Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I managed to actually watch and finish multiple shows this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

Jojo my rear end

*struggling to come up with what verb jojo would be*

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I finished three shows in the space of a week now I'm back to not watching anything again

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Everything Burrito posted:

I managed to actually watch and finish multiple shows this year

same, but unfortunately thunderbolt fantasy s1 doesn’t really qualify for the list, as it is neither a 2021 anime nor, being perfectly honest, an anime

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

nrook posted:

same, but unfortunately thunderbolt fantasy s1 doesn’t really qualify for the list, as it is neither a 2021 anime nor, being perfectly honest, an anime

Thankfully every year I make a thread dedicated to our favorite shows that DIDN'T air this year :cool: So I hope you come by and post about how much you liked Thunderbolt Fantasy! I have a couple of non-anime lined up myself!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

gorf is ready to talk up squid game

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't think I finished any seasonals I enjoyed this year so I won't be posting. Have fun everyone

Watch Odd Taxi.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Stop motion animation still counts as animation.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Watch Odd Taxi.

I will eventually™️

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
A couple years back I watched a show where the main protagonist ends up in some kind of prison, where they have to play squid games against other inmates. I think he/she also develops supernatural powers, there's a girl that helps/protects them I think. Also the main warden is some sexy sadistic lady? The more I think about it, maybe it was a manga, I'm not sure.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

busalover posted:

A couple years back I watched a show where the main protagonist ends up in some kind of prison, where they have to play squid games against other inmates. I think he/she also develops supernatural powers, there's a girl that helps/protects them I think. Also the main warden is some sexy sadistic lady? The more I think about it, maybe it was a manga, I'm not sure.

That could be Deadman Wonderland

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

That Works posted:

That could be Deadman Wonderland

spot on, that's it

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Manga is better, both are abbreviated.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Chas McGill posted:

Odd Taxi is unique and really good.

Thanks for this. Been watching it. It's exactly what I was looking for. :)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Looking for some medieval fantasy stuff with army battles between different kingdoms or a civic/revolutionary conflict setting. Kinda similar to the Fire Emblem or Suikoden series of games? Recently watched Lord Marksman and Vanadis so something like that but with less focus on boobs would be ideal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

Looking for some medieval fantasy stuff with army battles between different kingdoms or a civic/revolutionary conflict setting. Kinda similar to the Fire Emblem or Suikoden series of games? Recently watched Lord Marksman and Vanadis so something like that but with less focus on boobs would be ideal
kingdom, vinland saga? yona of the dawn is very fire emblem but the anime only really has one big battle scene in it, the adaptation stops before the war stuff becomes more common. if youre willing to jump to the manga tho thats also a solid choice

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tin Tim posted:

I'd say the manga for kingdom is probably what you're looking for, though it's China in the warring states period instead of medieval Europe. The first couple of seasons of the anime aren't great though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tin Tim posted:

Moribito fits the setting, though the fights are kept pretty small scale with the threat of a larger conflict looming in the background.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tin Tim posted:

Berserk
The heroic legend of Arslan

Maybe... Drifters

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

thx for the tips I'll go and check them out :wave:

That Works posted:

The heroic legend of Arslan
After watching 2 eps this seems like a perfect fit so I hope it holds up

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 5, 2021

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is the new SAO movie worth watching, animation wise? Just noticed it's out in theaters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's pretty good animation-wise, a step-up from the TV series. It's not gonna blow your mind or anything but SAO is largely a very good looking series even on TV. I'd say the animation is around Ordinal Scale's level, if you've seen it. Though it doesn't go for as flashy a finale as Ordinal Scale had.

The story is also actually pretty good in this one. It's largely Asuna's story, Kirito's there but as a supporting character, and it does a good job showing the Aincrad arc from her perspective.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

it's wild how inconsistent War of Underworld looks relative to the entire rest of the franchise. ugly CG armies everywhere

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

it's wild how inconsistent War of Underworld looks relative to the entire rest of the franchise. ugly CG armies everywhere
tbf war of underworld is also trying to portray, well, a war. large scale army battles are pretty hard to do in pretty much every medium except writing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fondly remembering all the shots in jrpgs where they try to portray a war by having five guys autoattack each other in a field.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that type of scene always takes me out of it even though i find a lot of the other dissonant stuff in jrpgs good and charming

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the scene in abyss where production ig went absolutely bananas with the war scene drawing everyone super distorted and off model but because it's the ps2 the video file is in like 240p and when you get back in-game it all amounts to one enemy soldier appearing as a random encounter on a giant flat empty field every thirty seconds

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i like the scene in abyss where production ig went absolutely bananas with the war scene drawing everyone super distorted and off model but because it's the ps2 the video file is in like 240p and when you get back in-game it all amounts to one enemy soldier appearing as a random encounter on a giant flat empty field every thirty seconds
and that lady's fiance died somewhere in there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that happened later! the war scene is where cecile and frings hook up to begin with

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The heroic legend of Arslan actually has pretty good animation so far in regards to big cavalry charges and blobs of soldiers stabbing the poo poo out of each other. Though there was one memorable scene were one character had some heroic lines to say while enclosed in a ring of soldiers that were like two feet away from him and ALL of them kept swinging their swords at empty air in looped animation cycles. I know you gotta cut some corners but that backdrop was incredibly silly compared to what the scene was meant to transport

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

thx for the tips I'll go and check them out :wave:

After watching 2 eps this seems like a perfect fit so I hope it holds up

Awesome, def think Vinland Saga is gonna fit the bill too. Not fantasy tho, more or less rooted in historical events with a few embellishments.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I need a manga recommendation for anything that's got a sort of reader-draining romance/horror/psychological thing going on, with romance being required.

Good opinions thus far: Flowers of Evil, Scums Wish, Happiness.

Also good but not quite in the above requirements: Nana (though this is straight romance)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
just throwing things out across the spectrum you may or may not have heard of:

boy's abyss
himegoto - juukyuusai no seifuku
dog and scum
dear sa-chan
believers
umibe no onnanoko
kakeochi girl (yuri)
sensei no shiroi uso
naraku no futari
kowloon generic romance
the last menhealer
kitanai kimi ga ichiban kawaii (yuri)
i would die to have your first time
natsu no zenjitsu
kimi ni aisarete itakatta
anata ga shitekurenakute mo
yakedo shoujo

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

PRADA SLUT posted:

I need a manga recommendation for anything that's got a sort of reader-draining romance/horror/psychological thing going on, with romance being required.

Good opinions thus far: Flowers of Evil, Scums Wish, Happiness.

Also good but not quite in the above requirements: Nana (though this is straight romance)

Oyasumi Punpun
Sundome

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Julias posted:

Oyasumi Punpun
Sundome

These are both excellent recs

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

So my wife doesn't watch a ton of anime and I don't try to talk her into it but now and then she's asked to give something a go.

She's pretty particular about what she'll get into, so far some stuff that she's liked a ton has been:

The Disastrous Life of Saki-K
Way of the Househusband

Stuff she liked OK:

FMA Brotherhood
Wave: Listen to me

So, kinda the fast paced sillier side of stuff I guess? I can't say I have really watched a ton of that kind of thing so I don't know what really shines given that. I was thinking of Mob Psycho 100 and Komi Can't Communicate to see what she thought but looking for other stuff.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Finished "Odd Taxi". I found enjoyable, but the last couple of episodes weren't as good as the beginning. I found it too unrealistic how Odokawa was plotting against all of these high level mob figures right under their noses and they barely suspected anything for the most part. I did like the animal world and the tone of the show. Had mixed feelings about the twist. Don't recall too much foreshadowing with that.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was revealed in episode 1

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Finished "Odd Taxi". I found enjoyable, but the last couple of episodes weren't as good as the beginning. I found it too unrealistic how Odokawa was plotting against all of these high level mob figures right under their noses and they barely suspected anything for the most part. I did like the animal world and the tone of the show. Had mixed feelings about the twist. Don't recall too much foreshadowing with that.

There was a lot. Including, but not limited to how Odokawa was able to ID people at a glance, which kept shocking people. If they were actually those animals, then "That's a gorilla" would make spotting someone in a crowd much easier.

And Odokawa was continually shown to be quick thinking and savvy, while most people just wrote him off since he's short, unambitious, and grouchy. There's nothing about him that says "smartest guy in the room" on the surface, and he pretended to go along with everyone jerking him around until he had a counterplay, so there was no clear warning sign until he had things in motion. (And even then, he screwed up and nearly got killed more than once.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

That Works posted:

So my wife doesn't watch a ton of anime and I don't try to talk her into it but now and then she's asked to give something a go.

She's pretty particular about what she'll get into, so far some stuff that she's liked a ton has been:

The Disastrous Life of Saki-K
Way of the Househusband

Stuff she liked OK:

FMA Brotherhood
Wave: Listen to me

So, kinda the fast paced sillier side of stuff I guess? I can't say I have really watched a ton of that kind of thing so I don't know what really shines given that. I was thinking of Mob Psycho 100 and Komi Can't Communicate to see what she thought but looking for other stuff.

Cromartie High School