Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Do you think it's possible to skirt child labor laws by having a kid mine for crypto in a video game for 12+ hours a day? At what point do video games count as labor?

This was a scary thought that popped into my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

There Bias Two posted:

Do you think it's possible to skirt child labor laws by having a kid mine for crypto in a video game for 12+ hours a day? At what point do video games count as labor?

This was a scary thought that popped into my head.

You don't need to be around to mine crypto; you just have to check your account once in a while and make sure the machines haven't fried.

Now, children working as *mmo gold farmers* on the other hand... well, that's been going on for what, a good twenty years?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Imagine if there were capped numbers of good items in MMORPGs, and once that cap is hit, the only way to get your hands on those items is to buy them from other people. Also, imagine that instead of using an in-game currency, the game only uses outside currencies like Bitcoin and Etherium or a bespoke cryptocurrency, so it's encouraged to plow real money into buying the currencies necessary to engage in these inter-player sales.

Now imagine crypto nerds and MMO poopsockers being able to tell their parents that they're spending eighteen hours a day grinding out MMO items as an investment, and that all that videogame time will surely lead them to massive profits in the player economy.

Of course, in the end it boils down to the same dilemma as every other crypto scam - if the whole system is designed around letting early adopters and dedicated devotees hoard up the vast majority of the stuff while forcing later adopters and casual dabblers to buy it from that first gen at a huge markup, well...how many people do you really expect to get in on the bottom rung of Pyramid Scheme: The Game? Play-to-earn is basically play-to-win, except that instead of paying the game maker to not have a miserable experience, you have to pay the older players.

That sounds like Eve online t2 BPOs from like 2005? That’s what everyone thinks these new NFTs are isn’t it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mister Facetious posted:

You don't need to be around to mine crypto; you just have to check your account once in a while and make sure the machines haven't fried.

Now, children working as *mmo gold farmers* on the other hand... well, that's been going on for what, a good twenty years?

I was thinking more along the lines of farming NFT-linked items. But I forgot that gold farming for profit is already a thing.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

I think GBS's butt thread had an an article from some old man about "what if mario from mario kart was an nft."

also is Jack stepping down as birdsite's CEO good or bad? Is it bad because its a sign of them jumping shark like Zuck's recent stuff?

The new CEO is the one who has been pushing all the cryptocurrency integration, so it’s probably not getting better.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Jack has been an aloof figurehead for years now, he's much more interested in ruining some new thing for everyone

I guess Square is about to get crazy then

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Twitter making sharing video of a person without their consent against their terms of service.

https://twitter.com/TwitterSafety/status/1465683094581792771

This seems like a good way to drive traffic away from Twitter as there won't be videos of people doing stupid and heinous things anymore.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 30, 2021

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Twitter making sharing video of a person without their consent against their terms of service.

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1465683993869828097
oh cool another thing to use the report button on that will do nothing to stop online harassment

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This seems like a good way to drive traffic away from Twitter as there won't be videos of people doing stupid and heinous things anymore.

I’m not sure how comforting this is when the platforms they’d be pushed to apparently consider “leave open avenues for harassment” to be a value-add for their service.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So any video of police violence, mob violence, or any kind of protest will be banned.

lol gently caress this

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
its more of an anti-doxxing and harrasment thing, seems impossible to consistently enforce but saying it would ban pictures of crowds in a public place seems like a massive overreach

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Bonzo posted:

So any video of police violence, mob violence, or any kind of protest will be banned.

lol gently caress this

Basically.

The way to judge how this is going to be used is simply whether or not Andy Ngo is immediately banned next time he does his thing. If not then the only purpose of this policy is to prevent things like holding cops accountable and the decentralized ID campaigns that doxxed Jan 6th insurrectionists.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Which is already happening in the Philippines and Argentina through essentially gold-farming schemes. Except of needing just computer and internet access, you also need someone to stake the initial ~$1500 USD to get started.

And of course we've got someone trying to make a Roblox-style scheme work except that it appears they want their content-creator base to pay for every asset, every plot of land, and every gacha-like modifier to participate in their ecosystem. When the thing they're aping already has issues with exploitation, I can't imagine this ever getting off the ground without insane levels of investment from the parent company seeking out partnerships. Just like Atari has (sure, expected from a company pretending to be still doing video games) or brands like the Smurfs (?) and the Care Bears (?????).

Yeah, but imagine if there was a cap on the total amount of gold that could exist in the game at once, or on the total amount that can be generated gamewide in a given time period. So if people gold farm hard enough then they could literally own all the gold in the game, making it impossible to get gold except by buying it from gold farmers, who could use their monopoly on gold to charge insane prices. That's what crypto bros want to do - take the exploitative dynamics that already exist in gaming-for-profit, and add even more artificial scarcity to further increase the power of the sellers by allowing them to outright monopolize rare items.

Of course, in practice, it suffers from the same issue as every other dream of making stuff based around crypto: it's so focused on creating theoretical massive profit opportunities for the haves that there's no thought given to preserving the fun for the have-nots. In practice, most people will abandon the game as soon as the supply of useful stuff gets bottlenecked enough that have-nots are forced to buy their stuff from the haves. Which of course tanks the value of all that carefully-hoarded stuff, and likely causes the game itself to die out as well.

This leads to the second, much less realistic, pillar of crypto-based pay-to-earn: storing the items on the blockchain so that they exist independently of the game, so that people can retain their item hoards even after the game dies out.

Sometimes the idea is that even though the NFTs are no longer connected to a useful item, they will become collectibles because the game that issued them no longer exists, or something. I can see game companies getting into that, honestly - it's no problem of theirs if it turns out no one wants to buy those item NFTs from the rubes who paid out for them.

Sometimes the idea is that games will create ingame items only accessible to people with NFTs from other games, allowing them to take their collection of hoarded items from game to game: getting bonuses from each one, and using those advantages to farm up even more items in the new games, building up an incredible dragon's hoard of items from a variety of games that allow them to be incredibly powerful in all NFT games forever or sell off that ultimate gaming power to other people for megabucks. This is pretty much just fantasy, and there's no incentive for game devs to cater to that fantasy unless they're scammers seeking to quickly lure in easy marks.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Crain posted:

Basically.

The way to judge how this is going to be used is simply whether or not Andy Ngo is immediately banned next time he does his thing. If not then the only purpose of this policy is to prevent things like holding cops accountable and the decentralized ID campaigns that doxxed Jan 6th insurrectionists.

In theory, they carved out an exception for posts that are “in the public interest.”

And honestly, there are way better avenues for anti-fascist work than an effectively unmoderated platform geared towards 140-word slapfights over YA novels. You can point to Jan 6th, and I can point to the Boston bombing and the internet frenzy that terrorized a dead teen’s family.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 30, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Some leaks about the FBI's ability/legal rights to information from various encrypted communications platforms

https://twitter.com/fekitcba/status/1465757901537132544?s=20

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Baronash posted:

In theory, they carved out an exception for posts that are “in the public interest.”

And honestly, there are way better avenues for anti-fascist work than an effectively unmoderated platform geared towards 140-word slapfights over YA novels. You can point to Jan 6th, and I can point to the Boston bombing and the internet frenzy that terrorized a dead teen’s family.

Eh, while there are better places to conduct that research, Twitter is still up there for visibility. And that carve out means nothing till we see how they actually chose to enforce it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://futurism.com/leaked-elon-musk-spacex-email-bankruptcy

quote:

Things are getting dire at SpaceX — according to its CEO and founder Elon Musk, at least.

In a leaked company-wide email from Musk, first obtained by Space Explored and later confirmed by CNBC, the billionaire said that the lack of progress towards the company’s Raptor engines puts the company at a “genuine risk of bankruptcy.”

The situation is so dire, Musk said in the email, that SpaceX will need to achieve a Starship launch rate of one flight every two weeks in the next year to stave off financial disaster.

“Unfortunately, the Raptor production crisis is much worse than it had seemed a few weeks ago,” Musk said in the email sent over Thanksgiving weekend. “As we have dug into the issues following the exiting of prior senior management, they have unfortunately turned out to be far more severe than was reported. There is no way to sugarcoat this.”

Good ol' lovable Elon Musk.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

A friend of mine I wouldn't normally consider as cynical as I am says it's a ploy to get free overtime from their workers and/or rent-seek a bailout from the Government of the United States of America (insert "you're either with us or Putin!" rhetoric here). :911:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, but imagine if there was a cap on the total amount of gold that could exist in the game at once, or on the total amount that can be generated gamewide in a given time period. So if people gold farm hard enough then they could literally own all the gold in the game, making it impossible to get gold except by buying it from gold farmers, who could use their monopoly on gold to charge insane prices.
At which point everyone abandons the game (or never starts in the first place) and the virtual gold becomes worthless.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Mister Facetious posted:

A friend of mine I wouldn't normally consider as cynical as I am says it's a ploy to get free overtime from their workers and/or rent-seek a bailout from the Government of the United States of America (insert "you're either with us or Putin!" rhetoric here). :911:

Yeah, this reeks of an orchestrated leak, though to what end I do not know. CEOs just don't send company-wide emails warning of potential bankruptcy. But it is Elon Musk so who the gently caress knows

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Mister Facetious posted:

The article says he demanded people come back and work over the holiday weekend, so yes.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Because burned out workers will fix the problem with your insanely complicated rocket and not create ten more because they’re alternating between updating their resumes, buying cases of MONSTER ROCKET FUEL 50% CAFFEINE BY VOLUME, and poking at the rocket design CAD program.

Fake edit: Now you have at least eleven problems.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Isn’t there some sort of rule or law about fiduciaries representing a publicly traded company, like say Musk and SpaceX, not being allowed to publicly lie about poo poo like this?

I’m not an expert in these matters, it just feels so wrong and so unusual at the same time that Im wondering if he’s doing something that’s just stupid, or illegal as well.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

Isn’t there some sort of rule or law about fiduciaries representing a publicly traded company, like say Musk and SpaceX, not being allowed to publicly lie about poo poo like this?

I’m not an expert in these matters, it just feels so wrong and so unusual at the same time that Im wondering if he’s doing something that’s just stupid, or illegal as well.

SpaceX is not publicly traded. IANAL but company directors have fiduciary duties and get sued all the time for breaching them. I think Musk was sued by some investors for one of his tweets.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Smeef posted:

SpaceX is not publicly traded. IANAL but company directors have fiduciary duties and get sued all the time for breaching them. I think Musk was sued by some investors for one of his tweets.

poo poo, thanks for the correction.

Regardless, it seems like the sort of thing a private customer could point to if they wanted to pull out of a contract or renegotiate under more favorable terms. It just seems like such a stupid thing to say publicly.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

poo poo, thanks for the correction.

Regardless, it seems like the sort of thing a private customer could point to if they wanted to pull out of a contract or renegotiate under more favorable terms. It just seems like such a stupid thing to say publicly.

It is a stupid thing to say publicly, but businesspeople do stupid poo poo all the time that doesn't qualify as breaching fiduciary duties, or at least usually it can be resolved without going to court. He could say he thought it would be motivating or a sign of radical transparency, even though most rational people would see it as a fast track to a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Customers are usually responsible for running due diligence on their suppliers, including assessing the financials of the suppliers to make sure they won't go bankrupt. It's one of the reasons young companies often can't get business with big customers. But there could be clauses in the contract that protect against situations like this.

The same is true of private investors. Caveat emptor. Either don't invest, or ask for terms that protect against poo poo like this. I'm guessing that the Cult of Elon means that people were willing to give up protections in order to invest in something trendy.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The Lone Badger posted:

At which point everyone abandons the game (or never starts in the first place) and the virtual gold becomes worthless.

I met an oblivious tech guy at a tech incubator whose whole idea was a virtual wallet of game currencies you could carry between games and exchange one currency for another.

It was a conscious effort to not say "Oh, you mean like money laundering?" every time he paused for air.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Xand_Man posted:

I met an oblivious tech guy at a tech incubator whose whole idea was a virtual wallet of game currencies you could carry between games and exchange one currency for another.

It was a conscious effort to not say "Oh, you mean like money laundering?" every time he paused for air.

Which is pretty much the purpose of nearly all crypto: Laundering funds.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Xand_Man posted:

It's honestly actually kinda surprising there isn't some indie game API to make some shared dumb database. Like dead cells now has weapons from hollownight, shovelknight is in everything, the crypto part would be pointless but "get a sword in this game, it shows up as a bonus skin in these other games" feels like it'd be a standardized thing by now. For that sort of game.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's honestly actually kinda surprising there isn't some indie game API to make some shared dumb database. Like dead cells now has weapons from hollownight, shovelknight is in everything, the crypto part would be pointless but "get a sword in this game, it shows up as a bonus skin in these other games" feels like it'd be a standardized thing by now. For that sort of game.

This isn’t how making games works

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
you'd need more than an API, you'd need a shared architecture and limiting yourself and your ability to dev your game for cross-game promotional items is a lot of work with little payoff. its much easier to just clone whatever item and adapt it to your game by hand. it would really only make sense to be able to share items between games if all those games took place on the same gamedev platform - not just the same engine like unity, but something like byond where assets and item definitions can be shared. the bigger question is not how it would be done, but why anyone would bother doing this - even studios that make multiple games in the same series or setting rarely allow for cross-game item sharing, because this only benefits players who own both games. thats a lot of wasted dev time for little gain

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 1, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jose Valasquez posted:

This isn’t how making games works

just having a shared database where things in one game can set a flag that another game could look at. Not some sort of automated transfer.

Metal gear reading your memory card style.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

just having a shared database where things in one game can set a flag that another game could look at.

steam has this capability, nobody uses it because it isn't useful

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/inventory/schema

no reason you couldn't share appid across games, except the utility diminishes for every player who doesn't own the whole set of games the item can be shared among

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 1, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

steam has this capability, nobody uses it because it isn't useful

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/inventory/schema

no reason you couldn't share appid across games

I think everyone assumed steam inventory would include that functionality then they just never actually enabled it. I don't think there is a straightfoward way to check other game's items without doing like, screen scraping of the webpage it loads.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There's not really much reason for a dev to give players bonus poo poo for buying games made by different devs. And there's even less reason to restrict it only to the smaller subset of players who've obtained a particular item or cleared a particular hurdle in that other game.

As a general rule of thumb, an indie dev wants to devote their resources to making stuff for the people who bought their game and played it, instead of rewarding people who bought some other game and played it.

It's been done occasionally, but there isn't enough demand to build a whole framework around it. It usually involves a $$$ cross-promotional marketing deal, not just something devs do for the hell of it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

also

https://twitter.com/chetfaliszek/status/1466092237494755332?s=20

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 1, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I crashed the CSGO economy by making guns cheap in "notascam worldwide"

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
Another entry in the annals of unnecessary tech company name changes and "wtf is up with jack dorsey", Square is changing its name to Block. Apparently they also now own Tidal and something called TBD54566975 (no joke), which I assume is an extraterrestrial being of pure energy.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/1/22812752/square-changing-name-block-jack-dorsey-cash-app-tidal-crypto-spiral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Smeef posted:

Musk is being sued by JP Morgan Chase for one of his tweets because it hosed with the price of some options they'd bought from Tesla and there's a standard clause in those kinds of contracts saying that if you gently caress with the value of the options, you get sued.

He was fined by the SEC for the same tweet.

It was a tweet about taking Tesla private for a share price of $420. It was made during a (most likely) drug-fueled weekend that also resulted in an ongoing celebrity Twitter feud between Grimes and Azealia Banks.

While many might conclude from these events that Musk is a hot, toxic mess, he is still widely regarded as a visionary.