Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Splicer posted:

Wait that's the thing people were hiring children with disabilities to abuse?

Jesus christ.

Nope, slightly related but different thing.

Seriously folks watch the documentary, it’s weirdly intriguing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
2 hour docu about a disney cut in line pass no im good

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
a little late to gay Santa chat, but I love how there were comments bitching about how the commercial defiled the sanctity of Santa and Mrs. Claus's marriage, that this would mean he was cheating.

Like, have these people missed out on the historical trend of Incredibly Horny Christmas songs about wanting to bone Santa?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alaois posted:

well your memory is wrong because you're talking about fastpass and you could only get one at a time

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That system became completely broken from being overused, tied to a broken app in the rush to make apps of everything, and used as a way to promote SYNERGY! with Disneys other products which is what the documentary’s about.

teen witch posted:

Nope, slightly related but different thing.

Seriously folks watch the documentary, it’s weirdly intriguing!
I just finished watching it with my wife and learned two things:

1) We lucked into going when Disneyland was still using the original paper fastpass, and similarly unwittingly lucked into the couple of edge cases where you can have two fastpasses at once.
2) lol. lmao. If you like clusterfucks watch the whole thing it's amazing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

2 hour docu about a disney cut in line pass no im good
It's a 45 minute documentary on queue theory, a 30 minute case study of one company doing it extremely right, and a 30 minute case study of the same company burning it all to the ground.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Seriously if you like 99% invisible watch it because it’s very much the same style of: there’s a lot going on in stuff you take for granted everyday here’s the details on it. If you don’t like that sort of thing you won’t enjoy it, but I watched the whole thing and I have a terrible millennial attention span

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
I watch long videos like that on 2x speed and it helps my ADHD brain to both pay attention and understand better because I don't forget what a sentence/section/topic is about by the time it finishes.
Loved that video and I've never set foot in a Disney Park.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Defunctland in general is this good all the time. He started out with pretty short videos on well-known attractions like Back to the Future and Pleasure Island, but has since moved into doing really deep dives on both known attractions with a lot of detail people might not know about and very obscure ones or even canceled projects. For example, did you know Disney tried building an America-themed theme park right next to a Civil War battlefield?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oqDqnQR5Aw

The ironic twist is the park probably really would have economically revitalized the area and increased tourism and the protests to block its construction just resulted in the site getting turned into a useless McMansion suburb and all of the incentives to improve the highway infrastructure nearby got canceled.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alaois posted:

well your memory is wrong because you're talking about fastpass and you could only get one at a time

On paper you’re only supposed to get one*, but in practice the rides aren’t always communicating with each other, so you can get multiple passes with no one being the wiser.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Splicer posted:

It's a 45 minute documentary on queue theory, a 30 minute case study of one company doing it extremely right, and a 30 minute case study of the same company burning it all to the ground.

And a verrrrry low key video on class disparity. By and large Defunctland’s best, and I’ve yet to watch a poo poo video by them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hope whoever made these loving google fi adds falls into traffic

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

What's the name of the documentary?

EDIT: It's this one, I think.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
These unskippable 15 second twee and unbearable google commercials really make me want to not spend money on google

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

This was in the Schadenfreude thread but it seemed like a good fit here.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Calaveron posted:

These unskippable 15 second twee and unbearable google commercials really make me want to not spend money on google

I'd love to get a glimpse into the mind of whatever dipshit thinks those Liberty Mutual commercials are the least bit clever or appealing. I would pay real and actual cash money for a YouTube adblocker for my PS3.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This was in the Schadenfreude thread but it seemed like a good fit here.

Pay as low as 3/5ths of the original sale price.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'd love to get a glimpse into the mind of whatever dipshit thinks those Liberty Mutual commercials are the least bit clever or appealing. I would pay real and actual cash money for a YouTube adblocker for my PS3.

Is youtube premium not supported on the PS3?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think it's implied that they will pay real money to anybody who isn't google, as is meet and good

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

My ex thinks the limu emu is the funniest loving thing ever.

Does a pi hole get you around YouTube ads?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

My ex thinks the limu emu is the funniest loving thing ever.

Does a pi hole get you around YouTube ads?

Don't think so. Youtube serves ads from the Youtube.com domain now and not from a third party url/server. So very difficult to block.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Weirdly, I never get ads on YouTube on my PC with UBlock Origin running. I don't know what magic is happening but I hope it doesn't stop.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't get youtube ads with ublock origin installed, but really only in Chrome. If I use Firefox they semi-regularly start showing up again, I'm convinced Google is more lenient for Chrome users just to boost their userbase.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't get youtube ads with ublock origin installed, but really only in Chrome. If I use Firefox they semi-regularly start showing up again, I'm convinced Google is more lenient for Chrome users just to boost their userbase.

That seems odd. I use Firefox and I never have a youtube ad show itself with ublock Origin.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

i will laugh at "wet teddy bears" every single time and not feel an ounce of shame

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

HopperUK posted:

That seems odd. I use Firefox and I never have a youtube ad show itself with ublock Origin.

Hmm, maybe it's not as common as I thought, it's definitely happened a few times. I've switched back to Chrome afterwards though, so it's not like I'm constantly testing it.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
My husband gets noting but ads for fried chicken because he started getting Zaxby adds when we moved near one, he didn't skip the ads because the chicken looked good, now all his ads are for chicken, he doesn't skip the chicken ads, it's an Ouroboros. He gets self conscious about it and I tell him to just skip the ad and stop letting the full 2 minute commercial play. But he says no, he can't skip the chicken once he sees it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I can deal with most ads, I just wish there was a way to completely rule out certain categories of ads!

- Anything to do with children's products (diapers, etc)...I do not have children and never will, so this means nothing to me. I imagine this could hurt someone who just lost a child or can't have kids of their own; it just annoys me.

- Similarly, I don't smoke tobacco/nicotine and never will. STOP SHOWING ME "TOBACCO IS BAD" ADS, I ALREADY KNOW THIS AND THUS DO NOT SMOKE IT.

- Alcohol ads! I've been a mild-to-moderate alcoholic (used to be 2 liters of wine a night; now I'm at two bottles a week) for the past five years or so, and while drinking ads don't trigger me, they still make me temporarily pout for a drink. I imagine it's much worse for people who are trying (or have succeeded) to put booze behind them for good.

Pasketti posted:

But he says no, he can't skip the chicken once he sees it.

Tell him I said :same:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

On Youtube TV, for months, I got one ad that just repeated over and over during every ad break. It was Dua Lipa drinking some brand of hard seltzer.

I have come to really despise her despite knowing nothing about her. Except that she's multilingual and a dog owner. No one is just one flavor!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Nostradingus posted:

On Youtube TV, for months, I got one ad that just repeated over and over during every ad break. It was Dua Lipa drinking some brand of hard seltzer.

I have come to really despise her despite knowing nothing about her. Except that she's multilingual and a dog owner. No one is just one flavor!

The only hard seltzer ads I tolerate are the Topo Chico hard seltzer ads, because I have a huge crush on the lady in them. :colbert:
https://vimeo.com/565865473

(Dua Lipa is a wonderfully talented artist (Future Nostalgia IS best pop album of 2020), but her current boyfriend (younger brother of Gigi and Bella Hadid) has voiced some anti-vaxxer sentiments. I believe she got in some trouble for making some Twitter posts that were described as Albanian nationalism, but I frankly don't know enough about the politics in that area of the world to comment. :patriot:)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, Dua Lipa and John Cena are probably the two most outspoken anti-Serbian, pro-Albanian celebrities.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Pasketti posted:

Dumb Marketing Moves: He can't skip the chicken once he sees it.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, Dua Lipa and John Cena are probably the two most outspoken anti-Serbian, pro-Albanian celebrities.

John Cena never said that

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

He said that you son of a bitch

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

He did call Taiwan a country and then had to apologize to China.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
John Cena hasn't been the same since he joined ISIS.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Splicer posted:

I just finished watching it with my wife and learned two things:

1) We lucked into going when Disneyland was still using the original paper fastpass, and similarly unwittingly lucked into the couple of edge cases where you can have two fastpasses at once.
2) lol. lmao. If you like clusterfucks watch the whole thing it's amazing.

This was my take away.

My two trips to Disney were once with the original and once with the new one and I could not figure out the new one and it sucked so much and I was genuinely confused why it was all so much worse than I remembered it being

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm also getting these haireatingly-dumb ads targeted at me, the small business owner (NB I do not own a small business)

"You tired of some gen y dipshit doing big emotions for engagement?"
"Uh"
"Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice here comes a bunch of dumb assholes with open mouths and I hope you're not confined to bed"

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

I liked the one with the kids jumping rope; it reminded me I should re-watch Akira.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

About a year ago I had a kid staying over that made these really cool Harry Potter wands out of knitting needles and clay and stuff, really creative and he was good at it. He used youtube videos as guides and inspiration, so for about a week it'd be like 2 hours of Harry Potter diy videos on repeat.

I think the Algorithm must've decided then I really, really love Harry Potter, connected that to Facebook, and for the past year or so 80% of the suggested posts and pages in my feed are Harry Potter related. (The other 20% are mostly asian and middle eastern street food, which I don't mind.)

It's always the dumbest fanfic poo poo you expect from the Harry Potter fanbase too. This is how each house would act during lockdown. This is what Snape would look like in the 80s. 10 reasons why Dobby would be the bestest president ever.

I've been trying to game the Algorithm a bit by engaging which stuff I don't actually mind, which is how I got the street food stuff, but the Harry Potter poo poo just. will. not. stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
We bought our first house earlier this year so there have been a lot of tools and stuff we've had to buy. The algorithm does an excellent job of serving up ads for things that we just bought. Not even general types of things, the specific item. If we just ordered a DeWalt power drill it doesn't serve up ads for competing power drills or other DeWalt tools, it gives us a week's worth of ads for DeWalt power drills. It's so specific as to be worthless.