Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Meltwater: A Game of Tactical Starvation is now officially out of print with Hollandspiele, and awaiting a future new edition from an as yet undisclosed publisher. I'm not allowed to talk hard numbers, but we passed over a thousand total units across the game's lifetime.

The game probably would have gone nowhere without y'all's support. Thanks, boardgoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

gutterdaughter posted:

Meltwater: A Game of Tactical Starvation is now officially out of print with Hollandspiele, and awaiting a future new edition from an as yet undisclosed publisher. I'm not allowed to talk hard numbers, but we passed over a thousand total units across the game's lifetime.

The game probably would have gone nowhere without y'all's support. Thanks, boardgoons.

Congrats! I'm stoked for ya!

I had my wife pick up a copy from Hollandspiele during the sale since I've had my eye on it for a bit (due to this thread and that "unique games" geeklist on BGG) so I'm stoked to get to finally play it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does anyone know the "status" of Sleeping Gods? I ordered it almost ten months ago and haven't seen anything. Is it out of production? Backlogged? Waiting for a 2.0 fix? Anything?

There's a new printing of it that just shipped, my FLGS got hold of it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

gutterdaughter posted:

I remember being immediately impressed with what I saw when you first shared about it, and printed off the print and play & did some early playtesting. I'm glad it's worked out for you, you deserve it!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Screw Meltwater, where's your game about making boys kiss?

Seriously though, congratulations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

El Fideo posted:

game about making boys kiss?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/315059/dream-crush

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Admiralty Flag posted:

Just played Viticulture for the first time yesterday. I had lots of fun with it. Thinking about getting it for home, but wondering about how much fun it is with two players. (I can see it'll be good fun with three for when my daughter comes to visit and it'll be good to pull out when guests come over to play.) Worried that with two it might be an exercise in frustration in fighting over the single worker placement spot and switching off useful turns. Thoughts?

Something to think about is the randomness of the decks in Viticulture. So the frustration won't come from fighting over worker spots but rather the fact one person got an amazing visitor or whatever and the other person didn't. If you're happy with that aspect of it the it's fine.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

El Fideo posted:

Screw Meltwater, where's your game about making boys kiss?

Seriously though, congratulations.

....tell me more.

Seriously though something I quite like is when there's a game with very complex mechanics, layered systems, and all sorts of depth, all in the name of something completely superfluous (for example, making boys kiss.) No idea why, just tickles me.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

gutterdaughter posted:

You got a pretty glowing review from SWAG podcast too, I have to think that drove a few purchases.

1000 units of a game from a smaller publisher is really good isn't it? Especially when you're 2p only and have a super-depressing theme on top of it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Edit- this came to the wrong th thread somehow oops

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mayveena posted:

Back to your Spirit Island discussion, a game I could never get into although I tried a number of times :).

I'm definitely in the same boat. Have played it a half dozen times and had fun each time but the Light of God must have passed over me because I found it... fine and with no desire to acquire it or request it. Just not for me.

Aramoro posted:

Something to think about is the randomness of the decks in Viticulture. So the frustration won't come from fighting over worker spots but rather the fact one person got an amazing visitor or whatever and the other person didn't. If you're happy with that aspect of it the it's fine.

Some of the visitors are just straight up amazing and some orders are very easy to fulfill. I think Tuscany "fixes" some of these issues, partially by making them visitors more difficult to get. That said, it might even exacerbate the issue by just reducing the quantity of them so that when/if someone gets an amazing one it stands out more.

I got to play Dune Imperium this weekend and really enjoyed it. I love deckbuilders with a board state and this is (mostly) that. We did a four player learning game that plodded on and after some initial hurdles were cruising. Lots of tough choices. Looking forward to getting many more plays out of it and also sleeving the cards.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 29, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Aramoro posted:

I always bring this up, but I don't like the visitors and made a point of avoiding them in Viticulture. It's absolutely possible to do much better than one might otherwise think.

Partly to prove a point to myself, I eschewed visitors entirely while participating in a game with the resident boardgames Rain Man (who leans HARD into visitors and combo-maxing.)

I still lost! BUT only by a slim tiebreaker margin. Nobody one else at the table was even close to me and the rain main in points when endgame was triggered, so I still "counted" it as validation that the game doesn't hinge on visitors even though I actually didn't win :colbert:

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

FulsomFrank posted:

Some of the visitors are just straight up amazing and some orders are very easy to fulfill. I think Tuscany "fixes" some of these issues, partially by making them visitors more difficult to get. That said, it might even exacerbate the issue by just reducing the quantity of them so that when/if someone gets an amazing one it stands out more.

It reminds me of DXV’s insight into chapel when first designing Dominion - “This card is way too good to restrict access to it. I better make it a 2 cost so that anyone can buy it first turn.”

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I really enjoyed that designer diary or whatever it was, it really shone a light into how well thought out dominion was.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

silvergoose posted:

I really enjoyed that designer diary or whatever it was, it really shone a light into how well thought out dominion was.

Village is a card he intentionally designed to separate good players from bad.

Almost every player I've played with LOVES Village analogues.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Village, Village, Village, buy a Village, your go.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Drawing cards is fun

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

nordichammer posted:

Drawing cards is fun

Smithy draws three cards

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Smithy nets +2 cards.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Learning how to play with my older son. I'm the one who's not winning :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Village is a card he intentionally designed to separate good players from bad.

Almost every player I've played with LOVES Village analogues.

I only use them sometimes if there's no good other options to draw cards and I keep drawing loving garbage

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Harold Fjord posted:

Smithy nets +2 cards.

But no actions to use them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I only use them sometimes if there's no good other options to draw cards and I keep drawing loving garbage

Villages make no difference to whether or not you're drawing garbage because your deck would be the same net size without the Village. They are themselves garbage unless you have enough terminals to require all the extra actions, and even that edge case generally means you've bought too many terminals.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Festival, now that's the real poo poo.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

nordichammer posted:

Drawing cards is fun

Yeah, card+action cards are great! Sentry's probably my favourite though. One thing I also like is the Sauna+Avanto promo card combo. Nothing better than getting most of those in your deck, and just drawing everything each turn :D (although of course, that seems to only be possible once, then everyone clues into how potent it can be and starts buying-up)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I can never stop myself from building terrible Gardens decks if the card looks remotely viable.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, card+action cards are great! Sentry's probably my favourite though. One thing I also like is the Sauna+Avanto promo card combo. Nothing better than getting most of those in your deck, and just drawing everything each turn :D (although of course, that seems to only be possible once, then everyone clues into how potent it can be and starts buying-up)

A lot of online players ban Sauna because the entire early game becomes BUY SAUNAS and then whoever gets 5 a couple of times early to nab the fast Avantos just wins so it's basically a coinflip.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

nrook posted:

I can never stop myself from building terrible Gardens decks if the card looks remotely viable.

haha yeah, the temptation is always real! :D I find that I have a lot of success with Duke decks. Just buy enough Dukes to put others off investing heavily into it too, then go all-out with duchies. I think some of my top scores were with Duke decks.

Man, this convo is making me depressed that I haven't played Dominion since Jan 2020 :( Such a good game! By the way, are any of the more recent expansions worthwhile? I bought all the easily interchangable ones (i.e. all the ones that don't use the newer mat-/tile-based features like in Adventures etc.) for easier mix-and-match play, but haven't even glanced at any of the more recent releases. I think I vaguely recall a supernatural-/night-themed one coming out a while ago, but that's about it.

EDIT:

Toshimo posted:

A lot of online players ban Sauna because the entire early game becomes BUY SAUNAS and then whoever gets 5 a couple of times early to nab the fast Avantos just wins so it's basically a coinflip.

Hah! Yeah I don't blame them. They're fine with my group since it evens out pretty smoothly, but yeah I can definitely imagine that with some players/groups people just rush them ASAP

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Fun fact I ordered The Red Cathedral at Christmas last year off the basis of the preview from the 2020 Aw Shux.

It has still yet to arrive in Australia...

I was informed it would arrive November..

11 months..

:suicide:

Cancelled order after they moved the goal posts yet again. Fuuuuuck knows what happened to the shipment.

Refunded money gonna go towards my TG Secret Santa gift methinks.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Ordered Zendo as a Christmas gift for myself :evilbuddy:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

nrook posted:

This is my response to a kingdom with Conspirator and literally any other nonterminal action.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Major Isoor posted:

I bought all the easily interchangable ones (i.e. all the ones that don't use the newer mat-/tile-based features like in Adventures etc.) for easier mix-and-match play, but haven't even glanced at any of the more recent releases. I think I vaguely recall a supernatural-/night-themed one coming out a while ago, but that's about it.

I don't get what you mean about the interchangeable ones, but the most recent expansion is one of the best ever. It's called Renaissance, fittingly, since the spooky one you remember wasn't universally beloved.
Ren has a lot of really smartly designed cards showing how there's still space for new cards about trashing. I haven't played it in person, but it may be a bit overcomplicated in places. There are a lot of cards that play themselves at odd times, and there's a way to play Action cards for a different effect. I can imagine getting lost in what you're doing, and it doesn't even have to be your turn.
Nocturne is ok, but some of the gimmicks can rile up the grumpy. It also has a touch of overcomplication, but with less interesting gameplay effects.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't get what you mean about the interchangeable ones, but the most recent expansion is one of the best ever. It's called Renaissance, fittingly, since the spooky one you remember wasn't universally beloved.
Ren has a lot of really smartly designed cards showing how there's still space for new cards about trashing. I haven't played it in person, but it may be a bit overcomplicated in places. There are a lot of cards that play themselves at odd times, and there's a way to play Action cards for a different effect. I can imagine getting lost in what you're doing, and it doesn't even have to be your turn.
Nocturne is ok, but some of the gimmicks can rile up the grumpy. It also has a touch of overcomplication, but with less interesting gameplay effects.

Oh, I just mean like, all the earlier expansions (Seaside, Intrigue, Hinterlands, Prosperity, etc.) which only introduce new cards with minimal exceptions to how they work (like duration cards), to minimize rule-learning. (I mean, it's not an issue for a lot of BGers, but it was a gripe for people I was playing with at the time) So as a result, basically everything was interchangeable, since they all had pretty standard effects.

So like, I avoided getting Alchemy due to the potion mechanics (whenever I played a friend's copy, the alchemy stuff never ended up doing much, so eh), also avoided Dark Ages due to the ruins etc. (and also I don't think it was rated very highly in general? I could be misremembering though) as well as Adventures+Empires, due to all the big 'event' cards/mats changing things up too much.

That does sound good though, regarding Renaissance. Maybe if I can rope people into Dominion again, I might need to look for it at a FLGS

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

gutterdaughter posted:

Meltwater: A Game of Tactical Starvation is now officially out of print with Hollandspiele, and awaiting a future new edition from an as yet undisclosed publisher.

Cthulhu retheme with FFG? Differrent sects of cultists fighting as R’yleh sinks

No no

Woodland creatures retheme with Leder, mice and rabbits with fox soldiers as the forest burns

No I got it,

Mage Knight universe witb CGE, peasants and city defenders as the countryside is pillaged by Tovak and friends

(Congrats!)

Fellis fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 30, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The events in adventures and empire are awesome, as are "way" cards from menagerie.

I used to hate alchemy but playing online a lot I've learned to appreciate the potion economy

The only really bad mechanic is hexes. Nocturne introduced two 12 card piles facedown piles; you draw boons from one and hexes from the other as triggered by various cards. Boons are little positive effects like "you may discard three cards to gain a gold" or "trash a card from your hand." Hexes though, are attacks. There's the usual stuff like gaining a curse to your hand or top decking a card if you have four or discarding down to three. Then there's loving Misery. Misery gives you a -2 VP and if you get hit a second time it's a -4 VP. It caps out there, I've never reached the point of getting hit by a third misery and it fizzling. In a normal game if they hit you with misery twice and you hit them with other stuff you lose. Game was already random enough imo.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 30, 2021

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Toshimo posted:

I play two player with a friend a lot, and if you only have one person going sauna/avanto it's too slow. You're spending a lot of time buying a mediocre trashing card until you hit avantos. Of course the math definitely changes if there are attacks that slow the game down, workshop effects, etc., but in a vacuum it can be a trap.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
This could be something susceptible to a local meta, especially with >2 players.

If Sauna/Avanto is the recognized "best" strategy, and your two opponents are going for it, it'll be fast enough that you really do need to play the same game. If it's recognized as "too slow", then if you try it (and you're the only trying it), it will in fact be too slow.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I disagree with the notion that it's too slow to solo.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The landscape cards are one of the best expansion content in Dominion. Landmarks mostly give a nice jiggle to scoring and can easily cause you to reconsider your priorities. Events are just cool, and let you do cool things. Projects are also cool. Ways are neat but they're a lot harder to grasp. The other three are pretty simple.
A lot of the high-ranked players on Dominion dot games don't think Saunavanto is too strong. Frequently they don't really bother with it. If there's any other sort of trashing, or any other Village effect, Saunas dont offer much. After your opponent has spent 5 buys and $20 revealing them, you can poach some Avantos if the board is lacking a good source of draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, landscapes are the best addition to Dominion. Which is why I think Empires and Renaissance are the best expansions to have.