Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

selec posted:

Yeah that was kinda the joke. You can do a Sister Souljah to a black woman then (and now, tbh) because they are assumed to be out of line by default in this society.

Try that on a white lady and you’ll get Squeaky Fromm’d by somebody with a Still With Her sticker on the Subaru

Lis Smith is just a temporarily embarrassed Democratic Insider right now. Nothing in those emails is shocking, only a little surprised at how casually stupid these people are about open records laws. loving sysadmins at state schools get their emails open record’d because some whiney kid didn’t get into the school he wanted. Yet these people all KNOW they have dedicated political enemies, ADMIT they’re being monstrous right there without any kind of minimal aesopian cover. And they don’t care because they know there are typically no repercussions for them.

Everyone who was in the TO: line of that email from Smith admitting she was being monstrous should have to sit through a Truth and Reconciliation hearing on how the gently caress they became such glassy eyed psychopaths.
They probably don't even think they need to hide it because they just assume everyone else is secretly thinking it anyway.

We're not that far removed from James "Drag a $100 bill through a trailer park you never know what you'll find" Carville just openly saying that stuff about accusers of powerful men and all these Gen Xers and Boomers grew up in that world with those attitudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

They probably don't even think they need to hide it because they just assume everyone else is secretly thinking it anyway.

We're not that far removed from James "Drag a $100 bill through a trailer park you never know what you'll find" Carville just openly saying that stuff about accusers of powerful men and all these Gen Xers and Boomers grew up in that world with those attitudes.

I mean, the twitter replies to any Cuomo news indicate that at least SOME other people are thinking it.

Big tent party means you get psychos like Smith behind the controls because there are no guiding principles or ideology that would prevent that from happening. This is how the sausage gets made; no wonder so many metaphors about Dems vs Republicans come down to a restaurant that serves poo poo and hazardous chemicals in some of their meals, when you have toxic assholes like this working the kitchen.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The ISS just cancelled a spacewalk to repair a broken antenna on the space station because of untracked debris flying through the area from the satellite that Russia blew up with their experimental weapon last month.

How long does it take for the smaller pieces to eventually drift into orbit and burn up? The medium and larger pieces they said could last for years.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The ISS just cancelled a spacewalk to repair a broken antenna on the space station because of untracked debris flying through the area from the satellite that Russia blew up with their experimental weapon last month.

How long does it take for the smaller pieces to eventually drift into orbit and burn up? The medium and larger pieces they said could last for years.

It was at an altitude similar to the ISS so it will take decades at the least for the debris to fully de-orbirt. It was really irresponsible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, that anti-satellite test was a flex by Putin and its probably getting exactly the results Putin wants, unfortunately. Russia already views the ISS as a waste and want to get out of it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It just dawned on me how Obama could make a powerful case for unionization by turning down the $100 million Bezos is giving him for that reason.

Or at least use the situation (or the money itself!) for union advocacy.

Because it's painful to read all the real reasons that workers have to reject collective bargaining, such as the workplace being eliminated, and also read that unionization is one of the ways that the left can change hearts & minds--in the same thread, no less.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

It just dawned on me how Obama could make a powerful case for unionization by turning down the $100 million Bezos is giving him for that reason.

Or at least use the situation (or the money itself!) for union advocacy.

Because it's painful to read all the real reasons that workers have to reject collective bargaining, such as the workplace being eliminated, and also read that unionization is one of the ways that the left can change hearts & minds--in the same thread, no less.

The same Obama that made some phone calls to bust up the NBA player strike to give a missive of "VOTE!"?

Come on Willa, even I know you're putting on with that one ;)

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
No matter what system of government they have Russia always seems to be run by complete pricks.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The sum of the momentums for all of the pieces of the satellite after the explosion will be equal to the momentum of the intact satellite before the explosion. If you consider each piece with respect to the velocity vector of the intact satellite when it explodes, some pieces will be blown ahead (and thus "faster"), some backwards (and thus "slower"), and some basically unchanged*.

The pieces going slower would either fall immediately towards Earth, or they will within a few orbits from the massive amount of atmospheric drag (their new elliptical orbits will bring them closer to Earth than the satellite's circular orbit height, which is already close enough to Earth to experience significant atmospheric drag).

The pieces going faster will either go so fast that they achieve escape velocity from the Earth and will hurtle out into space never to be seen again, or they will enter into an elliptical orbit that generally brings them further from the Earth than the satellite's circular orbital height. These elliptical orbits will have longer periods than the intact satellite's circular orbital period. Depending on how fast they are going, they may only reach the satellite's orbital height every few months or years; at other times they would be quite far away, and will experience negligible drag out there, so it could take a very, very long time for these orbits to decay. Years or decades.

The pieces that are basically unchanged from the original satellite's orbit will just stay in that circular orbit until atmospheric drag causes them to decay. It is likely that the larger pieces are in this situation. If the satellite was at around the ISS orbital height, it would probably take a year or so for these pieces to crash towards Earth.

* For simplicity, I reduced it to a single dimension. Obviously, there would also be an "up"/"down" and "towards Earth"/"away from Earth" component of velocity for each piece of debris, but these only change the orientation of the orbits a bit, and everything still boils down to the change in the orbital eccentricity of each piece with respect to the satellite's circular orbit.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

The same Obama that made some phone calls to bust up the NBA player strike to give a missive of "VOTE!"?

Come on Willa, even I know you're putting on with that one ;)

I mean, I know the odds are slim to none, but at the least it would seem an opportune moment for proponents of collective bargaining & unionization to point out the message that it sends for Obama to take so much filthy lucre from the world's worst boss.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

I mean, I know the odds are slim to none, but at the least it would seem an opportune moment for proponents of collective bargaining & unionization to point out the message that it sends for Obama to take so much filthy lucre from the world's worst boss.

Like he even needs the money. He got the money sickness. You hate to see it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Willa Rogers posted:

Make that money, Obama!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Beastie posted:

Kinda curious about what led to this thread being monthly.

Once a month, for one fleeting moment, we are all free.

Jows
May 8, 2002

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Once a month, for one fleeting moment, we are all free.

Make the last day of the month Purge day in the thread?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jows posted:

Make the last day of the month Purge day in the thread?

Tried that with the blow zone. The mods couldn't handle it and they cracked under the pressure. Their posting crystals are weak, and incapable of holding a meaningful charge.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
As far as I can remember the original cause for monthly threads was Radium-code causing things to blow up all over the forums if threads got too big.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

LSU is a public school that takes in about $135 million per year.

$95 million is 20% of their entire current endowment.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1465684552521822218

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

College sports is a plague.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Remember Trump wanted the DOJ to look into Obama’s dealings with Amazon and Netflix because terms of the deals were not publicly disclosed. And that Democratic politicians can not and should not benefit financially once they leave office.

(Though he only did that not because he wanted to limit conflicts of interest or enhance the fairness clause to ensure political messages were even on the platforms. He just hates Obama and his family with such ferocity.)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Can this even be fixed with regulation? Can we please just obliterate sports from the educational system already?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bird food bathtub posted:

As far as I can remember the original cause for monthly threads was Radium-code causing things to blow up all over the forums if threads got too big.

Mods are thinking of all the people browsing on their 56k modems, please don't modem-shame.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

True, although if you wanted to make the counter-argument you would note that LSU football makes a profit of over $50 million a year, after accounting for expenses such as coaches' salaries: https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_6cf42366-3edb-11ea-970e-5bd6522b3e13.html

Personally, I'm not a fan of the business of college sports, but under the circumstances I'm not sure an investment aimed at ensuring LSU remains a top football program doesn't make sense.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 30, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Make it a daily thread

24 hour news cycle babyyyy

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Can this even be fixed with regulation? Can we please just obliterate sports from the educational system already?

I'm sure most schools would love to only have the sports that bring in more money than is spent, but regulations prevent that.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Beastie posted:

Kinda curious about what led to this thread being monthly.

Endless mega threads are unhealthy for the forums, both for the database and our collective souls.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I'm sure most schools would love to only have the sports that bring in more money than is spent, but regulations prevent that.

And they create parallel educational systems within the athletic programs to support some student athletes, the ones who make the money, and they get graduated regardless of academic achievement. “Rocks for Jocks” as a science requirement isn’t a joke on every campus for no reason.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Devil's advocate: if you eliminated college sports, LSU would immediately crater in research & education rankings, because a massive source of profit for the school would vanish (and also their visibility to prospective students would take a huge hit, decreasing their admission standards measurably).

Edit: vvvv Now that I will definitely agree with. vvvv

mdemone fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 30, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

mdemone posted:

Devil's advocate: if you eliminated college sports, LSU would immediately crater in research & education rankings, because a massive source of profit for the school would vanish (and also their visibility to prospective students would take a huge hit, decreasing their admission standards measurably).

Double Devil's Advocate: The sport that brings in the money is actively harmful to the students, and should not be affiliated with an educational institution. It's hard to say "we're an institution of higher education" and "come get brain damage so we can make 50 million a year off of you" in the same pitch.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mdemone posted:

Football revenue goes back into the sports programs and to support the unprofitable sports required under Title IX.

Football revenue doesn't go into funding their research grants. You are probably right that it might lead to it being a less popular school, but probably not because of all the football players/physicists that will be going elsewhere.

Also, with these ~$100 million contracts for one employee, a larger and larger share of the football money is going back into football. College football teams are more like independent companies affiliated with universities than part of the universities.

Not to mention the absurdity of licensing player names/appearances for millions of dollars, paying coaches $95 million, licensing TV broadcasts for billions, and "not being able" to pay the athletes themselves.

And that all of these are public universities.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

we'd be more likely to obliterate the education from the sports system tbh

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

The Angry Bum posted:

Remember Trump wanted the DOJ to look into Obama’s dealings with Amazon and Netflix because terms of the deals were not publicly disclosed. And that Democratic politicians can not and should not benefit financially once they leave office.

(Though he only did that not because he wanted to limit conflicts of interest or enhance the fairness clause to ensure political messages were even on the platforms. He just hates Obama and his family with such ferocity.)
trump tried to get them to investigate because "it's pretty obvious obama made those negotiations while in office". the trump law of projection lets us all fill in the gaps on that

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

As much as I would sincerely wish we could, college sports bullshit and fanatics funds quite a bit of otherwise ignored and good academic institutions and projects.

Though I would love to see the end of Colleges and High schools spending a City's GDP on loving sports while their students can't even afford textbooks that aren't from 1999

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fun Fact: Alaska and Delaware are the only states where the highest paid state employee is not a coach.

The average salary (not including incentives and licensing) for a football coach at a public university is 7x higher than the President's salary.

Double Fun Fact: Dr. Oz is making it official and running for Senate.

Senator Doctor Oz's Miracle Anti-Cancer Legumes may be a real thing you can purchase in 2023.

https://twitter.com/JonathanTamari/status/1465710236593885203

Triple Fun Fact: After 10 months, the Ambassador to Canada was finally confirmed and sworn in today.

63% of all Ambassadorships are still empty because Ted Cruz has put a hold on every single one in protest of the Biden administration not issuing sanctions to countries and companies working on the Nord Stream 2 project.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Fun Fact: Alaska and Delaware are the only states where the highest paid state employee is not a coach.

The average salary (not including incentives and licensing) for a football coach at a public university is 7x higher than the President's salary.

Double Fun Fact: Dr. Oz is making it official and running for Senate.

Senator Doctor Oz's Miracle Anti-Cancer Legumes may be a real thing you can purchase in 2023.

https://twitter.com/JonathanTamari/status/1465710236593885203

Triple Fun Fact: After 10 months, the Ambassador to Canada was finally confirmed and sworn in today.

63% of all Ambassadorships are still empty because Ted Cruz has put a hold on every single one in protest of the Biden administration not issuing sanctions to countries and companies working on the Nord Stream 2 project.

Wht the gently caress is the Nordstream 2 project?

Also, how is Ted Cruz able to put holds on anything? The GOP controls nothing in the Senate, unless there is some pants on head stupid power sharing agreement

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

TulliusCicero posted:

Also, how is Ted Cruz able to put holds on anything? The GOP controls nothing in the Senate, unless there is some pants on head stupid power sharing agreement

The gas pipeline Russia is building towards western Europe.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

TulliusCicero posted:

Nord Stream 2 is a Russian gas pipeline.

Non-controversial ambassadors are usually confirmed by unanimous consent, but Cruz has been objecting - which any one Senator can do - and requiring 72 hours of debate for each nominee. This has led to a huge backlog and the Senate has had other priorities, so they have just put a ton of nominees on the backburner.

It's another example of the crazy rules the Senate has to "foster debate" that have just been held together by tradition and shame that can be easily abused.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Nord Stream 2 is a Russian gas pipeline.

Non-controversial ambassadors are usually confirmed by unanimous consent, but Cruz has been objecting - which any one Senator can do - and requiring 72 hours of debate for each nominee. This has led to a huge backlog and the Senate has had other priorities, so they have just put a ton of nominees on the backburner.

It's another example of the crazy rules the Senate has to "foster debate" that have just been held together by tradition and shame that can be easily abused.

And just another rule the Democrats could change with a simple majority vote, but won't for reasons.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Old James posted:

And just another rule the Democrats could change with a simple majority vote, but won't for reasons.

Senators have huge egos and love having the ability to jam up the entire country if they decide to throw a fit by themselves.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Old James posted:

Don’t even need that, Senate Rs have declared “unanimous consent” over vocal objections before and will do so again when they’re back in control next year*.

*I know, I know, implying they ever lost control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The way to think of the Senate is that it's America's House Of Lords, it exists to ensure a small coterie of inbred elites can stop the popular government from doing anything that infringes too much on the power of said elites.

Used to be even more like that because senators were originally just appointed by local elites and could not be voted out. The answer to the question "why don't democrats change the rules" is that they are the elites, the rules exist to protect them, and they all go to the same boat parties and country clubs as Ted Cruz so even if he is annoying them ultimately they are on the same side and in their eyes it's a lesser evil for him to abuse the rules than to change them and undermine the "but the ruuuuuules" excuse they hide behind every time they renege on a campaign promise.