Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
it’s sort of like how cigarette taxes are regressive and it sucks and is one of the worst ways to curb smoking, but at least it has some effect. what if instead, a ton of people were required to smoke as part of their jobs, and we made life harder and more expensive for non-smokers on purpose. it would be pretty bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
of course youre from loving finland. I think we all agree with each other about stroads and infra but there should also be consequences for choosing to use the car dangerously

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Nov 28, 2021

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

lol no I’m from America and have to drive 40 miles to work because the trains stop running at 8:30pm

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

that's a pretty long commute

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tell your boss you can't stay past 5 today and the other days.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

solution: trains

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[edit]wrong thread

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

eSports Chaebol posted:

lol no I’m from America and have to drive 40 miles to work because the trains stop running at 8:30pm

fist bump

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

We're doomed:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sphyre posted:

my local. looks like an opportunity for direct action

yeah, when it comes to pick up trucks

its carte blanche for doing whatever the gently caress i want

if you drive one, you're an rear end in a top hat :keke:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sphyre posted:

Each of those trucks should be filled with tannerite and shot with soviet surplus mosins until such time that they explode most enjoyably

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I spent four hours in Atlanta traffic today and have no idea how people can tolerate that every day.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

hunter you're alive, though the commute explains

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

can someone who is good with computers do a cutout av of the two wheeled terror guy for your favourite poster (me)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Epic High Five posted:

Each of those trucks should be filled with tannerite and shot with soviet surplus mosins until such time that they explode most enjoyably

be the change, etc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I spent four hours in Atlanta traffic today and have no idea how people can tolerate that every day.

At least they're not riding MARTA :imunfunny: *horror sting*

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

PeterCat posted:

Traffic cameras are a grift designed to make money for companies that lease them to the municipalities.

Functionally they're no different than those small towns who drop the speed limit on the highway within their city limits to catch out of towners.

jesus christ, just stop speeding

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Just follow the law and stop trying to abolish cops, jesus christ.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

the Pareto optimal solution is to leave Waze on all the time to warn you of cameras and just speed everywhere there’s no camera (fortunately most people don’t do this)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HATE

CAR

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
A couple of weeks ago there was some chat around grocery shopping by bike and some folks seemed like they were keen to give it a shot. As an enthusiastic bike shopper I had intended to write up an effort post on the topic when I had some time. I have time now so here you go.

I've been shopping by bike on and off for about 10 years and exclusively for the last two. Bike shopping often requires a certain degree of fortitude and risk tolerance, but I consider it part of my "collapse now and avoid the rush" lifestyle. It's also a great source of exercise and I believe the visibility helps move my community towards better urban planning.

I go twice a week rain or shine to a grocery store about a mile from home and occasionally will venture on longer shopping excursions or even tours in the hundreds of miles.

What makes a good shopping bike?

A shopping bike should be reliable, sturdy and comfortable. Note that neither fast or light is on the list. I currently run a mid '80s Maruishi Mountain bike that cost me around $200 to buy and another $200 to accessorize. It's easily the best build for the job that I have come across. Steel framed 26" wheel mountain bikes are sort of a perfect fit for bike shopping for a number of reasons:

- Not particularly attractive to thieves. No bike lock is a 100% guarantee, but the effort and risk someone is going to put into stealing a bike is directly related to the perceived value of the bike. I've never had a steel mtb stolen and I rode for 5 years in Vancouver.
- Standardized component sizes. Modern bikes have a lot of proprietary sizing and unintuitive compatibility issues (I'm looking and you tiagra rear derailleurs and your weirdass 11 speed pull ratio) . Older bikes tend to be easy to source parts for and easy to wrench on. There is no reason I can't ride my 35 year old bike for another 35 years.
- Appropriate gearing. Mountain bikes usually have a nice low "granny gear" which is useful when you're lugging 50lbs of this week's dinners up a hill.

What gear do I need?

There are folks who just throw on a backpack and jump on their bike. That used to be me when I was younger, but these days I need to buy a lot more food and not having that load on my makes things a lot more fun. There's not a ton of stuff that one needs, but there are a few bare minimum items.

- Lights don't leave home without 'em (more on this later)
- Fenders. If you don't live somewhere where it never ever rains.
- Weather appropriate clothing. In my neck of the woods at this time of year that means waterproof pants, gloves, jacket, boots, and a wool base layer. I spend more on my clothes than my bike. I appreciate how a car-free lifestyle constantly exposes you to the elements. Soon you will have an awareness of what gear is appropriate for what weather at what time of year and have probably considered it worthwhile to invest in quality outdoor gear. I think a lot of folks would be shocked at how worthless their wardrobe is when not being shuttled from one climate controlled box to the next while inside yet another climate controlled box.
- Racks and panniers. There are countless bike cargo gizmos out there, but for someone just wanting to run a few errands there is nothing better than the classic front/rear rack and 4 pannier setup. I can carry nearly 100lbs between my 4 bags and am still able to handle the bike reasonably well. Having a bag on each quadrant of the bike means loads are simple to balance and many old mountain bikes have the correct eyelets to attach standard pannier racks. Panniers are also wonderful because they can be clipped to the sides of a grocery cart which makes the logistics of packing up and avoiding overbuying much easier.

But Cars will kill you

Cars will kill us all, friend. Sure, it's a little harrowing trusting your life to the good judgment of a 1998 Cavalier covered in energy drink stickers, but being different is always dangerous. Where some see recklessness I see courage. Perhaps I'm deluded but I do believe that being seen rolling down the street loaded up with groceries by my community will help them become more aware of cyclists in general and more willing to accept city proposals for bike and pedestrian infrastructure. That said, here's some things I do to try and not die. These come from years of experience riding bikes and motorcycles all over the world. I have had close calls in the past, but none recently and feel like my approach is reasonably safe.

- Fit into the driver's mental model. Cars hit bikes when drivers don't see them, drivers don't see anything they don't expect to see, and drivers never expect to see bikes. This means that a cyclist has to look like a car as much as possible. You obviously can't make yourself 15 feet long and 7 feet high, but you can be in the places where a car expects you to be. Position yourself in traffic like a very slow car would. Either consider the shoulder your lane or create a lane for yourself in the center of the rightmost 3rd of the road and never ever jump back and forth from the street to the sidewalk.
- Lights lights, lights. I always run a bright white light up front and a bright red in the back. Tiny little blinky lights don't cut it. Get something that is as bright as a car brake light for the back and as bright as a headlight for the front. Bonus points if they have a quick release so you can pocket your lights when you go in a store. (thieves know nice lights) Remember: look like a car.
- Body Language. Big flamboyant hand signals for turning and copious eye contact.
- Pick your route. I don't go to the closest store or my favorite store I go to the one with the best route where speed limits are lowest and traffic is lightest. Sacrifices must be made.
- Safety vest. I just started doing this recently. Every little bit helps I suppose.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
The steed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
The groceries

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
At some point I realized that it angers other drivers more to go under the limit rather than over (on steroids, not highways), so now I do that.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Sphyre posted:

i lived in a place like this. the local government ended up having to completely surround all the parks with bollards to stop assholes turning them into a car parks

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Cat Puke posted:

At some point I realized that it angers other drivers more to go under the limit rather than over (on steroids, not highways), so now I do that.

The first time I had someone freak out at me when I got back into driving a few years ago was from going the speed limit up a busy street.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

https://twitter.com/AndrewAPrice/status/1465198227318321155

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Milo and POTUS posted:

At least they're not riding MARTA :imunfunny: *horror sting*

MARTA rules, kill anyone from outside marta range, tia

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They whine about traffic nonstop and then belittle marta. Suburban atlantans are the stupidest loving people in the south I swear

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
carbrain is absolutely everywhere. hanging out with family in a beautiful walkable town (arguably top tier beauty and walkability) and their first thought when planning to go out for a family walk is to all hop in 2 cars and drive around

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Leroy Diplowski posted:

But Cars will kill you
I'd also like to add, and I think most people probably understand this already, but just assume every driver is trying to loving kill you. The fewer maneuvers you make that rely on drivers doing the correct or sensible thing, the safer you are.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Love to deny MARTA expansion annually while complaining about commuting traffic

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

it's crazy how consistently this happened in every city

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Love to deny MARTA expansion annually while complaining about commuting traffic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACTp-ebzhP4&t=1983s

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Just follow the law and stop trying to abolish cops, jesus christ.

if you think that's really equivalent then i don't think you get why cops are bad, and i know you don't know why speeding is bad

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

ArmZ posted:

it's crazy how consistently this happened in every city

if you want to know the purpose of a system, look at the effects it has in the world!

the purpose of US civil engineering in the last century was to annihilate what culture was forming in order for cars to go there instead

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nice posts! I have a couple grocery stores a bit less than a mile away, I was thinking about finding some used bike on craigslist or w/e with platform pedals, I never need to carry more than two bags worth so maybe just panniers in the back?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

actionjackson posted:

nice posts! I have a couple grocery stores a bit less than a mile away, I was thinking about finding some used bike on craigslist or w/e with platform pedals, I never need to carry more than two bags worth so maybe just panniers in the back?

You can carry a surprising amount of stuff in pannier bags, plus larger items on top of the rack. Add a front basket and a backpack if needed and you can carry all your groceries no problem.

I have two Russian military surplus medic shoulder bags that I've added hooks and a bit of elastic to, they fit perfectly on my omafiets. Between those and the huge front basket, I hardly ever have to bring out my bike trailer.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

if you think that's really equivalent then i don't think you get why cops are bad, and i know you don't know why speeding is bad
it's because the man doesn't want me having fun in my slick, ten-ton murderkill machine, right?? lol all the ladies see me roar through an oddly bumpy crosswalk and scream after me "NOOO OH MY GOD, MY BABY MY BABY NO" because, uhh... they're so upset my d ain't giving them no baby, I guess? Sorry babes, just like my truck, this cool dude can't be asked to maintain a lane :smug:

probably loving Karens, anyway, wanting me to "stop at red lights" and "not tailgate" and I'm like, bitch, don't you know those rules are only excuses to take money out of the pocket of good, hardworking American drivers?? Vehicular manslaughter is a victimless crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
speed limits literally don't keep you safe or make the road safer, they exist as a pressure valve so the state/municipality/police can say they tried to prevent those deaths and then kick down responsibility to individual drivers so they don't have to look at real problems or their solutions. (and then pocket the cash to maintain those roads and further bloat their police)

you're an absolute sucker for thinking these mechanisms are an appropriate response to car culture and that they just need better enforcement.