Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I preferred Himbo Mashymre to Emo Mashymre personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#0138 - Vibration

Chara is like my other favorite anime character, Ivan. They're both off the leash now, so beware!

Oh, you're just going to randomly spring Leina BEING ALIVE!? What is even going on?

Sayla "You could have at least sent a letter to your wife and son, you know?" Oh, I'm sorry, Sayla, I tried AND THE DUBLIN WAS CRUSHED UNDER A COLONY.

Leaving the door wide open for a possible Char return. Guess its too bad literally everyone knows about the next entry in the Gundam series.

Double Zeta got an upgrade, but are the missile pods jettisonable?

:rip: Lance, I guess.

Judau is the good guy with the gun in this series. :rip: Rakan, may many birds poo poo on your grave.

I swear animes only have three types of scientists. Glemy is dumb enough to pilot the manthis or whatever with Puru Two.

This does not look good for Roux. Or Elle. How is this the one time Glemy doesn't have a pistol and doesn't just shoot Judau as he leans out of his cockpit.

Woaaaah Space Madness! Okay that was legit the funniest thing they've done with Elpeo Puru.

Judau's either space jesus or space god at this point.

Finally, Glemy died. What a dumb way to accept his fate.

I have no words for this.

Everybody (worthwhile) lived, yay!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ibblebibble posted:

I preferred Himbo Mashymre to Emo Mashymre personally.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I swear animes only have three types of scientists.

Those who seek strength, those who live for pride, and those who can read the tide of battle?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#0139 - Warrior, Once More

With a title like that, who's coming back? Amuro? Kamille? Bright? Char?! It's gotta be Char, yeah?

Beecha doesn't understand Judau/Haman, at all. Too bad he's an idiot about most everything else and slaps Elle.

What're you planning to do, Haman? Throw Roses at Judau and hope it makes a difference? Interesting that she would see wearing a "normal suit" as beneath her as well.

About 12 black Quebeleys show up and perform some mating dance. :rip: Nee, I guess.

WHAT?! WHY!? THIS IS TWICE NOW!

*ironsheikhfuckingbullshit.wav*

Why are all these characters just willing to explode for literally no reason and barely, if any, gain?

Suddenly the Moussa collided with Core 3? I thought it'd already passed.

Apropos of nothing Haman ditches her Mobile Suit after Judau ejects. She then gets thumped on the wrist with a steel pipe and is completely fine.

Oh yeah sure space jedis also have magnetism and restoring power and mobility to Gundams.

Haman's personal philosophy is that everyone ends up alone, and I can't understand how that makes any sense, at all.

Haman LITERALLY with the "and I would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for you blasted kids"

Then she flies off and dies and is now spirit energy.

Ok Bright just has a thing for getting clocked by kids at this point.

Awwww what a nice ending.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chiasaur11 posted:

Those who seek strength, those who live for pride, and those who can read the tide of battle?

Old but no grey hair
Old with grey hair
Old and bald(ing)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Haman got put in charge of the fascist viper's nest that is Axis when she was fourteen years old, with barely any support structure and absolutely nobody she could trust. Think about what it must have cost her to get her where she is by Zeta and ZZ, and everything about her (including her attachment to the young idealist Judau) starts making sense.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I figured she was much older than that. Under those circumstances, yeah, its more believable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Old but no grey hair
Old with grey hair
Old and bald(ing)

I think I can disprove that theory quite handily... with the help of Kyoji!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

#0136 - Emary's Glory

[snip]

Taking a glancing blow from whatever the hell La Vie En Rose's stuff was and just casually shrugging it off.

Poor Emaly :( She's now a space ghost like the rest of them.

Taking potshots at a retreating enemy is always, ALWAYS a bad idea and idiot Emaly found out why.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

Taking potshots at a retreating enemy is always, ALWAYS a bad idea and idiot Emaly found out why.

Worked out for Yzak.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
You know what?

What happened to Yazan? Its been so long and I don't recall him dying.

Yazan!!!!

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You know what?

Yazan!!!!

He fell into a manhole.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You know what?

Yazan!!!!

He was actually seen at the Zeon party in Dakar a few episodes ago, just in the background with no fanfare.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Spelling Mitsake posted:

He was actually seen at the Zeon party in Dakar a few episodes ago, just in the background with no fanfare.

I swore that was someone else and didn't mention it as a result.

And I swear if Yazan died to a manhole I will personally track down and desfroy every ZZ Gundam in the world

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I swore that was someone else and didn't mention it as a result.

And I swear if Yazan died to a manhole I will personally track down and desfroy every ZZ Gundam in the world

Yazan is canonically alive and well and shows up in a sequel manga where he goes by a new name and also ends up adopting a weird super-anime cyber newtype'

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Good thing I knew my limits and am only sticking to animated mediums

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Good thing I knew my limits and am only sticking to animated mediums

Congratulations on being wiser than 90% of Gundam fans.

(The other 10% are wise enough to watch only shows they like and not bother to engage with anything else.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Congratulations on being wiser than 90% of Gundam fans.

(The other 10% are wise enough to watch only shows they like and not bother to engage with anything else.)

I've read enough good Gundam mangas to say the game is worth the candle. The Origin, Plot to Assassinate Gihren, Iron Mustang, Johnny Ridden, Developers Before One Year War, Sousei...

Sure, there's a lot of crap too, but life's about risk. What's more, lovely manga's like bad coffee. It helps you appreciate the good, even aside from anything it might have of genuine interest. (Some bad manga have good art, or interesting concepts, or a few killer jokes.)

Only watching things you know you'll like before going in is how we got the endless stream of MCU movies. Nothing wrong with ditching an anime once you've realized it's not your speed, but taking a gamble from time to time sometimes nets you a favorite you'd never have expected..

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

0083 Rebellion is pretty drat good too. I hear that the Thunderbolt manga is great as well (Thunderbolt movie 3 when)

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Awwww what a nice ending.

Wow, you went fast to the end there.

I mentioned this a bit when I watched the show but it's hilarious how Haman more than anyone else in the U.C. became the uncontested tyrant of Earth and it's space... for five minutes, then put on a funny reference and threw it all away. It's one of those things the actual show doesn't directly state, like Quattro actually being the leader of AEUG after Blex.

Seriously, all open and organised resistance had stopped. Gihren's war killed half of everyone and that didn't get him nearly as close to what she had. It's been a while since I saw Victory and I've never seen G-Savior but I don't think their antagonists had as total a victory as her.

The Zabi's wanted it, Jamitov wanted it, the Crossboners & Zanscare both wanted it to some extent, but only Haman actually had it (I suspect Char would have hosed off again if he'd managed to plonk Axis).

Anyway, looking forward to the one screenshot you choose for Char's Counterattack. You'll be spoiled for choice.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Cephas posted:

Oh no, Turn A Gundam got dark really fast :stonklol:

"A sunrise in the middle of the night is an abomination no one should see."

'Gavane Goonny, please get out of there!' :smith:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arbite posted:

The Zabi's wanted it, Jamitov wanted it, the Crossboners & Zanscare both wanted it to some extent, but only Haman actually had it (I suspect Char would have hosed off again if he'd managed to plonk Axis).

I suspect Char was planning to die.

That said, while Haman was in a position of power, at the high end she "just" had Side 3 without the Federation actively at war with her, and depending on the source she might have just had full control of one colony cylinder. (She certainly didn't manage to move troops into Zum City, and you'd think that would be the obvious power move for someone claiming to restore the Zabi dynasty.)

The Federation's terms of surrender didn't involve giving Haman Earth. It was just armistice and she gets some portion of side 3 and they'll let her drop colonies on Earth whenever. (Seriously, even accounting for Federation shittiness, I still can't comprehend the whole Dublin thing, especially when Haman just got her rear end kicked in trying to steal some nukes.)

Haman played out Gryps well, but the Federation's conduct in the Neo Zeon war suggests that Hathaway could have made similar territorial gains if he tried.

Not Mafty, to be clear. I mean the seven year old.

The first Neo Zeon war is a mess, and unlike Gryps and the One Year War, none of the extended fiction even really tries to clean it up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Arbite posted:

Anyway, looking forward to the one screenshot you choose for Char's Counterattack. You'll be spoiled for choice.

By the end of it all I was very much done with Double Zeta, haha.

You're in luck because my copy is in 2 parts so there'll be twice the screenshots!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I figured she was much older than that. Under those circumstances, yeah, its more believable.

She's twenty-two by the time of Zeta and ZZ. So yeah, she went through a... uhh... formative eight years.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Jobbo I clearly missed you reacting to ZZ fridging Judau's sister at the halfway mark only to have her return miraculously in the finale to have a feel good cameo with Sayla.

But I NEED those thoughts from you.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Thunderbolt and Sousei are some of the best Gundam content out there. Developers is very different and fun, and 2250 Miles Across North America is good too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Jobbo I clearly missed you reacting to ZZ fridging Judau's sister at the halfway mark only to have her return miraculously in the finale to have a feel good cameo with Sayla.

But I NEED those thoughts from you.

I was downright flabbergasted that a mobile suit could only manage to crash into the one god damned hut in the only clearing along the ocean's coast in the jungle. I was incredulous, and then they really played it straight with her just being dead and the puru stuff happened and she was being annoying and, thinking back on it, the show really did a good job at shuffling it off and being generally busy so as to not give the viewer time to think about it either. Judau "talking to Leina" and the crew being worried for his safety, and sanity, was a nice touch on the characterization of a young adult suffering more and more at the hands of incremental and increasing trauma and conflict.

I might have needed to dry my eyes if they'd maybe sprung it later in the show, but maybe they were concerned about it being "cheap", suddenly bringing her back from the dead and all. I really liked Sayla's reply to Leina when she questions whether she should see her brother or not.

As for Sayla herself, for a second I thought it was supposed to be Haman. The hairstyle is much the same to me. I'm glad she made a return, though I thought Amuro would also make a return somewhere.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

FYI the Gagarin quote is a popular myth.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#0140 - Char's Counter-Attack Part 1

A cloud was actually just 2 thousand bir oh thats the opening ads.

Char and the Neo Zeon? Cops are chasing some young adults, at least one is a hippie. Its easy to know when you're on Earth, just watch the cops use excessive force. :v:

This dude and his family are on a concorde, presumably having used this instead of a military plane, but also openly talking about Char and stuff. At least there's nobody on the plane to panic.

New Mobile Suit just dropped, loving the animations for it. Char doesn't understand that killing the entire population of Earth doesn't solve the problem of humans doing human things.

Bright's kid gets to go to spaaaaace! Annie Hathaway Bright. Soon-to-be Little Orphan Annie. Oh, hey Bright! How are you and Amuro doing?

Holy gently caress that dude just started blasting in the colony and then commit suicide (as the Neo Zeon are want to do).

Lol Quess loving spits on her dad. Holy gently caress, gently caress that town, I guess. Glad to see everyone just CASUALLY IGNORING THE ASTEROID CRASHING INTO THEIR HOME TOWN. The fact that nobody has spammed the lady being literally blown away to go with the Terminator city being nuked is a travesty. I expected better from us, humans.

Hey Astonaige! Anaheim's R&D has NANOMACHINES, SONDAM! This scene with Chan floating around really emphasizes why skirts in Zero G is a dumb loving idea.

Not sure how I feel about them changing the controls to be ball/orb-mounted joysticks. drat what a tease. Amuro shows up and they all run away... Amuro is revealed to be a Replicant.

Quess' dad doesn't understand her and is a certified bad dad. They explained what a Newtype was and I instantly blacked out. Now apparently Newtypes just use the other 50% of their brain and this pseudo-science sucks.

Quess sucks and every waking moment where I am not shown her heart exploding out from her chest is a moment wasted. How do you get the same energy as Puru?

Quess is a bad person and immediately sides with Char until challenged by "Does that mean its okay to kill everyone on Earth" and she runs away.

Yo, Cameron, ever thought about not being a weirdo and just sending a letter or something? Robot Bud Haro is back my dudes, woooooo!

Oh, look, the Federation are literally loving this up once more in negotiations. Maybe they should develop some sort of test to see who is actually in the proper mindset to wield such power. Char with the creepy voice asking for Char to feel him.

Amuro jumps out of a jeep and tackles Char, Hathaway luckily takes control of it, Char does not suffer a broken back immediately upon landing. Quess sucks. Then some nerd in a sky blue zaku shows up.

Someone IMMEDIATELY hits on Quess, like the moment he sees her. Char doesn't space him because he is a coward.

Char wants to know more about Quess' suffering, not understanding she just hates her dad but I guess that means that Earth sucks. Quess starts training and there's a lingering note and I keep expecting "YOU CAN DO IT YOU CAN DO IT ~~ DEFEAT THE BLACK KNIGHT!"

A musical number?! Everyone on this train is either a Neo Zeon or a hostage. This is like when James Bond discovers everyone around him are SPECTRE.

"Wow, nobody ever kissed my hand, Captain Char. I'm not completely infatuated with you." Char is jealous that Lala fell for Amuro.

Woahhhhhh laggy 3D panning effect. This would've blown my mind back in the 80s if I had a brain back then. AH YES THE TEEEETAAAAHNS. I HATE THE TEATAWNS! You can really find people to cheer for anything.

Wait... why the gently caress would you EVER just... GIVE CHAR NUKES. You sold Axis and whatever but didn't even actually disarm it or take the nukes out? Then you literally piss off the senior officer next to you when he raises concerns about jobs?! And you don't even bring up some bullshit line about "still needing a police force"!? Just pretend aliens CAN exist in this universe, universe!

Bright, you don't have to tell me, the viewer, that Bloom was Mirai's ex-fiance. That's how you hook people into watching the OG show, idiot. Some rear end throws a spanner at Quess and Guerney and they... easily dodge it. Guess that proves their newtypes? :shrug:

Oh no Char betrayed us pleasehowcouldhe:sigh:

MERRY CHRISTMAS YOU FILTHY ANIMAL! AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quess is exhibiting Chara Soon-like symptoms. Space Madness is the real deal, boys and girls.

Amuro literally takes two seconds to expose Char's bullshit. At this rate the Earth Federation deserves to be obliterated into a galaxy's worth of singular particles.

Quess interrupts the bridge, gets slapped, and so ends Part 1.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 30, 2021

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Jobbo_Fett posted:

#0140 - Char's Counter-Attack Part 1

Absolutely beautiful.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManSedan posted:

Absolutely beautiful.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:five:

I actually think Chan's skirt is actually skorts? So mildly more sensible than a skirt in zero-G, but still inferior to good old fashioned pants, especially for an engineer who is regularly in the maintenance hangar with the mechanics. The Federation doesn't have OSHA.

Hathaway gets better, but you've got an OVA and a lovely movie before you hit that point if you're doing this chronologically. And he's still got a bit more digging to find the bottom at any rate.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Finally, Glemy died. What a dumb way to accept his fate.

One thing that's hilarious here is that while Judau and Roux were dealing with Glemy and Puru 2's bullshit, Elle was just holding off like half of Neo Zeon's army all by herself, offscreen.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

amigolupus posted:

One thing that's hilarious here is that while Judau and Roux were dealing with Glemy and Puru 2's bullshit, Elle was just holding off like half of Neo Zeon's army all by herself, offscreen.

In a semi-obsolete testbed Mobile Suit, too.

I mean, given the precedent, at least a quarter of those Zeon suits probably crashed into each other and exploded, but that's still a remarkable achievement.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Haman's neo zeon was incredibly incompetent on basically every level after Gryps, so I'm not sure just how much an accomplishment it was.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I give Quess some slack because those hippies getting beaten up by the police in the opening sequence? Her friends.

Fun trivia: Hathaway Noah is named after Noah Hathaway, the actor who played Atreyu in Neverending Story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WN0T-Ee3q4

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I give Quess some slack because those hippies getting beaten up by the police in the opening sequence? Her friends.

Fun trivia: Hathaway Noah is named after Noah Hathaway, the actor who played Atreyu in Neverending Story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WN0T-Ee3q4

I don't, if only because she never seems particularly bothered by it outside of generic "dad sucks, he represents the powers that be, therefore the powers suck."

Basically Quess doesn't appear to have a coherent philosophy, and is pretty much a rich failson faildaughter who gets dragged into the warcrimes by the plot. Her act of agency joining Char seemed pretty plainly balanced on the "dad sucks therefore" logic. She parrots the idealistic view of what Newtypes are, but I don't see her ever actually engage with that philosophy like Amuro does in his fight with Char.

I might go as far to say Quess is an Oldtype dressed up like a Newtype. She's got the powers, like Char, but she's at best cargo culting what a Newtype is supposed to be, and at worst still "bound by gravity" as the Zekes are fond of saying.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think it's so much she's a new type dressed as an old type so much as she's an idiot teenager like every other idiot teenager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think it's so much she's a new type dressed as an old type so much as she's an idiot teenager like every other idiot teenager

Even Kamille pre-Earth was closer to the ideal than Quess, and that's a low rear end bar to clear.

More coherently: being a dumbass teenager is less of an excuse when you have all of White Base, Kamille, and Judau as your foils. Gundam is full of dumbass teenagers doing dumbass teenager things that nevertheless display a good bit of wisdom for their age. Quess... doesn't.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 30, 2021