Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

This probably isn't an unpopular opinion, but I just had to get it off my chest after trying Mortal Shell on Xbox gamepass: who the hell thought it was a good idea to pepper the intro area with difficult to see bear traps that automatically reset themselves? It was an immediate uninstall after my 5th bear trap. I'm struggling to think of a game with a more off-putting gameplay introduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nice Van My Man posted:

This probably isn't an unpopular opinion, but I just had to get it off my chest after trying Mortal Shell on Xbox gamepass: who the hell thought it was a good idea to pepper the intro area with difficult to see bear traps that automatically reset themselves? It was an immediate uninstall after my 5th bear trap. I'm struggling to think of a game with a more off-putting gameplay introduction.

The absolute hardest part of Driver 1 until the final mission in the game is the mandatory tutorial at the start.

Please note this does not mean the game ever becomes easy, it just goes from "getting punched by a heavyweight" to "punched by a welterweight" for a little bit.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

That driver intro look me two weeks, playing about an hour a day when I was 10

Speaking of that series, Driver: San Francisco is an incredibly fun and funny game with man vibes. Its seriously unique. The entire premise of the story is hilariously silly and creative.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Speaking of that series, Driver: San Francisco is an incredibly fun and funny game with man vibes. Its seriously unique. The entire premise of the story is hilariously silly and creative.

Its the game responsible for teaching me about cheatcodes and gameshark.

And how a game can in fact be so hard you can lose even with infinite health and time because holy god is the final level unbelievably hard and can physically drown you in the bodies of your foes until you stop being able to move

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 29, 2021

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Barudak posted:

The absolute hardest part of Driver 1 until the final mission in the game is the mandatory tutorial at the start.

Please note this does not mean the game ever becomes easy, it just goes from "getting punched by a heavyweight" to "punched by a welterweight" for a little bit.

Oh my god, I didn't realize I have Driver ptsd until this moment, gently caress that tutorial

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The loving UHHHH? UNNGHH! UGUUU! poo poo is so awful

FFX’s voice direction is surprisingly low on the old lady noises, only with FF13 did that really start becoming commonplace. It’s super distracting in FF7R.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

FFX’s voice direction is surprisingly low on the old lady noises, only with FF13 did that really start becoming commonplace. It’s super distracting in FF7R.

Oh my bad, I misread that as XV

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

a full game that was just an expanded version of the first act of XV would own and i just can't even try to finish the game because it falls apart so hard so quickly

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The weirdest thing of FF7R grunts is that there's considerably in the english dub than in the JP dub. Alas I tried the JP dub but it sucks so I traded weird grunt noises for the bless of hearing Cloud saying "yes nailed it, moving on".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

site posted:

sucks for console gamers that they can't buy games they've been waiting on for 3 or 4 bucks during the holidays i guess

Maybe this was true a decade ago but I feel like steams sale aren't even any better than the sales they run on consoles anymore. More often than not it's like a 1:1 discount for the same games on whatever platform. The publisher just sets a sale price and that's what it is on everything.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 29, 2021

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Picked up game pass finally and been playing Gears 5 on PC; having never played any in the franchise for more than an hour, it's pretty alright, but there's a lot of sloppiness for a AAA title. The menus are annoying to navigate on KB/M, especially browsing classes in Horde mode. I had to resort to using arrow keys to select classes because my cursor frequently selected the wrong class as I move my mouse over to the right. Ability descriptions are confusing and major aspects of some classes (Jack and Pilot especially) are simply not communicated.

Keep running into major bugs in Horde too, such as getting completely rooted in place and unable to act until I'm killed and revived at base (happens when my silverback is destroyed, or when I try to help a downed ally from a beatdown), or becoming a phantom silverback with no pilot and no duration. One time as Jack my primary fire just stopped dealing damage or playing vfx but could still stun.

I frequently find myself fighting the controls because my character wants to vault over things instead of meleeing or gets glued to a wall when I want to dodge, and then I eat one of the game's many instant deaths. They let me rebind the chainsaw so it doesn't interfere with reloads; let me rebind vaulting so I don't accidentally mantle over a piece of cover when trying to swing the breaker mace! I also can't stand that incoming grenades have no HUD indicator and the audio cues/callouts are barely audible or come too late.

Anyway the game looks and runs wonderfully and the campaign was kinda fun at least :V

Sorry for :words: just been frustrated with this dumb game I want to like

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 29, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gears was really cool in 2007 or whenever the first one came out. Anything after that is perfectly playable but not really noteworthy.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Gears of War 1 might be the brownest game of all time, in a console era that was known for its brownness. I feel like it might have even popularised brown games.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

Gears of War 1 might be the brownest game of all time, in a console era that was known for its brownness. I feel like it might have even popularised brown games.

I bought that for my 360 when I got the console because it had good reviews. It was brown and the characters and character designs were bad. I think they tried to make the characters WH40K style hunks of metal and meat, but they didn't go far enough so it didn't come off as ironic/satirical and they were just unlikeable meat-heads.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Gears of War rules. It managed to make its guns feel weighty and its enemies tough without going too far into bullet sponge territory

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Every game that features a chainsaw or chainsaw-like is good. Maniac Mansion, Doom, Gears of War, Bloodborne, Forest Harvester Simulator etc.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

drat. I wanted to check it out but it's not available for purchase anywhere. Looked it up on youtube and it looks really neat.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Caesar Saladin posted:

:hmmyes:

The whole driver series is pretty good imo if you really enjoy movie car chases. I even liked Driv3r. I just like watching cars smash up and do cool skids! It's why beam.ng is so good.

although I didn't struggle with the garage intro in driver :smug:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The driver intro is like a hardass high school teacher who takes two letter grades off per day you turn in your paper late and keeps telling you it's only going to get harder on college, then your first year professors are all "you need an extra week? no problem, just grab me a cold brew next time you go to starbucks I'll pay you back on monday"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have been watching my housemate play Far Cry 5 and now New Dawn.

It's awful. And the reviews online keep complaining that it's too PC.

It, uh, is not.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

flavor.flv posted:

The driver intro is like a hardass high school teacher who takes two letter grades off per day you turn in your paper late and keeps telling you it's only going to get harder on college, then your first year professors are all "you need an extra week? no problem, just grab me a cold brew next time you go to starbucks I'll pay you back on monday"

Remember when our teachers told us we'd absolutely need to use cursive in high school/college?

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember when our teachers told us we'd absolutely need to use cursive in high school/college?

You think you'll be carrying a calculator in your pocket all day in the real world?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

chainchompz posted:

The goon/former roommate who got me to join SA has over 400 games in his steam profile. I hope someday he has time to play them all but lol he'd have to be already retired to have a shot at that. Good luck bro.

I bought a lot of charity game bundles on the basis of "I might want to play that sometime" and marked all of my cash down as going to charity. I also bulk buy physical games that I have any interest in at <$2 a game in order to amortize international shipping; $30 shipping on three items sucks but $30 shipping on 20 items is a great deal. I'm also engaged in a documentation project on a system library that has over 1000 games and I've been getting all of them.

400 games is nothing. My backlog blots out the sun.

I know there's zero chance of ever making a real dent in my backlog. That documentation project was to push me to play more of it, but it's just made things worse as all of my free time is sunk into that which makes things pile up more. It's less backlog and more collection and library these days.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I dunno what it says about me that I barely even registered all the "anime grunts" people talk about in FF7R. I haven't even watched anime in years so it's not like I've built up some kind of immunity through exposure or something. I just didn't even really notice it was happening in FF7R until I saw people complaining about it and I started listening for it.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Our mission is to dub over all anime grunts with burps and farts.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Random Stranger posted:

I bought a lot of charity game bundles on the basis of "I might want to play that sometime" and marked all of my cash down as going to charity. I also bulk buy physical games that I have any interest in at <$2 a game in order to amortize international shipping; $30 shipping on three items sucks but $30 shipping on 20 items is a great deal. I'm also engaged in a documentation project on a system library that has over 1000 games and I've been getting all of them.

400 games is nothing. My backlog blots out the sun.

I know there's zero chance of ever making a real dent in my backlog. That documentation project was to push me to play more of it, but it's just made things worse as all of my free time is sunk into that which makes things pile up more. It's less backlog and more collection and library these days.

i don't count my ROM collection as part of my backlog. that's an archive for the ages and i could never hope to play every game. but someone in the future is going to need that Super Metriod ROM hack and i'm making sure they have it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The point of a backlog is not to go "I have 1000s of games, i will never be bored and always have something new to play" the point is so you can wakeup on a monday morning and go "i really fancy replaying Halo tonight"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Certain franchises like final fantasy allow you to always have a backlog of other final fantasies to play no matter where you are in the series so you bounce back and forth between good, old video games and good newer video games except FF13 which is not a very good game. With spin-offs like Stranger of Paradise I just plain might not ever play other video games!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I wonder if Stranger in Paradise was always supposed to be Metal Gear Rising style ham or they course corrected between the first trailer and the demo. Because that first trailer had none of the ham and got such negative reception from CHAOS! I wonder if they panicked and decided rework the story/dialogue to embrace CHAOS! in a cheesy way.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I keep trying to grind my way through ffxv even though I stop playing it for periods so I have no loving clue what's going on. I find the story less engaging than nes entries.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

galagazombie posted:

I wonder if Stranger in Paradise was always supposed to be Metal Gear Rising style ham or they course corrected between the first trailer and the demo. Because that first trailer had none of the ham and got such negative reception from CHAOS! I wonder if they panicked and decided rework the story/dialogue to embrace CHAOS! in a cheesy way.

Who knows but game makers need to have more fun and it seems like SE is having fun with stranger of paradise.

games???? Fun???? B-b-but raid times and leveling systems!! Prestige! Tokens!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

jokes posted:

games???? Fun???? B-b-but raid times and leveling systems!! Prestige! Tokens!

fun wears off fast, but addiction is where the money is at.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I keep trying to grind my way through ffxv even though I stop playing it for periods so I have no loving clue what's going on. I find the story less engaging than nes entries.

WARRIORS find the ORBS

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The point of a backlog is not to go "I have 1000s of games, i will never be bored and always have something new to play" the point is so you can wakeup on a monday morning and go "i really fancy replaying Halo tonight"

The danger there being frozen with decision paralysis. But if you're good at handling that, it's nice to have a library.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

No Prompto, we aren't going to stop to take another loving photo, I just want the rain to end so I can look at a shiny picture of a goddang hot dog!

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 29, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

Similarly to movies, trailers are often cut by marketing people who have no connection to the ones actually making the full product, and working on some warped idea of market research.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Happy birthday video games

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Random Stranger posted:

The danger there being frozen with decision paralysis. But if you're good at handling that, it's nice to have a library.

Unfortunately I don't have decision paralysis I have "not finishing my games" paralysis

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I usually keep my steam list in the only installed games mode. I don't even have that many games, around 150 which has some humble bundle spam. But I like just seeing the installed games and telling my brains that "these are the handful of games you own now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You're right I really should replace my 8tb with like 18tb. They were on sale recently but I opted to skip them because I would have needed at least 2 to make any difference to the usable space in my drive pool.