Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I'm not sure that's really fair. Fights can have far higher player counts than a few years ago, and they haven't done it on the back of faster hardware. That's not to say that many parts of the engine probably need real re-writes, of course.

You're not wrong. But it's still more of the same right?

The game plays exactly like a game that is designed and implemented in SQL and network code. They've never added a game system that doesn't fit this model.

Maybe Abyssal filaments? Not sure how those work specifically in their backend.

They did manage to move the skill queue into a separate service, but CCP monkey's paw made sure to gently caress that up with the lovely skill UI update that came with it.

I guess my point is that even their technical stack is outpacing their game design at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ajaxify posted:

You're not wrong. But it's still more of the same right?

The game plays exactly like a game that is designed and implemented in SQL and network code. They've never added a game system that doesn't fit this model.

Maybe Abyssal filaments? Not sure how those work specifically in their backend.

They did manage to move the skill queue into a separate service, but CCP monkey's paw made sure to gently caress that up with the lovely skill UI update that came with it.

I guess my point is that even their technical stack is outpacing their game design at this point.

Eh, I thought that PI (added in what, 2010?) was technically clever. It's a fully deterministic simulation that takes exactly zero server resources until someone physically looks at their planets. Too bad its UI is a garbage fire.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i would get back into PI if they would just let you save factory layouts :negative:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Dieting Hippo posted:

i would get back into PI if they would just let you save factory layouts :negative:

Something so simple yet absolutely incredible and necessary.

Seeing as how they didn’t have saved fits until what, 5 years ago? You have another 15 or so until that feature gets implemented.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Dieting Hippo posted:

:same:

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Dieting Hippo posted:

PI generates huge amounts of clicks in game, which adds to engagement metrics.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Ynglaur posted:

I'm not sure that's really fair. Fights can have far higher player counts than a few years ago, and they haven't done it on the back of faster hardware. That's not to say that many parts of the engine probably need real re-writes, of course.

Theoretically, you can have bigger fights now, but with the cost of everything worth flying up 6900%, good luck finding someone that wants to commit a fleet.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Charles 1998 posted:

PI generates huge amounts of clicks in game, which adds to engagement metrics.

:ohgod: it probably is this isn't it.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Gun modules now must be primed before each cycle by clicking on the module until an arbitrary amount of clicks has been passed to the server

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Loading turrets by using VR controls to chamber one shell at a time.

Okay I'm bad at being bittervet. I used my free SP to inject Dictor and I've been having a ton of fun. No complaints.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

Loading turrets by using VR controls to chamber one shell at a time.

Okay I'm bad at being bittervet.

i hear star citizen is hiring gameplay designers though

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

NtotheTC posted:

i hear star citizen is hiring gameplay designers though

I don't get it. But then I never played that game.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

I don't get it. But then I never played that game.

nobody has- it's a game crowdfunding scam that promised "incredible high fidelity gameplay" where you would be able to command a ship that had a crew of 100 actual online players, like you would need a player whose job it was to literally load ammo into your ships guns full time in battles

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

NtotheTC posted:

nobody has- it's a game crowdfunding scam that promised "incredible high fidelity gameplay" where you would be able to command a ship that had a crew of 100 actual online players, like you would need a player whose job it was to literally load ammo into your ships guns full time in battles

Doesn't sound very fun.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
It’s pretty incredible that some games are trying to push the envelope to realism that you just gotta ask why not just, uh, do that job in real life?

Like, you can be a city planner or a baker or a soldier or a car mechanic…

Realism as escapism is actually very 21st century I suppose.

gently caress this Earth.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
they made a loving lawnmower simulator

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Mr. Grinch posted:

they made a loving lawnmower simulator

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
There's also a Goat Simulator, 10/10 would conduct satanic rites with innocent citizens again

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hasn't that been a mainstay of the Zelda series since forever

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

NtotheTC posted:

Feliday Melody posted:

Doesn't sound very fun.
Puzzle Pirates did this and it was quite fun.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
i could fix eve in a single day as head devopper

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

if your answer isn't "turn off the servers permanently" I'm not sure I believe you :colbert:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

i can easily picture the first day on the job being the single act of pouring pepsi max on all the servers until the magic smoke comes out.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

hasn't that been a mainstay of the Zelda series since forever

Zelda is actually just doing other people’s errands.

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

Boatswain posted:

Is Delta still active? I got in at the start for a second but mostly AU/US tz put me off.

There's already a threat complaining about GSOL :sun:

We became a New World squad for a couple of weeks but we have now schismed into competing factorio and ffxiv factions. Come play!

Fqubed
Dec 12, 2013

A few drop tables, a few unplugged serves and we all win

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i actually logged in to see if the directors kept a promise and guess what they didn't. corp mail monday and no corp mails.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

andromache posted:

We became a New World squad for a couple of weeks but we have now schismed into competing factorio and ffxiv factions. Come play!

WaifuSqad for lyfe!

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

ded posted:

i actually logged in to see if the directors kept a promise and guess what they didn't. corp mail monday and no corp mails.

Someone whined about this a few weeks ago when I happened to be working from home and I logged in and enabled them.

Then did not turn them off at the end of the day.

Guess someone got too spammy.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
director apathy leading to the downfall of goons

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

ded posted:

director apathy leading to the downfall of goons

Goons invicta :colbert:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
so what can i do with my complimentary corvette ingame?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

dialhforhero posted:

Zelda is actually just doing other people’s errands.

Minicurve started playing wow and it’s gotten *worse*. They condensed the levels, and made everything scale with level like elder scrolls, and I watched her spend two levels just walking from area to area clicking glowing things for the NPC 4 ft away.

Also you can do quests in areas that you can fly, but the rewards will be half as much as the new shiny extra special areas in which you can’t says the wow dev picking up his big stick.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

TheWeedNumber posted:

meme ECM Ibis

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

TheWeedNumber posted:

Shoot the jita monument

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ded posted:

Maybe ask about it in AAD.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
real men post in AAD

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
1) delay local by 15-90 seconds scaled to the dbs of the system, lower the dbs the faster local appears.
2) the dbs' range is now from 100% to 250%. the most ratted in system is 100%, and the least is 250%. it's only effected by isk in bounties killed, not number of rats or how many player ships are destroyed weighted by an hourly average, daily average, and weekly average, with the first being weighted by a sixth, the middle being worth a third, and the latter worth a half in weighting.
3) undo mega rorq nerfs, disallow a rorq from dumping drones into a mobile depot, reduce PANIC time by 33.333333333333%
4) reduce skiff/procurer ehp/remove a midslot by ~25-30%, give all barges/exhumers 5% more mining yield per skill level, apply it to mining drones too :).
5) revert surgical strike other than the +20% damage to short range ammo
6) fully passive moon mining for 75% of the ore value, deposited once a week after mining has begun, paused at any time a structure is reinforced (optional system)
7) all citadels and pos in pochven explode, none to ever be anchored ever again. remove any security status need for entering any system. alpha clones cannot enter pochven or wormhole space except for thera
8) lock all fwar tiers to tier 4, defending or attacking any plex provides a full payout, defending a system at 0% contested provides no payout. only players engaged in factional warfare can enter medium/small/novice plexes in factional warfare. remove all fwar mission agents and put 3 of each level in one system on the edge of the warzone, then double the payouts. also completing a mission where the destination gives u progress to capping a system. citadels in fwar space can only be anchored by corporations in the war, become low power and unfueled upon leaving the war, and can only be docked in by members of the winning faction. structures can also not be transferred to another corporation while in the warzone. only the amarr-minmatar or caldari-gallente warzone is active at at time, it rotates on a 4 month period. add some cool winning rewards or something depending on how much u contributed, would be cool
9) reduce highsec incursion payouts and lp by 25%, and increase lowsec/nullsec incursion payouts by 30%. remove the abilities for caps to enter incursion sites. reduce orca mining yield by 50% but made mining laser upgrades give 25% each but u gotta waste ur lowslots lmoa
10) the act of opening a wreck removes your warp landing immunity. if you die within 5 seconds of looting a wreck what you took is moved back into the wreck as if you never looted it
11) abyssals are removed from the game. (optional rule, they cannot be activated in highsec and they appear as warpable beacons everywhere else)
12)pi factory layouts, remove the annoyingness related to a setup working on some planets and not on others because the planet size is bigger and the connections just barely make it not work or w.e. linkable pi setups in game. sentry guns on poco that has ai that rivals posses of old,. so they mostly shoot hostiles or once in a blue moon dunk a friendly for no reason, that'd be cool
13)ess now provides (20-5%, scaling down) of whatever is in the bank (up to 1b payout) per week to whoever owns the system. keys are no longer required to rob the bank things, you just go there and start sucking after a delay
14)reduce prices of dreads to prenerf , double dd damage and cooldown, remove dread invuln damage controls
15)nothing is nullified except for shuttles, end of discussion
16) missions now give 20% bonus to rewards per sec status below 1.0, instead of 10%
17) warp disruptor sentry guns in all sites that disrupt u but die instantly once the site is complete, they point u till u clear anom or u kill it, they do not auto aggressed by drones
18) ore is no longer distributed based on high/low/null, make it so every region can supply it's own poo poo, it's a loving massive universe gently caress u ccp
19) ok schizo posting is over

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

1) delay local by 15-90 seconds scaled to the dbs of the system, lower the dbs the faster local appears.
2) the dbs' range is now from 100% to 250%. the most ratted in system is 100%, and the least is 250%. it's only effected by isk in bounties killed, not number of rats or how many player ships are destroyed weighted by an hourly average, daily average, and weekly average, with the first being weighted by a sixth, the middle being worth a third, and the latter worth a half in weighting.
3) undo mega rorq nerfs, disallow a rorq from dumping drones into a mobile depot, reduce PANIC time by 33.333333333333%
4) reduce skiff/procurer ehp/remove a midslot by ~25-30%, give all barges/exhumers 5% more mining yield per skill level, apply it to mining drones too :).
5) revert surgical strike other than the +20% damage to short range ammo
6) fully passive moon mining for 75% of the ore value, deposited once a week after mining has begun, paused at any time a structure is reinforced (optional system)
7) all citadels and pos in pochven explode, none to ever be anchored ever again. remove any security status need for entering any system. alpha clones cannot enter pochven or wormhole space except for thera
8) lock all fwar tiers to tier 4, defending or attacking any plex provides a full payout, defending a system at 0% contested provides no payout. only players engaged in factional warfare can enter medium/small/novice plexes in factional warfare. remove all fwar mission agents and put 3 of each level in one system on the edge of the warzone, then double the payouts. also completing a mission where the destination gives u progress to capping a system. citadels in fwar space can only be anchored by corporations in the war, become low power and unfueled upon leaving the war, and can only be docked in by members of the winning faction. structures can also not be transferred to another corporation while in the warzone. only the amarr-minmatar or caldari-gallente warzone is active at at time, it rotates on a 4 month period. add some cool winning rewards or something depending on how much u contributed, would be cool
9) reduce highsec incursion payouts and lp by 25%, and increase lowsec/nullsec incursion payouts by 30%. remove the abilities for caps to enter incursion sites. reduce orca mining yield by 50% but made mining laser upgrades give 25% each but u gotta waste ur lowslots lmoa
10) the act of opening a wreck removes your warp landing immunity. if you die within 5 seconds of looting a wreck what you took is moved back into the wreck as if you never looted it
11) abyssals are removed from the game. (optional rule, they cannot be activated in highsec and they appear as warpable beacons everywhere else)
12)pi factory layouts, remove the annoyingness related to a setup working on some planets and not on others because the planet size is bigger and the connections just barely make it not work or w.e. linkable pi setups in game. sentry guns on poco that has ai that rivals posses of old,. so they mostly shoot hostiles or once in a blue moon dunk a friendly for no reason, that'd be cool
13)ess now provides (20-5%, scaling down) of whatever is in the bank (up to 1b payout) per week to whoever owns the system. keys are no longer required to rob the bank things, you just go there and start sucking after a delay
14)reduce prices of dreads to prenerf , double dd damage and cooldown, remove dread invuln damage controls
15)nothing is nullified except for shuttles, end of discussion
16) missions now give 20% bonus to rewards per sec status below 1.0, instead of 10%
17) warp disruptor sentry guns in all sites that disrupt u but die instantly once the site is complete, they point u till u clear anom or u kill it, they do not auto aggressed by drones
18) ore is no longer distributed based on high/low/null, make it so every region can supply it's own poo poo, it's a loving massive universe gently caress u ccp
19) ok schizo posting is over

:same:

This list is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Foehammer007 posted:

real men post in AADhelldump

fixed that for you hope you don't mind