Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I lather myself in old bay crab salt nightly so I’m basically immortal at this point.

Hey stop stealing my ideas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

piL posted:

Just mainlining Old Bay like a Marylander

Edit:

:crabdrugs:

It's good stuff.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I lather myself in old bay crab salt nightly so I’m basically immortal at this point.

Are you though?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
He's more crab than man, twisted and evil.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

So there's another debt ceiling extension predicted to expire Dec 3rd (next Friday). That means another shitfest about a possible government shutdown during <*waves hand across the landscape*> all this.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Woof Blitzer posted:

He's more crab than man, crunchy and delicious

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Lake of Methane posted:

So there's another debt ceiling extension predicted to expire Dec 3rd (next Friday). That means another shitfest about a possible government shutdown during <*waves hand across the landscape*> all this.

I'm confident our political leaders will do all they can to ensure our nation is in the best shape possible to face any challenges going forward :)

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If someone could pass the NDAA so I can have a loving budget to buy poo poo that would be great, thanks.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Woof Blitzer posted:

If someone could pass the NDAA so I can have a loving budget to buy poo poo that would be great, thanks.

Next SECDEF: Marie Kondo?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Best Friends posted:

Modern democracy just can't handle viral pandemics imo. Everyone is too atomized, you can't reach everyone with information. You can't make people get vaccinated. Not every person on Earth can have their government afford vaccination in a market-based, closed IP system. And capitalism likes fostering far right movements and parties that will inherently agitate against any mass action, even ones that don't impede capital, like masks, let alone making meaningful shut downs impossible.

Some fringe people in Western Europe aside, pretty much everyone in developed democratic states outside of the US accepted necessary public health measures. East Asia especially shows that "modern democracy" and limitations on "freedom" in the name of public health can coexist.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Let's be real, if the variant was sequenced in RSA roughly two weeks ago, that means it's been running around there for something around a month or two minimum before.

Trying to contain it to the continent would therefore have been futile way before it even got identified.

It's more about "how do we deal with it" at this point (again), not so much about "how do we contain the spread".

It's gonna shove Delta off the throne like delta did with the British variant and like the British variant did with whichever milquetoast variant that came before it

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Some fringe people in Western Europe aside, pretty much everyone in developed democratic states outside of the US accepted necessary public health measures. East Asia especially shows that "modern democracy" and limitations on "freedom" in the name of public health can coexist.

It’s amuses me how right wing media has picked up on Australia and NZ as basically being freedomless hellscapes because they are functioning during a pandemic with center left leaders.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

It’s amuses me how right wing media has picked up on Australia and NZ as basically being freedomless hellscapes because they are functioning during a pandemic with center left leaders.

don't kid yourself

our media say the same thing :negative:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Australia is a freedomless hellscape but not because of covid it’s only if your a journalist and make their oil companies and/or intelligence agency angry.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Laughing at australian intelligence

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Australian PM is absolutely not centre left.

He's an empty suit from the right wing party and is in a weird elitist Christian cult.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

https://twitter.com/zatapatique/status/1464553159662215170?t=paDwLRPUGAJ8UcY9yO-plg&s=19

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It fits the pattern, the whole reason the Spanish Flu was called the Spanish Flu was because at the time Spain was the only country with a free enough press to report on this new disease that had come over from the US.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They need to stop this poo poo of reporting each country's first reported case(s) of Omicron and simply say "just assume this variant is in small pockets everywhere by now, because it probably is."

I'm also pissed that I only recently learned that Delta has a similar transmissibility to chickenpox, a factoid that should've been shouted from the rooftops because it's something people can grasp and process. Sure, assholes and idiots are going to conflate COVID and chickenpox as both being something to not worry about, but the more concise and clear the narrative is without being condescending, the better chance it has to stick.

Simply the fact that they're expressing such concern over this variant so close to the Almighty Number's most favorite and economically vital time of the year is giving me pause. The sun could explode and the message in the last eight minutes of our existence would still be to take advantage of the world's last "flash sale" as the shockwave blew apart the planet. For them to be sowing seeds of doubt and discord in the public during the Christmas shopping season ain't nothing.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 28, 2021

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
To the surprise of no one with half a brain,
https://twitter.com/ShibleyTelhami/status/1464552013514084358?t=tMed7pJAb-kM1VVlEqdU-A&s=19

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

That was such a low point. Hey if you make major concessions to reach a deal with the US it can get thrown out the window on a whim by someone who can’t find your country on a map, hope knowing that doesn’t make it much less likely for similar leaders to risk their necks dealing with the US in the future.

Hey, please don’t learn a lesson from how NK getting nukes but Libya not having them led to very different fates for their autocrats.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They need to stop this poo poo of reporting each country's first reported case(s) of Omicron and simply say "just assume this variant is in small pockets everywhere by now, because it probably is."

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

UK is back to wearing masks in shops and public transport from Tuesday.

Can't quite get my head around why Tuesday, why not just say "wear a mask from right now"?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Burt posted:

UK is back to wearing masks in shops and public transport from Tuesday.

Can't quite get my head around why Tuesday, why not just say "wear a mask from right now"?

I think the idea is that you don't want to enforce things without notice. Should people go ahead and wear a mask in those cases? Yes. If someone gets denied a critical service or working hours or gets the cops called on them because yesterday the rule was one way and today its another that might cause some social harm. Hopefully most people are already putting them on and asking their customers to do the same, and its about applicability of enforcement.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I didn't know where to put this
https://twitter.com/Spark898/status/1464790207392325636?t=esQIklCqYNnhMrkqGpncTw&s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

^^^^^^

That’s incredible.

Meanwhile, Israel has basically closed its borders for the next few weeks and is bringing back phone surveillance for COVID patients. I think the latter measure is a scarier sounding term for the kind of location based contract tracing that a lot of states have rolled out but I’m not sure.

As Big Headline was alluding to, the way governments are reacting to this thing- despite confirmation of increased transmissibility or lethality- is making me wonder whether they’re trying to get ahead of another delta-style outbreak (in which case it’s probably too late) or if they’ve got advance information suggesting this thing is really, really bad.

After two years of COVID, my reaction is just kind of “Aw goddamnit, not again.” in thinking about the inevitable return of mask mandates and restrictions- DC just lifted theirs last week, although there is considerable doubt as to whether the Mayor just moved the goalposts to allow her to drop it in time for Thanksgiving or not. I know we’re never going to “get rid” of COVID, but I wonder if humanity is actually going to tolerate living with it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

pantslesswithwolves posted:

but I wonder if humanity is actually going to tolerate living with it.

It's either that or it'll finish us.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's either that or it'll finish us.

It won't finish us, we will do that all on our own!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

pantslesswithwolves posted:

As Big Headline was alluding to, the way governments are reacting to this thing- despite confirmation of increased transmissibility or lethality- is making me wonder whether they’re trying to get ahead of another delta-style outbreak (in which case it’s probably too late) or if they’ve got advance information suggesting this thing is really, really bad.

It's more likely that they're getting the same information as we are - "hey this thing is heavily mutated in troublesome spots and that could mean increased spread/evasion/power over even Delta, but we don't really know yet, give us 1-2 weeks". Apparently it takes that long to grow the thing and test it against antibody lines and treatments/vaccines.

So we have a metric shitfuckton of data, but we have no idea what it means. Governments are playing things cautious until true data comes back, probably for internal political purposes to show that Stuff Is Being Done, even though travel bans are basically useless. Nobody knows anything for another week or two.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

ie
https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1464875309262680067?t=yH50MofbgfSWsNvEx7kU5w&s=19

(Suspect Dent is resident word expert person on two British gameshows called Countdown)

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 28, 2021

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1464966155379036160?s=21

Tight

https://twitter.com/tulsigabbard/status/1464897850114863107?s=21

Also tight.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

If only there was another group those IRS employees could target.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The IRS thing is just astounding. Does anyone who's not cheating on their taxes actually get harassed by the IRS? I made a legitimate mistake a few years back and handling it was the most reasonable experience imaginable, everything was well documented and the timeline was generous.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MRC48B posted:

If only there was another group those IRS employees could target.

She knows. She's a liar.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
People like Gabbard, Glenn Greenwald, Sinema, and Jill Stein are deliberately controlled opposition.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The IRS thing is just astounding. Does anyone who's not cheating on their taxes actually get harassed by the IRS? I made a legitimate mistake a few years back and handling it was the most reasonable experience imaginable, everything was well documented and the timeline was generous.

Yea, I can't imagine anyone making an honest mistake on taxes is worth while enough to harass and threaten. No idea what the line would be, but I doubt less than 8k in back taxes is enough for the IRS to put the screws to you.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
I'm a lot less sympathetic to "big bad irs" stories after I saw how much paper they are required to bury you in before they do literally anything else.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

We ended up owing some taxes from a couple years back, and they were VERY reasonable with us and friendly.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

People like Gabbard, Glenn Greenwald, Sinema, and Jill Stein are deliberately controlled opposition.

She's even worse than Alan Colmes at playing the "opposition" role
https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1463926754616111105

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

uhh if you click through to the article he's saying he thinks Qanon is a CIA false flag to distract weak minded fools with hanging around dealy plaza instead of taking up arms and doing his coup and he's very disappointed in his cowardly useful idiots

soo... no, not tight