Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Edmund Sparkler posted:

That looks like jail food. Probly just a coincidence tho.

Lmao jail food wishes it was that fresh and nutritious. In a lot of states prisoners are lucky to get a slice of bread and some moldy cheese for lunch.

Professor Shark posted:

The approaching holidays have reminded me of one of my least favorite memories: my partner had fond memories of spending Christmas with their family and having Christmas-themed book read to them on Christmas Eve. They contacted the family member a few years ago to ask if they still had those magical books from the 80's, filled with love and warmth. Their family member told them that yes, they had them, and that they could buy them from them. So my partner came home with a small collection of well-worn books that they loved as a child and paid MSRP for as an adult because their family member saw a way to make money.

The books don't come out. I think that the experience ruined some of the magic.

:wtc: is it at least like, an extended family member they don't see all that often or is this just straight up their mom charging them $29.95 a pop for a book they liked as a kid

tokin opposition posted:

the worst part about school lunches was not having any lunch money so you got a lovely peanut butter sandwich and couldn't get chocolate milk :(

like gee sorry I didn't make my parents go bankrupt

Chocolate milk was like a fuckin' quarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Milk came in little plastic pouches instead of cartons in school. We had to watch an instructional video on how to insert the straw. This was apparently only a Louisiana thing. Did anyone else have milk pouches at school?

https://mobile.twitter.com/georgejones04/status/1224727773513764864

This tweet says late 80s but it didn't hit my school district until around 1992 or so.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

what the gently caress

no, we had cartons as god intended

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jazerus posted:

what the gently caress

no, we had cartons as god intended

I thought every school in the country did this until my fiancee told me the other day she had to explain milk bags to her coworkers (we're in TX now). My mind is blown.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i heard rumors about milk bags being the norm in canada

Serf
May 5, 2011

poemdexter posted:

Milk came in little plastic pouches instead of cartons in school. We had to watch an instructional video on how to insert the straw. This was apparently only a Louisiana thing. Did anyone else have milk pouches at school?

This tweet says late 80s but it didn't hit my school district until around 1992 or so.

for like a month, yeah. but then we switched back to cartons

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Plank Walker posted:

Big milk bags, not little pouches you drink from. Canada's big milk bags.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Plank Walker posted:

Yeah, I heard you buy milk by the bag in Canada and slide the whole bag in a pitcher in the fridge. I also heard they ride moose to school instead of buses.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
American talk about school lunches always confuses me because as a kid in Canada the school did not provide lunch to anyone and didn't even have a cafeteria. Kids brought lunch from home or they picked up one of the small number of poor kid lunches that came in a paper bag at the beginning of the day (supposedly the paper bag was to make it so other kids might theoretically think it just came from your home that happened to always put your lunches in the same paper bag as every other poor kid every morning lol) and then you just ate in your own classroom. Once a week there would be, like, pizza day where you paid a dollar per pizza slice for some generic pizza brought in from a nearby pizza place, or you still brought your lunch from home if you didn't have a couple dollars to spend on pizza slices. Some kids who lived near the school would just go home at lunchtime to eat, but for obvious reasons usually only if they had a parent who didn't work.

My schools didn't even have cafeterias in the building until high school, where they had a cafeteria but everything cost money, so you could go buy a lunch if you wanted or you could bring lunch from home.

The American system theoretically makes sense to me because ideally you would have a system where every kid had free access to good and nutritious food rather than making it a thing that's almost entirely placed on the parents or requires payment. But seeing what it looks like in practice is so depressing because the United States hates the poor.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A milk carton is just a plastic milk bag covered in paper

Makes u think

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i had milk pouches for the first two years of school and then they switched over to cartons

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

vyelkin posted:

The American system theoretically makes sense to me because ideally you would have a system where every kid had free access to good and nutritious food rather than making it a thing that's almost entirely placed on the parents or requires payment. But seeing what it looks like in practice is so depressing because the United States hates the poor.

You have no idea.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

people are losing their jobs and can't afford to live in san francisco or buy these weird things

how could the crime rate do this

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

vyelkin posted:

American talk about school lunches always confuses me because as a kid in Canada the school did not provide lunch to anyone and didn't even have a cafeteria. Kids brought lunch from home or they picked up one of the small number of poor kid lunches that came in a paper bag at the beginning of the day (supposedly the paper bag was to make it so other kids might theoretically think it just came from your home that happened to always put your lunches in the same paper bag as every other poor kid every morning lol) and then you just ate in your own classroom. Once a week there would be, like, pizza day where you paid a dollar per pizza slice for some generic pizza brought in from a nearby pizza place, or you still brought your lunch from home if you didn't have a couple dollars to spend on pizza slices. Some kids who lived near the school would just go home at lunchtime to eat, but for obvious reasons usually only if they had a parent who didn't work.

My schools didn't even have cafeterias in the building until high school, where they had a cafeteria but everything cost money, so you could go buy a lunch if you wanted or you could bring lunch from home.

Yeah, same. My family moved often so I went to 17 different schools in BC and Alberta in the 70s and 80s, and none of them provided lunches. If you forgot your lunch and your parent couldn't bring it there might be a stack of frozen peanut butter sandwiches in the teachers lounge. No cafeterias until high school, and even then it was an optional thing you paid for that maybe 1/4 of students bothered to ever use.

It's weird to see so many places where every kid was expected to eat at a cafeteria. Why would lunch boxes with cartoons on them exist if nobody carries their lunch to school? How did cartoon the lunch box lobby let that happen in the US? :iiam:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

vyelkin posted:

i mean they hate the urban poor specifically. every rural or semi-rural school i've seen provides reasonable, even tasty, lunches as part of the free lunch program, at least at the high school level. the last school i taught at, i bought the same lunch as the kids every day because it was actually of reasonable enough quality for an adult to voluntarily choose to eat it given the low price and convenience. elementary school lunches tend more toward the bland side wherever you go tho. and middle school i believe the protocol is to simply provide pizza every day in an attempt to send the children into a grease-fuelled torpor so that they're easier to teach in the afternoon

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

For people who don't live in the Bay Area/haven't read the news: A couple of weeks ago, an organized mob hit Louis Vuitton, smashed all the windows, stole all the expensive bags, and ran. It happened in two other Bay Area cities after that. Organized smash-and-grab raids are currently a thing, and stores are putting up boards to prevent them.

Whether these are the authorities' fault, the local police's fault for being too busy harassing black people to focus on crime, or the stores' not having time to adapt to a new crime modus being unlocked, is entirely up to you, the reader. Turn to page 54.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

raiding the Zara like it’s Area 51

Yeah!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Shame Boy posted:

Lmao jail food wishes it was that fresh and nutritious. In a lot of states prisoners are lucky to get a slice of bread and some moldy cheese for lunch.

Chocolate milk was like a fuckin' quarter

Yeah, the pizza and chocolate milk would be a luxury in most jails but the vibe is still the same.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

For people who don't live in the Bay Area/haven't read the news: A couple of weeks ago, an organized mob hit Louis Vuitton, smashed all the windows, stole all the expensive bags, and ran. It happened in two other Bay Area cities after that. Organized smash-and-grab raids are currently a thing, and stores are putting up boards to prevent them.

Whether these are the authorities' fault, the local police's fault for being too busy harassing black people to focus on crime, or the stores' not having time to adapt to a new crime modus being unlocked, is entirely up to you, the reader. Turn to page 54.

I, for one, blame capitalism.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I briefly attended a private university and they forced you to pay several hundred dollars a term for cafeteria scrip and gave you no option to opt out. They said it was because college students were too dumb to feed themselves but I'm pretty sure their contract with the company providing the cafeteria services was the real reason.

Also, the contracted company would hire students to work for them in the cafeteria. Nothing weird about that!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I briefly attended a private university and they forced you to pay several hundred dollars a term for cafeteria scrip and gave you no option to opt out. They said it was because college students were too dumb to feed themselves but I'm pretty sure their contract with the company providing the cafeteria services was the real reason.

Also, the contracted company would hire students to work for them in the cafeteria. Nothing weird about that!

Lol we went to the same university didn't we

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jazerus posted:

i mean they hate the urban poor specifically. every rural or semi-rural school i've seen provides reasonable, even tasty, lunches as part of the free lunch program, at least at the high school level. the last school i taught at, i bought the same lunch as the kids every day because it was actually of reasonable enough quality for an adult to voluntarily choose to eat it given the low price and convenience. elementary school lunches tend more toward the bland side wherever you go tho. and middle school i believe the protocol is to simply provide pizza every day in an attempt to send the children into a grease-fuelled torpor so that they're easier to teach in the afternoon

I'd assume like everything else in US education it's based on the whole property-tax-to-student ratio conveniently peaking somewhere around "wealthy suburb" so yeah that tracks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Paladinus posted:

I, for one, blame capitalism.

Page 56. You have solved the problem correctly. Unfortunately, you are beaten to death by libertarians. Try again!

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

poemdexter posted:

we had these in Maine in the late 90s. i always assumed it was due to Canadian proximity but maybe not

i used to have a school breakfast of chocolate milk cinnamon toast crunch or some other sugary cereal almost every morning before school up to like 3rd grade. i was a fat little poo poo lmao.

e: actually sometimes they had french toast sticks too

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

my hands, shaking
my loins, quivering
fund the police NOW!!!!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1465316414282244102

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

she teaches other rich lumps how to boil water https://www.trylifeschool.com/p/cooking-level-1

also https://twitter.com/mayavada/status/1364081366082621444

The Chairman has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Nov 30, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

poemdexter posted:

I vaguely remember this in Ontario Canada, where the big milk bags are too

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Splicer posted:

You want fish nuggets. Fish fingers tend to have whole fish bits in them, fish nuggets will contain the reconstituted fish slurry you crave.

Hmm I GISed "fish nuggets" but they all seem to be suspiciously orange.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

Lol we went to the same university didn't we

I bet multiple universities have that kind of policy but the one I went to shares a name with a song by The Offspring.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

hobbesmaster posted:

they’re freaking out over seeing stores with boarded up windows because they’ve never seen it before I guess

The stores are boarded up because of a disaster and the disaster is capitalism

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Professor Shark posted:

The approaching holidays have reminded me of one of my least favorite memories: my partner had fond memories of spending Christmas with their family and having Christmas-themed book read to them on Christmas Eve. They contacted the family member a few years ago to ask if they still had those magical books from the 80's, filled with love and warmth. Their family member told them that yes, they had them, and that they could buy them from them. So my partner came home with a small collection of well-worn books that they loved as a child and paid MSRP for as an adult because their family member saw a way to make money.

The books don't come out. I think that the experience ruined some of the magic.

Rule of Acquistion #6: "Never allow family to stand in the way of opportunity"

Although why she bought it for MSRP idk. I would have haggled the gently caress out of that codger and charged for whatever stupid computer poo poo they wanted done while I was there.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

poemdexter posted:

gently caress yeah, that's a blast from the past.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That makes them smart :smugdon:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/patriach2051/status/1465459346641285122

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

hands are tremblings that zara had to board up their windows

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

poemdexter posted:

I moved a lot but I briefly attended a school where they had bag milk and I can not for the life of me remember where exactly, but I think Illinois

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I don't think that second one is serious. Maybe not even the first one.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

bag milk sounds like a horrible pre-currency-reform british tradition that elderly tories inexplicably pine for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i believe its still quite a thing in canada so perhaps you are on to something