Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the only videos i want to see on youtube for the most part are uploads of rescued VHS rips of hysterically low budget short films that otherwise would have been lost to the sands of time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5MudONL7Y0

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZRE4UqNKDo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

fun hater posted:

i simply do not use youtubes recommendation features or the explore button so i dont care what it tries to throw at me. i watch a lot of insane poo poo but ever since they changed the algorithm it refuses to show me anything with a double to triple digit view count so its useless to me

this is so spineless lol. weakly giving them accolades for taking your call and then blowing you and everyone else off in obvious favor of big companies is pathetic

They cared so much they almost pay attention.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
They’re giving content creators a seat at the (kids) table.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fil5000 posted:

The DVD only episodes set in a future where being able to wipe people's minds remotely has, unsurprisingly, utterly hosed up everything, was an interesting idea, but yeah, DVD only because we needed all the actually aired episodes to be Joss Whedon's List Of Sexy Outfits For Eliza Dushku To Wear: The Series.

Considering what happened to Eliza Dushku on the set of True Lies, this is even more disturbing!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

fun hater posted:

i simply do not use youtubes recommendation features or the explore button

I have never clicked on "explore" before and…

…wow.

This is a level of absolute trash I've never seen before.

It appears to be exclusively populated by videos watched by 16 year old German teenagers sitting in vocational school.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

MonsieurChoc posted:

Considering what happened to Eliza Dushku on the set of True Lies, this is even more disturbing!

Oh goddamn, I somehow missed that news when it first came out. That's terrible.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtW3bdp7h8c
CRD made a pretty cool vid about the bad side of shareware games.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Antigravitas posted:

…wow.

It appears to be exclusively populated by videos watched by 16 year old German teenagers sitting in vocational school.

There's a reason my Youtube bookmark takes me right to my subscriptions page and I almost never pay so much as a glance to crap on the sidebar unless it really stands out.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

One of the other many, many sins of Dollhouse is that the executives, i guess a bit gunshy about cancelling another Whedon show, decided to give it a second season, which came at least partially at the expense of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Yvonmukluk posted:

One of the other many, many sins of Dollhouse is that the executives, i guess a bit gunshy about cancelling another Whedon show, decided to give it a second season, which came at least partially at the expense of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

gently caress, Sarah Connor Chronicles was so good.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Thanks mate.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Antigravitas posted:

…wow.

*clicks*

wow this is peak disposable culture.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Shyrka posted:

gently caress, Sarah Connor Chronicles was so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPzzYhuhOxo

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

*clicks*

wow this is peak disposable culture.

outside of a handful of minecraft videos for kids most of mine are half decent. a couple concert videos, soccer highlights, a vlog or two, and a crafty science experiment.

I wonder if it's a setting issue.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Mine aren't bad, they're just aggressively boring and don't seem to have any relation to the content I usually watch. I don't know why Youtube thinks I would be interested in Minecraft LPs, MMA and Motorcycles.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
After complaining about Youtube recs this morning, it threw up this interesting thing now. Someone going through an Agatha Christie novel for the first time and attempting to solve it before Poirot does.

Except, she uh... she picked The Murder of Roger Ackroyd for this endeavour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZCPLhNA9x0

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Famethrowa posted:

outside of a handful of minecraft videos for kids most of mine are half decent. a couple concert videos, soccer highlights, a vlog or two, and a crafty science experiment.

I wonder if it's a setting issue.

I suspect GeoIP garbage.

Let's review the Explore page.

1. I have no idea, but it's aimed at people in school
2. "The new Chancellor-Car (oh hey the alliteration translates), pure garbage
3. "24 hours alone in the TRAMPOLINHALLE Challenge!" pass
4. Ramos-Debut…..this is some football poo poo isn't it. pass
5. No idea
6. "The last fairy tale in asocial part 1" … no, gently caress off
7. Bushido is a moron, why
8. ????
9. gently caress off ffs
10. ???
11. "BRUTAL KREISLIGA GAME ENDS WITH A PLAYER IN HOSPITAL" no.

I scrolled down a lot and it's all gabage. Completely worthless garbage.

The only exception is this dude reviewing LEGO and (superior) knockoff products, like this typewriter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCZbdS6ELvA

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

I suspect GeoIP garbage.

this is pretty interesting, and I guess its subjective given I enjoy sports

1 + 2 yeah I would watch these. I actually was looking for highlights of 2 :3
3 pretty good R+B that I wouldn't have checked out otherwise
4 it's not great but at least its a creative work
5 lol
6 lol
7 I'm a sucker for Shaq and informal interview fluff so I'll probably check this out

I'd go as far as to say that this is a pretty appealing list for most people, and isn't just bait for children to watch.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Jay and Colin from Canada talk about Dune and Dune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ClY9yo7-9o

Garrand fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 29, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antigravitas posted:

…wow.

lol I completely glazed over that button existing too, what fresh hell is this

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i use the dislike button to tame the algorithm and it works really well. im sad that i can no longer see that im one of the twenty people who disliked a well intentioned but extremely boring video essay

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

stillvisions posted:

My facebook strategy has been 3 things to strike a deal with the beast:

i should totally try this, esp 1 and 2, thanks! it probably will also stop the same "friend posting about his dad's birthday" reappearing on my feed five days in a row (unless I click "recent") which apparently is a facebook thing that we all have to contend with now.

I went to check my explore button on youtube and it's the usual tiktok compilations, top 10 music compilations, mrbeast's squid game, reaction to mrbeast's squid game, and for some reason Nas Daily sitting at 3+ million despite almost all of south east asia loving hating this grifting rear end in a top hat.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Penguinz0 is my personal guy who is recommended a lot despite my never interacting with him as far as I recall.

It’s wild how these subdivisions within YouTube communities never interact. I watch lots of video game stuff, and if you point me at whoever is popular among the kids these days, I’d have no way to tell if they just were just manifested into existence.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Dr Christmas posted:

Penguinz0 is my personal guy who is recommended a lot despite my never interacting with him as far as I recall.

It bugs me that that's his channel name but literally everyone knows him as Cr1TiKal/Charlie

That one video he did ages ago of the original FIve Nights At Freddy's is a classic by "random dude plays video game with irreverent attitude" standards (in my opinion) but these days he's just more of a general commentary guy. Which is fine but wasn't really entertaining enough for me to stick around for personally. I like commentary channels but his sense of humor is a little too crass for my tastes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I laughed when he started to spar with nikacado and then nik responded and then everyone went after nik and now nik is going after everyone

It reminds me of the silly idiot days of 2016 where YouTubers would just fight with each other lmao

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nobody tell Keemster.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He retired I think.

“””””retired”””””

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

To be precise, he announced that he will be retiring next year because there's no longer any good youtuber drama.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I haven't seen any kind of right wing ads on YouTube for well over a year. Right around the time all the social media platforms were scrubbing their sites of the really obvious extremist poo poo. Weird that I apparently have a very different experience than most.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

grittyreboot posted:

I haven't seen any kind of right wing ads on YouTube for well over a year. Right around the time all the social media platforms were scrubbing their sites of the really obvious extremist poo poo. Weird that I apparently have a very different experience than most.

I still get PragerU videos as ads when I turn off adblocker Idk maybe PragerU pays a lot to stay on YouTube’s platform.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I don't get Prager but for some reason I'm constantly getting the same ad for some bullshit crypto thing.

It's weird because the only crypto related thing I do is follow the "Crypto Bros Taking Ls" twitter.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I started blocking ads on Twitter to see what'd happen. I just got a bunch of ads for crypto poo poo and fratty lifestyle gurus. Turns out Honda, The Masked Singer, Starbucks etc form a protective barrier against weird scams.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alacron posted:

I don't get Prager but for some reason I'm constantly getting the same ad for some bullshit crypto thing.

It's weird because the only crypto related thing I do is follow the "Crypto Bros Taking Ls" twitter.

I get those nonstop on mobile and have never clicked anything relating to crypto poo poo on youtube or pretty much otherwise.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

this is the video that keeps getting pushed at me on my recommendations so i finally listened to it and it's a not bad album i gotta admit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-LZudHEk7k

i dunno why but i assume i must have searched "vampire with a flute" at some point

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

He made me side with Niko somehow.

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I like commentary channels but his sense of humor is a little too crass for my tastes

I don't mind the crassness but anytime he tries to add a superlative it has the same mental impact as a 10 second advert. Oh my, are you telling me that someone who didn't like Mr. Beast's take on Squid Game should just go live in a shack if he wants everyone to be miserable? Go ahead, just add that minutes long butthole eating analogy and raise that ΔS for everyone.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I can't imagine regularly engaging with any media platform without an ad blocker enabled. I'll occasionally go to youtube on my phone and then get furious when I see an ad start to play.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

It took me a long time to click on this vid/song that YT recommended to me incessantly. Have to say, it was pretty bloody worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gj47G2e1Jc

I still get "The Fall of 76" recommended to me a lot even though I have watched it through several times, but then doesn't everybody get that? There isn't a sidebar on the site without Todd Howard's face on it.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

I can't imagine regularly engaging with any media platform without an ad blocker enabled. I'll occasionally go to youtube on my phone and then get furious when I see an ad start to play.

Same, but I use Kiwi Browser on my phone so I don't see any there either. It lets you use desktop chrome extentions on android, including adblockers.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dushku’s career is a nightmare. She was on this CBS lawyer show, Bull, for three episodes before she left because of the awful harassment against her from its lead, one of the guys from NCIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

this is the video that keeps getting pushed at me on my recommendations so i finally listened to it and it's a not bad album i gotta admit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-LZudHEk7k

i dunno why but i assume i must have searched "vampire with a flute" at some point

One of the songs on that album was used for the most recent Ena trailer 2 months ago, so that's probably why it's appearing in my recommendations.

Also helps that said song is indeed a banger.