Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In a shocking twist that nobody saw coming, new anti-CRT laws are not being used to stop public schools from teaching critical race theory and are instead being used to prevent the teaching of anything that portrays segregationists and southern white people in a negative light - including actual history.

One of Moms for Liberty complaints requests that the state throw out one history textbook because a photo caption describes black children being sprayed with fire hoses as "hurt" by the water - which violates the new state law because the authors don't know that they were "hurt" by the hoses and mentioning the race of the children makes it a racial issue.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1465365202438959109
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1465367632220147714
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1465368374481981448

Everytime I think that I can't be any more convinced that we live in the stupidest timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

In a shocking twist that nobody saw coming, new anti-CRT laws are not being used to stop public schools from teaching critical race theory and are instead being used to prevent the teaching of anything that portrays segregationists and southern white people in a negative light - including actual history.

One of Moms for Liberty complaints requests that the state throw out one history textbook because a photo caption describes black children being sprayed with fire hoses as "hurt" by the water - which violates the new state law because the authors don't know that they were "hurt" by the hoses and mentioning the race of the children makes it a racial issue.

Who could have possibly foreseen this

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

hapsurfer posted:

are you serious? how can anyone ever use with argument with obama and guantanamo as a predecessor?

I know you didn't explicitly say this and i'm deffo arguing aginst, "the thread."

Yes? I'm completely serious. It's absurd to use "Obama and Biden had 8 years to do it" and at the same time not hold Trump to the same standard. That's even accepting the assumption that Biden had the same standard of exercise of authority as vice president as he does as president, which is really quite a stretch. Biden wasn't the decision maker, the buck stopped at Obamas desk.

Why didn't Trump withdraw from Afghanistan? He had 4 full years to do it. Biden got it done 6 months into his term.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

:monocle:

Surely those kids getting spray with a fire hose love it like on Stanley Spadowski's Clubhouse.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

the_steve posted:

Everytime I think that I can't be any more convinced that we live in the stupidest timeline.

Well if it makes you feel any better it's not the result of stupidity. This is very specifically the result of malice. The authors of the CRT furor were very, very explicit that this was the intent. They purposefully and specifically used right wing propaganda, in fine Orwellian newspeak fashion, to cram anything and everything to do with race in the country into the label Critical Race Theory. Now they have an entire concept tied down to three words and they can have their bleating idiot followers angry at Emmanuel Goldstein CRT.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/CaseStudyQB/status/1465336177209319428?s=20

How's Josh's polling these days?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

th3t00t posted:

German is also an intensely gender specific language. All nouns have a gender.

But they do already have a neutral gendering! Although sometimes the neutral and masculine are the same, and the feminine is also often the plural, and occasionally the masculine in one tense is feminine or plural in others.

Articles are weird in German. One of the few things I've retained from two semesters of German is how grateful I am for "the" in English.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
:lol:

When I think of "pragmatic problem solving and people who can just get things done," it ain't the Democratic Party.

Abner Assington fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 29, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

It's almost like it was never about CRT at all!

Jesus Christ they literally can't accept that history happened and their ancestors were awful fucks. Can you imagine being that hung up on how your dipshit racist ancestor might be portayed 70-100+ years ago

Moms for Liberty sounds a lot like Daughters of the Confederacy. Any possible connection? :thunk:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

As of September he was 47-29 in NJ-5

That said someone should still try to primary his rear end

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

It is a good example of why trying to tackle the anti-CRT arguments by arguing that schools aren't actually teaching CRT doesn't help.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Professor Beetus posted:

Was it me? Did I foresee this?

Anyone want to shine the "Not All Republican Voters," Signal and see what hero appears to tell us how this isn't a big deal and in fact the left should be appropriating CRT Critiques because its such an obvious vote-winner instead of telling parents their wrong?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TulliusCicero posted:

It's almost like it was never about CRT at all!

Jesus Christ they literally can't accept that history happened and their ancestors were awful fucks. Can you imagine being that hung up on how your dipshit racist ancestor might be portayed 70-100+ years ago

Moms for Liberty sounds a lot like Daughters of the Confederacy. Any possible connection? :thunk:

To be fair to the anti-CRT people, some of the states did pass laws that were basically just messaging/intimidation to teachers and didn't actually do anything.

The Tennessee law is particularly egregious and expansive.

Moms for Liberty isn't affiliated with Daughters of the Confederacy.

They are a group that started with organized anti-mask mandate protests at Florida school board meetings and have expanded nationwide to include CRT, masks, vaccines, and trans issues. It is funded primarily by one rich businessman who has drunk the Kool-Aid and seems to think that American schools are actually brainwashing factories that teach people to hate the country and Christianity. The group is now tied-in financially with a bunch of "mainstream" conservative political groups now and expanded to all 50 states.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

So, yeah, a Daughters of the Confederacy reboot.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

Anyone want to shine the "Not All Republican Voters," Signal and see what hero appears to tell us how this isn't a big deal and in fact the left should be appropriating CRT Critiques because its such an obvious vote-winner instead of telling parents their wrong?

Well don't worry, because it surely won't lead to more familial estrangement either.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

It's not a big deal. The districts where anti-CRT stuff gets traction are already deep red. It's actually funny how this is the best conservatives can do to provoke a culture war. In the 50s and 60s it was the fear of communism through race-mixing. The 70s and 80s gave us the drug war and satanic panic. The 90s and 00s were about islamophobia and welfare queens stealing your tax dollars. Now we're down to schoolboard debates over whether or not firehoses hurt.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 29, 2021

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Are you under the impression that this is some kind of actual grassroots org rather than a thunderingly obvious astroturf outfit

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Are you under the impression that this is some kind of actual grassroots org rather than a thunderingly obvious astroturf outfit

There were literally people in here recently arguing we should cede the CRT ground because it's an albatross around our necks and "schools aren't teaching it anyway," which is what that post was referring to

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Yeah that's more on Tennessee using the hype to slip in the once every 5 year attempt by a state to ban teaching about why slavery and apartheid is wrong. This one is a bit bolder than normal but these almost always fail when the lawsuit actually hits, because Tennessee as a state is limited by the first amendment and that makes even banning state officials like teachers from saying things very hard. Likely it will fail because Tennessee cannot ban devolved school boards from teaching material that is not objectionable under the first amendment such as religious materials. School boards get a lot of discretion by the way, it's crazy.

Edit: The best general statement to respond with to acronym accusations is "I believe students have a right to a complete, accurate, and unbiased education. Call that whatever you want."

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 29, 2021

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's not a big deal. The districts where anti-CRT stuff gets traction are already deep red. It's actually funny how this is the best conservatives can do to provoke a culture war. In the 50s and 60s it was the fear of communism through race-mixing. The 70s and 80s gave us the drug war and satanic panic. In the 90s and 00s it was welfare queens stealing your tax dollars. Now we're down to schoolboard debates over whether or not firehoses hurt.

Maybe it won’t change the political outcomes, but Tennessee embracing basically a white supremacist curriculum in public schools seems like a big deal to me.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

afaik David Shor isn't a goon, and I haven't seen anyone itt advise appropriating CRT critiques.

Are you directing this toward anyone in particular, and if so, would you like to quote them? Or is this just another crank against the imaginary crimes of the left?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

afaik David Shor isn't a goon, and I haven't seen anyone itt advise appropriating CRT critiques.

Are you directing this toward anyone in particular, and if so, would you like to quote them? Or is this just another crank against the imaginary crimes of the left?

I think it's referring to the exchange these are part of:

VitalSigns posted:

So given that he wasn't going to run that kind of campaign ever, then yeah within the choices he allowed himself it probably would have been smarter to say "we aren't gonna teach CRT" which is even actually true, and at least won't piss off the people who don't get the dog whistle and don't know they're supposed to be mad little Mason learned who Rosa Parks was.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So, like, they aren't actually teaching CRT in schools below the college level, and never have been, and almost certainly never will be.
gently caress it, let the Right have its imaginary victory in exchange for concessions. Agree to mandate an immediate end to the teaching of Critical Race Theory in all public schools in exchange for some sort of concessions.

I think this was at the start of it. This got read as "liberals are bad for saying CRT is racist"

Grouchio posted:

https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/status/1460649487114948620?s=20
Heres the 'Strategists':
1. Jim Manley, aide of Harry Reid
2. Jesse Ferguson
3. Chris Taylor, DCCC spokesman
4. Josh Manley
5. Sean Maloney, DCCC Chair
6. Celinda Lake

These are the people screaming "We just didn't call the angry parents foolish racists hard enough" as a strategy. They must be discredited if we are to keep seats.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 29, 2021

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I love the "nobody is saying that" routine, it's like clockwork.

I don't entirely agree with the posts you quoted, but it's a pretty big stretch to claim that they are advocating the Dems adopting right-wing critiques of CRT. Saying that the Dems should say "CRT isn't being taught to kids; that's a college-level thing" isn't remotely the same thing as saying "The Dems should say CRT shouldn't be taught because it's anti-American and traumatizing to our kids."

e: ah, you edited.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh NOW they understand microaggressions

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Arist posted:

There were literally people in here recently arguing we should cede the CRT ground because it's an albatross around our necks and "schools aren't teaching it anyway," which is what that post was referring to

That was like one poster who was super into the idea and it was dumb and Sanguinia appears to be trying to conflate that poster with a different argument they had over their own weird bugbear about the collective sinfulness of The Bad Voters

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

The only way to fight shibboleths is to make your own position very clear, preferably without stepping on a political land mine like saying parents shouldn't have a say in their kids education. Say something broad, clear and concise. Never use the shibboleths themselves because that gets quote mined.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Barrel Cactaur posted:

The only way to fight shibboleths is to make your own position very clear, preferably without stepping on a political land mine like saying parents shouldn't have a say in their kids education. Say something broad, clear and concise. Never use the shibboleths themselves because that gets quote mined.

P much. “I think a clear understanding of history is essential to helping create good citizens. Now you tell me what’s wrong with MLK.”

Just make them explain on your terms. Never let them set the terms of the debate. Don’t discuss fiction either—“What’s next, are you going to decide what they can watch at home? Busybodies like you just cannot stay out of everyone else’s business, can they?”

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

That was like one poster who was super into the idea and it was dumb and Sanguinia appears to be trying to conflate that poster with a different argument they had over their own weird bugbear about the collective sinfulness of The Bad Voters

"Collective sinfulness" is basically the motto for this thread. It's very easy to go "you liberals said X!" (where "liberal" means "person I don't like") or "the thread consensus is Y" when, in fact we're a bunch of individual morons with our own opinions and beliefs.

I think that's why we get "nobody said that" invoked so often, frequently incorrectly.

I think the existence of a parallel thread that spends a good amount of time making GBS threads on takes from this one only encourages that kind of team sports attitude, but that's a decision above my pay grade.

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Completely agreed, but you still end up with "why won't Obama say radical islamic terrorism???" situations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fire that whole family into the sun

https://twitter.com/schwartzbcnbc/status/1465404508473864198?s=21

New documents showing Chris’ involvement came out through the Cuomo investigations by the NY AG

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fire that whole family into the sun

https://twitter.com/schwartzbcnbc/status/1465404508473864198?s=21

New documents showing Chris’ involvement came out through the Cuomo investigations by the NY AG

Would be great if he lost his show over this. The guy is kind of a bloviating jackass on the best of days.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I think this was at the start of it. This got read as "liberals are bad for saying CRT is racist"

Ah, ok. Pointing out that there's no such thing as CRT being taught is different from the original crank that leftists love conservatives & want to smooch their lips, so I was correct that it was a distorted interpretation.

eta:

jesus christ, how does chris cuomo still have his cnn job?

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 29, 2021

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Ah, ok. Pointing out that there's no such thing as CRT being taught is different from the original crank that leftists love conservatives & want to smooch their lips, so I was correct that it was a distorted interpretation.

I'll let the poster speak for themselves, but I think that's a poor paraphrase.

"leftists love conservatives & want to smooch their lips" is about as dumb as "liberals think everyone who voted Republican is an unredeemable fascist"

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Some leftist posters find it really convenient to use right wing media to get material to trash liberals, and are pretty half-assed about fact checking it because of motivated reasoning" is an absolutely factually true statement and not the same thing as "leftists love conservatives."

I also don't think there's anything pro-conservative about Shor's views on CRT, and I absolutely don't think anybody here is saying that Democrats should start repeating lies about CRT. In fact, I think it's a good idea to say "this guy is absolutely just lying to your face about this stuff"; at the very least it's a better thing to say than "parents should have no control".

\/\/\/\/\/ Fair 'nuff!

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 29, 2021

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ And if they'd said it that way I wouldn't have called it out. :)

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'll let the poster speak for themselves, but I think that's a poor paraphrase.

"leftists love conservatives & want to smooch their lips" is about as dumb as "liberals think everyone who voted Republican is an unredeemable fascist"

I don't know that it's any more of a distortion than "Anyone want to shine the 'Not All Republican Voters,' Signal and see what hero appears to tell us how this isn't a big deal and in fact the left should be appropriating CRT Critiques because its such an obvious vote-winner instead of telling parents their wrong?" but there's plenty of hyperbole to go around!

I can't believe this chris cuomo crap:

quote:

On March 12, Chris Cuomo sent a text message to DeRosa with a full written statement for the governor.

“I will not resign, I cannot resign,” the texted statement reads. “I understand the political pressure I understand the stakes of political warfare, and that’s what this is… And I understand the conformity that can be forced by cancel culture,” it also says.

It sure is a thing to see a CNN anchor slam "cancel culture" in the name of his sexpest brother.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 29, 2021

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kinda wild that the most detailed accounting I’ve ever read of a talking head doing actual shoe leather reporting was in service to shutting up accusations of abuse of power.

These folks don’t work for us, that’s for sure.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Eric Adams has narrowed his picks for Police Commissioner and DOE chancellor down to top three candidates and will announce his final decisions after he returns from Ghana on Dec 8.

Adams is (somewhat surprisingly) considering making a black officer who has been supportive of police reform the new NYPD commissioner.

quote:

He says former NYPD brass and longtime friend Phil Banks is under consideration because he was never found guilty in a federal corruption probe.

But, he had to leave the police force in 2014 because he had an unexplained $300,000 that he never paid taxes on in a different bank account. He never admitted where the money came from, but the federal prosecutors never proved that he received it from corruption.

So, New York may get a moderately pro-reform NYPD commissioner, but the only one in the running is also one who was likely taking kickbacks for years.

New York politics are a ~*~ land of contrasts ~*~

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Abner Assington posted:

:lol:

When I think of "pragmatic problem solving and people who can just get things done," it ain't the Democratic Party.

Depends. Is the problem that you pay too much tax on your million dollar house? Then Democrats can fix that problem.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll cop to actually liking Cuomo's call-in show a lot; his actual opinions are just as milquetoast as his brothers' but he doesn't make his show about his own opinions (despite an off-puttingly gigantic ego). A lot of it is about why people believe factually untrue things, why people hold hateful or self-defeating views and what it takes to get them to change their views. (I've actually never watched his CNN show ever.)

So I've been willing to defend him up until now, because I do believe as a media personality he is talented and seemed well-intentioned, but that defense ends today. This is far too big of an ethical lapse. Whatever I think of his talent he's certainly not such an amazing outlier that he should be able to abuse his position like this, and for such an awful reason.

(And whatever CNN does with his show and whatever Sirius XM POTUS does with the call-in show I'm done listening to or watching him.)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 29, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The National Labor Relations Board ruled that Amazon unfairly interfered with their union election in Alabama.

Ordered to pay fines, hold a new election, and pay all costs for new election.

The vote was more than 2:1 against the union, so it seems pretty unlikely that it will succeed this time, but it's still good to not let Amazon keep the results of the initial election if they pull that stuff.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1465419679762194451

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

I'll cop to actually liking Cuomo's call-in show a lot; his actual opinions are just as milquetoast as his brothers' but he doesn't make his show about his own opinions (despite an off-puttingly gigantic ego). A lot of it is about why people believe factually untrue things, why people hold hateful or self-defeating views and what it takes to get them to change their views. (I've actually never watched his CNN show ever.)

So I've been willing to defend him up until now, because I do believe as a media personality he is talented and seemed well-intentioned, but that defense ends today. This is far too big of an ethical lapse. Whatever I think of his talent he's certainly not such an amazing outlier that he should be able to abuse his position like this, and for such an awful reason.

(And whatever CNN does with his show and whatever Sirius XM POTUS does with the call-in show I'm done listening to or watching him.)

Huh, you'd think he would be using some of those skills right now to convince himself his brother really is a creep.