Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Agrajag posted:

nice fake news there you brain dead sinophobe

The second tweet is from the Chinese consulate and portrays their point of view, surprised you were able to randomly slam some letters together into a quasi-coherent sentence you illiterate ape-man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

SorePotato posted:

Who cares loser, your spinning bowtie cannot lead me astray from Xi Jinping Thought. I live eternal in the people's heavenly army, while you, a CIA brain floating in a jar, are set to be replaced in two weeks

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Nonsense posted:

The Soloman Islands have had an extremely divisive history since World War 2, Japanese and American imperialism did not help things obviously, but those folks have had a real long beef with continentals of any stripe.

i admit i don't know everything but they definitely get the (australian) ABC there

there's also this: https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2011/09/solo-s14.html

quote:

WikiLeaks cables reveal US role in Australia’s “regime change” in Solomon Islands

The 2006 cables begin with the Solomon Islands’ elections in April, the first national vote that was held under the watch of the Australian-led intervention force, the Regional Assistance Mission to Solomon Islands (RAMSI).

In July 2003, the Australian government dispatched soldiers, federal police and officials to take over the Solomons’ state apparatus, including the police, courts, prisons, central bank and finance department. The US-backed RAMSI operation was part of Canberra’s drive to defend its economic interests and geo-strategic dominance in the South Pacific amid heightened concerns about the influence of rival powers, including China.

A lengthy cable dispatched on August 22, 2006, “RAMSI faces a bleak time,” pointed to Washington’s and Canberra’s contempt for the nominal sovereignty of the Solomons’ government. The US ambassador outlined proposals advanced by ministers in the Sogavare cabinet—including a constitutional change, legislative reforms to have “traditional communal concepts reinforced over private property” and a “rural development plan which would identify crops and industries appropriate to each micro-community rather than a national strategy”. Each was summarily dismissed as either too expensive or incompatible with “a key RAMSI concern, effectiveness of government.”

The colonial character of US-Australian activities in the South Pacific emerges clearly in a cable sent on September 13, titled “Solomon Islands: PM kicks Australia in the shin.” The dispatch reported on Sogavare’s expulsion of Australian High Commissioner Patrick Cole for his active collaboration with the parliamentary opposition as it worked to bring down the government. For Ambassador Fitts, there was no “rational political motivation for Sogavare’s action” and the expulsion was “a reflection of his personal (and rather adolescent) frustration over the large RAMSI role in Solomon decision making.”

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Lostconfused posted:

Someone post that Varoufakis video again.

crepeface posted:

so funny when a warren homunculus questions yanis varoufakis about china's debt traps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tJatdtv4jQ

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

SorePotato posted:

Who cares loser, your spinning bowtie cannot lead me astray from Xi Jinping Thought. I live eternal in the people's heavenly army, while you, a CIA brain floating in a jar, are set to be replaced in two weeks

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1463912143993114629

Lmfao

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

It has now surpassed the 2017 action flick “Wolf Warrior II,” which previously held the record for China’s highest-grossing movie, with $882 million in box office receipts.

drat, ok. Someone watch it and tell me if it's better than Wolf Warrior.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nice is it getting a US release?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Rutibex posted:

nice is it getting a US release?

Probably not, hope a subbed copy gets released though.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wrong, it's already here, supposedly.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/battle-at-lake-changjin-us-release-date-1235109494/

Edit: yep, it has two screenings at a local theater on Sunday.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 06:03 on Nov 28, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hell yes

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Wrong, it's already here, supposedly.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/battle-at-lake-changjin-us-release-date-1235109494/

Edit: yep, it has two screenings at a local theater on Sunday.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aHDj84CcsY

the trailer looks alright. I especially appreciate their casting for MacArthur

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

With everything going on in the world today, audiences just want a simple movie where the good guys win.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/fZPOnAj.mp4

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

oxalá

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
oh its a history movie. i thought it was like a modern day chinese tom clancy film :(

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
https://mobile.twitter.com/jessehawken/status/1464652559579115521

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

When was the last time the US army actually won something?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7R0QLTrT4E

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Chamale posted:

Mao's son was killed by an American bombing on November 25, 1950. Apocryphally, it happened while he was cooking egg-fried rice, hence the reference to the "North Korean optiion."

Is that what that's actually about what the gently caress lol

I assumed it was something about egg fried rice preventing a famine

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Grapplejack posted:

Is that what that's actually about what the gently caress lol

I assumed it was something about egg fried rice preventing a famine

yes it's an ongoing meme by dumbass nerds in taiwan, hk, etc that's made its way to dumbass nerds in europe and elsewhere, like most reddit-tier anti-china stuff

there's zero corroboration for the egg fried rice story, of course, but the accuracy isn't the point

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Not gonna lie: China makes awful movies.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

When was the last time the US army actually won something?

Panama?

Serbia?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Judakel posted:

If the Hong Kong protestors had set forth a platform of bringing back the golden age of HK action films then I would have personally flown over there and solo'd the PLA in order to make it happen.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Judakel posted:

There are good Chinese movies. The political ones are corny and over the top, and that's what people outside China hear about. But there are legitimately good Chinese movies like, I always recommend 狗十三, I thought it was really well made and honest.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what exactly is it supposed to mean when someone says a chinese movie is political is there any non arbitrary definition by which you could claim a chinese war movie is political but literally any random war movie from any other country isnt

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Some Guy TT posted:

what exactly is it supposed to mean when someone says a chinese movie is political is there any non arbitrary definition by which you could claim a chinese war movie is political but literally any random war movie from any other country isnt

Jesus Christ dude...

No, it's not some thing where there's like a bechdel test for politics stuff. Just watch whatever you wanna watch.

Also yes war movies from other countries are like 99% building a political narrative.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

BrainDance posted:

There are good Chinese movies. The political ones are corny and over the top, and that's what people outside China hear about. But there are legitimately good Chinese movies like, I always recommend 狗十三, I thought it was really well made and honest.

i recently saw 钢的琴 and liked it, although it’s 10 years old. same with 气球, a 2019 movie about 80s tibet

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

an elephant sitting still came out just a few years ago, it's very stupid to think china only puts out the big blockbusters

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there like a Netflix for China so I can watch all of this stuff

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I usually don't like like sentimental or romance movies but "The Road Home/我的父亲母亲" is the only movie that ever made me cry, even 20 years later

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HendU4zRg9A

Really interesting interview with a historian about the rising conflict between the US and China. He notes at one point that the US has hosted 18 war games simulating a war with China over Taiwan and the US has lost in all 18

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aHDj84CcsY

the trailer looks alright. I especially appreciate their casting for MacArthur

I never paid attention to this movie. But it looks like a properly made expensive action war movie.

When was the last time Hollywood made a war movie with Large scaled battle scene?

The only thing I can think of recently is Brat Pitt tank movie Fury. But it has long stretch of quiet civilian scenes. I would call it a mid budget war movie.

Oh yeah there is that one-take war movie 1917 which is again focus on small battles.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

stephenthinkpad posted:

I never paid attention to this movie. But it looks like a properly made expensive action war movie.

When was the last time Hollywood made a war movie with Large scaled battle scene?

The only thing I can think of recently is Brat Pitt tank movie Fury. But it has long stretch of quiet civilian scenes. I would call it a mid budget war movie.

Oh yeah there is that one-take war movie 1917 which is again focus on small battles.

IIRC The Departed was a crappier remake of Infernal Affairs at 10x the budget

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Dunkirk, but most of the battles are CGI planes if I remember right.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Americans can only make large scale battles in Civil War movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there like a Netflix for China so I can watch all of this stuff

iqiyi