedestal lamp on the right here broke and mildly electrocuted me when one of the lamp parts snapped off suddenly, leaving a black scorch mark on my hand. the one on the left is a tendril(?) lamp I bought at a yard sale recently but wound up never using but I think I'll just trash because both of these were bought used. what's a rock solid pedestal lamp I can buy new that comes highly recommended?

maybe a tall one that has a single bright LED bulb in the top part that illuminates from above? like this, roughly to scale with a typical chair:

Brightech Sky LED Torchiere Super Bright Floor Lamp - Contemporary, High Lumen Light for Living Rooms & Offices - Dimmable, Indoor Pole Uplight for Bedroom Reading - Brushed Nickel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W9FKF92/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_J88GS5APFE783G7WQMDT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Theres about 1000 manufacturers who all seem to be making similar versions of these LED torchiere lamps. This one has 16,000 Amazon reviews.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cornuto posted:

Brightech Sky LED Torchiere Super Bright Floor Lamp - Contemporary, High Lumen Light for Living Rooms & Offices - Dimmable, Indoor Pole Uplight for Bedroom Reading - Brushed Nickel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W9FKF92/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_J88GS5APFE783G7WQMDT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Theres about 1000 manufacturers who all seem to be making similar versions of these LED torchiere lamps. This one has 16,000 Amazon reviews.
yeah, I tried looking up some and hit the same "1000 manufacturers" thing, so figured I'd ask here in case anyone knew specific good ones. thanks, I'll give that one a go.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

White noise chat:

I have the classic of this and it’s incredibly good.

Adaptive Sound Technologies LectroFan High Fidelity White Noise Sound Machine with 20 Unique Non-Looping Fan and White Noise Sounds and Sleep Timer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6D6LQY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9Z74C249SJR66DMT1PP8?psc=1

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I have this one

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

White noise chat:

Adaptive Sound Technologies LectroFan High Fidelity White Noise Sound Machine with 20 Unique Non-Looping Fan and White Noise Sounds and Sleep Timer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6D6LQY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9Z74C249SJR66DMT1PP8?psc=1

and this one

I like the first better and use it at home. The second one sounds almost as good but also feels like it uses cheaper materials and build quality BUT it’s very lightweight so I use it for travel and it’s totally fine.

Lawen has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Nov 27, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

White noise chat:

I ALSO have this one and use it for my son and would recommend it, though I didn't pay for mine

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
We use the Hatch for our kids. Has scheduling and light functionality.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Nth-ing Dohm white noise machines. We have 4.

My question is about indoor TV antennas.

Are they essentially all the same? Amazon has tons but I honestly don't know what's junk or not.

I have one that will only get a few channels unless I readjust the placement then it will get another set of channels.

We are about 30 miles from a major downtown.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cornuto posted:

got this, assembled it, quite satisfied with it although it's a bit shorter than I'd like, but that's fixed with just putting it on something. compared to the prices for basically any other pedestal lamp I could find in local stores, 65 bucks is a steal. gonna pick up a few more of them I think. thanks again!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I’m looking for a small pair of gloves that I can stuff in my jacket pocket, forget about and then pull out and wear for when I forget to bring proper mitts. Normally this would be a pair of mini gloves but I’m wondering if there’s a better option.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

doingitwrong posted:

I’m looking for a small pair of gloves that I can stuff in my jacket pocket, forget about and then pull out and wear for when I forget to bring proper mitts. Normally this would be a pair of mini gloves but I’m wondering if there’s a better option.

glove liners?

I like these

https://www.rei.com/product/194827/rei-co-op-polartec-power-stretch-fleece-gloves-20?CAWELAID=120217890012198026

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Captain Invictus posted:

got this, assembled it, quite satisfied with it although it's a bit shorter than I'd like, but that's fixed with just putting it on something. compared to the prices for basically any other pedestal lamp I could find in local stores, 65 bucks is a steal. gonna pick up a few more of them I think. thanks again!

Have that model too, works for what I need. Really the only thing I didn't like about it is that I wish the brightness settings were better.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

doingitwrong posted:

I like knit gloves. I've been wearing these for two seasons. The touchscreen stuff doesn't work anymore, but I've never had a great experience with it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
alright, let's do it again, this time, for flashlights. I had a bunch of small maglites and the like, but they take 3 AAA batteries each and the batteries tend to crystallize fairly quickly(a year or so), what are some good LED flashlights that idk are rechargeable instead of using AA's or AAA's, or only use a single battery at a time maybe?

they don't need to be insanely bright, just decently so.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

alright, let's do it again, this time, for flashlights. I had a bunch of small maglites and the like, but they take 3 AAA batteries each and the batteries tend to crystallize fairly quickly(a year or so), what are some good LED flashlights that idk are rechargeable instead of using AA's or AAA's, or only use a single battery at a time maybe?

Fenix E05. Uses a single AAA battery, has three brightness level, fits easily on a keychain, hardy aluminum construction w/ water-resistance. I think they may sell a rechargeable version, but I feel like you’re probably better off w just using a rechargeable AAA battery. Should only run you about $20-30 bucks. I’ve got a few of these that I’ve used for over 5 years each and they still are going strong (and I’ve run over at least one of them w my car).

however, I’d ultimately recommend a headlamp instead so you can use your hands. For that, I’d recommend the Nitecore NU25 headlamp; rechargeable via usb, good runtime, multiple brightness levels, red light for maintaining night vision, and really light but still durable. I use one for backpacking and keep another in my car in case I have a blowout at night.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Those are both great recommendations and more generally, Fenix and Nitecore both make great lights.

For my “EDC” (ugh) flashlight, I like the Nitecore TUP. Small, rechargeable (and holds a charge for a while when not in use), several brightness settings up to 1000 lumens, and the pocket clip is really strong so you can clip it to the brim of a baseball cap as an ad-hoc headlamp.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Captain Invictus posted:

Idk what yer looking to use it for but I'd upgrade to something with an 18650 in it. I had a Thrunite tn12 for 6 years until too many drops made it want to turn on maybe 80% of the time.

Also do we have a boot thread because I'm gonna fuckin loose it looking for new boots.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Also do we have a boot thread because I'm gonna fuckin loose it looking for new boots.

Yo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Idk what yer looking to use it for but I'd upgrade to something with an 18650 in it. I had a Thrunite tn12 for 6 years until too many drops made it want to turn on maybe 80% of the time.

Brother Tadger posted:

Fenix E05. Uses a single AAA battery, has three brightness level, fits easily on a keychain, hardy aluminum construction w/ water-resistance. I think they may sell a rechargeable version, but I feel like you’re probably better off w just using a rechargeable AAA battery. Should only run you about $20-30 bucks. I’ve got a few of these that I’ve used for over 5 years each and they still are going strong (and I’ve run over at least one of them w my car).

however, I’d ultimately recommend a headlamp instead so you can use your hands. For that, I’d recommend the Nitecore NU25 headlamp; rechargeable via usb, good runtime, multiple brightness levels, red light for maintaining night vision, and really light but still durable. I use one for backpacking and keep another in my car in case I have a blowout at night.
we've got a couple decent LED headlamps, it was the flashlights that were extraordinarily out of date and crappy.

based on you guys's recommendations, I picked up these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R1Y7W3X
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K8H17QJ

thanks!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
E: dumb question

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Captain Invictus posted:

we've got a couple decent LED headlamps, it was the flashlights that were extraordinarily out of date and crappy.

based on you guys's recommendations, I picked up these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R1Y7W3X
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K8H17QJ

thanks!

The batteries should be fine only a few companies actually make 18650's, but if they do end up full of sand (yes this is a thing) check out liionwholesale. They test all the batches of batteries they get in, I'm partial to LG but Samsmug make a good battery too.

Ty, trying to find new boots is worse than researching a new flashlight.

Hrvstmn31 has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Dec 1, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Shameful admission: despite loving to cook, and doing it fairly often, I have never sharpened my knives.

This Thanksgiving made it abundantly clear that I need to sharpen my knives.

What's the best / easiest way for an absolute beginner to accomplish this?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Pastry of the Year posted:

Shameful admission: despite loving to cook, and doing it fairly often, I have never sharpened my knives.

There are two genuine answers to this question

1- Look for business in your area that sharpens knives and charges by edge length, and get it done on a regular basis. Between sharpenings, make sure you're actually using a honing steel, using a real cutting board instead of glass or whatever, and doing other normal knife maintenance like cleaning your knives by hand so you don't have to get it done more frequently than you should have to. A skilled sharpener will remove less metal and produce a better edge, and along with good maintenance, your knives will last longer so you don't have to spend as much anyway. If what you really want is to spend a little money and have your cherished knives be better than new, then go with this option.

2- If you're looking to get into sharpening your own knives yourself, know that there are zero automatic sharpeners that are as effective as a whetstone and skill, but learning it can be very confusing and unintuitive. If what you really want is to develop a new skill so you can sharpen your own knives whenever they get even the slightest bit out of true because you have a whetstone on hand, here is a link to the knives thread in GWS https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846213

edit:

Potential third option: In the case that your knives were cheap, stamped stuff to begin with and not really worth getting professionally sharpened, then depending on what it would cost to get all of them sharpened by someone else, you might want to consider getting one or more better knives along with a whetstone and then using your current knives for practice, eventually bringing them back. In the long run, I think it's worth knowing how to sharpen your own knives, and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get something that is very versatile and capable of holding an edge for a long time.

signalnoise has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Dec 2, 2021

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

If you don't have particularly nice/expensive knives, I highly suggest the Chefs Choice Trizor XV. I started using them in work kitchens and then eventually purchased one for home use, they are incredibly easy to use and you get great, fast results. The only downsides in my opinion is that they are not super refined in use so they do grind off a bit more metal than neccessary and every one I've ever used scratched up the sides of my blades. Not a huge problem for me because all of my standard cooking knives that I beat on daily are Mercer Culinary/Victorinox Fibrox type commercial kitchen blades that are meant to be abused to death and then simply replaced. Using the Trizor sharpener I can keep them razor sharp by just touching them up every few weeks with a simple few passes that only takes a minute or two and they still last for a couple years in my home kitchen.

If you are talking about like nice/expensive, "presentation" type knives that you use to carve your Turkey on thanksgiving in front of the family at the table then yeah you might not want to go that route, but for daily beater knives you can't beat it. For all of my expensive knives/pocket knives/showy type stuff I use a KME hand sharpener which is also incredible and you can dial in the exact precision angle of your edge, even taking it up to a mirror polish if you were so inclined and purchase the right stones/leathers/compounds/etc. But I would never really recommend something like this or whetstones or any other kind of hand sharpening to a person who has literally never sharpened a knife before unless you plan on taking this on as a hobby. They all take exponentially more time to use and have learning curves with varying degrees of difficulty associated with them that I'd say 90% of people can't be bothered to do and simply don't need to do.

The other great option if you have expensive knives, like signalnoise mentioned, is just take them to a local professional sharpener. My local guy only charges $10-20 for most basic kitchen type knives unless you need major repairs/re-profiling or want some kind of specialized options. Doing this a few times a year shouldn't end up costing too much money, more than pays for itself in time savings and extending the life of your blades.

100% Dundee has a new favorite as of 14:02 on Dec 2, 2021

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
What's wrong with using something like this to sharpen your knives?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EMFQ8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Basically it's a problem of you get what you pay for, combined with the inability for those to control your hand. At the end of the day, you have to drag the knife through it, and that imparts some deviation in the sharpening angle. I suppose it's possible for someone to make one that fully automates the whole thing but I haven't seen one.

Anyway, sharpening requires removing metal from the blade, and doing a bad job of that has multiple negative consequences. If a sharpener takes off more metal than it should, then that reduces the lifespan of the knife. If it doesn't give you a particularly sharp edge, then you have to resharpen it more often, which reduces the lifespan of the knife. If you keep using a sharpener that takes off too much metal for a subpar edge, then that gives you a nasty cycle of just milling your knives away. In addition, sharpeners like that one suffer from the same problem as knife blocks, which is that you can't really clean inside them. When you take metal off a blade, that metal doesn't just disappear, it sits in there and can take on rust even if it comes from stainless steel, because yes, stainless steel can rust. With both traditional whetstones and diamond stones, they need to be cleaned or they'll get visibly gunked up and take on a nasty brown color from the oxidation of the metal that comes off whatever you're sharpening. The reason stainless steel can rust is because the "stainless" property of it relies on the inclusion of chromium in the alloy, and chromium creates a barrier of chromium oxide when exposed to oxygen, which water is full of. However, that chromium oxide barrier relies on the surface being fairly smooth, and once any oxygen manages to penetrate that barrier, the chromium in stainless steel cannot provide corrosion resistance. That is why a small imperfection on a surface can turn into pitting if a tool is left submerged. The stuff that comes off a knife during sharpening is not particularly smooth, so if you happen to get your fairly well-enclosed sharpener wet and there's a bunch of metal flakes in there, it's pretty hosed.

This is all long-term stuff for people who want to care for their knives and keep them around for years, of course. If you aren't concerned with that, then that's whatever, you do you, but I can tell you straight up that if you genuinely want to learn, you'll get a better edge out of a whetstone that costs the same or less with just a little bit of guidance and practice, and you'll carry that knowledge with you forever.

On the other hand, I have no problem whatsoever using one of those for a utility knife. It's just a matter of what your own standards are for what you're doing. I didn't even get into sharpening for kitchen stuff. I got my first whetstone to sharpen chisels. It should be noted here that when suggesting sharpening by hand either by yourself or hiring someone else, it's mainly in response to the "best / easiest" part of the question. There's nothing wrong with using something like that if it meets your standards, but if we're aiming for the best, then there are comparisons to be made in the results and whatnot. That's all

signalnoise has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Dec 2, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Interesting. I use a whetstone on my “two guys” zwilling set from time to time though I’m sure I’m doing it poorly/wrong. Are those decent enough blades that I should be paying for someone to do it instead?

Also tangentially related at best: are those magnetic rails that some places use to mount/hold knives damaging the blades over time?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Possibly since it's metal on metal so there's risk of chipping or scratching, but you can always get a magnetic rail that's built in wood or silicone.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Warbird posted:

Interesting. I use a whetstone on my “two guys” zwilling set from time to time though I’m sure I’m doing it poorly/wrong. Are those decent enough blades that I should be paying for someone to do it instead?

Also tangentially related at best: are those magnetic rails that some places use to mount/hold knives damaging the blades over time?

In my opinion, if you can afford to use them, and you are comfortable with the edge you get, you can afford to sharpen them. As far as magnets damaging knives, my understanding is that if you remove them from the magnet such that you don't roll the knife off of it in a way that you're pressing the edge against the rail, then it's fine because food is not magnetic. However, there are people in the knives thread that know way more than I do about this subject, so I highly recommend everyone interested in knives to go participate over in GWS because it's always cool to help with learning! Personally, I'm very much an academic and I could say all kinds of stuff that people with more skill would agree with in terms of products and the concepts behind them, but I'd be super dishonest if I said I was more than a novice myself when it came down to actually sharpening and the best processes for doing so. Seriously check out that thread for knife questions if you're going past "pay someone to sharpen the knives you already have". They have a huge amount of information and I'm pretty sure a lot of them use knives in kitchens for a living.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh this all reminds me, what’s a decent cutting board/work surface? This place is in my area and seems to have nice stuff: https://oldworld.co/

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Thanks, all, for the advice. I don't think my knives are particularly nice in terms of expense or quality (relative to what's available, that is - they've been perfectly fine and reliable for years, though). I honestly didn't know sharpening services existed, I assumed it was either DIY or time to buy new knives. I have a handful about which I'm sentimental, so I'll look into getting them seen to.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I've been using the Spyderco sharpener (i think it's a bit cheaper elsewhere) for like 10 years now. It works great, can sharpen anything, and has guides so i don't gently caress the angles up.

Takes about 30 minutes to do all my knives every few months.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

This is a pretty great LED flashlight, rechargeable, has a gasketed sleeve to cover the charge port and like two brightness settings. I carry it around in my pocket at work.

https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-Rech...pd_bap_d_rp_6_t

And Warbird I'd just go straight for end grain, though they can be more expensive due to increased labor and maybe some extra waste. Easier on the knives.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

A year or two ago I bought a set of "Asian" spoons on a whim and holy cow they've been one of those purchases that makes me mad I didn't buy them a decade sooner. They are so much better for eating soups, stews, cereal — basically anything broth or liquid-based. Since they're porcelain (or plastic), they don't get searing hot sitting in hot food like metal spoons do; they have a little hook on the end so you can hang them off the side of the bowl to keep them from slipping into your food; and the larger size makes it easier to get a good ratio of liquid and solid in each bite. Don't throw away your regular ("Western"? "Occidental"?) spoons, they're better for stirring and desserts and stuff. But Asian spoons are a cheap, small life upgrade.

Knife sharpening chat:
If you're spending big money on fancy, high-carbon steel knives and live somewhere where you can get them professionally sharpened, that's the way to go. I drop my knives off at my butcher shop every couple of months for a weekend and a guy comes in and sharpens them (no joke, his real name is Mr. Sharp).
If you're using cheaper knives and/or want to try sharpening your own knives, this video was good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEDyYJJ6f9M. tl;dr: either learn to use and get good with a whetstone or buy a Lansky kit.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I ended up getting this to sharpen my knives. It works perfectly with almost no practice necessary. If you can hold a knife vertically you can sharpen your knives to any angle you want.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Brother Tadger posted:

For a headlamp, I have a set of Love Beams, which are USB rechargeable and have a color selection mode, but have a real killer feature of dimming when you raise your head to talk to someone so they don't get blinded.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

For a headlamp, I have a set of Love Beams, which are USB rechargeable and have a color selection mode, but have a real killer feature of dimming when you raise your head to talk to someone so they don't get blinded.

Ooooh, these look nice! A little pricey, but still, looks quality.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

El Mero Mero posted:

I've been using the Spyderco sharpener (i think it's a bit cheaper elsewhere) for like 10 years now. It works great, can sharpen anything, and has guides so i don't gently caress the angles up.

Takes about 30 minutes to do all my knives every few months.

Are you sure you're using it correctly? The sharpmaker doesn't have guides, the round brass pieces are to keep your hands safe if the blade slips. The stones slide into the base at an angle and you're supposed to slice the knife down perfectly vertically. The edge angle comes from the angled stones.

The fact that you're supposed to freehand it is why I switched a a fauxpro. And then I donated that to a thrift store and now I just take my knives to a sharpening place once a quarter because they consistently get my knives sharper than I can do on my own.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Krime posted:

Nth-ing Dohm white noise machines. We have 4.

My question is about indoor TV antennas.

Are they essentially all the same? Amazon has tons but I honestly don't know what's junk or not.

I have one that will only get a few channels unless I readjust the placement then it will get another set of channels.

We are about 30 miles from a major downtown.

I thought there was an FCC site but I can't find it at the moment, but put in a nearby address in at antennaweb.org and it'll show you how far away and in which direction your local TV antennas are. If you can place the antenna so that it can see the sky in that direction (e.g. in a window) you get a LOT better results than if it has to go through brick/your neighbors house/bob's house of sheetmetal and arc welding/etc.

I am 10 miles from the stations I care about on mostly flat ground and I can pick them up with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VFWV37Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 no problems - the antenna's about three feet off the ground in the corner of a window.

TBH I'd recommend starting with a cheap-rear end ONN rabbit-ears antenna from Walmart and try more expensive options if those don't work. I wouldn't bother with any cheap amplified options though because the amp is probably crap (I had one once where it got worse performance with the amp inline).

Look at monoprice.com as well as amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

thepopmonster posted:

I thought there was an FCC site but I can't find it at the moment, but put in a nearby address in at antennaweb.org and it'll show you how far away and in which direction your local TV antennas are. If you can place the antenna so that it can see the sky in that direction (e.g. in a window) you get a LOT better results than if it has to go through brick/your neighbors house/bob's house of sheetmetal and arc welding/etc.

This is very unfortunate information and explains a lot. My house and living room windows are 90 degrees off from the antennas I care about. Only my upstairs bathroom window points that way. Luckily I only use local stations for weather events and that's available online. And I have a weather radio / cell phone in case the power goes out. Now if there was public access programming in my area I bet I could get some insane cults and conspiracy theorists that would make the expensive options worth it...