Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
why arent there mroe games localized where i can be a boy and kiss the boy's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

well i dunno about that, unless you're only counting Big Releases and why would you
the library of gay japanese rpgmaker games is literally endless, i assure you im not only counting big releases

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i mean is the the output from everywhere else in the world not similarly endless

people have probably published 5 games featuring gay romance on itch.io as we've been typing this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

why arent there mroe games localized where i can be a boy and kiss the boy's
sadly i dont think bl games do as well on steam as yuri ones, feel like most dude-focused VNs on steam are otome games. combine that with in terms of rpgs, girl-focused rpgs like atelier or blue reflection being pretty common but it being pretty rare to get a game thats mostly dudes and leans into that as an aesthetic instead of it just being a serious gritty war story or w/e and yeah, you do kinda have that vibe.

there's a decent amount of that stuff tho. tales of zestiria is not a very good game but mikleo and sorey are cute. and zaveid saying they should perv on the girls and sorey literally not understanding the concept, like not even in a 'what thatd be bad' way but not understanding the concept of being sexually attracted to women, is probably the best joke in the game. still do not recommend playing tales of zestiria.

i like the sega saturn rpg where you have to enter a secret code at the start of the game in order to be gay with this guy

Amppelix posted:

i mean is the the output from everywhere else in the world not similarly endless
idk i think japan having both an extremely dedicated indie scene (versus the western one where it blowing up the way it has with twine games is relatively recent, tho ofc indie games existed before then but there wasn't as much of a platform or distribution method compared to doujin stuff) and a codified genre/market for gay stuff is what pushes it over the edge. like im not saying japan is the Most Gay just that confluence of factors means it has an chartable history going back to the 80s that feels more random and scattershot in the west until the like 2010s.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
something about the general otome aesthetic doesn't appeal to me, despite multiple attempts. "what a shame" - jc denton

for whatever reason the western VN scene seems to be generally lesbian-focused. probably just a reflection of the demographics interested in them, maybe

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

something about the general otome aesthetic doesn't appeal to me, despite multiple attempts. "what a shame" - jc denton
yeah im not suuuper into the general anime fey dudes. there's some otome games with older dudes or buffer dudes but those ones also don't tend to get translated because the people wanna kiss pretty boys more.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

idk i think japan having both an extremely dedicated indie scene (versus the western one where it blowing up the way it has with twine games is relatively recent, tho ofc indie games existed before then but there wasn't as much of a platform or distribution method compared to doujin stuff) and a codified genre/market for gay stuff is what pushes it over the edge. like im not saying japan is the Most Gay just that confluence of factors means it has an chartable history going back to the 80s that feels more random and scattershot in the west until the like 2010s.
yeah i get what you mean i guess i just thought it was weird how you phrased it originally

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

yeah i get what you mean i guess i just thought it was weird how you phrased it originally
oh yeah like i said i get how you can have that read, def. didn't mean it like that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

i like the sega saturn rpg where you have to enter a secret code at the start of the game in order to be gay with this guy

game that launched the summon night series in a sense too, if you want a daisy chain of srpg series with random gay and gender stuff

actually maglam lord, the spiritual successor to the swordcraft games, is getting tled in a few months. curious about that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

yeah im not suuuper into the general anime fey dudes. there's some otome games with older dudes or buffer dudes but those ones also don't tend to get translated because the people wanna kiss pretty boys more.

everyone in them looks like they're a horny vampire character. even in stories which aren't explicitly about horny vampires, of which there are several i have seen

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh hey another batch of PS games are on sale, among them Ys 9, hmmm

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And Blue Reflection 1!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd buy blue reflection but i wanna get the atelier arland trilogy and koei tecmo prices them so high on steam even on sale i'd feel bad about grabbing both at once

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think this is underestimating the adventure/interactive fiction side of things a bit. there was a good chunk of lgbt stuff popping up in adventure games in the 90s (imo the last express lesbians are still one of the cuter couples). And there is probably a lot of forgotten stuff indie stuff before twine hit the scene. Ofc something like AGS never had the output as like Rpgmaker but I dunno if I would say its not even close on west vs japan.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
We should never forget Tracker McDyke

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah independent IF from the 90s is like the ultimate niche among niches. I sometimes wish someone would curate and release a collection of it even if parser based games aren't particularly popular anymore.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ignoring the rest of that post, I don't think I've ever seen a magical girl thing without at least one implied or explicit lesbian in it so it probably is a genre thing at this point. Though my genre knowledge isn't too extensive

The Colonel posted:

i'd buy blue reflection but i wanna get the atelier arland trilogy and koei tecmo prices them so high on steam even on sale i'd feel bad about grabbing both at once

BR2 is good but it's no Arland

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it varies but i think it started being more common around the 90s and especially 2000s. one funny thing to look at for that is cutie honey going from killing off cutie honey's gf in earlier versions of the material to re:cutie honey basically entirely being a lesbian action movie

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this is a tangent to the conversation but i would be interesting to read like a retrospective of like, what it was like to be lgbt in like, MUDs and stuff. like was there a gay scene in some of those games or were you mostly faced with homophobia.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Operencia: The Stolen Sun is only $9 on that ps sale, gonna grab that when my check comes in

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Snooze Cruise posted:

this is a tangent to the conversation but i would be interesting to read like a retrospective of like, what it was like to be lgbt in like, MUDs and stuff. like was there a gay scene in some of those games or were you mostly faced with homophobia.

A long-dead MUD and associated IRC was a huge part of how I found the terminology I needed to figure out "oh I'm bi" in the 90s. Took a lot longer to figure the rest of myself out, but that was a good first step and kept me from being even more of an rear end in a top hat than I was when I was younger. Maybe I got a lucky break but no, there were quite a few queers on there even if we did occasionally get a raid from trolls.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah independent IF from the 90s is like the ultimate niche among niches. I sometimes wish someone would curate and release a collection of it even if parser based games aren't particularly popular anymore.

think the current best resource on something like this would be IFDB, which took over from the venerable Baf's Guide after that went down. There's a lot of documentation of commercial releases, obviously, but going through the old telnet award lists (eg here or here) would be a good way to see what the independent communities were doing/liking at the time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Snooze Cruise posted:

While not quite the same thing, the BBC (at least I think it was then) has a documentary on BBS sites and a big chunk of that is how important it was to LGBT people

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

online spaces were really important to me as a baby gay in the 90's when every other conversation among my peers in school was them quoting eminem lyrics at each other

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hector Delgado posted:

Operencia: The Stolen Sun is only $9 on that ps sale, gonna grab that when my check comes in

Hell yeah!

One warning with the game is you will want some method of electrical damage for 2/3rds into the game and that a lot of things (including the end boss) start resisting poison

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

for whatever reason the western VN scene seems to be generally lesbian-focused. probably just a reflection of the demographics interested in them, maybe
I think it's fair to say that on average, at a population level, straight women like yuri more than straight men like BL. So, all other things being equal, I'd expect yuri to be more popular than BL just because it's more accessible. Of course demographics are a huge part of it, but the balance is tilted toward yuri from the very beginning.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I have a theory that on average, any given otome game has better writing than any given dating sim for men

But I have absolutely no way to prove it other than the whole "Men are attracted to looks, women are attracted to personalities" belief resulting in otome writers writing... actual characters rather than just pretty girls with quirks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
have you ever played a dating sim

the core foundation of all the ones people actually like, is that the characters are funny

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the convo around dating sims in the west is weird because you can never really be sure if a person is talking about like... just any game with routes or stuff like tokimeki memorial with some stat raising elements

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite dating sim is Phoenix Wright but I'm really bad at it and keep getting his love interests thrown in jail.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

FractalSandwich posted:

I think it's fair to say that on average, at a population level, straight women like yuri more than straight men like BL. So, all other things being equal, I'd expect yuri to be more popular than BL just because it's more accessible. Of course demographics are a huge part of it, but the balance is tilted toward yuri from the very beginning.

i mean this is specifically about the western vn scene right? im pretty sure outside of that BL is typically more popular.
i think its probably has more to do with lot of lgbt women in the western vn scene. i think compared to the rest of like, the western nerdy populace women tend to have a more favorable view on VNs cause of otome games and so that leads to a bit higher numbers of LGBT women getting involved in the scene compared to other spaces as well.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 30, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

My favorite dating sim is Phoenix Wright but I'm really bad at it and keep getting his love interests thrown in jail.

Duh, that's how he impresses the ladies; By getting them OUT of jail with his lawyer skills! :pseudo:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like to pretend that columbo is in a polycule with every killer on the show

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

have you ever played a dating sim

the core foundation of all the ones people actually like, is that the characters are funny

Well, there is a few different axes to consider too. I'm not an expert but having talked to someone who works in the industry, what Junpei said is apparently how it tends to trend for eroge at least. Probably less so for all ages stuff though.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Duh, that's how he impresses the ladies; By getting them OUT of jail with his lawyer skills! :pseudo:

Getting someone arrested at someone else's trial is the ultimate neg

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

every time i play an otome game I play a game with myself on whether i can guess which of the prettyboys is the one thats gonna do some insane poo poo like locking me in a cage for half the route (a thing that has actually happened in one)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Mix. posted:

every time i play an otome game I play a game with myself on whether i can guess which of the prettyboys is the one thats gonna do some insane poo poo like locking me in a cage for half the route (a thing that has actually happened in one)

Was the game in question Sweet Fuse by any chance?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know that the ever cruel forward march of time, it being 13 years since the last game and 3 years forward in time from those events is what's really responsible for my complaint but man, Beat's voice sounds weird.

NEO TWEWY btw.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snooze Cruise posted:

"Jus' one more t'ing; Would'cha like to go to dinna?"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

I have a theory that on average, any given otome game has better writing than any given dating sim for men

But I have absolutely no way to prove it other than the whole "Men are attracted to looks, women are attracted to personalities" belief resulting in otome writers writing... actual characters rather than just pretty girls with quirks
women love dating sims 'for men' is the thing. like the otome genre exists literally because of that. women were already playing those games and enjoying them and otome games were created to cater to them more specifically. thats why all the old dating sims like tokimeki have an otome game side series. there's a gender essentialism to how people view this stuff in the west that is not borne out by literally any actual evidence or historical precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

he's without question waiting for that wine guy to get out of prison to go on romantic picnics.