Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Whiz Comics #38 (1942)

Exiles Annual #1 (2007)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dareon posted:

I know that's an edit, but we were all thinking it. :gaz:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Keromaru5 posted:

Not sure about Catholic or Episcopalian, but Orthodox priests will bless just about anything you ask them to.

Eons ago, when I was teaching at a Catholic school, a priest to,d me a story about how he once blessed a broken-down old school bus to put people's minds at ease

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's exceptions but if I was any sort of religious figure (priest, reverend, rabbi etc.) that blessed other objects regularly I wouldn't have a problem blessing almost anything.

Like I wouldn't bless someone's gun, even if they were a hunter who I regularly ate venison with, but absolutely no issues blessing a water heater.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Admiralty Flag posted:

Eons ago, when I was teaching at a Catholic school, a priest to,d me a story about how he once blessed a broken-down old school bus to put people's minds at ease
…put them at ease about what? That it wouldn’t start driving itself?

Confused Enormatons
Apr 12, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Whiz Comics #38 (1942)

Exiles Annual #1 (2007)

Ignignokt: Loverboy has always sucked.

Carl: Oh no they don't! I saw them back in '85 at Madison Square, and they kicked rear end!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

Maybe that it wouldn't plunge into a gorge, to the delight of news services everywhere

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Skwirl posted:

There's exceptions but if I was any sort of religious figure (priest, reverend, rabbi etc.) that blessed other objects regularly I wouldn't have a problem blessing almost anything.

Like I wouldn't bless someone's gun, even if they were a hunter who I regularly ate venison with, but absolutely no issues blessing a water heater.

BSS > Post Funny Panels: Absolutely no issues blessing a water heater!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you laugh, but blade has that done to his arsenal every sunday

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oct, 4th is also the sorta official St Francis Blessing of the Animals day and many Catholic churches will have priests bless everyone's pets that day.

Also, well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUBiwi3QsaY

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’d imagine any problems Bruce had getting someone to bless a boiler would be solved by buying the church a new bell tower

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Retro Futurist posted:

I’d imagine any problems Bruce had getting someone to bless a boiler would be solved by buying the church a new bell tower

"Mister Wayne, your donation was very generous, but we've seen the plans, and... aren't the gargoyles a little excessive? We're out in the suburbs, after all."

"The gargoyles are non-negotiable, Father."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

(the bell tower is also full of surveillance equipment and acts as a router for BatNet)

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Kalli posted:

Oct, 4th is also the sorta official St Francis Blessing of the Animals day and many Catholic churches will have priests bless everyone's pets that day.

Wait, are you telling me Toodle Day from Tom Goes to the Mayor actually has a real-world inspiration or at least sort-of counterpart?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Retro Futurist posted:

It's Batman. He probably went through seminary and had himself ordained just in case he might need divine help to fight crime someday.

ManiacClown posted:

Wait, are you telling me Toodle Day from Tom Goes to the Mayor actually has a real-world inspiration or at least sort-of counterpart?

The Blessing of the Animals is a major annual event at St. John the Divine in NYC because people bring in everything you can think of. Cats and dogs, turtles, birds, lizards, livestock (which has included horses, cows, camels, llamas, and alpacas), fish, insects, and even weirder -- someone once brought a test tube full of bacteria for a blessing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Selachian posted:

It's Batman. He probably went through seminary and had himself ordained just in case he might need divine help to fight crime someday.

To be fair, getting ordained is really easy since the Universal Life Church exists.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
blessing any and everything at the drop of the hat is only a big deal when vampires exist.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

To be fair, getting ordained is really easy since the Universal Life Church exists.
Pretty sure getting ordained in the ULC doesn't include training for making holy water.

I should know, I'm ordained in the ULC lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How much to bless my water heater mate?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ragle Gumm posted:

Check out

(originally posted in Q&A).

I liked how she carefully ripped her fishnet stockings to get the precise wholes she wanted and how she carefully picked the goofiest skull she could find to make jewelry out of.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

House of Mystery #42 (1955)

Impulse #85 (2002)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alhazred posted:

I liked how she carefully ripped her fishnet stockings to get the precise wholes she wanted and how she carefully picked the goofiest skull she could find to make jewelry out of.
She's the lead singer for a punk band, that stuff's important.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Darthemed posted:

The bus was broken-down in the sense that it was old and finicky but would still run; the blessing was so it wouldn't crap itself out while on a field trip or whatever. If I had to guess it was that a broke Catholic school couldn't afford a new one and had to keep the bus of Theseus running by repairing exactly what they could afford when it needed to be fixed

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Selachian posted:

Just before nerve-pinching two thugs into sleepytime he whispers between them "I now pronounce you legally wed."

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

X-Men Unlimited Infinity Comic #10

Issue #11 also has a bunch of great Sauron bits.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uthor posted:

That looks like some sort of Bergmann or whatever, not a Mauser? But then I'm not a gun guy so :shrug:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
He tells you the acronum right there! It could be a water pistol and it's stoll ba a MAOSer.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Uthor posted:

Lmao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That looks like some sort of Bergmann or whatever, not a Mauser? But then I'm not a gun guy so :shrug:

that is, very specifically, a Bergmann 1896

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Batman Urban Legends #8

Yeah Batman, don't be ridiculous

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

blessing any and everything at the drop of the hat is only a big deal when vampires exist.

Wasn’t there a bit in the 90s Vampirella comic where she had a priest bless a rain cloud that was above some vampire stronghold?

As a recovered Catholic, I will tell you that priests will bless literally anything you ask them to. One of the most popular things to buy at Ohio flea markets was always the “Jesus blessing a semi” picture. One trucker that used to frequent my pharmacy not only had the picture, but had a priest bless his own semi AND the picture that he kept in the semi.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

FFT posted:

Pretty sure getting ordained in the ULC doesn't include training for making holy water.

The easy solution is to be a Discordian. You don't need training if there's no procedure!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

FFT posted:

what training? Holy water is water blessed by a priest. You're a priest. Go bless some water. Poof, holy water!

Them's the rules

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ManiacClown posted:

The easy solution is to be a Discordian. You don't need training if there's no procedure!

There's the risk of having to settle a lot of wrongful injury cases on all the people making violent jack-off motions at you when you say you are a Discordian.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Discord SUXX. Just use IRC.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

what training? Holy water is water blessed by a priest. You're a priest. Go bless some water. Poof, holy water!

Them's the rules

I got a Priest to bless the Ocean about a decade ago, so all water is holy by now.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Discord SUXX. Just use IRC.

Ah, I see you are a member of the Church of Later Day IRCians.

Not me though. Though in my youth I did used to preach the Gospel according to AIM.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

blessing my dick to piss on vampires

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

blessing my dick to piss on vampires

Sorry but blessing dicks to kill stuff is Satan's department, if God blessed your dick you would just keep having kids to replace the ones you lost. I think that was the moral of Job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

The robot made out of percussion instruments and old cans of SPAM is more qualified to be an Avenger than Spidey

Spidey is only slightly more useful than a pile of fermented bok choy

Hey, Spidey got invited to be a member of the Avengers twice! I was always kind of disappointed as a kid that they didn't do more with that.

IIRC the first time he turned them down because he preferred working on his own -- I don't have that issue, but it's referenced in a few places in the ones I do have. A few years later, when the Avengers are looking for new members, Thor invites him to try out; he's flattered but still lukewarm on the idea. Then a few issues later (#235) he finds out in a conversation with Shulk that being an Avenger is a salaried position, $52k/year (about $140k today) + room and board at Avengers Mansion if you want it. Since, being Spider-Man, he's in dire straights financially, he decides that maybe learning to work in a team is worth it for that kind of financial security.

In the next two issues he tries to follow up on Thor's offer, but they're in a rush to deal with poo poo going down at Project Pegasus -- so he stows away on the Quinjet and ends up helping them deal with a lava-man invasion, four escaped supervillains, and an impending nuclear meltdown. Cap offers to bring him on as a probationary member, and he accepts, but when they're doing the paperwork back at Avengers Mansion their contact with the feds flips his poo poo at the idea of everyone's favourite threat and/or menace joining the Avengers. Cap offers to go to bat for him, but Spidey decides that it's not worth getting into a fight with the federal government about and leaves.

The whole Spidey/Avengers teamup at Project Pegasus was a favourite of mine when I was a kid and I always wondered how things would have played out if he'd taken them up on their original offer, or if he'd decided it was worth fighting for in #237.