Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
This is a bit right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
it's a consideration of what people hear not so much as what others* are trying to say

lmao anyways just let it go if you don't want to consider how metaphors about colors are being interpreted, but "tilting at windmills" I assure you it is not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eXdt1eGgCA

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Nov 30, 2021

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Good luck with your quest to rid the English language of all words which, when misconstrued, could be Problematic

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Nov 30, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
:lol: this is like a bit from Fox News.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

christmas boots posted:

stop hoarding the licorice you goddamn... I'm sorry, I wanted to call you a mean Scandinavian term but this is apparently the best that region came up with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_(derogatory_term)

Well I'm not Scandinavian anyway, and there are FAR harsher derogatory terms used for my demographic

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Shibawanko posted:

in holland we have balls that are sweet on the outside but salmiakki flavored on the inside and i always use them to gently caress with people

Yeah it's a Dutch hobby to get foreigners to eat their horrible licorice. At our old office the receptionist had a bowl on her desk. Some of them were nice and just strong black licorice but some tasted like they were from a litter box and I know the locals always got a kick out of seeing the face of some unexpecting person trying to not let black drool run down their chins after accidentally eating one of the horrible pieces.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Does it really clear your sinuses?

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Gripweed posted:

Does it really clear your sinuses?

Not really, though this might be the case for some of the stuff, since the strong candies often have straight up chili in them for added effect.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Humans are fundamentally afraid of the dark, in which they cannot see. The dichotomy is far older than the last ~500 years of modern racism, and would probably take longer than that to get rid of.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
okay now consider color metaphor in the present context of race... or don't which is what everyone else in thread prefers

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

okay now consider color metaphor in the present context of race... or don't which is what everyone else in thread prefers

Give it a rest, dude.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

imagine thinking that black friday was in even the top 10,000 most important problems facing black americans. imagine believing that, AND believing that the solution is to post aggressively in the PHUO thread of the Something Awful comedy forums.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

lol isnt it "black friday" because the stores get to be "in the black" i.e. they are making a profit? so the black is good??

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Muscle Tracer posted:

imagine thinking that black friday was in even the top 10,000 most important problems facing black americans. imagine believing that, AND believing that the solution is to post aggressively in the PHUO thread of the Something Awful comedy forums.

Problematic things capitalism has done to Black Americans.

1. Black Friday
2. Everything else

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Shibawanko posted:

lol isnt it "black friday" because the stores get to be "in the black" i.e. they are making a profit? so the black is good??

I always assumed that it was because the stores have made profits all year, they could afford to put on a sale. Then it became tradition.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I always assumed that it was because the stores have made profits all year, they could afford to put on a sale. Then it became tradition.

I was told ages ago that the term came from consumers not doing a lot of non-essential shopping in the weeks / months leading up to the holiday season. The day after Thanksgiving seemed to be the beginning of when Christmas shopping began in earnest, hence, Black Friday: the shops that had been operating at a loss (or "in the red") for a while were now making a profit again.

The big sales events came after this behavior pattern was noticed, as opposed to inspiring it.

I have no idea if this is correct or not because, as I said, I was told once ages ago and I haven't really had any particular inclination to fact-check it or the thousands of other self-evident things I was taught as a child, not least because I think the behavior around Black Friday sales is appalling and I refuse to be a part of it.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
:wrong: the answer was posted on the last page of this thread and is what brought up this discussion anyways. Makes sense that no one read it but give it a click it's a really quick read even for the smoothest of brains

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/black-friday-history-why-is-it-called-black-friday_l_5d951322e4b02911e1154386

it would seem the "in the black" framing is a little bit of corporate PR that people uncritically hoover up and repeat. I think for many fact checking things they've been told as a child must be an abhorrent thing

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 12:43 on Dec 1, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

For anyone who can't be bothered, the name comes from (of all things) traffic jams. Huh!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

For anyone who can't be bothered, the name comes from (of all things) traffic jams. Huh!

I think for many fact checking things they've been told as a child must be an abhorrent thing

Well, yes. It's just not practical to do, unless it comes up in the context of your later life. I don't mind being corrected and/or having the record set straight about my misconceptions - why would I want to have an incorrect idea in my head? - but I never had a burning desire to research the etymology of something I rarely think about and never participate in.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Makes sense that no one read it but give it a click it's a really quick read even for the smoothest of brains

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/black-friday-history-why-is-it-called-black-friday_l_5d951322e4b02911e1154386

Can you point to the part where they tie together black Friday and racism?

guys its just a total coincidence that systemic racism ruthlessly exploits and destroys black people while black idiomatically means bad and white means good

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I can't believe all these people are using the commonly-accepted use of the word instead of stopping to discuss the usage with the Target employee on the register.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

it would seem the "in the black" framing is a little bit of corporate PR that people uncritically hoover up and repeat.

Isn't this a little out-of-tune for your posting in this thread?

A couple posts ago you were lecturing us about how the original intent or meaning of the phrase was unimportant. What really mattered, at least at that point in time, was how a hypothetical listener could interpret the phrase.

edit: also, I question your commitment to avoiding potentially mean or bigoted words if you use phrases like what is bolded below

give it a click it's a really quick read even for the smoothest of brains

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 13:20 on Dec 1, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Ha, this is still going.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Robobot posted:

Ha, this is still going.

PHUO
Multi-page derails and discussions are fun to read.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It just means that we found an actually unpopular opinion

This multi page derail is what victory looks like

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Outside of people convicted of crimes against humanity, there should be no prison sentences over 20 years.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

oh there's a difference between unpopular opinions and unbearable sanctimony

edit: okay maybe that's not nice. instead here's a solution: replace "black" in the names of things with "vengeful." "vengeful friday," "vengeful tie affair," "vengeful hole...." I'll workshop that last one but it's all very :black101:

Rainbow Knight has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Dec 1, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PHUO: When insulting a particular trait of a person, that insult applies to all people who share that trait. There are no exceptions to this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

All car stereo places seem at least a little shady.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

PHUO
Multi-page derails and discussions are fun to read.

PHUO: this thread is categorically unable to have "derails." Jokerpilled Drudge's opinion was VERY unpopular and therefore on-topic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It is baffling that What Does The Fox Say was a hit

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

Outside of people convicted of crimes against humanity, there should be no prison sentences over 20 years.
FTFY.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Only swift executions.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gripweed posted:

It is baffling that What Does The Fox Say was a hit

It was written to be crap and provide comedy as they tried to promote the crap song in the US, however it went viral, became huge and completely ruined Ylvis' original plans.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Talking about food is extremely boring. I do not understand why people spend so long talking about what foods are the best and where and when they had them.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

thetoughestbean posted:

Talking about food is extremely boring. I do not understand why people spend so long talking about what foods are the best and where and when they had them.

It's because talking about food is harmless, like talking about the weather. You don't have to worry about offending people or causing some kind of familial rift talking about the BBQ place across town or where to get good tacos. It's like sports or the weather.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Local Weather posted:

It's because talking about food is harmless

New to the Internet?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I like food a lot. I like to talk about things I like

People who think food is uninteresting are scum

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah it's only any food that an American eats that magically becomes instantaneously uninteresting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't even eat food