Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
maybe we could bioengineer some kind of organ to filter out toxins from the body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

People with money didn't care about their lead poisoning. Why would they care about plastic poisoning. They're too busy chasing teenager blood and cryonics

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

The Wisest Moron posted:

If it helps you feel better you can almost certainly find a tea brand that just uses paper bags.

the paper will probably be half plastic

or the tea leaves will be entirely plastic, the only sane solution is to whip out that stovetop still with the copper pipes from college and distill yourself a nice warm glass of moonshine unflavored water

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
DISTILLED WATER AND PURE GRAIN ALCOHOL!

WE'VE KNOWN ABOUT THIS SINCE THE EARLY 60s AT THE LEAST PEOPLE

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Complications posted:

the actual reality:

we discover a perfect habitable planet 6,000 light years away

we load maybe a few people into generation ships with our best approximation of a closed system to live and work in

everyone dies within ten years because we have no idea how to do that

the actual reality:

We do nothing because it's too hard or someone else should do it or maybe it'll just happen on its own idk I'm busy making adverts for spellcheckers

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

The Wisest Moron posted:

Or something like a dialysis machine. Something that people with money could afford to do often.

unfortunately nanoparticles are really hard to move around once they’ve deposited somewhere. especially in you lungs or brain, along nerves.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
In the far future, lizard-man archeologists will be able to fully develop models of plastocene era human skeletons circulatory systems by studying the microplastic deposits.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

What's this about lead based wine sweetener?

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Raine posted:

sci-fi novel idea:

FTL travel invented

we abandon earth on a mass exodus to save humanity

as we get closer to our last hope, the composition of the atmosphere changes as the light years decrease

we arrive to a dead, toxic planet. ruins of an alien civilization cover the surface

this kind of like children of time

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
microplastics; how i learned to stop worrying and embrace my micropenis

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kater posted:

What's this about lead based wine sweetener?

quote:

Lead acetate, also known as sugar of lead, is a salt that (ironically) has a sweet flavor—a fairly unusual quality in poisons, which are more likely to taste bitter, signaling to the taster that they are unsafe for consumption. The ancient Romans used the compound—which they called sapa—to sweeten wine, and the aristocratic segments of the population could toss back as much as two liters a day (about three bottles’ worth, although wine was usually diluted with water).

dont worry we stopped using it....except in hair dye until 2018 when finally banned

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what's the counterargument to someone who says that the supply chain issues only started due to covid, and since worldwide pandemics are rare, you can't really blame the current system? i.e. once covid is "resolved" (lmao) things will be back to normal

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

maybe we could bioengineer some kind of organ to filter out toxins from the body

Heck why settle for one, we could have 2... even 3 if we double up on one of them just in case.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Real hurthling! posted:

dont worry we stopped using it....except in hair dye until 2018 when finally banned

It's good to know that we were hosed long before any of us were ever born

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

actionjackson posted:

what's the counterargument to someone who says that the supply chain issues only started due to covid, and since worldwide pandemics are rare, you can't really blame the current system? i.e. once covid is "resolved" (lmao) things will be back to normal

the current system is what's driving both the chance of catastrophic pandemic and climate change risk to 100%, and cannot ever "resolve" either except by going away.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's good to know that we were hosed long before any of us were ever born

milo and otis is one of the first things i remember watching. thanks for your user name

kater
Nov 16, 2010

That collapse economy oped is indulgent even for this thread.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Don’t worry, American politics is adapting to climate change!

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/magazine/2021/11/27/how-climate-migrants-are-roiling-american-politics-523295

quote:

But even relatively short moves can create political upheavals. About 37,000 people lived in the 240 square miles ravaged by the notorious Camp Fire in 2018, which burned for more than two weeks to become the most destructive wildfire in California history. California State University, Chico, used postal data to track 13,000 adults in the area and found that a third of those people — many with families in tow — headed 20 miles south and west to the city of Chico within six months of the blaze.

The migration added thousands of new voters to Chico, whose population swelled from roughly 93,000 to well over 111,000 in the three years since the fire, according to city records. But it also prompted a growing sense of alarm among longer-tenured residents. Karl Ory watched the repercussions firsthand. He was one of five liberals on the non-partisan seven-seat City Council when the influx began. In the following election, in which he wasn’t up for reelection, a conservative bloc flipped three liberal seats. By the time he stepped down soon afterwards, conservatives outnumbered liberals by 6-1.

The conservatives were driven in part by a new super PAC, Citizens for a Safe Chico, which spent more than $250,000 drawing attention to rising homelessness and havoc in the real estate market, among other issues.

“If you want to STOP the illegal camping and FIRES that come along with it, VOTE” for the conservative candidates to the board, the PA proclaimed on its Facebook page, amid photos of trash-strewn parks.

“People were upset,” Ory recalled. “Their whole lives changed. The opposition took advantage of that. We had more and more people coming to the [City Council] meetings. Very disruptive, very abusive, blaming us for everything.”

Liberals felt that the PAC was scapegoating the fire refugees, but it denied any such motive. Citizens for a Safe Chico, which did not reply to requests for comment, continues to call for crackdowns on the city’s homeless population. On its Facebook page, the group called the idea that the migration of Camp Fire refugees played any part in its campaign “an insult.”

“Political activists heavily invested in hiding the failures of the old regime are trying to deflect,” PAC leaders said on its website. “They want you to believe that under the tarps at Bidwell Park lie Camp Fire victims and local people who’ve simply fallen on hard times. They want you to believe that the new City Council is cruel, and they want to stop the council from fulfilling the promise of enforcement against professional transients. If you ask me, those protecting the old regime’s failed legacy are promoting a toxic level of compassion.”

Who says climate-blaming fascism is coming? It’s already here!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

actionjackson posted:

just buy loose leaf ffs it's easy as poo poo to make

Rime posted:

I wake up and stretch, in a bed filled with plastic fibers.

Get up, my feet touch a carpeted floor, made of plastic fibers.

Open the curtains, made of spun plastic fibers.

Put on some clothes, made of plastic fibers.

The water (filled with microplastics at the source) in my tap travels through kilometers of plastic piping and tubing. I brush my teeth with plastic fibers on a plastic handle.

Make some coffee / tea in a plastic kettle, mix in some honey from a plastic container.

Pour my breakfast oats out of a plastic bag.

Throw my lunch in a plastic container, into my backpack made of plastic, head out the door. Keycard is plastic, I've lost a couple.

Hop into my truck, cab decked out in plastic, turn on the cabin heater full blast.

Head off to work.

Grind a few dozen lbs of short-chain polymer resin into the air and watch it blow away on the breeze, smiling at a job well done.

Get "home", cook some dinner out of plastic packaging.

Chill out on my couch made of plastic.

Repeat the first few steps in reverse, settling down into my semi-plastic bed for a peaceful 8 hours of slumber.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! Another beautiful day on this glorious planet we call home, I'm sure. Glad I focus on living a clean healthy life!

#blessed.

:suicide:

edit:

Real hurthling! posted:

hmmm loose leaf tea or continuing to eat plastic...buddy i'll take the plastic!

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 18:18 on Nov 27, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hmmm loose leaf tea or continuing to eat plastic...buddy i'll take the plastic!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Trabisnikof posted:

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/magazine/2021/11/27/how-climate-migrants-are-roiling-american-politics-523295

What a really interesting article, thank you for sharing.

There's an ongoing theme in The Water Knife where the American southwest effectively breaks down into a conglomeration of feuding states. Arizona, Texas, and Louisiana are all hosed. Through federal legislation, the United States effectively permits various states, such as California, Nevada, or Colorado, the ability to set up border controls to prohibit climate refugees (American or not) from coming into their territories. This is done either by private militia or by state-specific National Guard with effectively no federal oversight whatsoever.

Wonder if y'all will ever do anything like that.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

professional transients

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

kater posted:

That collapse economy oped is indulgent even for this thread.

I really hate the way that person writes.

Stop bolding and italicising poo poo godammit. Look at this. I don't need you to highlight your own screed

quote:

And if it sounds weirdly apocalyptic, that’s because it is. It’s way, way more than a “supply chain crisis.” It is the single greatest period of economic rupture and dislocation in human history. We are the first global civilization — and we’ve now hit our economic limits.

And stop asking questions and answering them like some smug bitch with all the knowledge

Just tell me info like a normal person

quote:

Why? For a very simple reason, that you can see everywhere — if you look.

quote:

As climate change hits north of 2 degrees? 3? It’s lights out, my friends.

quote:

But in a decade or two? Even the basics will be hit, badly, by the collapse economy.

quote:

How does fascism rise? When societies grow suddenly, sharply poorer. Uh oh

quote:

What else does sudden and sharp poverty do, apart from swing people hard right? It changes social attitudes

quote:

What happened? They fell into sudden, sharp poverty, through underinvestment.

quote:

What do I mean by that? We now face an age of supply shocks. One after the next

And finally - and this goes for all you loving article writers - stop inventing terms and them welcoming me to them

quote:

*opening paragraph*

Welcome to the collapse economy.

:argh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I really hate the way that person writes.

Stop bolding and italicising poo poo godammit. Look at this. I don't need you to highlight your own screed

And stop asking questions and answering them like some smug bitch with all the knowledge

Just tell me info like a normal person

thank you. i've been linked several articles by this jagoff and they're all like this

read the one about the afghanistan pullout for some real comedy

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Trabisnikof posted:

"A toxic level of compassion"

It will never not be disturbing just how much these lizards have emptied themselves of anything resembling basic human empathy and how blatantly they show it off.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Homeless Friend posted:

folks... we gotta do something about this

This is an anti-communist lie.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Food $200m
Infrastructure $150m
Housing $800m
The Rich $3,600t
Social Services $150m
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my planet is dying

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Raine posted:

Food $200m
Infrastructure $150m
Housing $800m
The Rich $3,600t
Social Services $150m
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my planet is dying

give the rich $1300m more they'll trickle it down to deserving responsibly unlike those profligate poors

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This is an anti-communist lie.

Cuba is at 1.1 earths and Vietnam is 1.4.

DPRK holding strong at 0.5 earths, we could all learn a lot from Juche!

https://www.overshootday.org/how-many-earths-or-countries-do-we-need/

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Raine posted:

Food $200m
Infrastructure $150m
Housing $800m
The Rich $3,600t
Social Services $150m

Sure. Gonna need some big cuts to housing and social services to start.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Shyrka posted:

Cuba is at 1.1 earths and Vietnam is 1.4.

DPRK holding strong at 0.5 earths, we could all learn a lot from Juche!

https://www.overshootday.org/how-many-earths-or-countries-do-we-need/

Point to me by way of DPRK, yippee. Really though the lie is extended in a really sick way by the idea that a country's output is the most relevant measure, too. What does this study tell me about MAREZ? Why should I think of MAREZ as part of Mexico? I don't and I never will. Aboriginal lands are not Australian lands, First Nations lands are not American land, etc etc.

Edit: I'm not saying either that national measurements have no value but the idea contained in this is that everyone is equally responsible (lie) and that there aren't any sustainable practices that facilitate human flourishing (lie).

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

IAMKOREA posted:

plastocene era

I like it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

kecske posted:

I like it

Me too new thread title imo

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Trabisnikof posted:

"a toxic level of compassion"

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

my dad is a kindof bored/retired 'news' addict in the sense that he has like 4 or 5 different news apps on his phone that constantly push him notifications and he's constantly reading a handful of dumb sites and asking me if i heard about some dumb poo poo a celeb or politician said

mentioned vancouver this week... he had no idea. the atmospheric rivers, the mudslides, the flooding, the gas and oil pipelines, the store shelves, none of it. not one iota of "a major first world north american city is turbo hosed right now" had made it to him through all the major news site apps.

but then he knew about nu (later in the day named omicron) before I woke up that morning.

just a facinating test case in how collectively the news-media to infotainment junkie pipeline completely filters out climate change stuff

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 01:42 on Nov 28, 2021

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
(billowibg wildfire) orange sky… bad

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Homeless Friend posted:

Orange sky at night, pulmonologist's delight!

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
i'm giggling like a loving moron over "How does fascism rise? When societies grow suddenly, sharply poorer. Uh oh"

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Homeless Friend posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvqX_1gCd4g

i thought the song title was a misspelling or a joke until i googled what the bortle scale is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Emergency alert just popped up on my phone. Who’s ready for more catastrophic flooding in and around the Vancouver BC area?! This is just south of the border in Washington State, for those who aren’t familiar with the area.

Only registered members can see post attachments!