Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Yeah man, its weird that they didn't do a murderous innkeeper in episode 3 that rand and mat encounter

There's kind of a difference between wanting to destroy time and wanting to steal a flute and a sword

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

buffalo all day posted:

dunno if anyone here watched the last kingdom (u should btw because it owns), but Thom’s actor has a great part in it, basically playing Roose Bolton’s Viking equivalent. Definitely has me hype for him here.

I have! God I love that show. It's such a historical nerd-out I love everything about it. Even just for linguistic reasons, seeing how carefully they wove the clash of Scandinavian and Germanic cultures into the texture. My favorite moment of the whole thing is in Season 2 when Uhtred (the half-Dane protagonist) has just liberated Hild (a Saxon nun who wants to become a fighter) to join his crew, and she says "I want you to teach me sword-craft". And he says "Fine, but we call it sword-skill" :dance:

Rarity posted:

Never gonna happen but for me Graendal will always be Angelina Jolie

Nah that's Graendal's mother

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Data Graham posted:

I see what you did there. :golfclap:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rarity posted:

Never underestimate a goon's ability to take things literally and be pedantic

He is physically lit up and puts his hand up before his eyes in reaction to a bright light. This is before any wounds get healed. The show is making it literal.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I would imagine she's just a Ta'veren in the TV show which is what he's seeing. Since he's presumably not going to see Rand as a shining star in this run through it's introducing his ability and confusing the issue of who is the dragon reborn.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

I would imagine she's just a Ta'veren in the TV show which is what he's seeing. Since he's presumably not going to see Rand as a shining star in this run through it's introducing his ability and confusing the issue of who is the dragon reborn.

there's trailer footage of him in a cage going through tar valon and laughing like crazy, i bet that's him seeing rand like he does in the book in caemlyn

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is the take I had

Edit: maybe he sees Rand compared to Nynaeve in Tar Valon and realizes the truth?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CainFortea posted:

He is physically lit up and puts his hand up before his eyes in reaction to a bright light. This is before any wounds get healed. The show is making it literal.

https://twitter.com/sarahenakamura/status/1464417339609210883

it is what it is :shrug:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I have! God I love that show. It's such a historical nerd-out I love everything about it. Even just for linguistic reasons, seeing how carefully they wove the clash of Scandinavian and Germanic cultures into the texture. My favorite moment of the whole thing is in Season 2 when Uhtred (the half-Dane protagonist) has just liberated Hild (a Saxon nun who wants to become a fighter) to join his crew, and she says "I want you to teach me sword-craft". And he says "Fine, but we call it sword-skill" :dance:

Apparently the fighting and battle tactics of that show is hella nonhistorical according to some battle historian reviewing movies on YouTube. Still better than Vikings tho

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Shageletic posted:

Apparently the fighting and battle tactics of that show is hella nonhistorical according to some battle historian reviewing movies on YouTube. Still better than Vikings tho

vikings was more entertaining

speaking of vikings, one of the kings was a warder in the latest episode

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Why am I having the overwhelming urge to go into r/whitecloaks and follow up every tearsodden rant about strong female characters with "I win again, Lews Therin"?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Jedit posted:

Why am I having the overwhelming urge to go into r/whitecloaks and follow up every tearsodden rant about strong female characters with "I win again, Lews Therin"?

I would hit em with every rant from the Lews Therin Telamon bot from r/WetlanderHumor that thing is golden

https://old.reddit.com/user/LewsTherinTelamonBot/comments/

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rarity posted:

Anyone missing Book Lan can be reassured that we'll definitely see Daniel Henney going full Book Lan when Moiraine dies

Ha. I was laying in bed this morning thinking about how I really would prefer they not do that.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I wonder how they're going to do Rand's power reveal after the Nynaeve fakeout. They're clearly going to have to make the big reveal much more awesome and higher-stakes (so we probably won't see him channel lightning just to kill a few people in an inn).

I'm thinking they set up the candlelight to the sun comparison between Logain and Nynaeve early to make the comparison between Nynaeve and Rand more impressive later. Having Rand go super saiyan and kill an entire army of trollocs at the Eye of the World would be a really cool reveal and end to the season but it would also be a bad start for the series as a whole.

It would probably be easier to cut the well of saidin out entirely rather than have to explain to the audience next season that he's not really that powerful and doesn't even know how to channel.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah This is where I was going to go next—people that read the books can interpret it a couple ways. it’s very similar to the line about seeing Rand.

Like the dagger sickness, works neatly to help muddy the waters re:whodragon for the newbies and keep the oldies on tilt. Good poo poo imo. Though we know about the dagger so the wrinkle to me will be more about how he gets healed, Thom said “we have to keep him away from Aes Sedai” and I laughed out loud

Also if I was Logs I’d be like “wow Moiraine what a coincidence that the dragon seems to be right here, after saying that poo poo to me like two seconds ago“

Brolander fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 27, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i could see moiraine saying next episode that she can tell nynaeve isn't the dragon based on some reasons or another, but also pointing out that she's got the potential to be incredibly powerful or whatever

realistically they probably can't carry it on for too long considering the condensed timeline in this season

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Basically all of my childhood/high school/college friends are picking up the books now despite me having described the entire series to them over and over again when they would tell me that they'll never read the wheel of time. Hopefully everything fell out of their brain so they can experience this mostly spoiler free.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

RC Cola posted:

Basically all of my childhood/high school/college friends are picking up the books now despite me having described the entire series to them over and over again when they would tell me that they'll never read the wheel of time. Hopefully everything fell out of their brain so they can experience this mostly spoiler free.

Oh I'm sure they weren't paying much attention at all. I'd described some of the basics of the world to my gf several times leading up to show release and they must have gone in one ear and out the other because she's asking about them now that she's into it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Shageletic posted:

the Darkfriend talking about the Wheel being unfair.

The way I see it, everybody joins up with the Dark One for their own reasons. Some do it because they think the DO's victory is inevitable so why not be on the winning side, some do it for revenge against a world they think has treated them unfairly, and some do it because they really reallly really hate Lews Therin Telamon.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I honestly don't see how people even read Reddit. I went on there because people were like " Oh there are WOT leaked photos of Loial" and its total loving trash to read.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Imagine if you had to read every full thread of a reply on Twitter before you could move on to see the next reply. What a website.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

How are u posted:

Oh I'm sure they weren't paying much attention at all. I'd described some of the basics of the world to my gf several times leading up to show release and they must have gone in one ear and out the other because she's asking about them now that she's into it.

My wife knew Nynaeve was alive because she remembered her name. That's it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rewatching episode 1, i wonder if it's supposed to be meaningful that Laila is using a hammer while Perrin is using an axe against the trolloc

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Rewatching episode 1, i wonder if it's supposed to be meaningful that Laila is using a hammer while Perrin is using an axe against the trolloc

Not sure if it's significant or not but he was pounding her with a hammer in the ep 4 nightmare sequence.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You can collapse replies. So there's someone saying something particularly stupid that you don't want to read you just click the little line and that entire reply chain is hidden

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

Given Perrin's entire arc in the books is all about the axe vs the hammer and then the next episode has Mat give Perrin a knife that is a TOOL not a weapon, it would be really loving weird if that wasn't intentional

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I guess I'm more wondering what the meaning is. My first impression of Leila was "this girl is a darkfriend" and i dont think that matches the hammer motif

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Random thought: Faile should be trans

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
But he said 'shining like the sun' or whatever? Makes no sense, or have I missed something

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

El Grillo posted:

But he said 'shining like the sun' or whatever? Makes no sense, or have I missed something

Moiraine had just said that phrase, Logain has healed (king of ghaldean) so he knows that healing normally isn’t accompanied by a big blast of air, debris, and saiyan braids, and normally can’t heal a whole room of people of fatal wounds at once so maybe he was like “oh THAT sun” and furthermore…

Nah it should have been “he sees ta’veren” or something this is just confusing

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
It could also be that the 11,000 notes from Amazon include "do this and we don't care what the 'loremaster' has to say about it".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Episode written by Dave Hill of GoT fame.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

https://twitter.com/sarahenakamura/status/1464408095979819010?s=21

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

interpreting "loremaster" as "parliamentarian"

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Hexel posted:

I would hit em with every rant from the Lews Therin Telamon bot from r/WetlanderHumor that thing is golden

https://old.reddit.com/user/LewsTherinTelamonBot/comments/

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

El Grillo posted:

Seeing the weaves =/= seeing what the weaves did. Her weaves resulted in a blast of power including light, wind and healing all of which Logain can see.

Edit: Yep

https://twitter.com/sarahenakamura/status/1464420564420861953?s=20
https://twitter.com/sarahenakamura/status/1464690454536994819?s=20

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I forgot how hard Knife of Dreams pops off. LTT taking control and absolutely wrecking a Trolloc army, shortly followed by The Golden Crane.

C'mon, show. Last long enough for us to see these moments.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I really don't care whether Logain saw the weaves or not cause it was a freaking cool moment and that's what matters

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Rarity posted:

I really don't care whether Logain saw the weaves or not cause it was a freaking cool moment and that's what matters

book nerds gonna book nerd

it was a made for tv moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I suspect we get the glow of saidar once Nynave and Egwene actively become channelers so that the audience learns about it when they do.