Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

tuyop posted:

Hi! I’m looking for a recommendation for a complicated co-op board game. Like something between Gloomhaven and Pandemic, for 2 players mainly. We like engine building games and automata modes as well.

Any of those that are particularly complex and interesting?

Yeah, you want Spirit Island. Modular difficulty and complexity, GOAT status coop and overall board game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/162886/spirit-island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, you want Spirit Island. Modular difficulty and complexity, GOAT status coop and overall board game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/162886/spirit-island

Oh hell yeah that looks perfect, thanks!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

tuyop posted:

Hi! I’m looking for a recommendation for a complicated co-op board game. Like something between Gloomhaven and Pandemic, for 2 players mainly. We like engine building games and automata modes as well.

I guess I also found in various lists these games:

Forbidden Island
Robinson Crusoe
TIME stories
The Captain is Dead
Under Falling Skies (not sure how this is co-op but people say it’s fun)

Robinson Crusoe is probably the most complex of that bunch and it's got lots of add-ons and expansions. It's a game I initially disliked but have come around on. Not really about engine building in any way.

Spirit Island as said above is another chunky coop that might fit your niche. Being complicated and busy is sort of the point of Spirit Island, to resist easy solutions and alpha players.

Forbidden X is on the simplest end of the scale. I like the Captain is Dead series but they're of moderate complexity only and best at larger numbers of players, 3 or more, although you could take two characters each.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 27, 2021

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

My friends are nerds and we usually play Marvel Legendary. I'd like to find something else we can add that has a similar vibe, maybe cards maybe not. I'd like something with a lot of replayability and different scenarios, like Legendary has different heroes and villains that you can combine in a bunch of different ways. They didn't like Sentinels of the Multiverse, they said it was like Legendary but not as good. We also bounced off Gloomhaven, it was a little too fiddly with too much setup for us.

I should add that we try to do RPGs, but when someone doesn't show we usually end up with board games.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

tuyop posted:

I'm going to strongly recommend Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game if engine building extends to deck builders. As a game its biggest weakness are the very not great dead player mechanics, but with 2 players that's not really a problem. If you're going to be playing with other people regularly I'd recommend getting the Predators version instead; it's got the first two films done up in the same method as the Alien game for playing just the two of you, and the first two films again in a semi-coop very 3+ player friendly variant where you play as Predators trying to rack up the most kills.

Arkham Horror 3rd Edition and Call of Cthulhu: Death may Die are both good if Lovecraft is your bag.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Are the original two promo spirits for Spirit Island ever coming back into print? I signed up for a notification like a year ago. I’m not sure I’m all-in on Jagged Earth yet but I’d love to give the promo spirits a whirl.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cool Dad posted:

My friends are nerds and we usually play Marvel Legendary. I'd like to find something else we can add that has a similar vibe, maybe cards maybe not. I'd like something with a lot of replayability and different scenarios, like Legendary has different heroes and villains that you can combine in a bunch of different ways. They didn't like Sentinels of the Multiverse, they said it was like Legendary but not as good. We also bounced off Gloomhaven, it was a little too fiddly with too much setup for us.

I should add that we try to do RPGs, but when someone doesn't show we usually end up with board games.
Going to recommend Legendary Encounters: Predator again and Arkham Horror 3rd Edition again. 3rd is a massive jump in terms of fun and actual (rather then hypothetical) replayability over 2nd.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 27, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jewmanji posted:

Are the original two promo spirits for Spirit Island ever coming back into print? I signed up for a notification like a year ago. I’m not sure I’m all-in on Jagged Earth yet but I’d love to give the promo spirits a whirl.

if you mean promo pack one, it's in stock and on sale right now

https://greaterthangames.com/product/spirit-island-spirit-promo-pack-1/

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Cool Dad posted:

Marvel Champions is very good. I didn't feel like Marvel Legendary really felt like a superhero game at all but Marvel Champions definitely does.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

nonathlon posted:

Robinson Crusoe is probably the most complex of that bunch and it's got lots of add-ons and expansions. It's a game I initially disliked but have come around on. Not really about engine building in any way.

If you look at Robinson Crusoe as a group choose your own adventure activity it makes it a lot better than thinking of it as a game.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I like the theme of Robinson Crusoe. However, I find the amount of randomness relative to the complexity/fiddliness of the rules a significant flaw. You'll be wasting a lot of time learning and memorizing the rules, only for some scenarios to decide on a 50:50 card draw whether you encounter a very trivial event, or whether it'll leave your entire party near-dead at the beginning of the 2nd round. It can be a fun game, but I'm not convinced it's a well-designed one.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

djfooboo posted:

If you look at Robinson Crusoe as a group choose your own adventure activity it makes it a lot better than thinking of it as a game.

As a game it's a great paperweight.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

tuyop posted:

I guess I also found in various lists these games:

Forbidden Island
Robinson Crusoe
TIME stories
The Captain is Dead
Under Falling Skies (not sure how this is co-op but people say it’s fun)

For me, Spirit Island is the clear winner out of that list; I think it really ticks all the boxes you list there. Oh, and if you haven't already done the Pandemic Legacy games, they might be worth considering.

Meanwhile, Robinson Crusoe and T.I.M.E. Stories were both unanimously hated by my group - with TIME STORIES probably being our number one most hated game ever.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

if you mean promo pack one, it's in stock and on sale right now

https://greaterthangames.com/product/spirit-island-spirit-promo-pack-1/

Lol, so much for the email notification. Thank you so much for the tip!

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Jewmanji posted:

Lol, so much for the email notification. Thank you so much for the tip!

Same! Just ordered both promo packs.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yep, thanks for the heads up!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

tuyop posted:

Aeon's End isn't all that much more complicated than Pandemic, but across it's various versions and expansions there's a lot of variety. It's a co-op fixed-market deckbuilder where your deck isn't shuffled (just flipped), giving it a stronger engine-building feeling than typical deck-builders (though perhaps not as strong as you're looking for). The full game with all versions and expansions is on Tabletop Simulator if you want to try it out.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

djfooboo posted:

Why I bounced off it initially was the mechanical crunchiness of it. There's a lot of in your face overhead and bits to manage, which didn't sit well with the story element and, as said above, the randomness. When I replayed it with someone who knew the game backwards, the pressure was taken getting all the admin right, and I could focus on getting things done and the actual story. Certainly not a gamers game but a decent cooperative.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Soon:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshuastarr/shikoku-1889

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm getting it.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Hell yes I'm in.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all the recs, I found spirit island at the fifth(!) game store in the city and it was absolutely perfect. I really can’t wait to break out the intermediate parts of the game and give the adversaries and stuff a go. Totally rules.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Just played a solo game of Spirit Island on TTS (beginner setup, so no Adversary, Scenario or Blight Card; also Progression Powers). I ended up winning as Lightning! It's an amazing game and I can't wait to keep exploring it. Since I'm always very anxious about getting rules wrong while learning a game by myself, I was playing with a Rules Reference and the FAQ for commonly missed rules (plus all the automation from the mod). I did a trial run before actually sitting down to play "properly" and the only rules that tripped me up were:
- Energy stockpiling from one turn to another
- you only gain Energy up to the highest uncovered value in your player board, it's not added all together.
- Spirits have passive abilities, like Lightning's "make Slow cards Fast if you have air" Boy was that a gamechanger. :v:
- The Ocean edge of the map also adds explorers to the Explored areas if it's adjacent to them.

What are some good early game tips for the Growth action? At least with Lightning, I noticed uncovering more spaces in the track early on was very important. Best tip I found on BGG was to focus on where Invaders are doing what - don't worry about explorers who aren't going to build or towns that aren't going to damage the land.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Getting your Presence out into useful places (which also uncovers your tracks) is important initially, yeah.

Generally your first goal would be getting your energy and card plays up enough that you can play two powers every turn. Then you'll go hunting for more powers - pushing up to three powers/turn doesn't really help if you're going to be following that up with a 1-card turn, or if you'll need to be recovering cards constantly, so get more powers first. I often push up to the point where I have six or seven cards and make three plays a turn before I start thinking about majors.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Azran posted:

What are some good early game tips for the Growth action? At least with Lightning, I noticed uncovering more spaces in the track early on was very important. Best tip I found on BGG was to focus on where Invaders are doing what - don't worry about explorers who aren't going to build or towns that aren't going to damage the land.

Getting presence on the board is super good since it expands your range and increases your card play / energy gain. Some the most powerful spirits (eg Green, Keeper) are the ones which can slam down a lot of presence.

For most Spirits stopping ravages is not efficient. It can be okay to let some early ones happen (a point of blight here and there is not going to kill you) and it's much more economical to kill a lone invader before they build than deal with them after they've put down a town. This depends entirely on your Spirit though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
As the weekend winds down, I want to express my gratitude for this thread. The boardgame thread is my all time favorite thread, and I've been on forums since CompuServe in 1982. Sometimes folks I don't express myself well and for that I apologize. Know that I support and respect all of you. I support marginalized people, I believe in kindness, positivity and respect, and I apologize if I miss my goals, alrighty?:) For my family, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, we celebrate Gratitude day and so as part of that I'm letting you all know that I am eternally grateful.

Back to your Spirit Island discussion, a game I could never get into although I tried a number of times :).

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 28, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I really appreciate you being here!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The Trogdor game was surprisingly deep and would be perfect for any family with kids. Played it with friends for the first time this weekend. It was fairly easily "solved" for grownups, but was still way better than I had expected. It's fully coop, where each player has a character and item that each have a unique power for their turn controlling Trogdor to burninate everything while trying not to get smashed by knights.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 28, 2021

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How many scenarios does a typical Gloomhaven game run? I’ve finished about 25 of them but Kingdom Death is getting delivered Wednesday and I need to know if this situation is poopsockable.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

PRADA SLUT posted:

How many scenarios does a typical Gloomhaven game run? I’ve finished about 25 of them but Kingdom Death is getting delivered Wednesday and I need to know if this situation is poopsockable.

There's a handy flowchart on BGG that lets you take the critical path. 25 is, if I remember correctly, more than needed.

e: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143772/scenario-flowchart

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Aggro posted:

Same! Just ordered both promo packs.

Stickman posted:

Yep, thanks for the heads up!

Did either of you get an order confirmation email? I didn’t.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Jewmanji posted:

Did either of you get an order confirmation email? I didn’t.

I didn't get one either, but I did get an email when it was shipped.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does anyone know the "status" of Sleeping Gods? I ordered it almost ten months ago and haven't seen anything. Is it out of production? Backlogged? Waiting for a 2.0 fix? Anything?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm really grateful for this thread and the people in it, as well. I've gotten tons of great ideas / tips on stuff to pay attention to :sun:

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does anyone know the "status" of Sleeping Gods? I ordered it almost ten months ago and haven't seen anything. Is it out of production? Backlogged? Waiting for a 2.0 fix? Anything?

Last I checked they were hoping for the second printing to be available by end of year but weren't sure due to manufacturing and shipping delays.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just played Viticulture for the first time yesterday. I had lots of fun with it. Thinking about getting it for home, but wondering about how much fun it is with two players. (I can see it'll be good fun with three for when my daughter comes to visit and it'll be good to pull out when guests come over to play.) Worried that with two it might be an exercise in frustration in fighting over the single worker placement spot and switching off useful turns. Thoughts?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Admiralty Flag posted:

Just played Viticulture for the first time yesterday. I had lots of fun with it. Thinking about getting it for home, but wondering about how much fun it is with two players. (I can see it'll be good fun with three for when my daughter comes to visit and it'll be good to pull out when guests come over to play.) Worried that with two it might be an exercise in frustration in fighting over the single worker placement spot and switching off useful turns. Thoughts?

I haven't played it a ton but I haven't found it frustrating playing 2p. There are still a bunch of places to put your meeples and you always have your Grande worker if you really have to do a thing. Definitely more fun at 3 or more though. Like player order and the bonuses matter more.

I tried out the Spirit Island app. Turns out the base game with only 4 spirits are free to play ... For like 8 turns. So you can't actually finish a game without buying or subscribing to the full game. I also found it a bit frustrating switching between looking at innate powers and cards, and then between different spirits when playing solo looking for synergies. Lots of tapping going back and forth trying to remember every little detail of all the powers. They've done a good job with the UI, it can just never be the same as having all the information laid out in front of you on a table.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

The Spirit Island TTS mod is scripted up the wazoo and works really well once you get the hang of it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PRADA SLUT posted:

Groups typically run out of stuff to unlock around 60-80 scenarios. You can reach the final main story scenario much quicker than that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

dishwasherlove posted:

The Spirit Island TTS mod is scripted up the wazoo and works really well once you get the hang of it.

Being able to put down invaders/towns/cities by just pressing 1/2/3 was something I wish I could somehow replicate in the real world.