Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

On the other hand, I've stopped giving gifts unless it's Christmas or liquor because things backfired too often. Even knowing people well, I've given a gift and later found out it was offensive to them in some way because of something that happened in their life they hadn't yet had a chance to tell me.

I'm genuinely curious what gifts you've given that ended up being offensive later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Literally every culture with bread also had/has toast. You're dunking in Shibwanako who solely posts the dumbest low hanging fruit troll posts in this thread. Just absolute dogshit opinions no one would have to generate controversy.

the toaster at any hotel breakfast buffet is there only for the brits so they dont go all Oi wheres me toast??

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Mmm I’d love to put some peanut butter on those

Seriouspost: the tastes would absolutely not go together. But try it, if you don't believe me, a guy from Rye Country.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hardcordion posted:

"What do you want for your birthday/Christmas/whatever?" is a dumb question that defeats the purpose of gift giving.
Unless it's for a child, in which case the purpose of gifts is for them to get stuff they want since they don't have their own income to buy it for themself.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'm genuinely curious what gifts you've given that ended up being offensive later.
:same:

How is that something that's happened multiple times?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Atticus_1354 posted:

I gave someone https://www.amazon.com/Its-Book-Lane-Smith/dp/1596436069 and her husband https://www.amazon.com/All-My-Friends-Are-Dead/dp/0811874559 and she got hers first and we were laughing about both of them (they weren't wrapped). They are sarcastic, PG humor drawn like children's books.

When the husband got AMFAD he looked at a few pages and laughed, but someone else had come to visit so he put it away. We had Thanksgiving plans, traveling out of town. I got a letter afterwards that she didn't want me visiting for a while, wouldn't have me hurting her husband. She returned other things I had given as gifts. We were friends for ten years so we knew each other fairly well.

I found out later that the husband's father had died in the week or two before I had gifted the book.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

I had a friend who enjoyed conversations about philosophy, mathematics, physics, and they were really trying to grow reading both the popular stuff and the basics. I thought they'd enjoy some simpler pieces of game theory and game analysis so I gave them a simple classic puzzle (think Rubik's cube etc.). They accepted it with a look of seething rage and had the courage to admit on the spot that they hated it, never could solve it, etc. Let's just say we didn't conclude the discussion of the mathematical solution on that one.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

I've seen "gift escalation", and I'm not even in a sitcom. Find something rather unique, gift it, friend asks where you got it (or searches for it online), then they get a similar item for you (think categories like art pieces, kitchen gadgets, collectible series, etc.). This continues until you've exhausted ebay, the local shoppe, whatever has a selection of those items.

(Haha now I'm thinking of the relative/aunt/uncle who hears you say something is cute/adorable/cool and that's what you get every year for Christmas... fortunately I'm not on the receiving nor giving side of that right now.)

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

I gave someone https://www.amazon.com/Its-Book-Lane-Smith/dp/1596436069 and her husband https://www.amazon.com/All-My-Friends-Are-Dead/dp/0811874559 and she got hers first and we were laughing about both of them (they weren't wrapped). They are sarcastic, PG humor drawn like children's books.

When the husband got AMFAD he looked at a few pages and laughed, but someone else had come to visit so he put it away. We had Thanksgiving plans, traveling out of town. I got a letter afterwards that she didn't want me visiting for a while, wouldn't have me hurting her husband. She returned other things I had given as gifts. We were friends for ten years so we knew each other fairly well.

I found out later that the husband's father had died in the week or two before I had gifted the book.

That's a really loving weird thing for them to be offended by.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Annabel Pee posted:

That's a really loving weird thing for them to be offended by.

Yeah that's weird. It's not like you knew that his father had passed away, the gift was given in harmless good fun. It's too bad that your friend didn't recognize that.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I had a friend who enjoyed conversations about philosophy, mathematics, physics, and they were really trying to grow reading both the popular stuff and the basics. I thought they'd enjoy some simpler pieces of game theory and game analysis so I gave them a simple classic puzzle (think Rubik's cube etc.). They accepted it with a look of seething rage and had the courage to admit on the spot that they hated it, never could solve it, etc. Let's just say we didn't conclude the discussion of the mathematical solution on that one.

This is strange too, did they even attempt to slightly play around with it before declaring it too difficult?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

The Mighty Moltres posted:

This is strange too, did they even attempt to slightly play around with it before declaring it too difficult?
I don't remember, honestly. I think they took it out of the box and twidgeted with it a bit, but it seemed like they had given up in frustration in the distant past. Maybe they gave it to one of their kids. :confuoot:

I remember now, it was just a sliding tiles puzzle. At the very least it can be used as a fidget spinner. Who knows. When it comes to friends, I have luck in abundance... hiding off in a corner somewhere.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Get friends who aren't weird as gently caress

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
To be fair, I hated those tile puzzles as a kid and would have absolutely thrown it into a drawer never to be seen again once I got home.

I’m not a psychopath though, so I’d say I loved it and hugged my friend because they thought of me and got me something they thought I’d like.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Gaius Marius posted:

Get friends who aren't weird as gently caress
Step 1: Get rid of weird friends. COMPLETE!
Step 2: :smith:

phuo: Everyone was weird before 2020. Now everyone is weird and hosed up. :downsrim:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Wide-rule notebook paper is a travesty. College-rule is the one true line spacing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Powered Descent posted:

Wide-rule notebook paper is a travesty. College-rule is the one true line spacing.

-posted from the fifth grade

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Naw they're right. Wide rule is like wide roads, sounds good on paper, but is actually terrible on paper. Keeping it tight makes the handwriting more legible

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

Naw they're right. Wide rule is like wide roads, sounds good on paper, but is actually terrible on paper. Keeping it tight makes the handwriting more legible

Are all of y'all posting from bizarro world where anyone uses wide rule past elementary school, is the point of my post

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are all of y'all posting from bizarro world where anyone uses wide rule past elementary school, is the point of my post

I admit that this one has been lying dormant in my head for a very very long time until i was reminded of it earlier today. :)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Black Friday was hosed this year. There were barely any deals. People say ohh the cost of milk is going up, ohh gas is too expensive, shut up, no one cares. But Black Friday deals are one of the few things we get out of this lovely world, and this year they were few and far between and lovely. If there's any part of the economy the government should be concerned about, it's that. I want the president to directly address the lack of deals.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Powered Descent posted:

I don't believe this personally but... "Wide rule is perfect because you can fit two written lines between rules!" :buddy:

My actual opinion: Unruled paper is preferred. (But I'm also introducing a slight fallacy because notebook paper is too easily torn, 15#, and I'm giving a few points to 'copier paper' because it's 20# and works better with smaller lead sizes).

Whoa they actually sell Gregg ruled paper.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

Black Friday was hosed this year. There were barely any deals. People say ohh the cost of milk is going up, ohh gas is too expensive, shut up, no one cares. But Black Friday deals are one of the few things we get out of this lovely world, and this year they were few and far between and lovely. If there's any part of the economy the government should be concerned about, it's that. I want the president to directly address the lack of deals.

Stores don’t need to do Black Friday deals if they know people are going to come shopping anyways. The whole point of having deals is that they get people in the door and moving product, if people are already showing up and buying things anyways then sales are unnecessary.

Want a better Black Friday? Stop participating

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I will never acknowledge "Cyber Monday" as a real thing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It sure would be a shame if Black Friday was finally killed once and for all by the pandemic. Standing in line at Walmart at 4 am for deals is what the holidays are all about.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The best part about Black Friday is reading the articles about people being trampled to death for a $5 air fryer.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Stores don’t need to do Black Friday deals if they know people are going to come shopping anyways. The whole point of having deals is that they get people in the door and moving product, if people are already showing up and buying things anyways then sales are unnecessary.

Want a better Black Friday? Stop participating

I don't participate this year, there weren't any good deals!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Black Friday deals have been finely tuned by marketing algorithms for like a decade, and by useless MBA turds the decade before that

The $5 doorbuster air fryer was specifically made for that particular sale and is way lower quality than the one they are trying to pass it off as

The $100 55-inch tv is from a shenzhen seconds supplier and rebranded with an already sketchy brand name

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Manager Hoyden posted:

The $100 55-inch tv is from a shenzhen seconds supplier and rebranded with an already sketchy brand name

What are you talking about? I bought a Somy Olad TV from the back of a truck behind Big Lots for every room in my house, and it’s just as good as something you’d pay 10x as much for from Best Buy, as long as you don’t turn it on in southwesternly winds and keep the “advertising” cameras unobscured.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The cheap stuff is made in the same factories and from the same materials as the premium stuff. The different brands, prices, and labels are just marketing.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It sure would be a shame if Black Friday was finally killed once and for all by the pandemic. Standing in line at Walmart at 4 am for deals is what the holidays are all about.
phuo: I'm surprised it still has this racist name. It should be called "credit card Friday" or "debtors Friday" or maybe "tacky Friday", "cheapskate Friday", or even "Christmas tree day".

Also agreeing with the above poster, that "cyber Monday" and "cyber week" are dumm terms. Now if it was a week of coupons on traditional cyber, maybe they'd quadruple sales. :circlefap:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

phuo: I'm surprised it still has this racist name.

Please tell me this is a joke

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

phuo: this, my hometown's, is awful weather.

People will say it looks good while ignoring the eight months where it was regularly above 30/90. Winter is good. I like wearing jackets. I like being able to go outside without immediately getting sweat stains.

Also, I could piss and be in Santa Fe. We used to get real winters and snow. This is not natural. This is the planet being dead. Warm winter sucks rear end in every possible way.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hardcordion posted:

"What do you want for your birthday/Christmas/whatever?" is a dumb question that defeats the purpose of gift giving. A gift is special because it shows you've been thinking about the person and understand their tastes, or because you want to share something you also enjoy. Asking what they want is throwing that thoughtfulness back onto the receiver and reducing the gift to empty consumption for consumption's sake. If you have to give a gift and don't know the receiver well enough to know what they'd like, either accept "nothing" as an answer or just do cash!

this is an unhealthily high expectation to have of other people. folks should get used to other people not being able to read their minds and instead asking about things they want to know. it's ok to be straightforward about things.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

phuo: I'm surprised it still has this racist name.

Well, that's a new one.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

FreudianSlippers posted:

The cheap stuff is made in the same factories and from the same materials as the premium stuff. The different brands, prices, and labels are just marketing.

"Made in the same factory" means jack poo poo.

Chinese factories will make whatever the client asks for. They will make premium items right next to another line making knockoffs with zero QC.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Muscle Tracer posted:

this is an unhealthily high expectation to have of other people. folks should get used to other people not being able to read their minds and instead asking about things they want to know. it's ok to be straightforward about things.

I'm not saying read my mind. I'm saying if you can't come up with a good idea on your own, you can A) give cash or B) just wish me well. For some people, those options are completely unacceptable no matter how much I try to convince them I won't be insulted or disappointed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The "Black Friday" name is really weird to hear in Australia because names like that usually refer to days that bushfires wipe out small towns.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

phuo: I'm surprised it still has this racist name. It should be called "credit card Friday" or "debtors Friday" or maybe "tacky Friday", "cheapskate Friday", or even "Christmas tree day".

Also agreeing with the above poster, that "cyber Monday" and "cyber week" are dumm terms. Now if it was a week of coupons on traditional cyber, maybe they'd quadruple sales. :circlefap:

It’s Black Friday as in “in the black”, a phrase meaning you made a profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

FreudianSlippers posted:

This isn't as groundbreaking and true as you think it is.